Random "Pet Theme" Challenge

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Re: Random "Pet Theme" Challenge

Unread post by Mozag »

Googie and Her Sci-Fi Eight

Part I

Chapter I

In which the hunter becomes the hunted.

Day 1.
Managed to scrounge up some writing materials and bits of paper. I hope they'll keep me from going mad in this place. Still no sign of Scott.

Day 2.
I've wandered up and down these beaches, helping to find other survivors, and hoping to catch a glimpse of Scott. I've seen crabs of many shapes and sizes, but no Scott. I know he must be out there somewhere.

Day 3.
Recruited for raptor-killing today, but my heart wasn't in it. The exploding monkeys raised a feeble smile.

Day 4.
I knew he'd return! He looks a lot like the other crabs here, but I knew he was my Scott the minute he grasped my hand with a claw. He's always been needy that way. Maybe because of the trauma of almost ending up in a cooking pot. Well, whatever, I have him with me, and I'm sure us survivors will think of a way to get out of this mess! Hope is shining bright for this Goblin again.

Day 5.
Can't shake the feeling that I'm being watched. No matter where I bunk down for the night, no matter how far Scott and I travel these beaches in the hopes of some small amounts of solitude, we can't shake the sensation. It gives me the creeps.

Day 8.
Still no real updates. The same sense of being stalked persists. We're trying to make some sort of living here temporarily, but I miss the creature comforts of home. I think I'll go for a walk alone tonight.

Day 9.
He found me. A lonely remnant of the raptors we slaughtered some days ago. It still makes my spine crawl when I imagine how he has followed me from campsite to campsite for all these days. How he has hounded my steps during the day, and haunted my dreams at night. I can't say I like him, but he's malnourished and alone, and I can't leave him here. Maybe I'll just give him something to eat and let him bunk down for the night.

Day 11.
I called him Brad. Scott remains unimpressed.

The Looks:

Let's face it. Brad's colouration is not only ugly, but clashes pretty horribly with Googie's skin and hair tones. I've always been rather fond of the Outland raptor model, and have a pair of them on other hunters. But from all the colours they display, this is the only one I've always looked at and said "yick". But, to my wonder and surprise, I found that this skin has its' merits as well.

The contrast in colours is far more obvious here than in either the red or blue model (which I have), and I realised how lovely the markings look, particularly on the legs.

I also really like the scales.

But boy, oh boy is the chap ugly from the front!

In fact, that screenshot of Brad from the front is the only time I feel that this animal is "sci-fi". The model, sounds and animations are all raptor like, and don't seem out of place on him, which probably helps with making the animal seem less alien, though clearly all the weird spikes and colours of the model would indicate otherwise.

Brad's skills will be evaluated in a future post, once I've run around with him enough.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Re: The Themed Pet Challenge

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Cerah wrote: See, this is why I stopped doing the challenges. I really don't understand why it's considered such as pain in the ass for me to not want duplicates of the same pet on one character. I tried being reasonable, picking the hunter who has the least number of pets for this particular challenge -- I'd even be willing to level her up a bit more, but that's still apparently not good enough.

Don't expect any reviews from me. I'm not putting the time and effort into doing these challenges anymore if I'm treated like public enemy #1 for actually wanting variety in my pets.
I fail to see how anyone's treating you like public enemy number one here. Ache was pretty nice in what she said.

Also, do you have any idea how long it takes to do rolls for people? Especially once they set a huge number of limits? I imagine coordinating these theme challenges probably takes even longer than the single pet challenge, and once those challenges start backing up, it can take an hour sometimes doing all of the rolls and then making the post and formatting it.

I also don't see the issue with taming a pet you already had. It says right on the front page to make a report on a pet if you already have it. Who better to make a report about a pet than you if you have it and are familiar with it already? These challenges are also done for the community as much as they are done for us so refusing pets because you don't want them doesn't really help the community. If all you're looking for is variety in your hunter's stables for your own benefit, then it's just as easy for you to roll random pets for yourself and try them out. :)

I'm sorry if that came off mean, but that kind of attitude about something that's supposed to be to get us to try new/different pets for ourselves AND the community kind of irks me.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment about the reviews Ache, much appreciated. ^_^
I'm glad they're not too long or anything. I'll be getting to work on the undead guys shortly. :D

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Re: The Themed Pet Challenge

Unread post by Cerah »

TygerDarkstorm wrote: I fail to see how anyone's treating you like public enemy number one here. Ache was pretty nice in what she said.

Also, do you have any idea how long it takes to do rolls for people? Especially once they set a huge number of limits? I imagine coordinating these theme challenges probably takes even longer than the single pet challenge, and once those challenges start backing up, it can take an hour sometimes doing all of the rolls and then making the post and formatting it.

I also don't see the issue with taming a pet you already had. It says right on the front page to make a report on a pet if you already have it. Who better to make a report about a pet than you if you have it and are familiar with it already? These challenges are also done for the community as much as they are done for us so refusing pets because you don't want them doesn't really help the community. If all you're looking for is variety in your hunter's stables for your own benefit, then it's just as easy for you to roll random pets for yourself and try them out. :)

I'm sorry if that came off mean, but that kind of attitude about something that's supposed to be to get us to try new/different pets for ourselves AND the community kind of irks me.
I'm in 4th year university right now, struggling to get through my final semester, and I don't have the time to waste taming pets that I'll just abandon anyway because I already have one of its family in my stables. That and I can't stand Tallstriders (and I did try taming one way back in the first pet challenge thread -- it went terribly), monkeys or gorillas anymore than someone with arachnophobia could stand spiders.

I'm sorry if I came off as snappy and rude, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around a 1500-word essay on genre as a social action, based on these boring-as-hell research articles, that's supposed to be due this afternoon when I haven't even started it yet, the same essay I got irreversively stuck on the first time I attempted, and failled this course, and I couldn't talk to my Prof about it beforehand because we had a snow day on Wednesday! I just came on the boards for a little, tiny break, only to find myself getting told off for daring to want different pets than the ones I already have for a challenge I probably won't have the time to do anytime before next week anyway! WoW is like the only thing I do for fun, and when I'm getting yelled at for my preferences there on top of everything else -- well, it's just adding to my stress level. When a volcano's pressure builds, some lava's going to leak out.

I appologize if the needs of the community weren't exactly first and foremost on my mind. Just forget I said anything about wanting to take this challenge at all.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Nobody is even yelling at you so I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from.

Also, there were rules set up on the first page about this particular challenge.

Like I said, if all you're looking for in your stables is variety for yourself, then you can roll the pets for yourself as well since you say you don't have time for the challenges anyway.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

@ Cerah: I'm sorry to hear about the stress in your Uni life, and hope it gets sorted out. As Tyger said, it takes a very long time to sort these out and format the posts--especially with the themes rather than individual pets. We're doing this for fun, and it stops being fun when it takes so long. That's why the rules included:

* If you have restrictions, post them in the form. Please do NOT say "could you reroll pet X" if it wasn't listed, and don't link to your entire Armory--I haven't the time to go through stables, sadly. If you've tamed the pet in the past, tame it again or post a review from memory.

on the first post. If it's going to be unfun for you this way then you might want to use the single-pet challenge over here, where it probably isn't as time-consuming to sort through someone's armory.

I definitely wasn't telling you off--as explanation, each theme has a preset of 3-5 pet families, and you'd eliminated a full third of the total pets :lol: It took literally over twenty minutes for me to search through your pets and compare them to each of the themes in turn. Sorry if I came off nasty somehow; I was actually trying to be particularly nice about it.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Separate reply:

GOOGIE. I mean, Mozag. But GOOGIE. I love your journal-style review :lol: The raptor looks cool--and it's not even the sort of thing I normally like. I particularly love the screenshot with him peeking out from the leaves! It is so Jurassic Park.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Googie's travels in the future and her meetings & developments with these pets :D
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

Acherontia wrote:@ Cerah: I'm sorry to hear about the stress in your Uni life, and hope it gets sorted out. As Tyger said, it takes a very long time to sort these out and format the posts--especially with the themes rather than individual pets. We're doing this for fun, and it stops being fun when it takes so long. That's why the rules included:

* If you have restrictions, post them in the form. Please do NOT say "could you reroll pet X" if it wasn't listed, and don't link to your entire Armory--I haven't the time to go through stables, sadly. If you've tamed the pet in the past, tame it again or post a review from memory.

on the first post. If it's going to be unfun for you this way then you might want to use the single-pet challenge over here, where it probably isn't as time-consuming to sort through someone's armory.

