Hyenas?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
number13

Hyenas?

Unread post by number13 »

How are they for pets in the lower lvls? I've had a few hunters but never really tamed one, started a new one and have been pondering trying different pets though out the lvls. I normally go with cat, raptor or bear for most of it, if anyone has any experince would apericate it.
Congafury
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill

Re: Hyenas?

Unread post by Congafury »

I had a hyena for some time and i must admit i liked him, they are rather nice for questing - the family special ability slows down the target which was rather handy for me as a SV hunter (i'm too lazy to use MD and tend to rip aggro off my pet)
Don't panic!
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

one of my hunters has a hyena called Ha Ha, while another has one called Grin. I actually rather like the hyena as a pet, its ability is handy and they do decent dps
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

Ive never stuck with a hyena long. i love the colors of the purple one and the red one, and the skill is alright enough. works well for single target soloing and pvp and its a ferocity pet so its dps shouldnt be anything to complain about. Also its attack sound is rather funny.
They are alright pets, i just couldnt attach myself to one as of yet.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar, Mug'thol

Unread post by Rarako »

My main hunter has her lovely Scarlet Tracking Hound and I wouldn't trade her for anything! The family ability Tendon Rip is fantastic for when you happen to pull off your pet and if you get a runner (I'm looking at you humanoids), and the damage output is also nothing to sneeze at. I play on a PVP server and let me tell you Meza has saved my butt more times than I can count, plus she's so much fun to take into BGs (I prefer her over my chimaera), much better than any old cat or wolf. XP

All and all, if you do give one a try see if it works with your play style if not well no harm no fowl, but if it does you'll have a pet for life.

Many thanks to Vephriel for the amazing sig!

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Yeah, the hamstring type skill helps quite a bit in many situations for leveling. Probably one of the better pets for leveling a new hunter, compared to the skills of the normally used ones.

Gacheru
Realm: Maelstrom

Unread post by Gacheru »

I just recently abandoned my hyena. :cry:

They are great pets. Good for leveling, GREAT for PvP because of their slow. I leveled to 80 from the moment I could grab one in the barrens and loved him. I gave him up for a wolf for raiding and a bird of prey for PvP (Snatch pisses DKs and Rogues off ;) ) But will always have a small place in my heart for Hyenas.

Gacheru
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

I agree with almost everyone else--my main hunter has had a hyena since level 16 and I find them incredibly versatile. They do good damage, they're hardy, they hold aggro well for ferocity pets, and the slowing effect is always useful. I can solo easily with my Jia, and he also does very well in pvp. I've never run instances with that hunter yet but I'm sure he'd hold his own there, though naturally wouldn't be as great as a devilsaur or a wolf.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

As soon as my Petopian hunter hits the right level I'm getting myself a Scarlet Tracking Hound. :)
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I think they'll go good with goblin hunters.

Sphax
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Boulderfist Eu

Unread post by Sphax »

i remember back in vanilla the only reason i ever tried to tame a hyena was to get sprint for my worg

but that damn hyena with print came always in a pack of 4 and i always died :P once i had my hands on that hyena and learned sprint i abandoned that pet and since then i was like NO to hyena :P reminds me that bad day xD

Anyways this is just in vannilla so dont consider this.

But my opinion for leveling u should get a boar or a turtle that how i leveled this blood elf hunter (before they made the race change otherwise i wouldnt level a third hunter)

Good luck

/cheer

Sphax
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I think they'll go good with goblin hunters.
Ah man, that'd be such a good match from an RP perspective. :lol:

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I play a lot of hunters and what I can say so far is:

I leveled Karathyriel (male blood elf) with Gerethay (cat) from 10 to 80 and it worked just fine.
I leveled Irayaya (female orc) with Snowpaw (bear) from 10 to 50 and it worked just fine.
I leveled Ronkena (male troll) with Otomuri (crocolisk) from 10 to 50 and it worked just fine.
I leveld Aldert (male dwarf) with Jori (bear) from 10 to 35 and it wokred just fine.
I leveled Wesecahnay (male Tauren) with Shiriki (wolf) from 10 to 35 and it worked just fine.
I leveled Shoyajin (male troll) with Nura (hyena) from 10 to 32 and it worked just fine..
I leveled Slyskar (male orc) with Kema (hyena) from 10 to 18 and it... Well, you see where this is heading, right?

I think Blizz nerfed everything down so whatever combination of hunter/pet you choose, you'll be able to get the leveling done and enjoy it! It might be a difference when it comes to raiding and finetuning the last 0.5 dps out of your toon but just playing the game, have some fun and bash some head in instances, you'll be fine with whatever pet you like best.

Or at least, that's what I think. Tell me, if I'm wrong!
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Karathyriel wrote:whatever combination of hunter/pet you choose, you'll be able to get the leveling done and enjoy it! Or at least, that's what I think. Tell me, if I'm wrong!
No, that's pretty much right. WoW has come quite a long way since vanilla, hehe.