Quick update for the PetAbandon macro

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Re: Quick update for the PetAbandon macro

Unread post by Pent »

Comett wrote:I just got an oil-stained wolf, as Alliance, but without the quest, using the dismiss+Abandon macro technique.

Honestly did not think I'd get it. Gave up after a while and went to have a look for TLPD while I was in the area. A couple of hours later I check my pets to see if I have one suitable for a heroic random. Lo and behold, "call third stabled pet" button is there! I have no idea how soon I got the wolf or after how many attempts because I gave up due to latency (around 500 is the lowest I could get). I was disconnected due to *inactivity though so perhaps the wolf didn't show up til then?

Anyway, I'm very happy with my wolf and I'm very glad I got the chance to tame it before the opportunity was completely eliminated :) Thanks!
For some reason the "new" pet doesn't [normally] show up til after a log or disconnect.

And I have no idea how this actually works... I just know it works.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Jroaeyl
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Jroaeyl »

I don't see why we need to tame a pet first, then do the macro in the second taming. But hey, it works like a charm! My lowbie alt hunters already have their own Ghostpaw Hunters. Thanks kaaoru!
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

I have been leveling up my baby goblin hunter over on Nesingwary testing this out.

On my main realm and my alt realm I was able to do this pretty easily. Both are listed as Med/High Population and I think both are EST time realms (I live in CST) so my latency is higher on both of those realms compared to Nesingwary which is a CST realm.

I leveled my Goblin up to L.18 so he had two Pet Slots and went after the fire boar first. With no haste or anything I started a 10-day free trial account character to throw the torch. After about 7-8 tries it finally tamed correctly and I got the boar (it only took me one try on my non-CST realm).

I am in the process of trying to get the Consumed Bear on the goblin now... I have leveled to 19, so I don't have to search out the L.18-only bears. I have tried the method on about 20+ bears and I have yet to get it to get me one, but when I was trying it my latency was always below 100 and it was around 12am-1am (the boar tame was around 9pm-10pm or so) so there was less people on.

I am trying to figure out why it was an "easy" method on my main/alt realms, and why it is proving to be harder on the realm closer to me... and I can only think that latency/lag might be the difference. I know it can be done because of the boar, so I'll keep trying... my mouse-clicking finger-smashing can only be done so fast.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

I wouldn't be surprised if latency were a factor; widening the window of time that one has where the PetAbandon macro will cause the pet to despawn but not actually be abandoned. However, a friend on my server who normally lives on server time (PST) but is currently an expatriate living in Germany, had plenty of trouble getting this method to work. In fact, I (being on PST myself) was able to tame an oiled hawk on my first try (after unsuccessfully taming many consumed thistle bears before finally getting one to work), whilst she was running out of oiled creatures by the time that she finally succeeded in taming an oiled worg. So, I think there are other factors besides latency at play here.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Cialbi wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if latency were a factor; widening the window of time that one has where the PetAbandon macro will cause the pet to despawn but not actually be abandoned. However, a friend on my server who normally lives on server time (PST) but is currently an expatriate living in Germany, had plenty of trouble getting this method to work. In fact, I (being on PST myself) was able to tame an oiled hawk on my first try (after unsuccessfully taming many consumed thistle bears before finally getting one to work), whilst she was running out of oiled creatures by the time that she finally succeeded in taming an oiled worg. So, I think there are other factors besides latency at play here.
Maybe.

I thought at first it might be level related, or how many pet slots (or pets in them) you have...

I was still having problems with the bears. My latency is around 100 or less on Nesingwary... I was standing there trying to figure out if my pressing the macro with my finger was actually quicker than me using the mouse to click it... and then I got DCed... logged back on and saw my latency was 350-ish so I ran over and tried the macro...

It worked.

Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Outland - EU

Unread post by Griffley »

Skeeter wrote:i thought i read somewhere they fixed the abandonpet macro, i spent 2 hours trying the lone hunter, but if this works, ima be so upset that i spent so much time trying to kill the mobs at the same time as my tame ends!
Anyway, they Never fixed the old way to tame Lone hunter ETC.
See here: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7082
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Griffley wrote:
Skeeter wrote:i thought i read somewhere they fixed the abandonpet macro, i spent 2 hours trying the lone hunter, but if this works, ima be so upset that i spent so much time trying to kill the mobs at the same time as my tame ends!
Anyway, they Never fixed the old way to tame Lone hunter ETC.
See here: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7082
Yeah, except this way is much easier to do and it doesn't require you to pull your hair out when you can't get that way to work after 50 tries.

...and before anyone jumps onto me ... I tamed all of my "appearance" buff pets (except the pink bear) on my main hunter using the Revive Pet method and not the Abandon Pet method...

Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

successfully tamed flaming boar first try today using this method! also tamed consumed thistlebear after about 3 tries, and the elwynn wolf after two tries.

i tamed a ghostpaw runner after half an hour of attempts (sigh) and have so far been unable to tame a princess with the ribbon, which is driving me nuts!

will update if i successfully get a princess using this method.

(all of this was on a lvl 19 goblin hunter)

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

ceronn
Realm: Stormrage

Unread post by ceronn »

Pretty sure this is finally hotfixed.....:-(
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: stormrage

Unread post by ilixirshy »

wow .. thank you pent! i've been trying to use the petabandon macro for a while now and it never took so i decided to use the revive method. after two days trying the revive method with the fern feeders i gave up. but i must say ur method was success. ur method took on the first try. spanx. /dance
Baihu
Realm: Barthilas; Ner'zul

Unread post by Baihu »

Acherontia wrote: It seems to be "fixed," after a fashion, on the PTR; when you tame pets like this (again on the current PTR, as of Jan. 25th), you cannot move any abilities to their action bar--even after a relog.
This already happens on Live. I accidentally took out my old Lone Hunter in an arena and poof went the sword. So I went back to get him again (PS, yes macro still works. Hotfix made it a little tougher but not impossible to do it again).

A way around the lock on action bars is that you spec your pet until it gets its custom abilities (Call of the Wild, Rabid, Dash etc.) They'll appear on his bar. Then you just drag and replace them with the abilities you do want on the bar. Unspec him and the abilities he naturally has won't disappear from his bar and then you can respec it again to gain them back (fyi, the abilities gained from speccing do not get locked and can be moved around normally).
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

ok got the oil worg useing the two empty space tame, tame again and spam petabandon....thank you!

Named him GreasLiting (Grease Lighting) hope people can figure out my short hand on the name...lol. Blizz should let us make pet names longger.
Endlessagony
Realm: black dragonflight

Unread post by Endlessagony »

Anyone try this with the Devilsaurs? Do they keep their size?
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Endlessagony wrote:Anyone try this with the Devilsaurs? Do they keep their size?
Nope, that's a completely different mechanic.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Size isn't a buff as such, unless there's something specifically coded to make a beast smaller or larger--so it won't affect a tamed pet's final size.

Edit--I was beaten to it! :lol:
Endlessagony
Realm: black dragonflight

Unread post by Endlessagony »

Aww ok thanks for clearing that up. Would have been nice. :D :D
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

lol....I'd LOVE it if Yummz was her funny size! Though I do allready have enough probblems fitting into all the cities being my big cow self..lol...but it would still be neat.
Samskeyti
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel EU

Unread post by Samskeyti »

Just to quickly note, I just tamed a crab holding a bottle (Silt crawler) in 4.1 using the petabandon script macro. Tamed one, dismissed it, tamed another, spammed the macro when the tame had 2secs left. Tried to tame a third and it said that there are no free stable slots, so I knew it worked :-) Relogged, and there, drunken crab.
I have to add that when I clicked the macro with the mouse, it didn't work, but pressing the key instead worked like a charm.
penicillin

Unread post by penicillin »

Thankyou for the information on using 2 empty petslots. Had been trying to get Consumed Thistle Bear but did not succeed untill I read this thread. Nice to have this on my 19 twink hunter as the Flaming Boars seems to be quite common in this xp-of bracket now (had mine a while and tamed it using the revive pet method).
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I've tried atleast 50 boars....xx; Still cant get one.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine