I think I died a little inside...

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Minifig
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draka

Re: I think I died a little inside...

Unread post by Minifig »

krinnick wrote:Well was naming my pink brain bug "Jellybeans" acceptable? Unknowne-Elune
:lol: .. yes.. because they sort of look like a big jellybean.
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Nevar »

The Insect Man wrote:Hunters who don't name their pets *at all* make my head hurt. Better "ReallyBigBee" than "Wasp".

^ this - My friend has the green tiger named Brocokitty afetr Brocoli because her son pointed at it and said it was Brocoli colored - hes 4 and it was cute

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

krinnick wrote:Well was naming my pink brain bug "Jellybeans" acceptable? Unknowne-Elune
For some reason, I find that name rather cute. x3
The Insect Man wrote:Hunters who don't name their pets *at all* make my head hurt. Better "ReallyBigBee" than "Wasp".
^This in most cases. i wanted to leave Hyena as Hyena once cause Hyena is a character from Gargoyles.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Maqueda
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind, Horde

Unread post by Maqueda »

I suppose it's not quite the same thing as "ReallyBigBee" but I have a guildie who refused to acknowledge the fact that his firefly was, in fact, a firefly, not a "bee" as he kept calling it. I forget what the pet's name ended up being, but he kept saying "It's a wasp, they're bees, right? He's a bee!" /headdesk

Maybe I'm a snob, and I suppose my OCD does me no good either, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to names. Yes, of course people have the right to do what makes them happy, and of course my opinion is just my opinion, but it still gives me a stabbing pain between the eyes when I see pet names like "Pwnyoo" or something equally .... uncreative, for lack of a nicer term. Of course, then there's the names that personally offend me, just because of my own opinions, like a fellow on my server named "Juggalomage". Really. Who names themselves that? But eh, whatever floats his goat! Who am I to judge? :|
If you don't like it, fix it. If you don't fix it, deal with it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your: As in "Your grammar sucks."
You're: As in "You're an idiot for not knowing the difference."
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Maqueda wrote:I suppose it's not quite the same thing as "ReallyBigBee" but I have a guildie who refused to acknowledge the fact that his firefly was, in fact, a firefly, not a "bee" as he kept calling it. I forget what the pet's name ended up being, but he kept saying "It's a wasp, they're bees, right? He's a bee!" /headdesk

Maybe I'm a snob, and I suppose my OCD does me no good either, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to names. Yes, of course people have the right to do what makes them happy, and of course my opinion is just my opinion, but it still gives me a stabbing pain between the eyes when I see pet names like "Pwnyoo" or something equally .... uncreative, for lack of a nicer term. Of course, then there's the names that personally offend me, just because of my own opinions, like a fellow on my server named "Juggalomage". Really. Who names themselves that? But eh, whatever floats his goat! Who am I to judge? :|
Yeah...I hate that...I guess i have an OCD about that too. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

Aettis wrote:
Er, no offense, but I think you kinda missed his/her point. :P We're not talking about IRL pets here, just in game. I think named a pixel pet ReallyBigBee is much different than naming a dog ReallyBigDog, ya know? Just saying. ;)
No I knew what they meant, I'm saying I really would name an in-game pet that if I felt like it. D: What someone names a pet has significance to them and that's all that really matters. I mean so long as they aren't breaking naming conventions, I don't really care to see a crab named LOLDONG run across my screen for all eternity. :?

Snowwfire

Unread post by Snowwfire »

Taluwen wrote:
Minifig wrote:Uncreative hunters make my head hurt.
I know..... ughhhh....
That's interesting. I don't consider someone who names their pet something only they themselves can appreciate "creative". In fact people who name their pets some name that only has meaning to them and communicates nothing to anybody else or is such an abstract reference that no one will ever get it...yeah that's kinda the opposite of creative. If people wrote music/books/movies like that then no one would listen/read/watch them lol.

Hunters who name their pet something as an attempt to make those around them giggle are great. Basically it's the difference between the personalized license plate and the border of one's license plate having a joke on it. If I pull up behind a chick with a border around her license plate that reads: "If you're gonna ride my ass you could at least pull my hair" I smile...cuz it's a joke, and everyone can get that joke and at least grin. When I pull up behind a car with a personalized license plate that reads: "DWN<3GLT" I sit there thinking: "Wtf does that mean?" which is pretty dumb considering EVERYBODY ELSE sees your license plate and putting something only you understand on it is...well...silly lol.

There's nothing wrong with naming your pets names which have personal meaning to you; but there's definitely nothing uncreative or wrong about naming your pets something everyone can understand/giggle at.
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Moore wrote:
Aettis wrote:
Er, no offense, but I think you kinda missed his/her point. :P We're not talking about IRL pets here, just in game. I think named a pixel pet ReallyBigBee is much different than naming a dog ReallyBigDog, ya know? Just saying. ;)
No I knew what they meant, I'm saying I really would name an in-game pet that if I felt like it. D: What someone names a pet has significance to them and that's all that really matters. I mean so long as they aren't breaking naming conventions, I don't really care to see a crab named LOLDONG run across my screen for all eternity. :?
Aettis's comment was in reply to Taluwen, not you ;)

Also, I thought the whole reason for indicating my gender was so that other posters could pick the right possessives to use :?
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Phoronid
Realm: Silver Hand

Unread post by Phoronid »

I felt silly naming one of my new Mastiff hunter pets "Deeohgee", but hopefully it is a subtle enough name to be fun and not a *facepalm* for other hunters. :)
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Phoronid wrote:I felt silly naming one of my new Mastiff hunter pets "Deeohgee", but hopefully it is a subtle enough name to be fun and not a *facepalm* for other hunters. :)
Ehhhh......It's your pet but.....not really an ideal name......

