i blame mmo-champ :/

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Demonium
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aszune

i blame mmo-champ :/

Unread post by Demonium »

i currently have terrorpene ghostcrawler and jadefang. i dont care about madexx cos i dont like scorpions. i want sambas and karoma. ive seen 2 ppl both goblins with sambas on my realm although im sure they transferred to my realm, cos ive never heard of there guild or them before.

anyways twilight highlands was always nice and empty on my realm until mmo-champion. you may remember they posted maps and detailed info on all the cata rares. so now im seeing at least 5 hunters for each spot marked on mmo-champs map for twilight highlands.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and its always nelfs, they see me and then start following me around. i will never get these 2 final rares.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Re: i blame mmo-champ :/

Unread post by Royi »

i'm fine with others camping as long as they are actually hunters. I don't blame MMO champion, if I lose a rare to another hunter, i may be a bit sad but I never get angry about it.

I think its overall good because I know if i would lose a rare to a Mage or a Pally or someone killing it, I would be mad.

MMO did a good thing by explaining that these new tameable rares do not drop anything of significance.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Knobhead
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: EU-Jaedenar

Unread post by Knobhead »

If entitlement had a name...
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

Knobhead wrote:If entitlement had a name...
While I see your point, on the other hand there are bored 14-year-old on undead rogues who are taking glee in killing rares being tamed, and a lot more of them since MMO-Champ.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Xelophant82
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Bloodhoof

Unread post by Xelophant82 »

I haven't seen any problems out there besides mining. There are always like 10 or 15 people out there mining all the time. I can't even go to Uldum anymore. Rarely do I see people camping Madexx or Sambas/Karoma. Must not be in high demand on my server =/
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

Slickrock wrote: While I see your point, on the other hand there are bored 14-year-old on undead rogues who are taking glee in killing rares being tamed, and a lot more of them since MMO-Champ.
Checked AH earlier today, to see a Tear going for 500-700 gold. People can be downright assholes and put an awful lot of effort into grief others. But you can usually get them a warning/suspension by reporting them.

Word of advice with the rares though, try camping late at night of very early mornings. Twilight Highlands on my server has got an awful lot of traffic during the evenings, and I usually see more than three hunters on the same camping spot and loads of others doing flybies. Early mornings though, there's barely anyone there, which is when I've caught most of my rares. Try to make friends with the other hunters and find out when the last rare was tamed/killed. Be polite, little kindness goes a long way.
Gilnean
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by Gilnean »

Sounds like bad luck. I gotta love my realm tho. Like the people don't care or know about the rares.
I finished both Bloody Rare & Frostbitten within a month after trying for them.
Tamed every single pet i wanted within a few days. And i think i have seen 3 Karomas , 2 Terrorpenes and 2 Sambas walking around by now without people bothering.
One Terrorpene was probably up for over a hour, since i was fishing there.

Edit: In 2 days of time i also killed over half of the Normal Cataclysm rares for some profit. Bet some of them were also up for hours.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Yeah, it's annoying that hunters and non-hunters alike have flocked to rares - since it was nice having a less stressful camp. But oh well, them's the breaks. I've noticed Feathermoon's rares are pretty busy. I suspect being an RP server, well, looks!
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Victorelle
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg (US)

Unread post by Victorelle »

no one is really looking for rares on my realm... i might see 1 hunter looking for the turtle but never the other rares
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Last time I looked at MMOC they did not point out that the rares we are after only drop a 25g item... I only saw them mention something along the lines of "These rares are tameable".

There is someone else you can blame for the whole mess too. Blizzard. If Blizzard hadn't put a Silver Dragon around the beasts' portraits I 'think' most people wouldn't even see them as being special other than the fact they look different. To a lot of players the Silver Dragon portrait means the NPC WILL drop something valuable... and as most of us know about these beasts... a 25g vendor item is not "valuable" in Cataclysm when it is much more profitable (in more ways than one) to ask hunters in the area if they need said beast.

What the community needs to know is that certain rares drop the Tear and those beasts are more valuable as pets and asking a hunter if they need the beast might get them a finder's fee of more (maybe even a lot more) than 25g. I have been camping Madexx for two weeks... I would gladly pay a passer-by to inform me that it had popped in their location... and trust me... it would be more than 25g.

Some of you frown upon paying for a tame... but would you rather pay 25g-500g for a pet within the first day or two... or be sitting there for days, weeks, or even months waiting to get lucky. I have also had some people tell me that if they saw Madexx that they wouldn't charge me, because they know I have been looking for him for two weeks. ...I like those type of people.

