Rares should be different than Commons?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Make Rares Different than Commons?

A.Make rares have a unique skin for the zone.
3%
B.Make rares have a unique model for the zone.
1%
C. Make rares have the Silver Dragon portrait remain after tame.
12%
D. Make rares 10% larger than their common counterparts.
4%
E. A and C.
4%
F. A, C, and D.
12%
G. C and D.
3%
H. All of the Above.
12%
I. None of the Above. We like things the way they are.
38%
J. Other (please specify in your post)
10%

Total votes: 68

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Re: Rares should be different than Commons?

Unread post by Ziarre »

What you know the pet to be is the most important distinction...whether retired, rare, or common in skin.

...Besides, I can imagine some pets being 10% bigger, and it's not pretty (looking at you, chimaera).
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

I voted "I. None of the Above. We like things the way they are." I agree with what has been said about this so far.

Though I guess giving every rare a look that's unique for the zone would be a nice idea. I've always thought it's a bit lame that e.g. Sri'skulk looks like all the other spiders around her, apart from being a bit bigger. But I don't really see that as a big issue.

Lok'tar ogar!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I just tame the skin I like :roll: I mean I don't care for what mob its from I just like the skin. Hence why I mainly run with a red vanilla crab, White tallstrider and black vanilla buzzard.
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

if there was one unique tameable rare for every zone in the game... oh god... too-- too many pets... too many abused models.. graphics..

^^btw AWESOME ITS RICHARD!!! (I read LFG too :D)

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

Xakaal wrote:if there was one unique tameable rare for every zone in the game... oh god... too-- too many pets... too many abused models.. graphics..

^^btw AWESOME ITS RICHARD!!! (I read LFG too :D)
I didn't mean totally unique, just different from the mobs in that zone. So in the case of Sri'skulk, she could have the red skin for example, instead of having the exact same skin as all the spiders around her (black), so that she stands out more in her area. But it wouldn't make a difference once she's tamed. Nothing big, just a little cosmetic difference for the scenery. ;)

And yeah, RICHARD FTW! XD

Lok'tar ogar!

Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

Wait, post-tame or pre-tame??

Pre-tame, I leave my vote as-is, comments too. Post-tame, saying "Well MY pet has blabla tag and YOURS doesn't!" does not need to be there. Hence why I was happy to see the elite tag go away on the pets, and why I'm miffed the boss tag stays.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Mindsprocket wrote: I didn't mean totally unique, just different from the mobs in that zone. So in the case of Sri'skulk, she could have the red skin for example, instead of having the exact same skin as all the spiders around her (black), so that she stands out more in her area. But it wouldn't make a difference once she's tamed. Nothing big, just a little cosmetic difference for the scenery. ;)
Ahhhhaaa! Yes id actually like the rares in a zone to pop rather then blend (im especially enthralled by the Skitterweb Matriarch surrounded by the tiny little black widow spiders and shes a freaky dark grey bone spider... my newest addition Paudette is so gonna tame her-- if i can get her past lvl 2 ROFL)

Also, i was doing a few laps around Sholazar and i kept seeing the very striking Shango and i kept opening my bags and staring at my Consortium Combatant's Robe (link will take you to WoWHead) and i was like "Ahh hell why not" and tamed Shango in the outfit. Side by side all i could think of was my most favorite treat, creamsicles.

I got almost all the sparkily rares and spirit beasts and hard to aquire summoned/reachable mobs that ppl parade down uber lane on Xakaal, to hell with them on Bloodwhisker. This pet, this pet is a keeper. Mahamba (croc), Avian Warhawk (owl), Ghostsaber (cat), Shango (cat), and Forest Stalker (fox) are thee ones to keep for sure.

Lets hope Tol'vir Tiger at 85 doesnt send Shango running for Shozalar :X It is pertty, and hunched over, and shiny..

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I'm not into rares, but I voted C. That way, the people that need to be special snowflakes can be, and they can put the skin on common mobs for the rest of us :)
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Ijomi »

If having a trophy pet is all that's important to you....then you'll be ditching one for the next shiny snowflake that simply everyone must have when it comes around anyway, so what's the difference, honestly? "I. None of the Above. We like things the way they are." all the way. I had my Olm The Wise long before he was "cool". ;)

I only tame pets I personally like, and don't give a damn if there are a million others just like it. Because when it comes down to it, the commons are more rarely seen than the poor showcase pets who barely get used except to stand around towns and hurfdurf pose. :|

In my opinion, trophy pets entirely miss the point of being a hunter. Utility>bling. Our class fights enough ugly stereotypes as is without adding "shallow" to the mix.

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Loethlin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Loethlin »

Ijomi wrote:In my opinion, trophy pets entirely miss the point of being a hunter. Utility>bling. Our class fights enough ugly stereotypes as is without adding "shallow" to the mix.
I'm sorry, what?
So... I had the time, I had the patience and I had a bit of luck.
Doesn't mean I'm a Paris Hilton of hunters. Doesn't mean my skill at playing the class is different because I tamed a rare mob.
Camping for rares doesn't make me shallow or a retard. To me it's a personal test of patience, mostly. Labelling people shallow because they enjoy hunting for rares is overreacting.
Also, by looking at your stables, I'm wondering wether a "NO U!" should be applied here.

