Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

If you want to copy/paste it, that's fine, or I can give you a reroll. Up to you. :)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Tårnfalk(Predatoria):
White Turtle

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage - A, Thrall - H

Unread post by Kormai »

It is time for the Epic Expedition! Guest Staring: VelkynKarma aka Silinrul

I was assigned (by myself lol) the Red Lynx for my Worgen hunter:
Kormai wrote:Kormai (Anathei)
Red Lynx
Where to find: Eversong Woods
Skin Comments: love the colours and the lynx model is one of my favorites, little pointy elf ears...goes well with blood elves. Or Draenei!
Animation Comments: normal cat animations, yawn, look side to side.
Pet Special: Str + Agi buff is very nice but I'll have to wait a bit.
Pros: very pretty kitty especially for low levels and cats are pretty awesome pets, leveled Kormai all the way to 80 with a cat way back when (not that long ago...a year).
Cons: kinda hard to get for alliance.

However, it kinda just happened that I started a run to Tirisfal Glades on my level 10 Draenei, Calyndri, to get Bayne and maybe a bat. VelkynKarma volunteered to go along with me (thank you so much once again!) and we picked up flight points along the way. Once we got to Hillsbrad and realised there were no more Alliance FPs we decided to go up to Western Plaguelands and get Chillwind camp and Andorhal instead of going through Silverpine Forest.

Once there our only obsticle was The Bulwark...Velkyn checked and there was no way around it, so I prepared myself for a corpse run...
Wait...what? How?
Wait...what? How?
EpicEx1.jpg (460.49 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
I didn't aggro a single thing whilst running through and we just considered it a fluke. Velkyn flew off to find Bayne while I met up with various funny Hordies from Petopians; Korii, Aro, and 84 waved at me and wished me luck recognizing I was from <OLN> but probably didn't know it was me specifically. Korii and Aro followed me to Bayne and all witnessed the tame (we were on vent ;) ). On my way back to Andorhal we spotted Ressan the Needler and I went back to tame him after dropping off Bayne. Ran through the Bulwark again unscathed and we figured they wouldn't aggro to me. It was still unnerving! We also had a few panicked moments when we realised Andorhal and Chillwind don't have stable masters, so I flew back to Aerie Peak and set my hearth there before flying back to get Ressan.

So then we decided "What the heck? Might as well go even more north into baby Draenei killing area!" So off we go:
Here I come!
Here I come!
EpicEx2.jpg (257.75 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Velkyn being vigilant.
Velkyn being vigilant.
EpicEx3.jpg (424.46 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
It's gonna eat me!
It's gonna eat me!
EpicEx4.jpg (390.88 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Do I really look that tasty!?
Do I really look that tasty!?
EpicEx5.jpg (281.46 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Picked up the FPs along the way...running for my little space goat life. To Velkyn's credit I did not die...not even once! :hug:

Finally we make it to the portal, after discovering that Light's Hope doesn't have a stable master either.
Salvation!
Salvation!
EpicEx6.jpg (320.47 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Got the ZA flight point and after running through the Ghostlands we finally get to Eversong! Oh sweet Eversong Woods...how pretty you are :D And found and tamed my lovely kitty.
Finally! Eeeeeehehehehe :D
Finally! Eeeeeehehehehe :D
EpicEx8.jpg (880.88 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Found one :)
Found one :)
EpicEx9.jpg (472.43 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
I love taming an icecube.
I love taming an icecube.
EpicEx10.jpg (482.27 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Purdy kitty.
Purdy kitty.
EpicEx12.jpg (387.18 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
I can only add 10 attachments so it is continued in the next post...
Last edited by Kormai on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Stormrage | Kormai - 100 Draenei Hunter | Kari - 6 Worgen Hunter
...and so many other alts!
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Continued from above:

All my flight paths when I was done:
All my FPs now lol.
All my FPs now lol.
EpicEx13.jpg (382.87 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
And of course, since I was already here I might as well get a Dragonhawk...
Aaaaaand back again!
Aaaaaand back again!
EpicEx14.jpg (341.03 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Another tame...fourth tonight!
Another tame...fourth tonight!
EpicEx15.jpg (434.32 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
My new Dragonhawk :)
My new Dragonhawk :)
EpicEx16.jpg (320.21 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
And of course my lovely protector!
The awesome VelkynKarma
The awesome VelkynKarma
EpicEx17.jpg (268.96 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Last edited by Kormai on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Cialbi(Shorelfon):
Brown Monkey

::OR::

Red Crab
Dang! Here I was, all ready with a not-so-witty joke about you giving me crabs, only to discover that I had a choice. Is having a laugh at your expense too much to ask for?

Jokes aside, this was a special pet challenge. I have plenty of experience with crabs IRL (the crustaceans, not the STD!) from crab fishing. Crab pincers are quite dull, but so incredibly powerful that when latched onto a finger, they will actually cut the skin. Seen it happen, but have yet to experience it, knock on wood. This also means that their pincer is very hard to pry off something once they are latched on. So, I have plenty of respect for them.

So, onto the challenge! I duly looked up what was available to tame, and saw that I could get a rare named Crusty from Desolace. Problem is, Crusty is over ten levels above Shorelfon. But, Menethil Harbor has crabs, and is in the same zone as Shorelfon.

I came, I dove, I tamed.

Image Image

It wasn't until later that I came up with a name, so this crustacean will be appearing as 'Crab' for most of this report :(

Never seriously tried a crab before, thb. While I was down in the harbor, I tried my best to take screenshots of the crab swimming animation that has been described before.
ImageImageImage

Much to my disappointment, crabs have a diet of Fish, Bread, Fungus and Fruit. For shame, Ghostcrawler, for shame. If I were to stick bread, fungus or fruit into the bait box of a crab pot, I would catch nothing. Crabs live on the sea floor, which doesn't have much in the way of breads, fungi, or fruits. They are carrion feeders, actually.
Anyways, I rant because I had a Fishing skill of 1, and did not want to feed my crab any of that land-dweller food. So, guess it's time to remedy that.
This was partially responsible in my delay in making this report; much of my first day was spent fishing.

Later, I found out that Menethil Keep had Dark Iron dwarves holed up inside. So much for Moira Bronzebeard making peace with her uncle. So, we entered the completely trashed and poorly lit keep, which would be this crustacean's first taste of combat. Since Shorelfon is a SV hunter, much of the fighting consisted of the crab using Charge and then Pin to root the quarry in place while I blew him up with Explosive Shot.
I discovered right away that Pin has a visual spell effect that shows up on the afflicted target. Turns out that the lighting was great for seeing this - and taking screenshots.
First, when Pin is applied to the victim, the following spell animation shows up on the floor, and does one revolution along the ground before fading.
It's hard to see, but there are lines radiating out at right angles from that circle.

As that first spell effect fades, the following spell effect shows up around the afflicted target's feet for the rest of the duration of the debuff.

At one point, I decided to see if I could conclusively determine whether or not Pin prevents the crab from doing anything else while being channeled. Sadly, it's true. You can see that in the first screenshot, Pin has been applied, Claw has just come off its CD and ready to go, and the crab's last melee swing (so-called 'white damage') occurred a little bit before Pin was applied. The second screenshot shows that Claw wasn't used until after Pin's duration was up, the crab had ample time to get in another melee swing during Pin's duration, and the enemy had time enough to make not one but two melee swings while the crab was channeling Pin.
No surprise, honestly.

Regardless, the real use of Pin is that I don't have to kite, and the NPC affected will automatically switch to beating on the crab for the duration of the debuff regardless of how much threat I have. The result is a brutally effective team. Here we are, taking out the brains (well, maybe just a nitwit) behind this operation.

Now, some screenshots of the idle animation before we logged off for the night. The idle is simple and quiet; for that matter, crabs are rather quiet pets all-around. They look from right to left, with their eye stalks swinging in the direction of whichever way they are looking. The other idle animation, which I could not get good screenshots of, involves them rapidly moving their mandibles (mouth parts) in a manner best described as how Muppets move their mouths.
ImageImageImage

So, the next day (several days later IRL), the duo check out of the inn. Shorelfon had thought of a name, and spent the trip out to wage war on the murlocs teaching his crab that name.
Neither could bring themselves to kill the tadpole murlocs, and elected to continue slaughtering the troublesome adults instead.

