Yet another Terrorpene topic

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Yet another Terrorpene topic

Unread post by Lupis »

Checked Hyjal for the first time and immediately ran into him.
Popped a Potion of Speed, Elixir of LIghtning Strikes, Baked Manta Ray, and a Runescroll of Fortitude. Then used Corehound BL.
Problem was, even after all that I only had 38k health. Died four times, then he got ganked and killed by Horde.

Next time, I'm going to use my Shard of Crystal Heart, too. I'm also farming ore to get a 18000dmg absorbing Engineering item.

Other than that... Any advice? My closest try got me only 2/3rds of the way through the tame. Note that brining a friend is pretty much not an option, as I'll probably find him at 3am server time.

(Oh, and random note - at one point my tame showed up as 11 seconds, and that was with all my haste buffs on. o.O Just a bug, you think?)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Re: Yet another Terrorpene topic

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

Yup. That means your tame was actually ticking twice, but the first ticked for tame...it would have been about 6 or 7 seconds. :D

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Eeesh, 6 or 7 seconds with him doing... what, 10k every second?
I need to reforge for haste. x.x

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Heuristic
Realm: Firetree

Unread post by Heuristic »

Get some fire resist. +20 to cloak enchant, +25 to helm (Kirin Tor), +50 Flask of Lesser Resistance, and +52 from Drums of Forgotten Kings. 130FR will approximately cut Terrorpene's damage in half, and the above would get you 147. If you're a LW, there's also +70 to wrist as a fur lining.

Good hunting!
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Upping your fire resist will mitigate a lot of damage form Terrorpene. Either get the fire resist through gear/enchants/pots, or a paladin with Fire Resist Aura up and Kings applied to you.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

well this is what i did -

1) had a druid healer
2) i just saved up all the haste gear i could from quests and trinkets to ( i made sure that sure that it would have more haste then what i had on) i got a real nice trinket from a quest would grant like 710 ish haste for 20 seconds ( was the use for it) So haste gear and trinkets
3) Haste food ( baked manta ray) Haste elixer ( elixr of lightning speed) and Haste Potion
4) Had my core hound bl then dismiss since it lasts for 20 seconds

thats what i had

pertty much i ate the food and exlier, then healer hot;d me like no tomorrow.Then op bl trinket haste pot and PRAY! xD i know my tame can be doen to 4 secnds and sometimes doesnt show it
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Thanks all! I'll work on this as soon as I have time to play. This is my new project. xD
I just know he'll never be seen again because I was so lucky to see him the first time, but maybe I'll be lucky. Besides, logging on at 2 or 3 server time has always worked for me.
My brother is a pally - I might be able to beg him to get me Fire Resist Aura.

Can Drums of Forgotten Kings be used only by LW, or by anyone?

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Impulse
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Tichondrius US

Unread post by Impulse »

Safest way to solo tame him is to have 40k+ hp, get corehound's lust and dismiss macro + all the food/buff mentioned by others + stacking much haste and fire resist available.
I think I had 80% haste total, 147 FR and 50k~ HP for my tame at 81.
LupisDarkmoon wrote: Can Drums of Forgotten Kings be used only by LW, or by anyone?
Anyone
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Trying again!
This time I have 45k health, instead of 38k.
My haste is 14.29% without any buffs - with my Shard alone, 23%. I also have an Elixir of Mighty Speed for +225 haste, and a Potion of Speed for +500 haste. Also, a Basilisk Liverdog for +90 haste and +90 stam. Lastly, for haste, I have my corehound's BL.
For fire resist, I have +25 on my helm and +20 on my cloak. My minor magic resistance potion has +25 as well, and my Drums of Forgotten Kings have +52 resist. 122 resist should lower his damage enough.

Now, I just need to wait for him to spawn.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Dalthok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Balnazzar (Horde)

Unread post by Dalthok »

yup fire resist
Anjeliique
Realm: Daggerspine

My Tame

Unread post by Anjeliique »

The above poster was a huge help in the list of items to boost your fire resist. I tamed at 83 after camping him since 81. I lost him twice while waiting for people to come assist me. I got tired of losing him so I decided to take it into my own hands. I didn't have the +20 cloak enchant so I took my priest to Icecrown to farm it. My LW didn't have drums recipe so I power leveled that to make one (there weren't any on AH to buy). Got the Kirin Tor head enchant (luckily I didn't have to farm that rep lol). Finally I had my mage alchemist make me the flask (I knew grinding all those professions would come in handy one day. At the end I had 147 fire resist. I also got a potion of speed for +500 haste for 15 seconds. Now all I had to do was wait. I parked in Throne of Flames and prepared for the long boring wait. After a few hours my NPC Scan announced that my friend was here!

