Male playing female ?????? :D

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: Male playing female ?????? :D

Unread post by Azunara »

I play mainly female characters. I guess it could boil down to when I started WoW, I honestly was....10? 11? So my little mind decided to pick the pretty elves, because they looked neat. That...pretty much summed up my thought process back then. Since then, I've played a few male characters (My DK is male, and ICly, is Azu's father.) and I prefer male worgens over female. (I had an awesome male worgen all through Beta. He had a diseased wolf named Fel. <3)

As for RP servers....

Oh boy.

I've been in many guilds (Through no fault of my own! I swear!) and one of them was a fairly well-known RP guild, or Amani Shando. AS was nice, I liked it there, had awesome concepts but...there was issues between people. The core concept alone made it slightly exclusive, but that was okay. You had the guild, right?

The biggest issue was trying to find people to RP with. You had the older, well-known RPers and the younger RPers like me scrambling along. I got rather lucky but there were quite a few people who didn't fit in. Eventually, things happened and I politely left, sticking around in the major OOC channel as a way of saying, "I'm keeping contact, I'm not upset, I'm just moving on to a different guild."

And that's where I found my current guild, which consists of old guild members, my parents, and a lot of their friends.

So the problem I have now with RP is exclusivity. A lot of has boiled down to you are either in the RP guild, or you aren't and are absolutely clueless as to what happens. There was an event, just a party, I could go to so I went. And...was majorly ignored, because I knew not a single person there. I met all of two people, and from there, ended up being disappointed and did guild things with guildies, which was a lot nicer. So it's become a rather club-like thing. You're in and know everyone, or you're out and sit on the fringes of everything, clueless.
Celi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Saurfang, Oceanic

Unread post by Celi »

I'm a female who only plays female characters. I have tried to play male ones but felt uncomfortable doing so. I do have to admit though, I write a lot of high fantasy (one day my trilogy will be finished to my satisfaction) and all my girls are named after female characters... and the females are rarely the leads in what I write >.> I like a good strong male character.
Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstraza

Unread post by Loffter »

AdamSavage wrote:
Redith wrote:Im staring at the backside of a toon for hours on end, why not make it an attractive one lol.
That's the oldest excuse out there. Your toon has a cloak that would cover this up and even if it didn't then why are you even staring at his rear end anyway ? I could understand for the blood elf's as the male blood elf's do look and act gay.
That's mostly true, until I throw on my pirate costume then strut around. You can also turn your cloak and helm off, which I do usually. Most hunter helms just look stupid.
But for the most part, I play female characters because they ARE prettier to look at. also, I hate the male NE animations.

I don't understand people RPing. I mean, I know it's an MMORPG, but I just dont understand HOW you roll play on WoW. It seems like it would be really awkward, unless you are writing it as a sort of fanfiction/story as you go. It's not like the NPCs talk back. Do you just have a conversation with the kind of SW and pretend he's saying something back? What's the interaction like? I think I am gonna ask this on the RP forum...
Galahandra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Mazrigos

Unread post by Galahandra »

Well most of my toons are female, unlike myself. I just think the character models look better. jokes tend to be better, flirts more fun, dances are better...only male char I have now is a Worgen because I can't stand the female model or jokes!
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

You don't RP with the NPCs, you RP with other players.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

I tend to stick to my sex. In WAR I had to make a few female characters for the Dark Elves, and actually prefer to play as females for them. Since...you know...the males are even more feminine.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

I'm a huge tomboy in RL, and while growing up I always played with my brother's action figures rather than any "girl" toys given to me. When I do any sort of role play, I seem to always create male characters. I just feel more comfortable playing males. I also don't really like many of the WoW female models - a lot are too girly for my taste (though I did play a female orc for a long time).
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

I've made just as many female characters as i have males, cause theres no reason i can't. gender is irrelevent imo
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

I have mixed feelings completely about this topic myself...

For one, every single guy player I have ever asked this has always told me its because if they are going to be staring at a character all day every day, they at least want to be looking at a female one. I can -almost- understand this...so, to test this theory, I rolled a Blood Elf Male (Im a female gamer IRL), a paladin before Cata came out that I tanked around with till about level 30-ish or so. Honestly, it was kinda amusing at FIRST...but then a little later on I realized I just felt plain weird. I cant really see myself rolling a male character all the way to 85, even if the male worgens look bad ass.

The ONLY thing that really honestly irks me though, is that because Im playing a female character, and because I play "decently" and have good grammar usually when I am typing, I am automatically assumed to be a guy. Always. It absolutely never fails, ever. Girls don't play WoW? I -hate- that stereotypical theme-line I get every time I correct someone when it comes to correcting my gender when I am called by a male term. I would almost go along the lines of calling it sexist, IF it wasn't for the fact that alot of male IRL gamers do actually play a lot of female characters. Just stopping and thinking about it as of right now, every guy that I know in my guild, save one, has at least one to two, or even more female characters. Leveled ones, not alts. Two off the top of my head, their Main characters are female. I am all for playing the game however you want and enjoy, I just REALLY wish people would take a few moments to just not automatically assume that every decent player in the game is actually a male in IRL playing a female character. Come on, it just takes two seconds to think this I am sure.

So thats my little mini-rant for the night I suppose, heh.
Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

I don't think men should play women in the game. But they do it for basic, male reasons. They are what they are. Men wanna look at females, not themselves.
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Protego wrote:I don't think men should play women in the game. But they do it for basic, male reasons. They are what they are. Men wanna look at females, not themselves.
By that reasoning, females shouldn't be allowed to play male characters? Sorry, but some of us might prefer the opposite gender's emotes, or animations, or in Redith's case, butt. Because sometimes a certain gender of a certain race (female dwarves, male nelves and female worgen come to mind) are so god damn awful that you just can't stand them. Shouldn't you be allowed to play the other gender, whcih you might like more?

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Saturo wrote:You don't RP with the NPCs, you RP with other players.
Not true at all. I've rped with the NPCs that are interacting and talking with me. They are apart of the game and should be included.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Slickrock2
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock2 »

AdamSavage wrote:
Redith wrote:Im staring at the backside of a toon for hours on end, why not make it an attractive one lol.
That's the oldest excuse out there. Your toon has a cloak that would cover this up and even if it didn't then why are you even staring at his rear end anyway ? I could understand for the blood elf's as the male blood elf's do look and act gay.
You can hide a cloak and sometimes I do, as many cloaks are quite ugly. And I certainly prefer the backside of a female space-goat to that of a male, sadly, most shoulders look terrible on the female.
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Albain »

I am a male that plays characters of both sex.

Most of my guild is made of women who play male toons.

Most of my toons are male blood elves. 'omg teyre so ghey!!!' Yes well, so am I, so your comments about my dress wearing male bloof on his sparkly pony are ENTIRELY WASTED, go find something else to mock; and I don't like playing the twiggy ubersexualized little sticks WoW calls most females in the game. Orc women look healthy and solid, so I have two of those. I am debating a dwarf shammy. Female.

The females I play are females that don't look like they'll snap in half. No, I don't play them to 'look at some hot pixels', as no rear in the game appeals to me - they don't show off guy butts, after all, and girl does nothing for me - I play them because they:

1. Sound right when fighting.
2. Move right when running/jumping/attacking.
3. Not look fragile and helpless.

How they move and sound and look is more important than everything else. I couldn't roll an undead male because the way they ran irritated me, even though I loved everything else. I couldn't tolerate playing a female blood elf because she was a twig and her combat sounds made me want to rip out my own eardrums with a rusty horseshoe nail. Troll ladies almost made it into the listing of 'acceptable' but for waddle run and cutefase.

I have no issue with people rolling a toon of some other sex than what they are iRL. What's the point of playing a fantasy, escapist game if you can't escape something as basic as your gender?
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I always choose the gender of my toons so it fits (in my brain at least) the role they play.

A female warlock makes a better witch than a male would.
Warrior or paladin, in my head, should be male.
A female rogue is sexy, like a cat, you now.
Hunter, not Huntress.
and so on...

I have a certain picture in my head and there you go... Of course, if I have a great back story up my sleeve (Did I mention I'm a role player?) everything can be changed. Like I said, it must fit the role they play. And the role isn't always the class when it comes to role players.

So, basically, I don't have any issues of playing female toons. As long as they "click" with me, everything is just fine.

But, I admit it, I mostly play males.
Larkspur
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Larkspur »

I am (nominally) female IRL. I am a guildmate of Albain's as well, and I largely play male characters; mostly for roleplaying reasons, though even on non-RP servers I often find myself rolling male characters simply because a male character "fits better," whether for aesthetic or personal reasons.

Additionally, I've found when I'm playing a male character, I get fewer assumptions that I'm female IRL--especially if I keep quiet on Vent and don't answer questions about my gender. This has meant I largely get to keep my interactions with people sane, rather than devolving into the kind of insanity that plagues other female players of WoW.

Which, make no mistake, exists . This is a great introduction for the crowd of people who seem to assume that WoW's player population is by and large genderblind. It is not, and I get treated very, very differently when I'm "openly female" versus being "just one of the guys" and often find it a heck of a lot easier to pass as male on-line to keep my own stress level down.

So say what you like about sex appeal of the character, roleplaying, etc.; there's certainly a component of all of those in my choices, but it's also a matter of pure psychological self-defense at this point--especially given my very first day in WoW involved someone walking up to my female undead character and "having sex with [you] in the back of [his] car". No joke: I got e-raped on my first day in WoW.

It's a wonder I'm still playing after three years. :]
Kasdeya
Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Kasdeya »

I'm half and half, m'self; I have equal females to males that I play. Though I'm a female IRL, I tend to like the look of my character for their role and despite not being on an RP server, I do write my chars, so it's whatever fits best. Plus I got to stick to what's "pretty" to me, I guess. I don't think most females of most races are nice to look at, but the males are nice to my eyes, so that's another factor. XD I'm shallow.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Protego wrote:I don't think men should play women in the game. But they do it for basic, male reasons. They are what they are. Men wanna look at females, not themselves.
That is a generalized and absurd statement.

Either gender can play either gender, and not because of some stupid stereotype.

What does it really matter?
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
narone

Unread post by narone »

Because we have a choice, I've been playing MMOs since I was around 11 (EQ) even back then I was picking female characters and would always choose them unless there were too many in real life people around to try and embarrass/pick on me. Any whom eventually getting to the point of no longer caring I will generally always pick female characters, it just feels uncomfortable playing as a male character. Also am slowly changing my gender IRL, however in video games it is much safer, faster, cheaper, and easier than IRL. :) :twisted:

This is a kind of rare exception lol, least to other players I've encountered and have got to know. A vast majority of the guys playing female characters are completely hetero-normative and cisgendered. There are exceptions.