LisaaraPokefarm

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I admit, I named my crab CitizenSnips. >_> And I had a snake named OnAPlane.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Novikova wrote:I admit, I named my crab CitizenSnips. >_> And I had a snake named OnAPlane.
Haha! As facepalming as they are, they're also really amusing. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

To be honest, ideal is in the eye of the beholder. I try to choose more native sounding names over netspeak or copyrighted characters, but that's just me. And I'm afraid my Huhuran is still unnamed, because nothing feels right yet, not for neglect. I soloed my way to her, so I'm pretty sure I earned the time to think. ;)

I'll be sticking with the Golden Rule on this one. It's healthier. If I twitched every time I saw a Japanese name in Azeroth, for example, I'd have seizure.

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

I figure it's subjective. I don't have any funny-named pets (the closest to a silly name is my dog Noah) but yeah.

Phoronid
Realm: Silver Hand

Unread post by Phoronid »

Taluwen wrote:
Phoronid wrote:I felt silly naming one of my new Mastiff hunter pets "Deeohgee", but hopefully it is a subtle enough name to be fun and not a *facepalm* for other hunters. :)
Ehhhh......It's your pet but.....not really an ideal name......
Oddly enough, it is named after the dog of a real life friend of mine.
He is of Native decent, and everyone assumes it is a native culture-based name.. until he says it slowly.

Every other pet name I have is much less silly. Well, except for my fox named "News". (That will doubtlessly get changed when the joke wears off.)
Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

My main pet that has been with me since lvl 10 is called "Wolf." Now admittedly I named him after Wolf in the book Wolf and Iron, so I was asking for the whispers, but it aggravated me to no end that I kept getting whispers from people telling me how to name my pet. >.>

I serioiusly thought about renaming him when I was in my 40s, but when my guildies heard I was considering it, they told me not to that his name was "wolf" and renaming would be wierd. lol

So, I don't let it bother me anymore. Wolf is Wolf.

Ironically, when I see other people who don't have their pets named over and over in Dalaran or some place, I whince inside. lol But, I generally assume they just got the pet and haven't' found the right name yet.

Edit: Only names that bother me are offensive names and ones that are all Caps or lowercase. >.> It has sorta become an in-joke between me and my one friend that her bear is named fluffywuffy with no caps. He was her second pet. After that she capped the first letter in her pets name because I pointed it out to her, but she wasnt' interested in fix his or kittykats name when I gave her scrolls.*rollseyes* As a result, I think I've grown accustom to non capped names and they don't bother me ad much.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Ijomi wrote:To be honest, ideal is in the eye of the beholder. I try to choose more native sounding names over netspeak or copyrighted characters, but that's just me. And I'm afraid my Huhuran is still unnamed, because nothing feels right yet, not for neglect. I soloed my way to her, so I'm pretty sure I earned the time to think. ;)

I'll be sticking with the Golden Rule on this one. It's healthier. If I twitched every time I saw a Japanese name in Azeroth, for example, I'd have seizure.
Yeah, I don't really like it or the myriads of anime character names but whatever. I guess Elves just really love Japan.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

You know I hate this. guys bitch about crappy names, then complain about people who havent named them yet. I have a few pets that I just havent found the ideal name for so they are still Wolf DEvilsaur, whatever. Then I get hate messages from people telling me im crappy cause I havent named my pet yet.
I know we (including me) are big pet people, and some pet names are just blatantly assinine. Like "Aids" Dummy looser. But some people just dont take pet names seriously and thats fine. To them is more DPS, ok This is a game after all. So names like Bob Missy Jake and other names like that dont get me riled up. And i sure as hell dont mind the pets being not named.
Xanrithe
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Xanrithe »

Redith wrote:
You know I hate this. guys bitch about crappy names, then complain about people who havent named them yet. I have a few pets that I just havent found the ideal name for so they are still Wolf DEvilsaur, whatever. Then I get hate messages from people telling me im crappy cause I havent named my pet yet.
I know we (including me) are big pet people, and some pet names are just blatantly assinine. Like "Aids" Dummy looser. But some people just dont take pet names seriously and thats fine. To them is more DPS, ok This is a game after all. So names like Bob Missy Jake and other names like that dont get me riled up. And i sure as hell dont mind the pets being not named.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with not naming the pet. Especially if you just don't have a name picked out. It is better than, like you said, naming the pet Aids or something ridiculous like that. I don't mind the silly names such as "ReallyBigBee" personally. But the people who obviously choose awful names like, "stupidpet" or something like that I always /roll at that. But, it is whatever? I love my pets! <3 LOL
Thank you Erwil. <3 http://shunka.failarius.net/
Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Gumballs »

Why does it matter? You (this is in general, not to anyone in particular) don't pay for the persons sub, so you have no right to complain about their pet names as long as they follow the rules. Not everyone cares about pets believe it or not. Or some do, but prefer sillier names to RP names, like my boyfriend. He has a hunter named Mswarrior with pets named Furywarrior, Armswarrior and Protwarrior. I think its cute.

The ONLY circumstance that I complain about someones name is when it is racist or prejudice. I saw someone with a pet named 'LAWLN***A' and I reported them and put them on ignore instantly. I have NO tolerance for names like that, on pets or characters.

Other than that, people are entitled to their own names and whatever floats their boat
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!