I had decided upon Ruby after mulling over the crab's color. That first day, I couldn't stop thinking of the crab as looking like a boiled Dungeness crab; their dark and subtle purple hue is turned into a bright, faded red when cooked. But, Dungeness aren't the only crab that we catch in the Puget Sound. A smaller species known as the red crab, red rock crab, or as locals call them, rock crab also wander along the bottom of that estuary and get lured into traps. They get thrown back in, being significantly smaller and having brittle shells that are hard to remove without shattering into fragments (not unlike how cooks don't want egg shells to shatter into fragments when opened). So, I thought of using Redrock, figuring that it wouldn't be any worse than calling a pet Redridge. Then, I thought of gemstones, which are sometimes derogatorily referred to as rocks, and elected upon Ruby. Thought about using Rubybeam, but since I frankly don't know that person very well, I decided against that.

We make a dashing team, don't you think?
That bowyer over there seems to think so ;)

I also had the haunted 3rd Fleet questline to do.
You may know of it as the 'gender test'. Cialbi has done this on several pets, and he has never ever had a male pet.
Shorelfon's Ruby was no different. In a way, a female crab is a lucky crab; game managers have made it illegal to have female crab in one's haul, so as to keep dungeness crab populations more sustainable.

I did this questline with Cialbi back when he was at this level, and it ended with retrieving a cursed, black orb (sound familiar?) and taking it to a certain priest in Menethil Harbor. The old questgiver was still there after the Shattering, the orb was still to be retrieved
...or so we were led to believe. Turns out that old questgiver died a year ago in Warcraft lore, the orb cleansed long ago, but the curse remained and the old questgiver couldn't escape it, so he's stuck in Menethil Harbor, sending dwarves and their allies on what turns out to be a fool's errand. Interesting...
Notice how both Shorelfon and Ruby are deliberately diverting their eyes :?

All in all, this was great fun. Pin actually turned out to be quite powerful when you're a Survival hunter whose pets are incapable of holding aggro unless you do nothing except auto shot. I actually prefer it over a movement-slowing snare, since it allows you to stop moving yourself and build up some focus with a Steady Shot or two, and then expend it on an Explosive Shot once kiting resumes. Sadly for Ruby here, Shorelfon is planning on using a demon dog to fit his demon hunter stable theme. Besides, I either can't or don't want to bond with a crab, virtual or not. They're ornery creatures IRL, and their virtual counterparts bear a bit much resemblance. Maybe the spiky crabs will be different; they look completely different form the local crab species, and instead resemble king crab.

I still have pretty much everything left to do on Nazthandol's pet challenge, so I won't order new rolls just yet.
Last edited by Cialbi on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Cialbi wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:Cialbi(Shorelfon):
Brown Monkey

::OR::

Red Crab
Dang! Here I was, all ready with a not-so-witty joke about you giving me crabs, only to discover that I had a choice. Is having a laugh at your expense too much to ask for?
Laugh it up. :D
I giggled when I read that by the way. I was on my break at work, so I was unable to respond there because trying to use a cell phone to edit things is more trouble than it's worth. :P

[/center]
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

All right, Yzma here to report on Image.

So...this was a bit of an interesting tame. At first I was being stubborn and trying to do it on my own. Since I was on EK I thought it would be easy enough to go to the SW harbor to take their boat to Rut'theran. Turns out I was incredibly wrong. Sredni offered their help and thus, the adventure began.

I dub this report: Sredni and Yzma's Excellent Adventure! :headbang: We begin our journey in Orgrimmar.

The Barrens were...barren.

Astranaar looked nice.

The "tracks" the Mechano Hog leaves on the water look interesting.

We then arrived safely at the dock for Azuremyst Isle. It took me until we got there until I realized that Sredni was not wearing shoes the entire time. XD

And I failed to take screenshots of us trying to get through the level 90 guards and of the tame of Belle, so instead I give this one of her and I back in UC.

So unfortunately my screenshots for this moth were not taken in the best of lighting (the curses of doing these at night), but I assure you the skin of them is very beautiful.

Their fur is a soft, silky silver color and they have pretty little lavender eyes. They have black legs, horn, and mouth part.

The moth model is pretty solid and only has the fur error that many other models share (fur stands out the wrong way and looks a little 2-Dish).

Moths just hover in place by your side. Their wings make flapping noises, but I had to turn my volume up a little ways to hear it. They're also pretty quiet in combat. When they swim, they do a slower version of their run animation.

Moths are hardy little combat fighters. They'll dish out quite the beating for such a cute, fuzzy little creature. :lol: Also, they are one of the few pets that will cast their interrupt special only when the enemy they're fighting is actually casting a spell. Also, their special, Serenity Dust, has the longest school lock out of the pet interrupts and also has one of the longest base cooldowns.

I really love moths, such awesome little creatures. And, as I was hoping, this grey gal looks gothic enough for Yzma's theme so I'll be keeping her. :D

Another go please.
Name: Yzma
Level: 32 but feel free to roll a few levels ahead
Exotics: Not Yet
No Restrictions

[/center]
Sherbe
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor-EU, Korgall-EU. Bloodhoof-EU

Unread post by Sherbe »

I think I'd like to try this, but my main has full stables so I'll be doing this on my EU-Petopians hunter.

Name: Shyraz
Level: 61 and leveling
Exotics: Not yet
No restrictions

Hydra sig by Vephriel, may this hydra soon befriend Sherbe!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I was given the white turtle :)

Here is my reveiw of it.

First off, the only white turtle avalible at my lvl was either at ghostland or azhara. I choose to go to azhara for the tame. Saw a lonly turtle on the beach and desided to take it home with me

Modelwise i like these old fashioned turtles. And rigth there on the beach, the white was soooo Shiny that i almost needed sunglasses to look at it. I named the turtle Yulop. I really like the red eyes contrast to the white, but the coloration of the shell and the body i found pretty dull.

I desided to try and solo deadmines with Yulop. The darker enviroment did not at all help the feeling, that this "color" is pretty dull. And this picture is a " dont see what you cant unsee one for me... Yulop shell... looks like a tincan there has been pressed together. The shell lookeds like an overweigth orc sat on the poor turtles shield.

Overall Yulop had really trouble getting the hang of tanking. Predatoria is twinked in heirlooms, but... ohh dear this was bad... Specially the Sawmill boss, almost killed me!! I must admit, i never tanked anything with my tanking pets on predatoria yet, could just be the lowlvl and lack of prober talents for the pet, cause Tårnfalks turtle proform grand, but this always have agro was really borthering me

Was i suppose to get that mom?

what you complaining about, we lived didt we?

It accually annoyed me so much that i only got to the parrot room. Yulop will NOT be giving a permament spot in my stable. Only two good things came out of DM. I got enough woolcloth to raise my firstaid.. and this little beauty is comming home with me

Again if you please :)

Name : Predatoria

Lvl: 35

Restrictions: No über rare mobs to tame

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Kormai wrote:VelkynKarma volunteered to go along with me (thank you so much once again!) and we picked up flight points along the way.
No prob....it was quite an epically fun time XD
Once there our only obsticle was The Bulwark...Velkyn checked and there was no way around it, so I prepared myself for a corpse run...
I didn't aggro a single thing whilst running through and we just considered it a fluke.
I was totally startled by that myself XD I even walked through at the end as well and I didn't aggro them either...was pretty crazy! But as long as you stay exactly in the center on the path I guess you're fine XD
We also had a few panicked moments when we realised Andorhal and Chillwind don't have stable masters, so I flew back to Aerie Peak and set my hearth there before flying back to get Ressan.
Yeah that was a little annoying....I wonder why there weren't any there? But it's okay, Ressan lived X3
Picked up the FPs along the way...running for my little space goat life. To Velkyn's credit I did not die...not even once! :hug:
Much to my surprise...I figured something would gank you before I could get to you at least once (those bears came across half the freakin' ZONE when they heard you were there!) But living, now that's even better XD

I love the Flight Path screenshot btw...you can practically see the path we took outlined there, lol.
And of course my lovely protector!
Dawwwww....you're too kind X3

T'was quite fun, I'm glad you've got new friends...four of'em! :D

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

I think this sounds kind of fun. Though Im not sure you can fine a pet "class" I havnt had yet but here goes. I'll do my lvl 85 to make it more fun for you cause then the skys the limit on what it is cause I can get to it :)

Name: Laughingwolf (Tauran)
Level: 85
Exotics: I have and can tame
Restrictions: Dont have any (unless it's in a raid, I'll pass even though my guild would help me I wont put them threw something I might not keep..but I do have the Draekodon from Blackwing Lair if anyone is intrested in pics of info on him)

Here is a link to my char page if you'd like to brouse my pets first :)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/z ... ngwolf/pet
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

VelkynKarma wrote:T'was quite fun, I'm glad you've got new friends...four of'em! :D
They are purdy! Well Ressan isn't exactly pretty, he's ferocious. It's a good way to get lots of flight paths at low levels!

Oh yay we gots more snow...

Tyger (Yzma)
Dark Grey Monkey

Sherbe (Shyraz)
Brown Sporebat

Tårnfalk (Predatoria)
I even put in the å because you are Danish, hehe. (I'm half Danish...but I don't speak it because I was born in Canada)
Dark Brown Bear

Laughingwolf (Tauran)
White Bat

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

You're having too much fun sending Yzma to all these Alliance lands for her pets. :P
I'll make my report after a friend's baby shower.

[/center]
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

LOL...I think you picked the ONLY pet I have not tamed (besides a monkey and thats NOT going to happen, my guild mate complained so much about his I desided not to) Ok....going to go tame my new pet and test him out on my dailies :) Pics (I hope) and a review to follow probbly tomarrow after I've had a day of dailies to see how it does.
Daranara
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Daranara »

Daranara, checking in!

This time, my job was:

White corehound! Can he overtake my love for Drooly the red corehound? (spoilers: no)

There is but one white corehound, and he lives in baby draenei land. Luckily, I am alliance! So it was no trouble getting to him.

A quick pause to yell into his cave to warn him I was coming. It only seemed sporting. then we were off and into the cave!

He either didn't hear me, couldn't find a back way out of the cave, or he just didn't care, because he was waiting for me when I arrived.

A quick trap and a tame, and voila!

Oh sure, NOW you start crying.

....wait, that's it? You're all soft and cuddly! how is that ferocious?

That's better. Oh wait, no it isn't. Now you're pink. Good try, though.

All jokes aside, this skin is -really- pretty. He's definitely the kinder, gentler corehound option, but even that's relative. Check out those teeth!

After much deliberation, I named him Vanille. This has everything to do with his color and nothing at all to do with the vanilla coke/vodka I was enjoying at the time, nope.

You know where he looks pretty? Winterspring. Or anywhere with heavy lighting, actually. He pretty much glows. I took him places to look at him 'cause he's so pretty!

He loveloveloves to howl. All the time. I once counted him howling six times back-to-back-to-back.

At this point I realized something; he doesn't make noise! Well, that's not quite right. He DOES make noise, but footsteps and combat sounds are expected. He doesn't seem to make the crackling firesounds that Drooly does. Maybe he carries a storm on his back? I should have named him Raikou or something, instead. Ah well.

So that this isn't "Dara takes her pretty pet places and takes pictures of him howling" hour, I took him off to do dailies! Our favorite!

Mmm, delicious spiders. Anyway!

He's a ferocity pet, so he's alright at making with the damage. Lava breath, aside from looking a little out-of-place on this particular model, slows casting speed. Eh, whatever whatever. It has it's place, and that's not with spiders. Ancient Hysteria is why people will be asking for him, and that's always yay. Also why did no one tell me bloodlust made such a ridiculous noise? Ah well.

Dailies done, I took off to Northrend for my newest "can I get a mount THIS time, pretty please?" run.

Can Dara and Vanille take down Skadi?

...No, not so much. He's not really made to hold aggro on a million things, and while I was scrambling to collect the harpoons, the adds were... adding up. Eventually we were overwhelmed, and that was that. (Moonseeker took care of him, though, so it's okee.)

At the end of the day, I took him back to Winterspring and let him go there, free to frolic and/or eat the deer that roam around. He's pretty, but I have and like Drooly better. He's been added to the ever-growing "pets I need on an alt" list.

One last shot for the road.

Man he's pretty.

May I have another?