I definitely wasn't telling you off--as explanation, each theme has a preset of 3-5 pet families, and you'd eliminated a full third of the total pets :lol: It took literally over twenty minutes for me to search through your pets and compare them to each of the themes in turn. Sorry if I came off nasty somehow; I was actually trying to be particularly nice about it.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it took you that long to go through my pets, and I should have read the rules more carefully. Thank you for taking the time to give Leata a theme, and I will try to do reviews for some of them, as soon as I have the time. It might be a little while though -- I have midterms right now, and my baby niece is coming to visit this weekend, so I doubt I'll have much time for WoW for the next little while.

Thanks for wishing me luck in university. :hug: That really does mean a lot to me. I'm going to head over to my class early and see if I can talk to my prof about this essay, and hopefully get it sorted out without it costing me too many late marks.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

No worries, and I hope it all gets sorted out :) I am not in university anymore myself (been a few years :lol:) but I have plenty of friends going through uberstress right now as a result of exams and the like, so I know how it can be. :hug:
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Hm, actually I think I'll have a shot with this for over the weekend. I all but forgot about my poor worgen ever since I began focusing on Kwillix's green team ^^; He'd even just tamed Humar! D:

Name and level: Swiftrunner, lv30
Exotics: Too young
Pet Slots: 10 but might turf a few out.
Restrictions: None
Notes: Current pets are, but not limited to, mostly grey or black to match Swift's fur.

Reviews might be delayed if I decide to continue with Kwill :P

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

For Varethyn (Swiftrunner):

Safari Pets!

ImageImageImageImage

Gold Lion, Brown Vulture, White Old World Croc, and the Orange Hyena!

I figured it was time for the gray Worgen to explore a bit away from his dark and dismal pet roots and try something new! :P
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Haha awesome :D I'll start work on that tomorrow :)

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Unread post by Pawtrack »

Okay, so my theme was Gothic!

First up...
Doze the undead bear! I haven't tamed many pets since cata, and I thought only foxes had a bonus ability! :D And the bird of prey bonus is cool, too! I liked the coloring on him, though I didn't like the rotting flesh as much... It was kind of gross. The special ability is very useful for tanking and I like the model and animations as well! I don't know if I will be keeping him forever, but I think he may stay a while at least.

Next up...
Isivith the undead spider! I've always liked the bone spider looks, but haven't had a chance to tame one until now. My favorite part about her is the eyes, a beautiful bright green! <3 The spikes on the abdomen are a little weird looking, and so are the webs on the legs, but other then that I liked her. The animations look good, and I actually like the screechy sounds she makes. The web ability isn't the best for PvE, but would be very good in BGs I would think, especially WSG. I really like her, even though she looks tiny next to my nelf (the one thing I don't like about her, and that will change as she and I level), and I think I will be keeping her for a long time.

Next up...
Reed the owl! Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of his model or colors, but I still rather liked him (at least his flight isn't glitched). His special ability is kind of useful, I suppose, though he refused to do any tricks, silly owls don't want to have fun! Not much to say about him, though he seems kind of old and wise more than Gothic. Don't know if I will be keeping him all the time, but for now he will probably stay.

Next up...
Rose the bat! I've always considered taming a bat, but not really thinking I'd like them that much. There are so many problems with their old models. The hips, the holes in the wings, the too-big jaw, the pixely claws, but despite all that, I really liked her! I love the walk and run animations, and the idle animations are nice as well, just a sort of little flutter every so often. I'm pretty sure the bat uses the same animations as carrion birds and birds of prey. The special is nice, though with such a long cooldown and short duration, if I was any good at micro-managing pet spells I would leave it off auto-cast. Unfortunately I'm not, so... yeah. But anyway, I'm very happy with this pet, and though I might go out and tame a white one (if only there was an actual white version), I will still be keeping Rose for a very long time! :D

And last but not least...
Skreech the crow! (I meant to spell it that way, Firefox. -_-) Named after his very screechy sound effects:

"Oh, you're hungry, eh? Well here, have some fish-" "
SKREEEECCCHHHH!!!! "
"OH GOD MY EARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!"

