Pokemon!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: Pokemon!

Unread post by Gimlion »

*Sigh* I HATE Larvitar now... I encountered him 5 dif times in FireRed... Each time I use up all my Ultra balls, kill him, and go get supplies for another round (I'm filthy rich from all the training I did for elite 4). The 5th time, after 50 ultra balls, I throw a mega ball on a whim and nearly insane... First try like it was nothing.

Someone save my sanity. please.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Senna-Umbreon
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Nesingwary, Windrunner and the Venture Co.

Unread post by Senna-Umbreon »

Oh yes, I'd also love to know how a Munna using Psybeam manages to get THREE CRITS IN A ROW. Then ANOTHER one after two non-crits. Honestly.. I think my brain exploded during that fight >.<
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Well, then its a good thing you can rename em now isnt it? :P

Alrighty, I'll stick with a Brave (+atk/-spd) nature, its about the best that I've found...Funny enough its got a Strongly defiant nature to...fighting for all the trouble its already given me. Now I'm going to actually play my game now :P

I'll get started on Black for transfering over starters tomorrow.

*Grabs Grim's Sanity before it gets to far away and uses a flamethrower to smelt them back together*

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Senna-Umbreon

Oh isn't that the truth. So, Cobalon will be the only one of his quartet that will be renamed. .. To his Japanese name, ironically enough XD

*Edit* Also.. HERP A DERP I AM THE WORST GHOST TYPE TRAINER EVER. *Had her Dewott try to use TACKLE on a Yamask* *Facepalm* And then of course my Simisear HAD to get a crit and knock out the little Yamask I was gonna catch... Oh well. Back to trying to find one, since I decided that while I'm not gonna use Calypso in the long run.. I think she'll tag along for a bit.
Magnakilro
Realm: Eonar

Unread post by Magnakilro »

You should totally use a Chandelure....just sayin'
Avatar made by the awesome Senna-umbreon
Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

Ohh, i am deffinitly getting one of those, I loved my fire ghost lantern thing :3

Anyone else buy the walkthrough and notice some key information missing from the back of it?

~~~
~~~
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Senna-Umbreon

Magnakilro wrote:You should totally use a Chandelure....just sayin'
That is what I'm gonna do, ya goof XP I'm gonna have one on my long-term team lol
Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

Uhg...reading the origin of articles and I came to Jynx...I remember that happening and wondering to myself why adults where so racisit. Not the creators of Pokemon, but the person who wrote that article. They must have been so consumed by thier own racism that they couldnt see what was infront of them. A Pokemon. Jynx was a pokemon that looked kinda human, but not. And from a kids innocent view thats all it was. And Jynx was a great pokemon, she helped Santa on Christmas.

If her skin had been white would that have been racist? No, nobody would have thought twice about it, but because she wasnt white, therefore she was a racist stereo-type. And because the person wrote an article calling it racist, Jynx's original design was changed. and racism was allowed to flourish...

/rant

~~~
~~~
~~~

Senna-Umbreon

They probably only called it racist because that's what practically EVERYONE ELSE was calling it at first.

But really, at this point I think it's just silly to be getting so upset of something like this. Sure, it's stupid of people to call a Pokemon racist, but it's just so stupid it's pretty much pointless to get angry over it. *Shrugs*
Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

it just brought up all sorts of frustration at stupididy...guess I should have put it on the Grinds my gears thread :P

Ah well, back to catching pokemon and leveing them up. And I suppose I should go kick N's butt.

~~~
~~~
~~~

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

I feel more ashamed at the artistic liberties lost over the change of Jynx than the implied racism, although really it's old news now. I'm still a little pissed at Mr Popo going blue though >.<
It's far from the strangest thing pokemon's been accused of in the west. See "Pokemon Contovercy". Because obviously, this game of collecting mostly friendly looking monsters inspired by animals and mythology was made by TEH NAZI SATANS!
No offence meant to those of religious faith. It's just, sometimes, others of your faith can be a wee bit silly.

Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

Wow, I had a good laugh at some of those controvercy's.
I wish pokemon where real, then I could kick the butts of all the stupid people and make them feint...feint yes...

~~~
~~~
~~~

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Slightly offtopic: Awkward Zombie always has a way of making me laugh. XD

Whirlybird, away!

Also, I feel this to be sweet... and a little silly at the end there. Still. :3

Edit: Okay, I have a little bit of a question for you all. As 5th gen has only just released, perhaps it's time for a little nostalgia. How were you introduced to the world of pokemon, what was your first game and who was your first partner?

My story is actually a little naughty. I was very young at the time, seven or so I believe, when my brother called me over the road to my dad's office. (My dad has his own carpentry business, which has been in his family for a few generations now. The main office is to the side of my grandmother's home, which is also across the street from my parent's house. But I digress). I was soon plonked in front of the computer, which was a very new and alien thing to me at the time. On the screen was a very basic emulator, and soon my brother booted up a strange and unusual game, called Pokemon Red.
Yes, my first exposure to Pokemon was though a very early emulator. I am so naughty. >.>
I remember being entranced by the game. My first pokemon was Charmander (I was a dinosaur nerd and a dragon fanatic. How could I not love the fire lizard?), also on my small team was a pidgey, a caterpie and, surprisingly, a pikachu. (Which, at the time, I pronounced as peh-kah-chuu XD)
The game eventually got deleted by my dad, and pokemon lay forgotten. Until I recieved a copy of it for my birthday, I believe. From there, I was hooked. This time, I played with a bulbasaur and I made it all the way to the Elite four with him. He was level 70 or so before the game mysteriously corrupted on me. I must have restarted that game a hundred times, I loved playing though it so much.

Senna-Umbreon

Moonlost wrote:Slightly offtopic: Awkward Zombie always has a way of making me laugh. XD

Whirlybird, away!

Edit: Okay, I have a little bit of a question for you all. As 5th gen has only just released, perhaps it's time for a little nostalgia. How were you introduced to the world of pokemon, what was your first game and who was your first partner?
Eee Awkward Zombie! <3

As for the question...

Waaaaay back when I lived in Canada, I remember one of my neighbours telling me about Pokemon. That was waaay back during the 2nd generation, and me and my friend would spend hours at the playground that the townhouses we lived in had pretending to be Pokemon. The two we were most were.. Pikachu, of course, and Cyndaquil. About the same time of my life, some other friends were into Pokemon.. I'd go over to their house and we'd jump on their trampoline, me and the youngest girl of their family pretending to be Ledyba. Then, at another friend's birthday party.. The goodiebags had Pokemon cards in them! That's when I first really kinda payed attention to anything other than just pretending to be Pokemon XD

Fast forward a bit.. I've gotten quite into collecting the cards, and so had quite a few of my friends. Oh you should have SEEN the giant "OMG" we all had when we found out one of us had gotten a Mewtwo card XD Then there was the movies.. I remember once going to a friend's birthday party, which, awesomely enough, was at the movie threater where we saw the Lugia movie. My best friend and her brothers were also quite into Pokemon around that time. (And that best friend still is! Not as much anymore, but still.)

Fast forward a biiiiit more.. I've moved to Washington State.. And turns out, one of my neighbours also liked Pokemon. He had Pokemon cards.. AND Pokemon Yellow. I'm pretty darn certain that was the first time I had EVER seen a Pokemon game. After a little while.. The 3rd generation got into full swing. I still didn't have any games.. But I had cards out the wazoo! I remember counting up all my Grass type cards and having about 400 or more of them.... Eventually, I got more into the movies.. Especially Jirachi: Wish Maker. Agh how I loved that movie. AND the little short movie that came with it! *Hums the Gotta Dance theme*

Eventually, the DS came out. I got one. Though I only had Nintendogs for a while XD After moving again.. I ended up seeing adds for a Pokemon game.. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team and Red Rescue Team. "Omg I can BE a Pokemon! *Flashback to pretending to be Pokemon with my friends* NEED!" And so.. I got it. Eventually, come Christmas.. I got Pokemon Emerald, FireRed AND LeafGreen (I gave LeafGreen to a friend though XD), and so that leads me to the other question.. My first Pokemon partner. It was Mudkip. His name was Max XD I adored the little guy.. And currently he's an awesome lvl 80-something Swampert who's chilling out in my Diamond game along with Cody the lvl 98 Charizard from FireRed.