Daranara
exotics okee
no restrictions~

Daranara - Night Elflet Huntar - Lightbringer US
Gearfeathers on FR

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Tyger, you spent soo much time trying to get to Stormwind Harbor, then on the boat to Teldrassil. Good thing Sredni took pity upon you!
Daranara wrote:At this point I realized something; he doesn't make noise! Well, that's not quite right. He DOES make noise, but footsteps and combat sounds are expected. He doesn't seem to make the crackling firesounds that Drooly does. Maybe he carries a storm on his back? I should have named him Raikou or something, instead. Ah well.
Really? My fuzzy corehound, back when I had him, definitely sounded like a walking, stomping bonfire. But, that was way back during WotLK. I thought that the stomping had since been silenced, but not the burning sound effect.
Daranara wrote:Also why did no one tell me bloodlust made such a ridiculous noise? Ah well.
This! I've been in the minority on this so much that I tend to keep my mouth shut now, so it's good to see that someone else thinks the same way. Must be a symptom of us having mostly played Alliance for too long.
_

Getting to work on my second report. I'm afraid it may be a bit lacking in enthusiasm; it's a wonder that I didn't abandon this.. thing sooner.

_____

Daranara
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Cialbi wrote: Really? My fuzzy corehound, back when I had him, definitely sounded like a walking, stomping bonfire. But, that was way back during WotLK. I thought that the stomping had since been silenced, but not the burning sound effect.
It is entirely possible I accidentally turned it off somehow, since my sound settings are weird. 'Course, it'd be weird if the fire and the footfalls were controlled by different things... Ah well.
Cialbi wrote:This! I've been in the minority on this so much that I tend to keep my mouth shut now, so it's good to see that someone else thinks the same way. Must be a symptom of us having mostly played Alliance for too long.
I blame it on a combination of being a primarily alliance player and hardly ever having my sound on, so when I tripped the bloodlust button I actually laughed at how silly it sounded.

Gearfeathers on FR

Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Daranara wrote:I blame it on a combination of being a primarily alliance player and hardly ever having my sound on, so when I tripped the bloodlust button I actually laughed at how silly it sounded.
Silly, you say!? That is the sound of an extrememly peeved Orc! I guess maybe becuase I'm Horde at heart and have always heard it such (well not always but it's how I first heard it) it just sounds right to me haha. No touchy the Bloodlust sounds!

AAArrraghagharrr! (Or something similar)

Daranara
White Devilsaur

Daranara
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Kormai wrote:
Daranara wrote:I blame it on a combination of being a primarily alliance player and hardly ever having my sound on, so when I tripped the bloodlust button I actually laughed at how silly it sounded.
Silly, you say!? That is the sound of an extrememly peeved Orc! I guess maybe becuase I'm Horde at heart and have always heard it such (well not always but it's how I first heard it) it just sounds right to me haha. No touchy the Bloodlust sounds!

AAArrraghagharrr! (Or something similar)

Daranara
White Devilsaur
Yes, Ma'am! Will not suggest it sounds like an angry muppet, Ma'am!

White devilsaur, hrm... You got it, boss!

Gearfeathers on FR

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Cialbi(Nazthandol):
Diseased Grey Bear
This would be my reaction, to be quite honest: :?
I don't have a problem with the diseased bears, actually - it's just that this particular skin can only be tamed on a bear that has these disgusting egg sacs on their rump. That, and Nazthandol already has the undiseased version of this skin with a pet that is already near and dear to him, so this newcomer had absolutely no chance of staying. Besides, Teigan graciously helped me tame said bear when Nazthandol was level 10 and ran all the way to Dun Morogh only to have his temporary pet glitch out on him.

I'll make this report in an atypical fashion. I'll start out with Nazthandol's true bear, then compare her to this rotting imposter. So without further ado, meet Teigan's ursine incarnation, Tegan:
This is Tegan's reaction to anyone who so much as looks at Jadein funny (I just made that up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were far from the truth).
The red color is from Charge, and the taunt animation is from having just used Growl. The rearing up and spell effect on her paws the ground (the latter would be blue if she weren't under the effect of Charge) are unique to Demoralizing Roar.