*Ahem* >.>

Well, the glitched flight on this guy is a big downer for me, though I love his little bonus ability. I really hope they make the crow model into a pet (you know those crow/raven critters in Gilneas? Sooo pretttyyy....), but for now this is the closest. There's not much to say about his animations or abilities, as he shares animations and abilities with the owl (and bat if I'm not mistaken). The model isn't my favorite, honestly, though it isn't all that bad. The run to get there isn't nearly as hard for alliance as it is for horde, but it's still a bit of a feat at a low level, and you can expect a few whispers asking how/where you got the pet. I may or may not keep him... the glitched flight gives me a sad, but I love the idea of a 'crow' for my hunter, and his little bonus ability is awesome! Anyone know if there is a version of his model without the glitched flight? Really hoping blizzard fixes the flight animation problems on all of the pets.

Not quite the right theme for my green-haired night elf, but a fun mix-up none the less! :D

I'll give it another go! :D
Name & Level: Velyana, 27, but I'll take anything up to 30 or so (gives me a reason to level. Notice how I'm still 27? :lol:)
Exotics: Too low
Pet Slots: 19
Restrictions: Not too many dungeon pets... a few are okay, though.
Attachments
Chalenge 1 Doze.jpg
Chalenge 1 Doze.jpg (45.18 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
Chalenge 1 Isivith.jpg
Chalenge 1 Isivith.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
Chalenge 1 Reed.jpg
Chalenge 1 Reed.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
Chalenge 1 Rose.jpg
Chalenge 1 Rose.jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
Chalenge 1 Skreech.jpg
Chalenge 1 Skreech.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 3830 times

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Thanks, Acherontia! I'm hoping to change the writing styles around a bit whenever I tame a new animal, to keep things fresh. For the abilities post, I'll try to keep it to business, but I like giving the animals some personality with crazy tame-stories!

And without further ado...

The Abilities:

Having now finished the Goblin starter area with Brad at my side, I have an idea of his personality and his traits. Neither of us are 20 yet, but I have enough raptors on others to be able to comment on his special skill without trying it out myself right away.

I'm sure we've all had a raptor at some stage or another. It can't be coincidence that the game has so many different colours and even two separate models for the same animal. Clearly it's got to be a favourite, though it's never been one of mine. Maybe it's our childhood dreams? I'll bet most of us had a thing for dinosaurs at some point. Sure, people like me loved the Allosaurus and the Triceratops. Others had a thing for the Brontosaurus. But yet more were fans of T-Rex and those intelligent, fast and deadly Raptors. The existence of Devilsaurs and Raptors in the game seems to prove my point.

They are Ferocity pets, so a good pet to have when you want to dish out the pain in decent doses. Their special family skill is an armour reduction, which is a debuff I want all my hunters, of all specs, to have at their disposal. Serpents share the skill, but as Cunning, don't tend to crank up the DPS as much as raptors, though one could argue that they are more hardy in battle. Experience has proven otherwise for me.

Even at this low level, without a single special attack or talent point in his tree, Brad was able to tackle three to four enemies at a time. Sure, they'd take him to low health, but he has yet to die in Googie's hands (which is more than I can say for Scott, her crab, who is meant to be Tenacity!), though that is certainly not from lack of trying. Bear in mind that at this stage, Googie does not have Mend Pet, and so, Brad's ability to dish out and take damage is impressive.

His abilities as a tank seem to be varied. There are moments when he will hold aggro like a true Tenacity champion, and then the very next moment, he seems to have absolutely no power over his enemies. I took this to mean that Brad is a fickle creature, who likes to tease his mistress with the threat of imminent doom.

Another thing I have found in raptors, and it holds true in Brad also, is that they seem to be very quick on the uptake. Googie is a bit of an airhead, and tends to enjoy running headfirst into groups of enemies. Before the mistress has realised what is happening, Brad has already run like lightning and picked up the mob. I like that about him.

Other than that though, Brad is a bit of a goof. He'll always take the long way down when jumping off ledges, mountains and piers. He'll run happily to his mistress, with half a dozen axe-wielding enemies in tow. He doesn't understand what a big, heavy chap he is, and will attempt to squeeze into Googie's lap, even at the hairdresser's!

Brad is ugly, silly, a tad dumb and really a bit of a pain in the bum.

Dicussing tactics:

Brad can get a bit protective at times...

I prefer his colour here:

Brad hurrying to save his mistress. AGAIN.

But...