I picked the "make them larger" option, but only because I enjoy running around with big pets, hence my fondness for boss wasps and chimaeras and devilsaurs, and using BW every cooldown.
Rhapture
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Stormrage

Unread post by Rhapture »

I like things as they are but your choice D got me thinking. I do wish that some of my pets (not rares necessarily) didn't shrink after they were tamed. I remember a PTR or maybe even beta where the pets were bugged and were all their original sizes, some were just waaaaay too big but some looked better in their original size.

Many thanks to Sookie for the awesome signature and avatar

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Well, I'm torn. This could really go two ways.

On one hand, I really do realize that some rares are nigh impossible to get without either a lot of luck or a long haul. Madexx for example. And frankly, I'd be happy if more people could get the pet they love and be spared an often unfun if not outright distressing camp (We've seen some of the horror stories - like the chick who got a tear mailed to her, Sambas held for ransom and so on). Given that the skin is likely popular, many people will have it regardless of how 'rare' it is. Sorry, but I see WAY more spirit beasts than say, black cats. Though I would like a new, common spirit beast because it's not exactly awesome that a whole *family* of beasts is rare spawns. Especially one with such power and utility for BM hunters. I honestly don't mind. My pets are cool looking and special, because I *like* them, regardless on how I tamed them. Do some of them have stories I will cherish forever? Heck yeah. Jadefang is probably my most epic tame and few feelings match the smile on my face when I found my Madexxes waving in the desert! Hello to you too! Sambas was a happy moment too and I met a friendly troll along the way. Terrorpene caught me up on Dr. Who and I talked at a few folks (Also, the BE hunter hiding behind the rock still makes me giggle. I'M INVISIBLE. CAN'T SEE ME. GOTTA ROCK HERE.).

There's nothing that makes a rare not a rare. Not even other mobs with the same skin. It's your tame, experience and story. I'd like people to have options on if they want the rare or just to go grab one. Nothing will change the stories behind my pets or the people I met along the way, even if someone has the same pet. And given how a lot of rares are gorgeous/unique/flashy, there will be *lots* of them over time. The only one I've not seen much of is Madexx. Ask yourself, how many Loques and Skolls did you see in Dalaran back in the day? Yes, a lot.

On the OTHER, it feels a bit disheartening to have spent so much time camping (I think I blew the better part of winter break camping Madexx. >_>) and then poof! Easy to get mobs of the same skin! Owch. Granted, that is a bit selfish. It also gives people a sense of accomplishment in some ways, even if luck is a huge component (Time invested is often another).
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Ijomi »

Loethlin wrote:
Ijomi wrote:In my opinion, trophy pets entirely miss the point of being a hunter. Utility>bling. Our class fights enough ugly stereotypes as is without adding "shallow" to the mix.
I'm sorry, what?
Doesn't mean I'm a Paris Hilton of hunters. Doesn't mean my skill at playing the class is different because I tamed a rare mob.
Camping for rares doesn't make me shallow or a retard. To me it's a personal test of patience, mostly. Labelling people shallow because they enjoy hunting for rares is overreacting.
Also, by looking at your stables, I'm wondering wether a "NO U!" should be applied here.

I picked the "make them larger" option, but only because I enjoy running around with big pets, hence my fondness for boss wasps and chimaeras and devilsaurs, and using BW every cooldown.
Hence the "trophy" pets mentioned, instead of "rare" pets. ;) I've got the unlucky habit of liking a lot of colors or looks that happen to be on a rare creature, that's no secret, I've said as much in older threads. I can appreciate patience involved, as you can see, I've had to do quite a lot of camping myself. If you look closer at my stable, you'll also notice that with the exception of Azgal, ALL of my pets are level 85 and specced, and pretty much every conceivable pet talent is represented. Doubles because I love birds and certain Spirit Beasts and had the stable room.

But that's the difference between my stable and a trophy stable. Because I love those pets, not the attention they might receive. I would not release them, even if there were a million identical common mobs with that skin. Not even poor level 80 Azgal. I've made my opinion on that pretty clear in other threads. A personal test of patience is just that, I don't need anyone else to recognize it. Attention for the deed is hardly what I'm camping. I would happily see any one of those rares in my stable as a common mob, save someone who does NOT have time or luck a camping nightmare....because oh man, Glowbear WAS a nightmare. And I've stated as such several times on this forum as well. I love my pets, the looks of my pets, and whether or not they were rare doesn't matter to me. The next new shiny thing is not going to make me get rid of them. Maybe roll an alt, but never get rid of them. :lol:

So for myself, as an example, the argument that the bronze Madexx should be removed from the spawn rotation because there is a "common" sounds like someone is missing the point of having a scorpid....a very handy tanky pet with a main and offhand disarm.

That, and just last night I had to facepalm at a fellow hunter who came into an instance with Terrorpene....with Growl and Thunderstomp both turned on.