Since the other bear had been abandoned at this point, Tegan will be demonstrating her Demoralizing Roar for us.
ImageImage

Demoralizing Roar reduces all physical damage done by 10%, affecting all enemies in a short radius (either 5 or 10 yards; I can say for certain that the 0 yards displayed on the tooltip is incorrect). This serves both as a damage mitigation tool, as well as quickly grabbing AoE aggro and increasing the chance of the pet grabbing aggro on spawning adds during a fight. If your bear is in combat, and there are any creatures within range that are aggro'd to either you or the bear, Demoralizing Roar will be used. I found this out by accident when I came upon Pogeyan last night. No one from Petopians wanted to tame the kitty, so I used /who to find a level 31 hunter that was more than happy to tame the beauty. So, once said hunter was en route to Stranglethorn, I tagged and trapped Pogeyan. So, Pogeyan, Tegan, and myself were all in combat, with Pogeyan incapacitated thanks to Freezing Trap. Tegan, being a well-behaved pet, did not deal any damage to Pogeyan. However, since I had to be in close range to Pogeyan for trapping purposes, Tegan was within Demoralizing Roar range of Pogeyan, and she used it regularly to maintain the debuff on Pogeyan.
All that praise aside, Demoralizing Roar has a drawback; it deals no damage but will aggro anything that can be attacked that is within range (exception to hostile players who are flagged for PvP if you aren't flagged yourself). This includes critters. When a critter is aggro'd, the reaction (if they haven't been killed already) is to run away; they can't attack, after all. Any and all creatures that are affected by Demoralizing Roar will put the bear into combat with each and every one of those creatures, and the bear will try to kill them all, one at a time (unless they're incapacitated). This includes any and all critters that were hit by Demoralizing Roar and ran off. The upshot of this is that your bear is liable to suddenly go chasing after a critter after having finished off an attacker, running the risk of body-pulling more hostiles. So, you either have to be quick on your toes to avoid this (Passive or Follow will work to recall your pet), or take Demoralizing Roar off autocast in areas with lots of critters. Or, clear the area with a Multi-Shot as your pet attacks, to kill off any critters early on. Fortunately, bears are far less likely to have this issue once they can get Thunderstomp, which is an AoE threat generator that does deal damage.

My verdict? Demoralizing Roar is an awesome tool for soloing and pet tanking, but isn't forgiving to hunters who don't pay close enough attention to their pet.
_

So, onto the assigned tame. As said earlier, there is only one NPC with this skin, and they tote around a disgusting bunch of egg sacs on their rump.
So, I happened to be in the area, and the taming was a simple matter.

This screenshot was taken an instant after the tame finished. Upon taming, the bear will not only scale down to pet size, but the egg sacs on their back (each one is actually a separate NPC/object) will despawn. There is no way to prevent this from happening, not that I would want to, actually.
Much better.

The other ability unique to bears is Rest, which makes the pet sleep for 12 seconds and restores Happiness. Turns out that one full use of Rest won't restore a whole lot of Happiness compared to simply feeding the bear.
ImageImage
I really should have taken a screenshot of how much Happiness is gained by feeding the bear. Oh well.
So, this ability and the bear's willingness to eat anything that counts as pet food makes this pet family the easiest to maintain. Feeding (or glyphed Mend Pet) is the more efficient way of maintaining Happiness, but Rest will work if you run out of food or need to delete it to make bag space. Maintaining a bear's Happiness with Rest alone is rather tedious; they will drop to Content frequently since Rest gives such small increments of Happiness that you won't be overshooting the Happy threshold by much. So, you will have one sleepy bear on your hands. :P This of course becomes mostly irrelevant once your bear can talent for Guard Dog.

Now, to look at the skin. This is a diseased model, meaning that all sorts of blisters, sores, tears and even missing chunks of flesh are painted onto a pre-existing bear skin. In this case, the disease symptoms are painted onto the same skin that Tegan is. The only other differences from the 'healthy' version of that skin is that the eyes will be a different color, and there won't be what looks like a cleft palate on the bear (upper lip is split in two, with nothing covering the gums from the tip of the nose to the bottom lip).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
It makes me sad to compare this to how well done the riding bears are. If only they could just remove the armor & saddle (heck, they could even leave it in place), and give some bears that model, it would make a huge difference. The ears, the nose, and the mouth are just terrible on this vanilla bear model.
_

Might as well have another go. I decided that I'm a bit unwilling to do more Monkeys, but have yet to touch on most of the Crocolisk skins, so I'm changing my restrictions.

Shorelfon
Level 26
No Exotics
No Monkeys

Nazthandol
Level 29
No Exotics
No Monkeys

_____