Random "Pet Theme" Challenge

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Re: Random "Pet Theme" Challenge

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

All right, demon pets.

As much as I love this theme, I had a hell of a time trying to name these little buggers.

Anyway, I'll start with the demon dog; forgive the use of screenshots from my orc's challenge on both this and the red raptor.

Meet Smiley, the red demon dog! He's an ugly little brute. :lol:

I want to love these guys, but they have some weird issues
Their face from the front is something only a mother could love. They also have a flap of skin from their eyelid that makes them look cross-eyed. Their mane is incredibly low res and their legs look kinda funny to me. Um...yeah, I personally have no real positives for these guys, I think they're pretty ugly.

I'm gonna go shamelessly copy/paste my previous report about demon dogs' abilities. =P
Pin is a handy ability, the only issue I have with it is that it's a channeled melee. If you're not big on micro-managing your pet, this may get you into a bit of trouble if you time it wrong or are a little late to get your pet to either yourself or a teammate in need of assistance. Being tenacity means these guys can tank a bit, but if you leave pin on autocast, you'll quickly pull aggro as they can't generate threat while channeling the ability.

Next is the red raptor who is sadly still just named Raptor. :(

Shamelessly copy/pasting my review from the single pet challenge. >_>
Looks wise, I like this color a lot more than I thought I would. Raptors are a pet I've had trouble bonding with on Vitani, opting for a serpent instead, but this guy is rather pretty, and the outlands raptor model doesn't seem to have any major issues to me.
The bright red is very rich and pretty looking and the maroon over-coloring blends well and looks good with the raptor. Even the yellow underbelly looks good and almost makes him look like flame.

Their idle animation is simple, it's the exact same as the raptor mount idle. They're very noisy when they go into combat, after using a devilsaur it's not too bad, but people who prefer quieter pets would probably prefer a serpent over these guys.
These guys look good in combat, I love the little jump-kick thing they do as one of their attacks.
Yes that's an orc in the action screen, but it's an excellent shot of them doing their combat special.

Mmk, next is Shade the felboar. :)

Looks wise I love the felboars. A closer study reveals some flaws with them though. Their mane, like with most boars, is very low res and 2-D looking, and the hair behind their cheeks tends to sort of disappear in some of their animations. Their spikes surprisingly don't look low res, but the grey on their snout looks a little strange.

I love the piggy animations; they're so cute. ^_^ I squee on the inside when I see them do their little butt wiggle. They're always so happy and energetic; I love it! They look cute when they fight too, lunging at things with their tusks.

My main huntress would totally sport a wee little piggy if I didn't feel that 30% increase to bleed damage didn't feel so useless. I almost never run with rogues, and I believe feral druids and arms warriors supply their own bleed increase (dunno if they stack, and dunno if rogues provide their own bleed increase debuff). These guys would bring a teeny tiny benefit to a MM hunter, but if you really need to provide this debuff, a hyena's a way better way to go about it as they're ferocity (if you're into min-maxing). I could see *maybe* bringing these guys to PvP if you're running with a bleed heavy group and want a sturdy pet, otherwise, they're really just pets to have for looks, in my opinion.

Last is Martian the ravager.

I recently tamed the purple extra spiky ravager on my main huntress and love him, but there's something about this orange skin that really throws me off. I think he's supposed to have an orange, yellow and black base coloring, but on top of all that, his whole body glows red like he's still stuck in Hellfire. The evil, glowing red eyes are about the only thing I like about this guy.

I love the ravager animations. They sort of scuttle across the ground as they run. When they fight they bite and snap at their enemies, and when they do their special, they do a little flip.

Unfortunately none of these pets will be staying with me. I just can't get attached to any of them so I'll let them go roam free.

Another please.
Name and Level: Venjin, 80
Exotics: Yes
Pet Slots: 9
No Restrictions
Notes: I've had the Bug theme, Blue theme, Undead theme, Northern Reaches theme, and Demon theme.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lehana
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Lehana »

My theme was undead pets. This was…hard for me, since I HATE the undead skins. They gross me out. So, putting my nausea aside I headed over to the western plaguelands to tame these uh…beauties.

The first one I tamed was the Undead Hawk, whom I named Mike. It was quite easy, since I had already had him tamed. I wandered back to where I tamed him so he could see his old friends. I think he missed them.
I decided to drag him along when I went to tame my next pet, the diseased bear. Instead of doing the sane thing and taming the ones in the plaguelands, I decided to see if I could get Big Samras. He wasn’t there, but the view was beautiful.
Along the way back we found a different rare. Don’t eat that Mike, it isn’t good for you.
Unlike some birds I’ve had, Mike actually looks nice while flying. I like that. Too many birds have broken flying animations.
Overall, I have to say I like the Undead Hawk and will probably keep him. The skin doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would and in a weird sort of way, he’s kind of pretty. He isn’t overly loud, although I imagine that the flying noise could get annoying after a while. I really can’t say how useful his disarm is. But, I could see it being nice in pvp against warriors, DK, paladins and rogues. In groups, well…it could help the tank take less damage if the enemy can be disarmed.

The next pet I tamed was the Diseased Brown Bear whom I named Riley. I’ll admit, I’m rather biased against bears. After playing a druid for a couple of years, I have grown quite tired of seeing bear butts. So, a diseased one would have to work hard to gain my love. And this one…didn’t really succeed. That face…blarg stop looking at me.
I will admit, the bear ability rest is kinda cute. Whose a good bear! Belly rubs for everyone! …what…is this on my hands. Ewww. He’s oozing. That was not a good idea.
That is one huge dog. Or my bear is really small. Maybe both. It is rather strange that the bear appears to be so small. Doesn't seem very tank like. Lots of pets have that issue though.
Overall, I won’t be keeping this guy. There is nothing wrong with him other than I don’t like the model. Or bears. He wasn’t annoyingly loud or have any other flaws, and I imagine with the debuff he casts he’d be a great solo tanking pet, but I’ll stick to my turtles and crocolisks.

Next up was the diseased wolf. I did not have to go far to find this guy. In fact, he found me shortly after I tamed my bear.
Like the bear he has a kind of ugly face. Although I think he doesn't look as diseased as the boar. His nose is rather pointy though. I think I can count the polygons.
I do like his running animations. I like wolves in general, even if they do tend to be a bit gray. The wolf model is rather cute and playful. I like how he tends to sit and scratch. Wolves have a lot of movement to them, I like that. And here we are looking at the caves we will have to go through to get to the undead boar.
Overall, I like wolves and I love their crit buffs. When I’m running instances I always have a wolf with me. But…this wolf won’t be the one I’ll keep.

Next up the boar, I already have the name picked out. He’s name will be Ari. The reason behind these names? Well, there is none. On this character I only have 4 names for my pets. Mike, Ari, Riley and Alex. Yup. I have 20 pets with 4 names. In my defense I didn’t actually plan on taming more than 4 pets, it just sort of happened. Now let me see, where is that boar.
!!!HE HAS NO EYES!!!
THE EYES!
Right. Yeah. Focus. Focus. ARG THE EYES. THEY GONE!

This boar is not for people who have issues with eyes. I have issues with eyes. You want to freak me out, put in contacts. Anything. I’ll freak out. This boar freaks me out. I’d rather pet the diseased bear. I’d rather hug the bear. Right. Well, if that doesn’t freak you out, then you might like him. He seems a bit…squeally though. Like a pig. Imagine that. I had him attack a couple of enemies, and the sound was rather annoying. If you don’t like loud pets, I don’t think this boar is for you. The debuff he gives would probably be great in a group with a druid, but I don’t group with druids so can’t be sure. Not sure how useful the debuff would be solo and I don’t really raid or pvp so I can’t really say how good debuffs like that would be.

So which of these pets would I keep? The Undead Hawk. Which wouldn't I? THE BOAR! THE EYES! The wolf and bear aren't too bad after the boar but still, if I wanted a wolf or bear, I'd go for a different model.
Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Vasken »

THE EYES. WHY. THE EYES. Found myself laughing a little too much at that! :lol: Never noticed the distinct lack o' eyes until your review, Lehana!