As for pet size? I'll have to disagree on that as well. My big pets get dismissed before I go into buildings and such, but here on Moon Guard there are plenty of considerate souls who park their Rhinos and such right on top of the mailbox, NPCs, etc....just like the mammoth-mount trolls. There's really no need to give those types a chance to be even more effectively obnoxious. And think of the poor melee in your groups, please. My big pets are an advantage in PvP, but that's....kind of really not needed in a dungeon. Especially Cata dungeons.

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Novikova wrote:On the OTHER, it feels a bit disheartening to have spent so much time camping (I think I blew the better part of winter break camping Madexx. >_>) and then poof! Easy to get mobs of the same skin! Owch. Granted, that is a bit selfish. It also gives people a sense of accomplishment in some ways, even if luck is a huge component (Time invested is often another).
Couldn't have said it better myself. That PERSONAL sense of accomplishment is why I feel some rares should remain unique. There are plenty that share their skin with a common beast.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Isaba
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alleria~Nesingwary

Unread post by Isaba »

I kinda like the idea of them keeping a silver dragon, I mean whats wrong with that? it's not anything major like a size change or a completely unique skin, just a UI change something I'm sure blizz could handle... [probably....maybe....]

*GenderQueer*Gay*Furry*Hunter*
I am who I am, and I am Happy.

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Nobody in Orgrimmar or Stormwind cares about your special snowflake pet that you camped months for, just like nobody cares about your Vial of the Sands/Protodrake/Ashes when you park it in the middle of the road(or on a mailbox, or hover a foot above my head) like a god expecting praise.

I voted 'other'. I'm not quite sure how to explain what I want. I want more unique skins and models...on common mobs. Recolor Loque or Sambas and toss them somewhere in a new zone in abundance, make them different enough that it's not "OMG DEY STOLED MAH LAWKKKKK!!!1!" from every hunter on the damn planet. Take great ideas like Terrorpene and Skoll and stick 'em to pets no one loves anymore - and make them common. Flaming ravagers. Lava serpents. Lightning warp stalkers. Do it.

I don't care about size or elite tags or waving my e-peen in the middle of the city, and in a perfect world I don't think anyone else would either. I'm tired of the camping game, and I'm tired of the 'sparkly' pets taking months at a time to find. If you want to camp, sure, fine, by all means keep adding unique rares into the game, but give the people who don't some fun as well.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Loethlin wrote:
I'm sorry, what?

Take a deep breath, perhaps step away from the computer...you've completely read that all wrong and are getting offended for the wrong reasons.

Nobody here is calling anyone stupid for taming a rare and nobody said the word retarded.

We have been saying that if the only reason you tamed a pet was so you can stand around in Org/SW and never actually use the pet, then perhaps you tamed that rare for the wrong reasons.

For example, I have Loque in my stables, I've tamed him on three different hunters. On my main hunter (the last to catch him), I eventually broke down at 80 and tamed Skoll. Ever since poor Loque has hardly been used and I haven't had the heart to release him (I dislike duplicate pets in my stables). When Cata came out, I had to try really hard to convince myself that I didn't want or need Karoma, despite utterly adoring the ghost wolf skin. I eventually broke down and tamed her. The only reason poor Loque sits in my stables now is because my man would be upset with me if I released him because I have tamed him on 3 different hunters.

@Ziarre: No one here has said to make rares un-unique. Most of us have said things should stay the way they are; there's plenty of unique rares as things stand. And so long as you know it was a rare you tamed and bonded with, then that's the most important thing. :)

Like Nubhorns said, I would love more special skins/models for "common" pets. Not only do I sometimes dislike camping a rare and the anxiety that goes with it, it would be nice to see if maybe more cool skins on common mobs would help simmer down the special snowflake syndrome. :)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Granted, I think I'd be happy with vastly shortened rarespawn timers too. This 6-72 hours business is really redonk, especially when it takes all of 10 seconds to completely miss a spawn. Maybe like 1-3 hours. Or 1-6.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I would like to see them keep the silver dagon, a mark that shows other hunters its not just a random mob, but something that required a bit more work to get. Like the boss tag was on The Beast. There were other easier core hounds with the same model, but people went after the chellange, and as such were rewarded not only with the feeling of accomplishment, but (for a time) A boss tag on their pet letting others know of thier great accomplishment.

Making them slightly bigger to would be nice since I think (personally) that pets get scaled down to much.

I also agree with shorter respawn timers on mobs. There are way to many people in the game to keep the respawn timers so long. Bwetween people killing them for loot, achives, just because or taming, the chances of actually getting the rare you want, are even slimmer.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Vephriel wrote:• b) I decide to tame a certain model of pet, and if that model comes on a rare I may go for that one specifically since it feels like more of an identity tame. Nothing to do with bragging rights over the rare, but I feel like I can bond more when I have a single beast to aim for. It doesn't even have to be a rare pet, I will do the same with named mobs as well (Tyrantus, Count Ungula, etc). They are not rares, but they have their own existence that separates them from a cluster of mobs who would share the same model.
I agree here. I am 100% more inclined to release or give up on a pet if its just a random Frostwolf in AV, compared to either Lupos or Timber (whom I use currently). Timber = awesome sauce, regardless if his skin is unique or not. Froswolf = boring regular mob.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~