He's here to stay.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Mmk, I'm here to report in on my undead pet theme. :D

I had one of these pets in my stables already, the diseased wolf, and so I'll honor him by doing his report first. ^_^

Meet Rotface. :)

Rotface is another of Venjin's buddies that she's had through WotLK. As we all know, wolf's were THE pet to bring for PvE content in Wrath and I figured if I HAD to have a wolf, I would try to get one that wasn't as commonly seen on my server. The coyote style wolves have typically been my favorites and I have some sort of weird fascination for the diseased pets so I went out to Western Plaguelands to tame me one of these guys.

Even made a story for him here. >_>

To anyone with a weak stomach, the diseased pets can be a little gross to look at.
Their flesh is stripped away in many places, their ribs (and to some extent, organs) are showing...they basically look like they should be dead. The claws are a little low res as well but it doesn't bother me.
They also have some weird breaks in their fur going on that looks a little cheesy, but I still love my Rotface anyway! :D

The animations of the coyote style wolves is one of the things that's always drawn me to them. I love that they sit and scratch themselves, snuffle the ground, and howl. Very cute. They have pretty basic fight animations, nothing fancy. They're pretty quiet little guys too. Every now and then, their howl animation makes a howl noise too and their combat noises aren't overbearing.

The new wolf buff is a great all around buff as well. Crit benefits everyone so if you have all buffs covered that you need in a group, I'd recommend keeping one of these guys around.

Next is Fester the bear (tried to name him UncleFester but it was reserved. :cry:).

The diseased models of bear are actually about the only bear models I can tolerate because the hair-lip issue they have isn't as noticeable. I have a black one named Festergut (I have a green snake named Putricide as well, but I digress).

Going to tame one of these grey guys actually kind of made me sick, and it's not even the diseased parts that bother me. It was that nasty, disgusting egg-sack they carry on their backs. *shudders*
I actually spent the whole tame making this face in real life: >:[

Anyway, thankfully that creepy mess doesn't stay after the tame (even with the trick tame it goes away). Bears are one of those pets that I have a love hate relationship with. They're kind of cute, and their debuff is good, but gosh do their models, in my opinion, have so many issues. As I mentioned before, they have this goofy lip effect that splits up the middle of their face to their nose and is pulled back in a funny way to make the bears "snarl." I also can't get over how their shoulders slope too low making their butts look huge.
As you can see in the above screenshot, they also seem to have a problem with their wrists; they don't bend right or something. Really weird. O_o

Also, when using rest, their front left leg hangs in a really awkward position.

As for the skin itself, it looks a lot bloodier than my black bear, but maybe that's because I've never studied Festergut's skin the way I've been studying Fester Jr's skin.
It's not a bad skin design, but I think I still like my black diseased bear better. :)

As for animations, another love/hate by me. I dislike the way they run. It looks bumbly, which makes me think of Whinnie the Pooh, and I dislike Winnie the Pooh. XD
I do like their combat animations, however, although that's probably because they share them with bear druids.

Of course, being in BM spec, this guy tanked like a pro. Demo roar is a pretty nifty ability, especially against any melee, and it also gives them some AoE threat, much like warriors and bear druids. Speaking of which, if you have a warrior tank or druid tank, you won't need this debuff as I'm pretty sure they'll be using it (unless they're going against casters). I know for sure bear druids use it, not sure about warriors. If you don't mind the loss of CC, you could take this guy into PvP as well, just be careful of fellow teammate's CC as I'm not sure whether Demo Roar would break it.

Next is Franknfurter, the undead swine! :D

Boars. *sigh* I want to tame one and love one sooooo bad...but I just can't get over how useless their debuff feels. Anyway, on to looks. In a different thread someone argued against the skeletal raptors becoming tamable because of their soulless eyes, while I think that's an interesting point, and I respect their opinion, I'd like to counter it with the fact that two of the pets I've tamed today have blank, soulless eyes, Franknfurter included. :)

I actually think it gives these guys a sort of charm. I never thought I would like this skin, but I'm actually pretty impressed with him. The base skin color is really nice, a very pretty shade of gray. Their face is pretty much exposed skeleton and their ribs show as well. I think the worst things about these guys is their low res, sort of two-d looking mane. The hair on the tip of their tail and down by their hooves looks this way as well.

With that said, pigs have the most ADORABLE animations. :hug: I squee on the inside when I see them do their little butt wiggle. They're always so happy and energetic; I love it! They look cute when they fight too, lunging at things with their tusks.