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I brought up the eyes in my undead pet report as well because in another thread, someone tried making a case against skeletal raptors being tamable because of something about their eyes being lifeless. Both the undead boar and hawk have no eyes.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Yeah, I was gonna say, you're keeping the hawk but the hawk HAS NO EYES! :lol:

Excellent reviews by both :D The humor and great screenshots are awesome! I'm not sure I'll have time to do your recent roll tonight Tyger but I'll try, it may be awhile, otherwise it will be tomorrow morning. For me. Europe-ey time. ^^
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Take your time Ache. I work 6-11 tonight anyway so no worries if I don't get it until tomorrow. :D

[/center]
Samarachan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Samarachan »

Heck I'll give this a go, looks fun :)

Name & Level: Samarayan, currently 47 but can get up to 50 asap to fit pets :)
Exotics: Not yet :(
Pet Slots: 3 to 4 (all I can spare atm, sorry...)
Restrictions: None
Additional Notes: Willing to camp, travel, anything :)
Lehana
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Lehana »

Acherontia wrote:Yeah, I was gonna say, you're keeping the hawk but the hawk HAS NO EYES! :lol:

Excellent reviews by both :D The humor and great screenshots are awesome! I'm not sure I'll have time to do your recent roll tonight Tyger but I'll try, it may be awhile, otherwise it will be tomorrow morning. For me. Europe-ey time. ^^
:shock: I didn't even notice the hawk didn't have eyes. It's...not as noticeable. Yes. That's it. It's has nothing to do with me not being very observant. Maybe it didn't bother me as much because the hawk looks pretty much dead everywhere and is smaller while the boar looks like a normal living boar and then you get the face which is like bam! skull no eyes.

You know what, I had fun. I think I'd like to do another. Might take me a couple of days to do it though...so don't feel like you have to hurry.

Name & Level: Damiz 45
Exotics: No
Pet Slots: 5
Restrictions: None
Additional Notes: Willing to go anywhere to get pets. Even hard to reach places. Also willing to level to level 50 to get pets. Already did Undead Pets.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I'll do these tomorrow :D

I spent a looong time tonight getting to and taming Lord Kri, WITHOUT killing his family, solo. I was determined not to kill his wife & kids and then say COME HOME WITH ME, I'M NICE! because that would be a blatant lie. It took many attempts; I finally figured out that if one fires a snake trap between you & them while in camo, then shoots the chosen Boss (to keep aggro over snakes) and hits tame, they will hopefully be tameable while the other Royal Family members chase vipers :lol:

I actually decided in the end that I didn't like him, and abandoned an hour later in Org... /sigh

NONE of the Boss Silithids are making any sounds for me in combat, or any idle noises bar the extremely irritating random "thunk."
Meatha
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Meatha »

This seems like a lot of fun, been reading over this thread the last couple of days and registered on the forums just to try it out :) Anyway:

Name & Level: Meatha, 84
Pet Slots: 5
Restrictions: preferably no rares, being a busy mommy prevents me from doing much camping these days hehe
Additional Notes: no rush, whenever you have the time
Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Damn it, I need to be honest with myself here. I have too many characters to concentrate on leveling Googie, at the moment. So I'll say bye-bye to her and Brad (though Brad lives on in Mozzy's red Outland raptor), and since I have three free spaces on Moz, I'll tame the animals and make the report by the end of the week.

Sorry about this, but the life of an altoholic can be hard, sometimes. :lol:
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

For TygerDarkstorm:

Bioluminescent Pets!

ImageImageImage

Green Nether Ray, Blue Sporebat, Green Firefly!

For Samarachan!

Venomous Pets!

ImageImageImageImage

Brown Wasp, Tan Bone Spider, Green Cobra, and the Pink Scorpion!

For Lehana (Damiz):

Gray Pets!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Gray Bear, Gray Monkey, Gray Spotted Cat, Gray Gorilla, and the Gray Tarantula!

For Meathra:

Creatures of the Northern Woods!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Gray Northrend Worg, Tan Fox, Brown Lynx, Black Boar, and Bald Eagle!

