Corehounds, Devilsaurs, and Mammoth? Oh My!!

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
malikith
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Corehounds, Devilsaurs, and Mammoth? Oh My!!

Unread post by malikith »

OK I know that many have and are looking for new versions of these. I want applaud the effort and hope some success is actually achieved. Both of these are exotic (which in general i cant use as it is my secondary spec. SV being my primary) Corehounds are a MUST have for Raids (in case of no shaman/mage) and Devilsaurs are the boosted BM version of a wolf. The problem is that there are only 3 skins for corehounds and 4 for devilsaurs, as such it severely limits the... personalizing... that pet choices (especially with so many available and becoming available) allow a hunter.

Any of you in Beta that can poke and prod a little to increase the awareness of this please do so.

Also wanted to throw in something I haven't seen mentioned. Mammoths. They would fit perfectly in with Rhinos, Clefthoofs and Kodos. This would actually round the family out pretty in my opinion (The current Rhino model is well...fugly imo) and add a lot of interest in BM tank pets.

Thank you in advance.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Corehounds, Devilsaurs, and Mammoth? Oh My!!

Unread post by Lisaara »

I think a mammoth would be WAY too big and I think Blizzard pretty much said they aren't going to allow us to tame bigger pets. We have a lot of issues with Devilsaur and Chimaera sizes as is. A mammoth would be 10x worse....

As for Corehounds, there were two other models but they're considered demons so are untameable. Personally, the other two models seemed too demonic to be considered beasts, as cool looking as they are.

Devilsaurs, I've never seen any others yet but I'm pretty content with what we got.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

malikith
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Many pets shrink down so yes of course mammoth would as well. Make them the same size as Rhinos are now. And as far as Corehounds and Devilsaur...they have White models now so its pretty easy to overlay a colour over them and add several other varieties. Add a yellow overlay over a white devilsaur and BAM a gold TREX. Add a grey overlay over a white corehound and BAM...a Black Corehound.Just makes more sense that if certain pets are an absolute for a Raid then there should be a larger variety of colours available.

Variety is key to a large hunter community so it would be nice to see BM pets get some love as well. (IM SV as I said but nearly all of the hunters I know are BM and I often see the same exact models of pets around me in Raids)
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Bestial wrath makes your pets grow HUGE. That's the problem and even with the natural shrinkage, the mammoth, i feel, would still be too big. I think they're too big as mounts too. Rhinos are smaller than Mammoths so I doubt they'd shrink to the size of a rhino.

I don't think coloring overlays are a simple as just slapping on a color.

Besides, we have a TON of new pets. We've got more than enough variety for cata's release. In the future, perhaps in a year, maybe I'd like to see these pet types(except mammoth) looked at. :) I'd really wish they'd make more sporebat colors. they're even more neglected.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kitairra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Exodar

Unread post by Kitairra »

And besides,Rhino's WERE considered large before...but seriously...have you ever seen the Hive Queen? Now that's large...lol! And she gets humongo(meaning HUGE!) under BW. And as far as I know,she stays her large size even after taming...unless they changed her recently,which would stink. I like big pets that make tanks sweat... :lol:

As far as Mammoths go,I'd take one in a heartbeat...even with a crappy special ability. I love tusks,what can I say? ;)

Kitairra
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Though mammoths aren't something I'd personally see as a pet or have any desire to tame, what's the harm in dreaming? :D We all have some special pets we'd love to see tameable. Not everyone agrees on species, but I think everything's moot in terms of what would be feasible. There are so many strange/huge/bizarre pets in game I don't think anything's truly out of the scope of possibility.
malikith
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Sporebats also only have 3, so I agree with you there, but sporebats are essentially PvP pets so I dont see them around often. (Id still like to see some more colours though). And actually "slapping on a colour IS quite simple i you have a white template (which both i've mentioned do). Just seems a tad off that if 3 hunters are in a raid and eahc pull out a corehound (only one will stay out for the long haul of course, that all 3 CHs are the same)

Yes mammoths are inherently larger than rhinos but to be truthful...Devilsaurs pre-Tame are...ungodly sized, so shrinkage shouldn't be much of an issue. Giant sized pets are an issue in certain old dungeons but in northrend and from what ive seen of cata..it too..is designed for large pets.