Which now brings me back to my earlier statement of disliking their debuff. My main huntress would totally sport a wee little piggy if I didn't feel that 30% increase to bleed damage didn't feel so useless. I almost never run with rogues, and I believe feral druids and arms warriors supply their own bleed increase (dunno if they stack, and dunno if rogues provide their own bleed increase debuff). These guys would bring a teeny tiny benefit to a MM hunter, but if you really need to provide this debuff, a hyena's a way better way to go about it as they're ferocity (if you're into min-maxing). I could see *maybe* bringing these guys to PvP if you're running with a bleed heavy group and want a sturdy pet, otherwise, they're really just pets to have for looks, in my opinion.

And lastly, Tony the undead hawk.

First, I'll explain Tony's name a bit. When I first showed my boyfriend this pet, he said "that looks like the symbol Tony Hawk uses." I forgot about it and asked him what I should name this guy, and he reminded me of our discussion. And thus is how Tony earned his name. =P
Secondly, these guys (as of right now) are only obtainable through a quest in WPL (I still have the quest should anyone want one of these guys before 4.0.6). There's one pre-quest to it to kill 20 diseased animals; nothing real hard.

On to looks. I was surprised to find myself pretty impressed with this guy looks wise. The model is actually really well done and looks to be in decent quality.
His vertebrae sticking out of his back made me go "O_o" at first, but doesn't creep me out enough that I wouldn't tame this guy. Like I said, it's a pretty solid looking model with some really nice touches on it. His face and feet have no skin on them. What feathers he does have are a neat greyish-brown color and he has bandages wrapped around his body (to hold it together I guess).

These guy have animations pretty standard to the bird families. They flap in place (next to your shoulder thankfully and not by your feet), they fight with their beaks and claws. The noises they make are pretty cool, very fitting to an undead bird I think. Also, they do perform trick! ^_^

[/center]
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

((continued due to length, sorry))

Their ability, snatch, can actually come in very handy in both PvE and PvP. Disarming a hard hitting mob in PvE will make both a healer's life easier in a dungeon, and make your life easier soloing (less healing on the pet). The bright side is that with Grace of the Mantis, cunning pets can even function as pseudo tanks (and perform quite well at it actually). Disarming unsuspecting melee in PvP is also fun as well, and PvP is probably where these guys shine the best.

Overall, I liked this challenge a lot. It gave me a new appreciation for boars and this bird of prey model. While I won't be keeping Tony on this character, I do plan to retame him on a later one. Venjin has Aotona and since I dislike having duplicate pet types, she doesn't need Tony. Fester Jr will also be returning to the wilds as I couldn't give up Venjin's soloing buddy. Rotface will be staying of course as well. ;) I'm not sure what to do with Franknfurter though. I really love this skin and boars are just so charming...I think he'll stay for now, but if I ever need future slots, he may have to go. =x

Another if you don't mind.

Name and Level: Venjin, 80
Exotics: Yes
Pet Slots: 8
No Restrictions

[/center]
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Awesome reviews, guys :D I am LOVING the stories and screenshots, and actually found myself referring to a couple of these today when considering certain pets!

As far as the undead hawk--I actually also have my own that I sort of impulse-tamed when doing the quest for Loremaster. I figured, well hell, I have a free spot and I'm here, and I may not be able to do this again... I considered a few names, Vagabond among them, but as it turns out that's reserved for some reason O.o So I went with Derelict. One thing to point out, I'm pretty sure he uses a softer version of the Anzu sounds. He sounds very mild-manned somehow, and I have grown oddly attached to him :) I'd never noticed that he didn't have foot-skin, though! :O Oh, but another thing I DID notice is that he flies properly (rather than idle-flight) AND does Trick :D

Right, on to the pet theme rolls :)

For Pawtrack (Velyana):

Orange Pets of Orangey Goodness!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Orange Dragonhawk, Orange Boar, Orange Tiger, Orange Raptor, and the Orange Tarantula!

For TygerDarkstorm (Venjin):

Creatures of the Northern Reaches!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Snowy Bear, Snowy Owl, Snow Leopard, Arctic Fox, and White Worg.

If you feel like looking for Duskstalker rather than the plain snow leopard go for it; it's the one I had in mind but I don't like assigning rares :lol: Also, apologies for having some repeat families in this one. If it's too boring having them over again, shout & I'll reroll; I didn't really realize it until after I was done >.<
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I have no problems with repeat pets, and I'll think about Duskstalker. Venjin doesn't have Azeroth flying yet. :lol:
Only issue I have is that she's too low to tame all 5 pets. I'll get em all, I'll just have to make a visit to the stable master to swap pets for screens and discussion. :D

I'll make it work. :)

And the undead hawks are awesome. I'm definitely going to tame one on a different hunter. ^_^

[/center]
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

OH my :O I didn't realize that--I can't imagine navigating to tame all these without it O.o
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Haha, yeah. It's certainly been interesting, especially since some of the best screenshots are taken in places you can only fly to. XD
About 100G more and I can buy it for her. :P

[/center]
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

For the first part of my safari I chose the lion. At first I was tempted to find The Rake in Mulgore, but having recently tamed Humar the Pridelord (now named Ash), I was immediately drawn to his tree. It felt right that I should have a part of the great black lion's pride with him, so I grabbed one.
I was also pleased to see Humar's heritage had been passed on.
I admit I was pretty drawn to the lion. He's a beautiful gold-brown colour with white highlights and lovely, deep brown eyes. As with all non-Sambas lions his mane is rather boxy and spiky, and they have interestingly thick whiskers.
I had already decided to name the upcoming croc Haku so I decided to follow a small theme here and name the lion Boh. Thanks to PetEmote he's incredibly dopy and soft, preferring to follow close to his master and sleeping when taking a break. A lot like my old real-life cat Simba really.
In combat he's like any other cat, attacking tooth and claw and intimidating the foe with growls and roars. His rival: a kolkar packrunner, and my next traget; his pet orange hyena.

Its been mentioned in other threads about how the hyena model is rather off. The muzzle is boxy, the neck and mane stretched and the chest crumpled. Colour-wise she has a pretty ruddy-red-brown hide and dirty-brown legs. I don't know what to make of the pure black eyes however.
The face is actually rather cute, but the box-muzzle and 2D teeth make her look like she ran into a wall a few too many times from the front.
She spends most of her time sniffing the ground and scatching herself... and she loves to scratch a lot more than any wolf I've owned. I noticed this while attempting to get good screens of my little hyena, now named Zeniba: On the rare occassion they do the howl animation, for a split second before they resume the idle animation the model is how it was before Blizz changed it.

Here we go, the underground river where the wild things white crocs roam. It was as simple as jumping off the ledge and saying hi! I already had a crocolisk, the white-green swamp croc from silverpine named Offler, so I knew more-or-less what to expect, behaviour-wise. As I said, I already knew I'd call this guy Haku. He is really pretty, completely white with pale yellow bands running down his back to his tail, around the eyes and on the legs, a stark contrast against Swift's grey fur.
I find the face oddly charming and, as others have said, like a chinese dragon's, which helped me decide the name. His teeth are 3D too, which adds to the charm. His eyes are a little creepy to me though, red as opposed to a typical albino's pink, but it fits and overall I love him.

Last target, the brown buzzard. Since Swift is just that little bit too low for Desolace, its a short trek over to Westfall. Not far north of Sentinal Hill I find my prize... and promptly disconnect. Bah! A quick game of Plants vs Zombies and I was back. But my bird wasn't. Someone had killed it :( I decided to continue north. (Yes I could've waited for a respawn, but where's the fun in that?) I was amazed to find Jet's brother hanging around the farm with a small flock of fleshrippers. I gave my respects and chose one of the birds. Her name is now Yubaba.
My first thought was: "My, what bright eyes you have!" Truly, those aqua eyes are amazing against the red-brown plumage, despite the perma-glare.
The tailfeathers and skin are actually purple-ish. The idle animation is slightly irritating, but at the same time relaxing to watch the wings flapping. The flapping sound is also rather soft and enjoyable to listen to. The movement animations are quite smooth and she doesn't much get in the way at all.

All in all I enjoyed these pets, although I will probably keep Ash over Boh. I'm tempted to keep both Jet and Yubaba, Haku will replace Offler and I'm undecided about Zeniba. And while they all stand out next to my worgen, Boh, Zeniba and Yubaba seem to match his human form :)
Sorry the pics are a bit of a mess... I'll do better next time.
I wouldn't mind another theme to try out. Also, cookie for anyone who noticed the names :)

Name and level: Swiftrunner, lv30
Exotics: Too young
Pet Slots: 10 (managed to turf a few out)
Restrictions: None
Notes: Same as before, with red/brown companions!