Taming
1) Pop drums and flask (should put you at 147 FR with the cloak and head enchant).
2) Pop Speed Potion.
3) Pop Deterrence and immediately start taming (Yes Deterrence does give you a couple damage free seconds against his fire attack).

All in all the tame probably took about 6-8 seconds, don't remember but his flame attack only did about 4K per tick with my fire resist. I only took about 20k damage altogether. It was way easier than I thought it would be. I was frustrated a little knowing that I probably could have tamed him 2 levels ago but all is well and I have him. I want to thank the above poster who listed all of the fire resist boosts. It worked like a charm.
Music

Unread post by Music »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Checked Hyjal for the first time and immediately ran into him.
Popped a Potion of Speed, Elixir of LIghtning Strikes, Baked Manta Ray, and a Runescroll of Fortitude. Then used Corehound BL.
Problem was, even after all that I only had 38k health. Died four times, then he got ganked and killed by Horde.

Next time, I'm going to use my Shard of Crystal Heart, too. I'm also farming ore to get a 18000dmg absorbing Engineering item.

Other than that... Any advice? My closest try got me only 2/3rds of the way through the tame. Note that brining a friend is pretty much not an option, as I'll probably find him at 3am server time.

(Oh, and random note - at one point my tame showed up as 11 seconds, and that was with all my haste buffs on. o.O Just a bug, you think?)
Tame him when you're at least 84, by then you'll have over 100k health and wont have any trouble at all taming him.
Alcama
Realm: Draenor - EU

Unread post by Alcama »

Music wrote:Tame him when you're at least 84, by then you'll have over 100k health and wont have any trouble at all taming him.
More like 80k at 84 right? But yeah, I was going to suggest gaining a level or two as well.
Aeliel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Aeliel »

Sure, waiting until 84 or 85 will make it easier. Taming him at 81 with accurate preparation and just barely living makes it feel much more epic to get him, though. ^^
-=[ Dreams of Iso'rath ]=-
-=[ Image ]=-
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

i tamed him at 84 and this is what i did:

1) tamed a throwaway core hound and named him WTBturtle
2) proceeded to camp for just under 6 hours
3) got an emergency call from one of my roommates who needed to be picked up from work
4) cursed the heavens, and instructed other roommate on what to do should my npcscan go off. turned up the volume super loud, and left house.
5) arrive back home with sick roommate to my other roommate yelling "IT WENT OFF AND I DIDN'T KNOW HOW ANY OF YOUR SPELLS ARE SET UP SO IT KILLED ME A FEW TIMES I AM SO SORRY!"
6) rush to computer, realize that roommate has already abandoned corehound on the first attempt. no time to get another! a hunter could come up at any second!!
7) get too close trying to see if he gets close enough to one of the rocks to trap, and die
8) fly back to find that i have a 2 min res timer OMFGOMFGOMFGSOMEONEISGOINGTOTAMEHIMINTHESE2MINS
9) res, bandage, pop potion and deterrence, die horribly, ANOTHER 2 MINUTE RES TIMER
10) tell sick roommate he needs to get his ass out here to heal me (FYI at 84 i had about 78k health)
11) when res timer wears off, i decide to try something else. i bandage and eat roast beef to return to full health. then i pop both self hots (herb/spacegoat) as well as speed pot/deterrence before attempting to tame.
12) HE KILLS ME AGAIN, BUT ALSO VANISHES, WTF
13) res and realize that I GOT HIM!!!

all in all it took just over 10 minutes, and this was at like 4 in the afternoon. how in the world there were not a million other campers on the 9th highest pop US server, i will never know!

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

Kittykat
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Kittykat »

The key to taming him is to have some fire resist.

The prismatic Elixir is VERY helpful, as well as drums of forgotten kings.

I used those to tame him on my hunter, along with core hound BL.

I had 40K hp at level 82, and he didn't even knock me down below 50% HP.

Seriously, get fire resist, it can be the difference between "Yay! Sweet new pet" and dying a horrible flaming death.