I have only paid for one rare spawn (King Krush) and that was with 20 stacks of Saronite Ore. I offered 1000g for Aotona, but never had a single person say they found him... and I was there for 7 weeks... I only started offering the 1000g after week #2. Madexx, on the other hand, is a double-edged sword... I have found that offering 500g in General Chat will only bring out trolls who say they will pay 501g for someone to kill it in front of me.... and when I message people who are in the area and offer 500g or 1000g they are all for helping me, but 5min later they are out of the area. The turnaround in Uldum is insane.. there are new people in the zone every night and new trolls every single night, but the trolls' lines never deviate from the lines that were said the night before. The easiest way to fight back trolls is either ignore them, or say something about your tame being killed and as soon as they quit laughing post the offer for the tame again in General... they will be like, "wha... I thought you said it was just killed" (always with worse grammar though) and then you stay quiet.

People who troll should get better at it and create a message board so they can figure out who is going to say what which night and then make sure no one repeats the same stuff one night after another. :P
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Jäysee
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by Jäysee »

I dont blame MMOC but it didnt help us hunters any, I dont blame NPC SCan either since they added all the rares to their Overlay add on but again, it doesnt help us hunters. If you are a true hunter of cool,rare, or meaningful pets then you already knew about all/most of those pets. Now we have hunters who really didnt care what pet they had out out there looking for these rares. I hope most of the them appreciate these pets and dont find it a contest to see how many you can collect. I dont blame Pokemon either. lol I hope those hunters with their new passion for rare pets come here and share with the rest of the Hunter/Petopian society. :hug:

ZoMbIe BeAr WiLl EaT yOuR BrAiNs!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

What doesn't help is that for six years, people have been trained that silver dragon = loot. On high level mobs, the loot is even better. So for Blizzard to suddenly change that...it will take people some time to learn that certain mobs don't always drop loot. Not everyone reads mmo-champ (I rarely do), or comes here, so they have no knowledge about these rares except for past experience, which up til now has been rare = loot = kill on sight. It's just many things coming together, really. But persistence usually pays off. Give it a few months and I'm sure people will learn the rares that don't drop loot via the internet, experience, or word of mouth. There will always be griefers, can't avoid that, but I'm sure things will settle down in time. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

If only there was some rare beast that no one would mind you killing and taking the tear from. Then, next time some troll offers 501g for someone to kill your rare right in front of you, log into an alt and sell your tear to the troll for 501g. You'd simply have to resist the urge to thank the troll for covering the expense of your promised bounty :P
Well, you'd also have to get ahold of a tear in the first place...
_

@OP: "Who's the bastard who told you about Sambas? Here I go about learning about it, then some traitor goes and tells you the secret, and now you want to tame Sambas instead of me?!? Preposterous! Since I started camping him first, I get to tame him. You have no right-
"Wha?!? You're taming Sambas!?! Now you're not!
"Oh, quit whining at me - you're the one who stole my tame! Don't you dare tell me that I had no right to kill him when you had no right to tame him in the first place!"
Although the above is purely hypothetical, I have a sinking feeling that some hunter has taken a course of action similar to what I described. It's all justified by the same reasoning that justifies your anger at MMO Champ for them telling other hunters about Cataclysm tamable rares. There's a term for this point of view - narcissism. Don't let this characterize you, and recognize that every single hunter on your realm has an equal right to tame a rare beast as you do, and that MMO Champ is no worse for posting details on Sambas than whoever told you about Sambas (unless you found Sambas yourself during the Beta without having heard about him from anyone else beforehand, which I highly doubt).
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

In any event, the damage is done. Jerks will be jerks, and the word was gonna get out sooner or later.

I would actually suggest that hunters stop advertising in trade.. while you get some help that way, you probably get more jerks.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Slickrock wrote:In any event, the damage is done. Jerks will be jerks, and the word was gonna get out sooner or later.

I would actually suggest that hunters stop advertising in trade.. while you get some help that way, you probably get more jerks.
If the price is right and you act like you don't care... the trolls will leave you alone, and you'll have several more eyes looking for you.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I'll be completely honest: if I saw Madexx and hadn't come here, my very first action would be 'Kill the humungous scorpid and see what it drops!'. I *don't* go to MMOChamp. I don't know anything of what they post there. I just know that even in the login screen, one of the hints is 'Creatures with a silver dragon drop better loot'. Blizzard *themselves* say it, and I would be more than happy to jump on that.

The fact that the giant scorpid is so loved by hunters is actually a bit of a start to me. It wouldn't have occurred to me had I not seen it put here! Getting the tear would be what makes me stop and go 'oops'. Or having a hunter whisper me or say in trade 'I'd like this'.

Now, Karoma, or Sambas, I'd think twice. Karoma is a ghost wolf. A *ghost wolf*. That right there would be enough to make me stop and check. And Sambas is very obviously an elegantly-done mob. Terrorpene? I'd jump on so hard and fast it would make your eyes spin, but that's because I'm a turtle-loving hunter.

I'm not saying I did, or would, kill Madexx now that I know how many hunters are interested. But it *did* take coming here and hearing people talk about it to make me think.

tl;dr: I agree. Give people a little leeway, and give appreciation for places telling about them. ;)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

Cialbi wrote:If only there was some rare beast that no one would mind you killing and taking the tear from. Then, next time some troll offers 501g for someone to kill your rare right in front of you, log into an alt and sell your tear to the troll for 501g. You'd simply have to resist the urge to thank the troll for covering the expense of your promised bounty :P
Well, you'd also have to get ahold of a tear in the first place...
_

@OP: "Who's the bastard who told you about Sambas? Here I go about learning about it, then some traitor goes and tells you the secret, and now you want to tame Sambas instead of me?!? Preposterous! Since I started camping him first, I get to tame him. You have no right-
"Wha?!? You're taming Sambas!?! Now you're not!
"Oh, quit whining at me - you're the one who stole my tame! Don't you dare tell me that I had no right to kill him when you had no right to tame him in the first place!"
Although the above is purely hypothetical, I have a sinking feeling that some hunter has taken a course of action similar to what I described. It's all justified by the same reasoning that justifies your anger at MMO Champ for them telling other hunters about Cataclysm tamable rares. There's a term for this point of view - narcissism. Don't let this characterize you, and recognize that every single hunter on your realm has an equal right to tame a rare beast as you do, and that MMO Champ is no worse for posting details on Sambas than whoever told you about Sambas (unless you found Sambas yourself during the Beta without having heard about him from anyone else beforehand, which I highly doubt).
My fury isn't other hunters, it's "omg a rare i kan haz lewt!". Other hunters.. the more the merrier. Pet > dead animal. But most of the camps I see are NOT hunters.
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

i don't think it's narcissism to be a little bothered by the fact that people who would never think to check for rare spawns, or even know what they are, are now armed with npcscan thanks to mmoc. so even people who don't actually care about rare pets are now going to be drawn to them and tame them, whereas before they might have walked right past them. that makes things much, *much* harder for you and me.

same goes for griefers. they also now have npcscan, and are much better equipped to do things like offer sambas for 10,000 gold or it dies in general chat. do you think that guy would have run around spamming a targeting macro for hours to do that? no. he was just doing his dailies when his shiny new addon yelled at him. i saw this earlier today on my realm. :(

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Cozzene wrote:My fury isn't other hunters, it's "omg a rare i kan haz lewt!". Other hunters.. the more the merrier. Pet > dead animal. But most of the camps I see are NOT hunters.
The OP was complaining about the increase in hunter competition for the tame, not rarespawn killers. I totally understand grumblings about non-hunters killing or ransoming rare & unique tamables. It's the grumbling about other hunters trying to tame rare and unique beasts that seems rather self-centered.
Vetiver wrote:i don't think it's narcissism to be a little bothered by the fact that people who would never think to check for rare spawns, or even know what they are, are now armed with npcscan thanks to mmoc. so even people who don't actually care about rare pets are now going to be drawn to them and tame them, whereas before they might have walked right past them. that makes things much, *much* harder for you and me.
How does anger at _NPCScan equate to anger at MMOC? Just because they mentioned the addon? I was unaware that some people were unworthy of downloading _NPCScan. Am I worthy of downloading the addon? Are you even worthy of _NPCScan?
Vetiver wrote:same goes for griefers. they also now have npcscan, and are much better equipped to do things like offer sambas for 10,000 gold or it dies in general chat. do you think that guy would have run around spamming a targeting macro for hours to do that? no. he was just doing his dailies when his shiny new addon yelled at him. i saw this earlier today on my realm. :(
This, in my opinion, is a legitimate reason to be unhappy about _NPCScan. I'm truly sorry to hear about that.
Personally, my reaction would be to abandon a replaceable pet that I have with me, and fly over the spawn points of said rare. Once I find it, I'll land, tag the beast ASAP, and begin taming. Of course, I would fully except the jerk to then kill my tame. The jerk gets 'cheated' out of his ransom, and will then probably nerdrage at me. Thus, while the outcome is the death of the poor beast, I am at least are discouraging him from attempting further hostage-taking rather than encouraging him by paying the ransom. I would hold onto the tear, in the event that I can use it to sate another troll who is after the tear of a beast that a hunter wants to tame (and gold that I manage to get from the idiot would be split with the poor hunter).
Last edited by Cialbi on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Cialbi wrote:
Cozzene wrote:My fury isn't other hunters, it's "omg a rare i kan haz lewt!". Other hunters.. the more the merrier. Pet > dead animal. But most of the camps I see are NOT hunters.
The OP was complaining about the increase in hunter competition for the tame, not rarespawn killers. I totally understand grumblings about non-hunters killing or ransoming rare & unique tamables. It's the grumbling about other hunters trying to tame rare and unique beasts that seems rather self-centered.
On one hand, you're right. On the other hand, it is human nature and can be remarkably frustrating when someone waltzes up wanting to snag a rare from under you. Especially if the tag fight ends up in a dead rare.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!