How does everyone feel about the pet offerings in Cataclysm?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: How does everyone feel about the pet offerings in Catacl

Unread post by Kalliope »

Veph, please don't flatline. x_x

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Well, I still wished for more families (Hey I can dream!), but I definitely can't say I'm as unimpressed as I was before. If Blizzard continues to put in the old/unused models like they are currently, I am certainly happier for it. XD

Snowwfire

Unread post by Snowwfire »

I'm happy with everything save the change to warp stalker's Warp ability...the tenacity pets got totally screwed-over imo...lots of tenacity pets got their tanking abilities nerfed into slows and other useless/less useful crap

I hate to complain when Blizz has made so many new pet skins tamable and overhauled most of the abilities in a really awesome way but warp stalkers were the only tenacity pet I liked and Warp gave them a real personality that I fell in love with...now I can't even bear to use one cuz it's so sad watching them not warp and instead using a ranged slow...which is soooo useful for tanking right? :P

Oh well...guess I'll just have to suck it up and get used to the change.
Antares
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Antares »

Mania wrote:I'm doing cartwheels.
I'm feeling overwhelmed. 25 slots really isn't enough.

Huntmaster Blightrunner, <Neverender> Thorium Brotherhood -- lvl 110 Forsaken SV Hunter

Rilgon

Unread post by Rilgon »

Fine with everything but Chromaggus. He's not a goddamn beast, he's a Frankenstein'd mashup of the organs and bits of dragons from every flight. </angry party-pooper>
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Rilgon wrote:Fine with everything but Chromaggus. He's not a goddamn beast, he's a Frankenstein'd mashup of the organs and bits of dragons from every flight. </angry party-pooper>
Ahh.. Rilgon. You haven't changed. Won't say more here. Don't want to start our war again.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Novikova wrote:I think I'd be okay if the rares have say, a 2-4 hour spawn instead of 6-24+ (The GM I put a ticket in for Aotona for said it could be up to a week. Wtf.) or something like that. Then you still have to sit and wait - but not too long that a student, parent or full time worker would have to sacrifice too much sleep, etc.
I think there are enough now that it's ok to have some with longer timers.

But perhaps the newer rares could be on longer timers. Kinda stinks to go tame a new rare and come back to Dalaran and see 6 others with them. It's ok to have some rares actually rare.

Of course, since we won't all be in Dallyland anymore, perhaps it won't be as bad, since we'll be spread across capital cities. Those rare will be spread out.

Edit...

And with the 25-slot stables, combined with all the new models, our pets should seem a bit more unique as well. Heck, there are 10 or more parrot models now?...
Account has been closed at user's request.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I was a bit unimpressed originally when we had monkeys, foxes, and mastiffs. Then things started trickling in bit by bit. Beetles, more silithids, shale spiders. We got pretty parrots, some more crabs. Then it seemed almost like all of a sudden, the flood gates were opened and now there's just this overwhelming amount of new skins. I mean, having mount-model cats has been a top desire for me since I started a hunter. I ALWAYS loved them, and now I can finally have one! I wanted the red warp stalker ever since I saw it, and now I can have that, too!!! When Wain showed us the jormungar skins from WMV, I fell in love, and now we get those!

I know there are some families that we haven't gotten, such as hydras, basilisks, stags, and my thunder lizards. And while I'm just a little sad that I won't get my awesome dino-tank this expansion, who's to say they can't add them in a major patch or the next expansion? They can't give us everything at once, because then there won't be as much to be excited about next time around.

Honestly, I'm so flipping happy about everything we're getting this time around. I think they've done a fantastic job of giving us a LOT of things we either wanted or never expected to get. They can't make everyone happy, that much is certain, but overall, I think they've given us a heck of a lot of love.

*cuddles Duskfang avatar*

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Kalliope

Rhyela wrote:They can't give us everything at once, because then there won't be as much to be excited about next time around.
QFT. :)

YouTube Edition

Ket Shi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ket Shi »

I mean, the developers did do favors with hunters -- BC and WotLK both introduced lots of new colors and species. But it seems like, this time, they're watching over what hunters want like a hawk. Aside from some species that still aren't tamable, they've given us almost everything we've wanted! They've fixed stubborn old untamables, stopped most color-changers, added in a bazillion unused skins, and made all sorts of rare spawns for people to hunt.

About the only thing I can think about still missing are some Outland chimera and Outland wind serpent skins and the white and yellow carrion bird. I wonder where they get suggestions on what to recolor/replace... There isn't much time left!
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Ket Shi wrote:They've fixed stubborn old untamables
I would really like it if they could also fix the stubborn old bug that has the pet appear with only base-health, not the full hunter-stam-inherited-health. That's a bug that I've seen on and off for as long as I can remember, and it's still incredibly annoying.

But yeah, overall this expansion has been THE hunter expansion as far as I'm concerned. Finally fixed the mana, BM probably raid-viable again, and huuuuuuuuuge numbers of new pet looks! The good stuff by far outweighs the few bad bits imo.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Ket Shi wrote:stopped most color-changers
Well to be honest I do like color changers! It's a fun way to have more than one skin without taming the same pet type more than once. However I always disliked that some unique skins where stuck on color changers. I'm really glad this was addressed, and if more color changer pets are added in the future, as long as their skins can be tamed elsewhere on a static mob, then all is good and both parties are happy.

OT: I'm overwhelmed by the ammount of pet models and skins we got so far. I'm still clinging on a very thin ray of hope that hydras and fen striders become tamable before Cata ships, or in a patch afterwards. One can dream! :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Slickrock2
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock2 »

As far as models are concerned, I can't see where we have anything to complain about now. There are so many new skins, and all pets are at least viable, if not optimal. We really have too many choices. :-)

And the state of hunters overall is pretty good.
Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Calomel »

I am bouncing-off-the-walls excited! I had to take some time to really think about how I felt about all the changes, and I agree with darn near every change they made. Even if I don't personally like the change, I can agree with it and learn to accept it! At first, I was really dubious about whether I would even like cataclysm when it launched, but I'm loving it and really really looking forward to it, now!

New families, new skins, digging up old skins that were just rotting away in the database, new models.... so many wonderful hunter treats! It got me interested and excited about my hunter again.

AND a new Corehound model that I LOVE SO MUCH!

The ONLY thing that could possibly send me any deeper into the hyperventilation thread would be tameable Hippogryphs. Or Hydras.

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

As one who would like to see Sand Reavers as their own family on the final pet wave before Cata hits. I want to say that every single new tameable rare I've seen blew my mind. All these new families we got...just..don't seem Cataclysm themed enough. Foxes, Monkeys, and all of that before an epic world changer? What? But as I got to see more models (Fell in love with the Silithud Boss models. Lord Kri. <3) I had a change of heart. Now as I spot Sambas, TerrorPene, and some old world bosses being tameable with awesome pet tags, AND Chromaggus. Blizzard really has out-done themselves this expansion. At first the new pets didn't seem like much. But the new wave has been bursting with energy on the forums.

I'm still hoping we keep getting more pets, in the final builds.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Side from Hydras my other wishful thinking seems to be animations... Just tamed the rare lava spider yesterday and I LOVE the skin don't get me wrong but barely any frames of movement on the legs and no swim animation in this day and age? REALLY? Compared to a crystal spider who was such a scuttley bugger it irked me quite a bit.

Apparently Cata coming has got me chasing after old world rares for some reason.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Rakurai
Realm: Altar of Storms

Unread post by Rakurai »

Right now, I'd have to say my only desires are hydras, the two untamable wind serpent skins, and secondary abilities for all non-exotic pet families if the hunter knows Beast Mastery (I want my warping warp stalker back, and I want a reason to use my cats other then for looks).
Umbriel of Halaa
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Umbriel of Halaa »

I am glad that all of my begging and pleading and whining on the beta in regards to the beasts in Winterspring seems to have paid off: We've gotten some low-level warp stalkers and new ravagers out of it. I am also glad that darkhounds, helboars, and Chromaggus are now beasts and tamable as such. The return of Gezzarak, the Sapphire Hive Queen, and the spirit wolf also makes me happy.

I'm still disappointed by the lack of basilisks, hydras, diemetradons, and pterrordax, the persistently limited number of chimaera skins, and the fact that what was done for darkhounds and helboars doesn't seem to have also been done for void terrors. And why add an entirely new ravager skin if it's going to—once again—be unique to a mob that's going to remain retired?
Kalliope

Death Ravager is likely to become tamable. Since the removal of the warrior quest prompted Blizzard to add the key to his cage as a drop off nearby mobs and there's really no other reason to get him out of there than to tame him, this is surely an oversight.

YouTube Edition

Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

While I still want tamable Hydras and Pterrodaxes, and I'm disappointed in the change to Warpstalkers, I'm very, very happy about the majority of new pet changes, even in Live, and I'm looking forward to the world blowing up with a zeal that's almost disturbing, when you think about it too much.

I mean, 25 pets! 25! 20 more than we had before! Not maybe two or three more, but twenty! No more agonizing over limited pet choices, no more of that bad feeling when you wonder if you should let go of a friend you've leveled with and loved for as long as your hunter's been around, for a shiny new one you just have to have. Now, we can have new pets and keep the old ones too! For that alone, I'm pretty much hanging out on the Moon with Elune!

The entirely-new pet families, like foxes, mastiffs, monkeys, beetles and shale spiders, while somewhat impressive, aren't what I'm really excited about in this expansion. It's all the new (and old) skins available for old familes, like the red warpstalkers, the demon dogs (single-handedly making the Dog family appealing to me, and inspiring my future Undead hunter), the purple spiders in Winterspring and the Storm Peaks, the cool purple old-world worm, all the new cats, the flaming turtle! -- they've got me hooked. I was thrilled over 25 pet slots, but now that looks like too few! (though I'm sure I'll manage). I've also made a new Hunter toon, Toeph, shortly before the patch came out, and got renewed interest in an old one, Leata.

Just give me a raptor spirit beast, and I'll happily be Blizzard's money slave for the rest of my life! (though I probably will anyway)

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!