Your choice to update a model.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dvalin
Realm: Lightbringer EU

Your choice to update a model.

Unread post by Dvalin »

OK since WoW has been out for a good 6 years now you can really see the difference between the original vanilla models and those added even from BC onwards that show a greater level of sophistication especially so with Cata. Personally I've never been able to run with a maned lion just because I hate the spikey look they have and I know people will disagree but I feel a lot of the old models look at least a little dated.

So I was wondering if you had the choice which pet model would you update first and why?

For me I'd probably start with the bats as I really hate the hole that runs along the side of their wings, I know its because its also the forsaken taxi mount but tbh thats just blizz being lazy and not making a better riding seat for models like that.

Feel free to post pics/artwork if you want :)
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Re: Your choice to update a model.

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Wyverns and Bats dear god. Botha re quishing masses that remind me of my godawful original cat form D:
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Isaba
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alleria~Nesingwary

Unread post by Isaba »

bats and hyena, I love hyena's, real ones that is, and I want to use mine more, but that awful blocky back breaking animation ruins it , they dont run like that. bats cus...yha they can close there mouths

*GenderQueer*Gay*Furry*Hunter*
I am who I am, and I am Happy.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Pet model to patch up? Imp, no doubt about it. I'd love the little guy if he wasn't made up of three polygons. xD

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Dvalin

Unread post by Dvalin »

Isaba wrote:bats cus...yha they can close there mouths

Yeah I hate the way some pets constantly have their mouths open, I was considering one of the Northrend saber worgs recently but I just didn't like the fact that they constanly have their mouths open, other than hat they are nice models.
Saturo wrote:Pet model to patch up? Imp, no doubt about it. I'd love the little guy if he wasn't made up of three polygons. xD

haha yeah, I know what you mean, I prefer the Outlands imp model, would be nice if there were a greater selection of warlock minions available or at least a selection of glyphs to add some variety, it would be cool if locks could enslave their demons permanently rather than have a set selection but then how many people would run around with one of the Eredar twins as their Succubus?!

So bats seem a popular choice for a re do, so what would people change? Apart from closing their mouths etc?
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm going to chime in and say Bats need a serious update. There's definitely something wrong when an animal I usually love doesn't even appeal to me in game. x)
  • They need a full revamp in my opinion. Their body is the most bizarre shape with this huge globe-like chest cavity that squeezes off into a pair of legs that bend backwards at times
  • The holes in the wings at the side drives me insane, I can't stop looking at them whenever I see a bat.
  • The texture needs a major update....it's particularly bad on the claws at the wingtips. They're like a jpeg image that was blown up to double its size, all jagged and pixelly.
  • That open hinge jaw has to go. ><
I can honestly live with all of the old vanilla pet models if I have to, but please give us a new bat that does the animal justice.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I THINK they updated the wingtips (claws) on the bats when they did the eye change (GRRRR green eyes on brown bat again please! :( ) but I could be wrong. The rest of it is pretty off though, yeah :lol:

I'd love to see the hyena models updated. More polygon count, higher resolution, and most of all, the old posture back!

Otherwise, they COULD fix the old-world cats' (not saber cats') faces so they aren't squished with giant noses!
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

WORGS.

Cannot. Unsee. Lines.

Ditto this for the wolves.

I understand why, for sentimental reasons, they might never be changed, but it's a sad thing to see the work become so outdated. They wouldn't have to change drastically; just clean up the lines a bit, y'know? There's gotta be a way to capture the essence of the being.

Honestly, though, my first choice for an update would be the character models. Then the troll druid models could be updated so they don't look so shabby next to the worgen...etc.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Normal cats perhaps, they seem to bulky. And smooth out the lynx a bit, I've always loved the lynx, but they are a bit.. sharp I guess?

Hyenas for sure.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Oh, YES, what Kalliope said, I'd forgotten that. I'm sure it's a bug, as it only appeared after the Shattering, but those bizarre lines all over the old-world worg models! Ewww :lol:
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I would only fix annoying texture bugs on models, such as on the old cat models all the bottom teeth are just a soild square and not cut out.

Like you can see here:

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Dvalin

Unread post by Dvalin »

Yeah I think the texture bug is aweful on worgs, wolves and the maned lions. I noticed it when I was going to start levelling my white wolf and decided I couldn't live with that, so went and found ghost howl and noticed that it looked even worse, the only wolf/ worg I can't see it on is the black coyote skin.

Kalli, what would your first pet choice be for a model update or do you mean a worg update generally not just a texture fix?
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

All vanilla pet models. All of theeeem.

And some of the TBC models too; mainly raptors.

Also Chromaggus needs better teeth.

Edit: And Hydras, as much as I love them to bits, they could use some buffing up to date too.
Annaika

Unread post by Annaika »

Dvalin, permanent enslave demon would simply be AWESOME, in caps lock and all!

I actually like the bat model. But I would really like to see hyenas get an update. They look soo old. For instance, their entire lower jaw and teeth is just a square.
I've also grown to hate the 'mane' on the tallstriders. There's that really ugly black patch of pixely ugliness. It's most noticeable on the pink and white skins
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Cat models. I love love love the cats, but then when I swivel the camera around to look at my new pet I inadvertently see those boxy, pointy cheeks and at that point it's all over. It's really once of those "cannot unsee" things. :( Like the hyenas' broken back or the holes in the bat wings... There are some pets I just can't get myself to tame because of these things. :(

Just look at those cheeks. :?

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

Cats; not the saber ones, the ugly cross eyed ones. With their eyes crossed. UGH.
Tallstrider's legs look... awkward. Like hey were poorly cut from MS Paint.
Bears; always in this terrible crouching butt-to-the-sky position with their front legs almost parallel to the ground. Ew.

And though they are recent and nice looking otherwise, I hate the mouths open on the worgs (Lookin' at you, Skoll :|). Glad Arcturis' mouth is closed, though.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Old Cats(lions included), Worgs, Hyenas....

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Anazul

Unread post by Anazul »

Bears, right now they only have one ancient model type with a big jagged behind. They don't even look like the fluffy maned bear shown in the cinematic for vanilla. Give me some fluffy grizzlies and kodiak bears please, and make them bigger once tamed, somewhere between rhino and the current bear.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Dvalin wrote:Kalli, what would your first pet choice be for a model update or do you mean a worg update generally not just a texture fix?
Well, it depends on how the texture fix would be applied, if it would require a major remodel to smooth things out to be more like worgen fur.

I'm very uneasy about wanting more than touching up old artwork. I would say that the old world cats need love as well, but I wouldn't want the scraggly old lions looking like Sambas, for example. They have character, even if they look like they're from a different game in some ways.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Kalliope wrote:
Dvalin wrote:Kalli, what would your first pet choice be for a model update or do you mean a worg update generally not just a texture fix?
Well, it depends on how the texture fix would be applied, if it would require a major remodel to smooth things out to be more like worgen fur.

I'm very uneasy about wanting more than touching up old artwork. I would say that the old world cats need love as well, but I wouldn't want the scraggly old lions looking like Sambas, for example. They have character, even if they look like they're from a different game in some ways.
Kalli evolved from blue to purple?

Anyways I don't think any of us want to see them looking like Sambas. Far to many people would roid rage and QQ and not just because they lost their lions.

But I mean even you have to admit that the hair could do with some work and the model itself to an extent. I think Sambas is used as an example for the majority because well like how druid cat models are, his is well even if it's the basic cat model, it's gotten touchup and work all cats could have.

IE more polygons, less balding lions.