Right, took awhile but there we go--enjoy :D As far as Googie, no worries :) Enjoy folks!
Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Miraga »

Would I be able to get one for my level 80 hunter, Cyleine? She has been ignored since right after WOTLK and only has four pets! :( poor thing... she currently does not have old world flying (she has about 20 silver...) but my friend and maybe MIL may be able to lend me some money so I can actually fly places! :D So it's Cyleine, level 80, BM pets more than welcome! No other restrictions! I neeeeed the pets, lol. She's my first hunter EVER so I figure she needs some love.
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

*rubs eyes*

Managed to finally get some Wow time yesterday evening; had to keep playing absurdly late to get the screenshots for this, but dang it I was determined!
I then proceeded to forget to copy said screenshots onto my flash drive from my desktop computer, and won't be able to rectify that until tomorrow afternoon. For reference, I'm posting this in the morning.

I'm going to be stubborn, and insist on having my screenshots when I do my report for you all! I had the Demons theme, and unlike Tyger's version, it included the vampire bat model, which I made (what I thought was) an interesting and unsettling discovery about. Its underbelly is bathed in dark red blood; I'm pretty sure that I'll have to abandon that particular bat because shit like that makes me just want to retch :(

Anyways, it will only be a day or two until I get the report posted!

*yawns*

*thinks happy thoughts to avoid having to retch*
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Oh man lol. No worries, better with screenshots, and there's no rush!!

For Miraga (Cyleine):

Reptiles!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Brown Devilsaur, Green Raptor, Purple Cobra, Orange Wind Serpent, Red Turtle, Green Crocolisk, and Red Warp Stalker.

Now, this might be too many, in which case take your pick of which you'd like to tame. But, I figured since you're saying your hunter is in desperate need of more pets, I'd give you the option to get more :P Have fun!

P.S. Not actually sure that Warp Stalkers are reptiles, just roll with it! :lol:
Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Miraga »

Acherontia wrote:Oh man lol. No worries, better with screenshots, and there's no rush!!

For Miraga (Cyleine):

Reptiles!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Brown Devilsaur, Green Raptor, Purple Cobra, Orange Wind Serpent, Red Turtle, Green Crocolisk, and Red Warp Stalker.

Now, this might be too many, in which case take your pick of which you'd like to tame. But, I figured since you're saying your hunter is in desperate need of more pets, I'd give you the option to get more :P Have fun!

P.S. Not actually sure that Warp Stalkers are reptiles, just roll with it! :lol:
I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW EXCITED I AM TO DO THIS! :D *cackles* I will definitely gather as many as I can... A REPTILIAN ARMY! :twisted: And one from each Skill family thing too! :shock:

EDIT: And I've always viewed warpies as reptiles! A little more evil-looking than most, but still a reptile! :lol:
Last edited by Miraga on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samarachan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Samarachan »

Hey just a question :) Do we have to go strictly for the ones listed there? Because I already have a scorpio, cobra and spider.

(Doesn't mean I wont do it if they don't count!)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

The purpose of the theme and the single pet challenge is to tame the pet you were assigned, even if you already have the family.

If you look at some of the challenges, I've tamed two or three different bears and wolves already. Each skin has its own personality and story. And if you read my reports, I do a lot of copy/pasting of pet skills/animations/abilities.

[/center]
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Acherontia wrote:For Kalliope:

Gothic Pets!

ImageImageImageImage

Black Owl, Black Worg, Brown Bone Spider, Black Scorpid.

For a switch, I was tempted to assign you the Blackrock Battle Worg from Elwynn, and/or the Fjord Hawk from Howling Fjord, but that reaaaally doesn't seem fair for a Horde lvl 30 :lol:
I wrote and explored and took many screenshots....and ultimately, I ended up with a post that was likely to be too massive to post here. So I have my review up over on my blog: http://kallipets.blogspot.com/2011/02/r ... -pets.html. Hope that's okay! :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lylianne
Realm: Defias Brotherhood (EU)

Unread post by Lylianne »

I went ahead and signed up for these forums just because these challenges looked like fun :P

Name and Level: Lylianne, Level 75 Blood Elf Huntress
Pet Slots: 10
No restrictions really, but if possible I'd like you to keep away from the infected/diseased sort of pets, they gross me out a little >: