Tallstrider vs. Deathbringer Saurfang

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Tallstrider vs. Deathbringer Saurfang

Unread post by Tahlian »

My 25-man raid very recently asked me to swap from my DK to my hunter, since we were overly melee-heavy. Since I'm a dedicated Beast Master (and since they're kind enough to let me raid that way since I do pull my weight, even as BM), I'm trying to find other ways to help the raid out as I can.

I remembered seeing a post on the old boards about the fact that the tallstrider pet's family ability of Dust Cloud worked on raid bosses. I mentioned this to one of the raid officers, specifically with reference to the Deathbringer Saurfang fight, thinking that even if it's only one hit every 40 seconds or so, every blood point we can keep off him would help. I was told that there had been a post somewhere about avoidance being nerfed in reference to this fight, so that even if he attempts to cast or strike, he gets the point. I was also told that they'd do research and see if a giant chicken would be in any way helpful.

So I'm doing a little research of my own. Does anyone know if Dust Cloud will work (wark?) on the Deathbringer, and if his missing because of it will prevent him from gaining a blood point?

Thanks in advance.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Re: Tallstrider vs. Deathbringer Saurfang

Unread post by Ryno »

Probably works on raid bosses, just because it's not "OP" in the eyes of the official forums yet. As for avoiding a blood point, probably. Can't say for sure myself though.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Hmm. This sounds like a question for the Elitist Jerks board!

All I can tell you is that in theory, whatever scorpid sting is going to apply to, your tallstrider will cover, since it's essentially the same debuff.

Definitely would want to ask the experts on that one. ^_^

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Tahlian »

Well, I did find a post on the official forums where a non-BM hunter had tried a similar experiment, and found that the 40-second cooldown limited the ability's usefulness. But he also reported that it made Saurfang miss about 5 times during the fight in question. The hunter theorized that to be truly effective, you'd want multiple chicken-wielding hunters using a Dust Cloud rotation during the fight. I'm not going to ask anyone else to tame a tallchicken, even if I eventually do to try it out. We'll just have to hope that the cooldown reduction in the BM tree makes it a smidge more useful.

(As a side note, the thread in question came from early in the month of December, so if the fight was changed, the information might not be valid. I shall continue looking for answers.)

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Tahlian wrote:The hunter theorized that to be truly effective, you'd want multiple chicken-wielding hunters using a Dust Cloud rotation during the fight.
If hunters did do this, then you can bet Blizz would go and hotfix the fight, or the pet ability, making it not a viable strategy. Sadly, when it comes to things like this, Blizz has an "our way or the highway" attitude.

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Tahlian »

Not necessarily...there is a tradeoff involved. The hunters are bringing a pet with a family ability that doesn't do extra damage in order to give their raid a bit of wiggle room on blood points or runes of blood - if it works. They'd be taking a personal dps hit to help the raid. Those are the sort of choices that Blizzard encourages, if I recall.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Tahlian wrote:Not necessarily...there is a tradeoff involved. The hunters are bringing a pet with a family ability that doesn't do extra damage in order to give their raid a bit of wiggle room on blood points or runes of blood - if it works. They'd be taking a personal dps hit to help the raid. Those are the sort of choices that Blizzard encourages, if I recall.
Hmm, it'd be a tough call. I'd still guess they'd fix it somehow.