Male playing female ?????? :D

fatman
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul (both sides)

Re: Male playing female ?????? :D

Unread post by fatman »

For me, it's absolutely random at first, when I enter a new realm. Later on when I start having more alts, I have this obsessive-compulsive thing about "balancing" the sexes and make my next alt out of the fewer gender. Beats me why, I don't think about it at all. However, each time an alt is made, he/she automatically comes with a background story and each background story is connected to the other characters' background stories, which in turn might affect the gender choice of the next alt.

And let me tell you, the one DK per realm rule sometimes makes my hands itch. I have an Alliance DK in my current realm and felt very disappointed that I couldn't make a Horde DK in the same realm. Well, I don't really mind that much but still.... ;)
Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Vasken »

I'm female, and nearly all of my characters are male! Being an RPer, I certainly don't view the character as a representation of myself. While I'll admit I enjoy the looks of troll males ('DEM TUSKS BIE AMAZIN'), I don't mind the females either! Simply find it easier to RP as a male character, possibly because it's so different from what I'm like IRL! In short, I've no idea. Might just be a case of enjoying the aesthetics. :lol:

Playing a male character also means I rarely get asked about my gender and thus avoiding the unwanted attention. It's a win-win situation! :D

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

Pokerfase
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Vek'nilash, Area 52

Unread post by Pokerfase »

Because male Blood Elves are taken even less seriously than female Blood Elves. Double standard much?

...Okay, I have a male Blood Elf Paladin, but I see him as more of a comic relief character.

I'm a guy with a female main, but I probably have more male characters than female characters. My own gender is independent of which gender I choose.

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

my females are after either my daughter or my wife, my male characters are after my son. I do not play any characters after me though, don't know why
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Saturo wrote:All my males are either for personality (male undead are AWESOME)
This; was going to write up a long post but this explains it all. My mage is an undead male, I LOVE them, yet if I had to identify with a char personally it'd be orc female. And ofc that's what my hunter is. My first chars were nelf/tauren female, then I have an undead female warrior (awesome in plate IMO), undead female rogue, undead male mage, undead male DK, and let's stop there before I embarrass myself with numbers :oops:

Undead males are teh sex <3 I was seriously considering rolling an ud male hunter, but I cannot stand their shooting animations (their hands twist all wrong)--the females look great as hunters though!

I think if you like a race/class/sex, you play it. This is a FANTASY game, and it's about getting lost in another world as another person--there's no rules about being your RL self :P
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

zedxrgal wrote:So ......................... why roll a toon the opposite sex of what you are in real life?? :D
Because for the most part women make better men.

I've got a million of them. All guaranteed to make you groan.

Because male Blood Elves are taken even less seriously than female Blood Elves. Double standard much?

...Okay, I have a male Blood Elf Paladin, but I see him as more of a comic relief character.
I don't mind when I poke fun at myself tbh when I'm on my male belves. But I hate it when random people come running up to me, snigger gay/you're gay and run away like they're the trollface of the year award.

The downside is when I do play my male belves I sometime am mistaken as a homosexual even tho I am of the womanly gender.

Anyways my reasoning? I RP as male and female characters. I've dabbled in writing with yes, male and female heroines. Etc etc etc. Besides it's a game. It's about having fun.
Kamalia
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

I don't mind playing male characters because I grew up playing games in which the player character is male (Mario, Link, ect. ect.). I'm used to it, I guess. Though I do have more female characters because it's a nice change from playing males. Generally, the male character models I like best happen to be the lankier ones (Trolls, Undead, sort of Goblins) rather than the big beefy guys. Though I do think I become more attached to my male characters. Perhaps because there's so much difference playing the opposite gender they become their own character rather than an avatar of myself.

It really just boils down to the voice acting, animations and overall model for me. Genders typically don't impact my choice too much.

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Meh. I just play what I like the look of. xD I used to hate female tauren, but I liked the idea of big furry people, so I rolled a male tauren. I also rolled a male troll, because I don't really like female trolls. I roll plenty of females too, but it just depends on what I like the appearance of. I don't think about it too much. *Shrug*

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

Sorcha, that was the best way to explain it. I have made characters for all 3 groups.
Mr. Perfect
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mr. Perfect »

Sorcha Ravenlock wrote:As far as I can tell, there are three types of people playing MMOs (when it comes to this discussion):

1. People who see their character as a respresentation of themselves.
2. Peole who use their character to roleplay.
3. People who see their character as a tool to preform actions in the game.