BTW. i DO love all of the pets (i could love the monkeys and foxes a bit more...)we are getting so its not me Naysaying. I just would hope that the families with small varieties (such as the sporebat you mentioned) get a tad more love.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Sporebats are sadly not PvP pets. Dumping their AoE in one spot isn't effective unless you have a bunch of grouped casters in a battleground, which doesn't happen too often. I'm hanging onto mine for PvE, but am torn. :/

They aren't seen around often because their debuff is even more situational now than it was before. I still like 'em, but I honestly couldn't tell you when it would be practical to actually bring one. It'd have to be a pretty specific fight.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Mali: It's cool. :3 I just personally don't see mammoths being a pet, nor would I want one and I personally don't think it fits with the rhino. i just think it'd be a whole can of problem worms ready to be opened. I do agree some families need a little more love, though! :3

Kali: you're right. I've been wanting to tame one but I've been....unsure. /cry

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

@Taluwen: They're lovable lil' critters and if you have a free stable slot to test drive one, by all means, do. They're more pretty and less practical pets, but if that's fine by the hunter, then more power to ya. :D Am still holding onto mine at this point regardless, and my stable slots are at a premium, between PvE and PvP commitments. ;)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

Taluwen wrote:I think a mammoth would be WAY too big and I think Blizzard pretty much said they aren't going to allow us to tame bigger pets. We have a lot of issues with Devilsaur and Chimaera sizes as is. A mammoth would be 10x worse....

As for Corehounds, there were two other models but they're considered demons so are untameable. Personally, the other two models seemed too demonic to be considered beasts, as cool looking as they are.

Devilsaurs, I've never seen any others yet but I'm pretty content with what we got.
The two in question are the Void Hound and Chromatic Hound. The former is a demon that's based off the model, the latter is a magically altered core hound dragonkin. Probably. We're still not quite sure.

That said, I'm happy with the offerings, if only because The Beast and co are just that awesome.

Also, I think I still have an open slot. Sporebat time?

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

This post's title gave me false hope :(
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

malikith wrote:And as far as Corehounds and Devilsaur...they have White models now so its pretty easy to overlay a colour over them and add several other varieties. Add a yellow overlay over a white devilsaur and BAM a gold TREX.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I can only think of one name for a TRex like that... LSU

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

There really, really should be more color choices for the current Exotic pets, yeah. I don't consider Devilsaurs very "big". They were big back in the Burning Crusade beta I'll tell ya that! lol Now wasps, now that's a big pet! Nothing's gonna surprise me nowadays with all-new tameables that Blizzard's gonna allow. Examples: Spiders made outta rocks, runed "dogs" and demonic "boars" (ect.).
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

yea silithids get double the skins with the addition of the colossus models....i think every exotic should get some new skins
Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Bellatryx »

Devilsaur with rune overlays would be AWESOME.
(why does Devilsaur feel like the singular and plural to me?)

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Bellatryx wrote:Devilsaur with rune overlays would be AWESOME.
(why does Devilsaur feel like the singular and plural to me?)
I think thats how several 'dinosaurs' are called, even for plural. Like i think that Plesiousaur is singular and plural.

Note I could be very far from the truth, just guessing. :D

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalliope wrote:@Taluwen: They're lovable lil' critters and if you have a free stable slot to test drive one, by all means, do. They're more pretty and less practical pets, but if that's fine by the hunter, then more power to ya. :D Am still holding onto mine at this point regardless, and my stable slots are at a premium, between PvE and PvP commitments. ;)
I wonder what petemote will emote to me...and now I debate which hunter should have one....x3

LisaaraPokefarm

Darkcrow
Realm: Kilrogg

Unread post by Darkcrow »

Wassa, what program did you use to do that to the Devilsaur? And where do i download it?