So.. Yeah. That's it. Pretty long, huh? I could go on.. About the start of the 4th gen.. Buuut I won't lol
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

[quote="Moonlost"]Slightly offtopic: Awkward Zombie always has a way of making me laugh. XD

Whirlybird, away!

[quote]

My mom stated I starting liking pokemon around the age of three? it was my favotite show along with digimon(Even though we didn't have sadilight and I just watched the movies my mom bought), I was always interrested in ash and firends around that time, I hardly remeber it but I do remeber my grandma coming to my house with pokemon cards, due to my aspbergers(However its spelt :/) syndrome I didn't under what they were for, I didn't care I just liked them, I went to school with them when I found out the guys in my school also liked pokemon and I wasn't the only one (I was known as the loser from kindergarden to gr.7 actually, I tell you past wasn't really that fun), though there was this kid that kept stealing my cards for weaker ones of course with my foggy mind I had no idea what he was doing and I just wanted the cards but atlas my brother came to the rescuse and gave me them again and I foud out what he was doing and stopped trading, I had the first mewtwo movie and the lugia movie, watching pokemon movies carries on today actually (I also still have the first digimon movie and caught my sister watching it the other day I watched it wit her just for my memories), I soon abadoned pokemon however in hoping I wasn't the bullying target in school any longer, of course I still loved itinside, on my trip to B.C (british columbia) I think I had my tweleveth birthday there? my cousins knowing how I sitll loved pokemon inside bought me pokemon emrald, I only knew of the jhoto andkanto region by the way, I was over joyed my first starter was a torchick, then treecko then mupkip, I finally lasted with the mudkip, because I loved it the most, somewhere along the way came my brother getting the original silver which he gave to me after he had gotten firered
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary(A/H), Wyrmrest Accord(H)

Unread post by Felidire »

Was introduced when the TCG first hit the shelves, and everyone in school was going around "battling" eachother 1 on 1 with a single pokemon card each.. (That doesn't even make any sense) and it was so pointless because they all had like 40-90 hp each, and did like 20-60 damage per attack, so it would go like this.

"Who goes first?"
You can go first
"ok! <tackle> 40 dmg"
<fury swipes> 30 dmg
"<tackle> 40 dmg -- "You're dead, I win your card."

I had a haunter and I kept saying crap like "Nu he's a ghost, your attacks go right through him!" So I racked up a fair few cards that way... LOL we're so stupid when we're kids, it's hilarious. xD

First pokemon game was Yellow Version, so yeah, Pikachu it was. I didn't really get much say in the matter.. Having him follow you around was awesome though, which is why I was looking forawrd to HG/SS so much before it came out, I used leet haxxor skillz to start off with a lv.5 espeon which is how I always pictured it happening if it were real.. It was great, I think it'll be a while before they make another game that's as good as SS was for me.

Hmm.. after yellow I got Crystal, never finished it and I kind of dropped out of the pokemon phase (added to the awesomeness of HG/SS later cause i never finished G/S/C and its my fav region), got back into it when sapphire was released, then got emerald, LG, diamond, and then HG.

|Felidire| - |Harkoa| - dA - |Kibblepaws| - |Tiril|
B/W: Feli // 0347 2599 7931

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Hrm, how'd I get started? My cousins were into it, and kids at school kept talking about the anime, including my best friends. My father and stepmother were a little...uh, crazy....so I remember trying to sneak watching Pokemon at like six thirty in the morning on channel 38 WAY back before it was popular because POKEMON IS COOL.

Later on, at my mother's house, I received a copy of Pokemon: Blue Version to compliment my brother's copy of Red for my birthday. My cousins were enthusiastic. I understood almost nothing about the game so they suggested I start with Bulbasaur, which would be easiest (now I understand it was because of the first two gyms they suggested that, lol).

I was REALLY into it for a while...diehard fan of the show, played the games, etc. Got Gold AND Silver when it came out. Still really enjoyed it. About the time that Ruby/Sapphire came out though I started losing interest. I didn't mind people who played, and I certainly wouldn't make fun of them for it, but it was starting to feel like a bandwagon sort of fandom. The fact that I didn't have a DS also made it impossible to play anything that came after, too.

Fastforward a few years, until about, oh, four or so months ago. My friend got a DS and got a copy of SoulSilver. She asked me to play along with her, so I scrounged up my old copy of Gold and started up a team. Almost immediately we noticed crucial gameplay differences that made HG/SS sound so much better, but I still couldn't get it since I lacked a DS. Then she brought up an offer: there was a special game store near her house that was selling used DS's for WAY less than places like Gamestop, and she offered to buy it for me. I was thrilled. She got me the DS, I got me HeartGold, and was instantly sucked back into Pokemania....there's something about that old nostalgia blended with awesome new gameplay that just had me hooked.

I was still a bit skeptical about Black/White (even now after playing it some I still find about 85% of the designs positively atrocious) but my friend had been playing a ROM and said the gameplay mechanics were to die for, so I gave it a shot. I got Black for myself, and White for her as a return present, and am now playing it through :)

In terms of Pokemon designs....I don't think the team is lacking for INSPIRATION. I think the influences they're using for their Pokemon designs are still great. I love the idea of a European lord-pokemon, so much that Snivy is my starter. The problem for me is execution....they have great ideas, but I don't think the designs connected to the ideas are the best they could be, and generally speaking it seems like they try to over-complicate the Pokemons' appearances to make up for a lack of design skill. Unfortunately, adding random spikes, rings, or metal parts can't always make up for a lack of good base design. THAT'S NOT TO SAY THEY'RE ALL TERRIBLE--my friend and I both agree that the mons in Black/White that look good, look REALLY GOOD. I just think the design team needs to back up for a second and take a look at some of the more simplistic but still successful designs in GenI and II before sticking random spikes and metal bits on the mons now. It's a common misconception that Simple = Bad Design, but this is not always true.

(Of course this could also be my ol' animation and design courses beating me over the head with a stick. Who knows?)

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

For me, Pokemon hit the schools when I was in grade 5. I didnt want any part of it, It was just another fad, my school seemed to get to many of them. So everyone was trading cards and doing the 1:1 battles and I was trying my best to avoid it, until some lil kid in probably gradee 1 saw me sitting in the field and asked me where my cards where, I told him i didnt have any. So, he looked down at his stack of cards in his hand and picked one out and said "Here, you can have this one" I took it and said thank you and then he ran off to play with his friends and I sat there staring at a magnemite card. (I now own over 20,000 cards...)

At recess we use to all sit around my Friend Jason, who was the only kid we knew with a gameboy while he played red version, and was nice enough to let us take turns playing it...Funny enough I became the person who took on the gym chellanges because for some reason, i could always do them on the first try, and everyone else always lost.

I finally saved up enough money for a Gameboy color and got myself blue and yellow, didnt get red till about 5yrs ago. I always started off with Charmander because Charizard was my favourite pokemon. They have, by tradition, been named Charfire. Been a huge fan of pokemon ever since.

~~~
~~~
~~~

Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Terenas (EU)

Unread post by Tyuriwen »

Sorry, not sure where the conversation is at this point, but I needed:

I am literally DYING for my copy of White. Curse me for being a cheapskate and getting free 3-5 day delivery ;_; Everyone enjoying the game so far? (it did come out in the States at the same time as the EU, right?)

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

Conversations at: How did you get into pokemon, and what was your first pokemon?

For me the games going good. Dialogues about what I expected, though the plasma stuffs a bit of the deepend I think...somebody should give them that rainbow straightjacket I saw on the clinic thread :P

~~~
~~~
~~~