(Ofcourse like always when you try to pigeonhole people, a lot of people will fall in more then one group and some in none at all :D )
Seems about right. I'd fall into group three, meaning the character is just the character. It's not some representation of me or some made up story. Different race and gender combinations do have a personality of sorts, so calling them a tool sounds a bit harsh. For example, when making a Death Knight it had to be an Undead or it would look goofy. Death Knights are Undead after all!
Mr. Perfect - A nickname fraught with peril.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I think that
1. People who see their character as a respresentation of themselves.
could probably also read
1. People who see their character as a respresentation of an aspect of themselves.
My undead mage is the vicious and quite dangerous part of me (which I would never express IRL). My rogue is mischeviously deadly and determined but cautious, like a cat stalking a mouse. My (tanky) druid is protective, as is my gentle resto shaman, and my hunter is curious, stubborn and intelligent. But these are all parts of the same whole.

I think watching how people semi-RP their chars on non-RP realms--when you KNOW they don't realize what they're doing--is like watching them exploring different aspects of their own personality! Either trying the characteristics on for size, or letting their hair down a bit, as it were.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Acherontia wrote:I think watching how people semi-RP their chars on non-RP realms--when you KNOW they don't realize what they're doing--is like watching them exploring different aspects of their own personality! Either trying the characteristics on for size, or letting their hair down a bit, as it were.
Hee, agreed! Although I've been very conscious of doing that myself. ;)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

Acherontia wrote: My undead mage is the vicious and quite dangerous part of me (which I would never express IRL). My rogue is mischeviously deadly and determined but cautious, like a cat stalking a mouse. My (tanky) druid is protective, as is my gentle resto shaman, and my hunter is curious, stubborn and intelligent. But these are all parts of the same whole.

I think watching how people semi-RP their chars on non-RP realms--when you KNOW they don't realize what they're doing--is like watching them exploring different aspects of their own personality! Either trying the characteristics on for size, or letting their hair down a bit, as it were.
Completely agree. :D I'm very fond of the idea of transferring to a proper RP server, but I'm a bit too skint to do it with three characters, and I could probably not be able to keep my main's name. :'( I've got stories worked around for my toons, but I never really get the chance to go all out with them because, well, simply wrong type of server.

My main is a male blood elf, and I love him to bits. My other two are female (blood elf hunter and troll druid), and the rest of the alt army consist of both genders (I don't really play that much on the rest of them anymore).
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm of the "my toons represent an aspect of myself" school.

Despite being on an RP server, I don't really RP that much.

However, that said, almost all my toons are male B.Elves. I find that they represent me well, even if they ARE a tad overly feminine (you're talking to a 200lb dude who was captain of his baseball team, worked out 5 days a week, and has one huge-ass beard).

However I also have a few female B.Elves, and they are really starting to grow on me.

Somehow, running through Barrens on my level 20 Priestesse, complaining about having to slog through mud and brush in high heals and a ballgown, well... it was just too funny to ignore.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Nia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sentinels - US

Unread post by Nia »

I am a male, and I almost exclusively play female characters. (The exception being my level 61 Troll Hunter on Nessingwary)

I play female characters because, I personally believe that male characters are too abundant in videogames nowadays. Surely female protagonists are starting to become more popular, but most of the MAIN stream games? Male leads. God Of War? Check. Halo? check. MGS? check. The list goes on and on.

In pretty much any game that I get the opportunity to play a female character, I take it. There's nothing more badass in my opinion than a chick kicking ass and taking names.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

erwil wrote:I'm very fond of the idea of transferring to a proper RP server, but I'm a bit too skint to do it with three characters, and I could probably not be able to keep my main's name.
RP :D A quick word of advice, though--IF you haven't played on an Rp realm. If you have, disregard :lol:

I love WoW as a place to relax, and I love the idea of roleplay. But I moved a char to an RP realm, and rolled a few new there. As it turns out, while I like roleplay, I can't play on an RP realm. Not consistently. The pressure to be in-character at all times (and the rules you have to follow, even self-imposed) took their toll on my "fun" level. As much as I adored "being" my char and interacting like her, having to turn up for RP events and the pressure if you screw things up (like a freaking macro accidentally spamming text directly into a serious RP setting >.>) gets pretty harsh. I'd roll a char on an RP realm first, get it to a highish level and take part in a few events before you decide!

Of course, there may be a way to do it much more casually, but when I do something... :lol:
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

Acherontia wrote:
RP :D A quick word of advice, though--IF you haven't played on an Rp realm. If you have, disregard :lol:

I love WoW as a place to relax, and I love the idea of roleplay. But I moved a char to an RP realm, and rolled a few new there. As it turns out, while I like roleplay, I can't play on an RP realm. Not consistently. The pressure to be in-character at all times (and the rules you have to follow, even self-imposed) took their toll on my "fun" level. As much as I adored "being" my char and interacting like her, having to turn up for RP events and the pressure if you screw things up (like a freaking macro accidentally spamming text directly into a serious RP setting >.>) gets pretty harsh. I'd roll a char on an RP realm first, get it to a highish level and take part in a few events before you decide!

Of course, there may be a way to do it much more casually, but when I do something... :lol:
Oh I completely agree. I've got a druid on Steamwheedle (alliance) and a hunter on Argent Dawn (horde), but I rarely log in on them anymore. The whole experience I've had there though, has been amazing. It's so relaxing and completely different world when compared to my mains' realm. But, I feel a bit pressured to level her, and I absolutely despise the elitist roleplayers.

It feels to me, like the roleplayers and players on pve/pvp realms are in the completely opposite ends of the table. Neither of them can really understand some of the problems the other realm has, and both feel a bit elitist towards one another.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Definitely. And trying to take part a bit in both is a pain.

The last straw, for me, was participating in a mock-PvP event involving one of the best RP guilds out there--the event wasn't PvP-oriented, but the Horde side was helping the Allies to RP something by donning disguises and pretending to be minions of an enemy, etc (names were forgotten for the event, and so forth, as we were merely playing other roles).

Toward the end, 3 good Alliance-side non-RP PvPers rode in and disrupted the whole thing; they were geared, and fought off a good 20 Horde at first (the Horde were in RP gear). But the Horde put on their PvP gear and easily drove them off. A few chased after them, and at first I thought awesome! I'll finally see some PvP here. This group will chase those allies right out of the zone!

But the guild I was in, supposedly very PvP-oriented as well as RP, basically left the people who had given chase alone, saying it wasn't worth it, and a good time to call the event, etc--leaving 2-3 people there dead & corpsecamped as they ported out.

I'm a big believer in solidarity, so I logged that char off dead (not rage, just meh, will come back later, shit happens, etc) and was never really inspired to log it back in. I figured if they couldn't be bothered to play the game past roleplay, I wasn't really interested : /

Edit--not to mention, the worlds collide badly. Doing well-organized real RP events simply seemed to consist of standing around while someone said in raid "<Ally Name> says <Horde Name> has too much PvP gear on, fight wasn't fair, we need to do it again" and "<NAME> JUST PUT HIS PVP GEAR ON, GANK HIM FIRST" etc. Lot of whining and raging, and very little fun, when it came to the PvP events, and some emo crap with certain RPers not getting enough attention for their poor dying chars during non-RP times, etc.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

i usualy roll female but i have rolled a few males. only one who i liked enough to level though was my blood elf pally Soleran. i rolled him mostly beacuse i like the male belfs more then the females. I cant stand the female animation/build/looks for some reason (no offence to the other belfs ou there =]) but i wanted a horde pally so i made a male blood elf so i would actualy like the toon i was working on.

second reason was I made a story for my troll shammy Zirithious a while back and grew rather atattched to the characters. So i made Soleran to keep lil Ziri company =) I couldnt help myself i just had to bring lil Soul to life! :DI was verry pleased with how his personality was transferred into the game too. x)

also becides the perk of have an elf with pretty hair (rofl xD) i can always just go play on him and be left alone whenever i get fed up with getting randomly hit on as the "hot night elf chick." *eyeroll*

wyndigo
Realm: Kul Tiras

Unread post by wyndigo »

If I don't enjoy the animations of a certain race's gender, I won't play as one. My character list is about 50/50 because I can't stand of the emotes and attack animations of certain genders.