Need help finding a rare? Check here first!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bairde
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Exodar

Re: Need help finding a rare? Check here first!

Unread post by Bairde »

Alright, I'm in the process of tracking down King Krush. I've been using the "Fly from one spawn point to the other non-stop" method for 8 days, 12 hours a day now, and I still havn't found him, so if i'm not worth his time, then he isn't worth mine. Gonna camp one spawn and do a fly over every 10 minutes like everyone here has suggested. Other than that, can anyone give any good info on Krush? Seems like he's more elusive than Loque (who i found while camping Krush, along with Aotona [if i ever find Krush then i will post about the entire experience]).
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Bairde wrote:Alright, I'm in the process of tracking down King Krush. I've been using the "Fly from one spawn point to the other non-stop" method for 8 days, 12 hours a day now, and I still havn't found him, so if i'm not worth his time, then he isn't worth mine. Gonna camp one spawn and do a fly over every 10 minutes like everyone here has suggested. Other than that, can anyone give any good info on Krush? Seems like he's more elusive than Loque (who i found while camping Krush, along with Aotona [if i ever find Krush then i will post about the entire experience]).
Sadly his spawn hours are just like Loque. 6 - 16 hours. Also he gets killed on sight a lot, especially by the Nessingwary camp and he's affected by the "2 Rares Only" cap.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bairde
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Bairde »

Exactly how many spawn points does he have? I checked wowhead already, so no need to get onto me about that, but it's unclear wether he has 3 or 4.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Bairde wrote:Exactly how many spawn points does he have? I checked wowhead already, so no need to get onto me about that, but it's unclear wether he has 3 or 4.
He has 3 but he pats quite a bit.

I recommend getting NPCScan, NPCScan_Overlay, and SilverDragon.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bairde
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Bairde »

I have all of them. Right now im borrowing my gf's computer and i have her parked at one spawn, and im parked at another checking the third every ten minutes. I'm gonna do that until 8, which will make 24 hours straight that i've been at it this time O_O

EDIT: GOT. HIM. He spawned to the northwest near the river running down the edge of the crator. Also, full story of everything incoming after i get some sleep V_V
Shizzy

Unread post by Shizzy »

You guys rock y thanks to this site I have gotten all the spirit beasts cept Loq...../cry but this morning got Terrorpene woot thanks so much love this site
Shizzy

Unread post by Shizzy »

Still no luck with Loque'Nahak, if anyone is on Terokkar and has seen her recently please let me know through this forum...........I am grateful for your site thanks again.....

Edit: woot after thirteen days of many many hours I got her last night.........thank you petopia.........also got nuramoc today too very good day
Last edited by Shizzy on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shizzy

Unread post by Shizzy »

Well I can thank this site once again got ghostcrawler and jadefang now just sambas and karoma and I can stop hunting for a few and just kil stuff jade was easy if you have the goblin daily hang onto those bombs and ghost was just a patience game
datgrl
Realm: Alexstrasza

Re: Takk The Leaper's Respawn Timer?

Unread post by datgrl »

Jessibelle wrote:Takk The Leaper's Respawn Timer?

Anyone know? Wowhead isnt much help.

NPCScan just went off and I cant find him anywhere....x.x;
The last time I saw him (about a month ago) he was blinking like the warp stalkers do. I was going to tame him and then I lost him. When I spotted him again, he immediately blinked out of site to a new location about 20 feet away and not in immediate line of sight. Then he was gone.

When I target them with a macro and their nameplate shows up, I mark them with a raid icon. I may be shooting myself in the foot doing this, highlighting the mob for everyone else, too. But it's helped me find things a few times.
Shizzy

Unread post by Shizzy »

Ok just got sambas at 613am server time terokkar now just karoma and madexx more karoma though and my collection will be complete for a minute.....lol gl everyone and thanks for all the valuable info.... :D
Snowwalker
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Suramar

Unread post by Snowwalker »

Anyone got any info on Old Vicejaw, the silverpine bear rare? I've had no luck spotting him. Wowhead gives one spawn point, but there's only 3 pins, too. Does he spawn elsewhere? I asked a gm, and they did confirm he still exists in game. Thanks all.

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Snowwalker wrote:Anyone got any info on Old Vicejaw, the silverpine bear rare? I've had no luck spotting him. Wowhead gives one spawn point, but there's only 3 pins, too. Does he spawn elsewhere? I asked a gm, and they did confirm he still exists in game. Thanks all.
Old Vicejaw no longer exists. :( He's one of the rares that did not get put back in.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Snowwalker
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Suramar

Unread post by Snowwalker »

So this is a for sure case of the GM being wrong then?

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Probably. GMs aren't always right and what they say should be taken with a grain of salt. ;)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Anyone know anything about Emberwing? Wowhead's info is pretty limited.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Viôlet
Realm: Mug'Thol

Unread post by Viôlet »

I am beginning to go on my pet hunt and the first on my list is Gondria. And I was wondering if there are any tips on catching it and if any one else has ever caught this one before. - EDIT Nvm I got caught it :D
Deadlyfrost
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Deadlyfrost »

Hello, my alt is a lvl 34 night elf hunter, roaming thru Northern Stranglethorn I've managed to get Pogeyan, Tsul'kalu and Mahamba. Ive also gotten a Ghost saber from darkshore and Ashtail. I was wondering, searching thru petopia and wowhead, what other rare/rare elites are worth getting at this low of a level that would be nice to keep up to lvl 85? The spirit beasts and a few others are going to be in my aresenal once i hit that plateau, but wondering what would be a good one at this low of a level to get next.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Hey guys. Anyone seen Arcturis on Frostwolf lately? I have no idea when he last spawned.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Deadlyfrost wrote:Hello, my alt is a lvl 34 night elf hunter, roaming thru Northern Stranglethorn I've managed to get Pogeyan, Tsul'kalu and Mahamba. Ive also gotten a Ghost saber from darkshore and Ashtail. I was wondering, searching thru petopia and wowhead, what other rare/rare elites are worth getting at this low of a level that would be nice to keep up to lvl 85? The spirit beasts and a few others are going to be in my aresenal once i hit that plateau, but wondering what would be a good one at this low of a level to get next.
There is the green beetle at 35 or 36 I believe.

LisaaraPokefarm

irenedadler
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by irenedadler »

I'd like to add a note concerning Northrend rares and the change in camping strategy since Cata launch.

Before Cata launch, Northrend was a pretty busy zone, criss-crossed by farmers, questers, and other random/bored people, so the average time that any rare remains undiscovered after spawn was pretty short, so the best way to aggressively camp a rare is to continuously monitor all its spawn points. Patrolling at intervals is very likely to cause you to miss the spawn and for someone else to tame/kill it. Thus, the total time you spend camping a rare is most likely to be shortest if you patrol continuously.

However, nowadays, Northrend is fairly deserted, and I believe that changes the spawning pattern of rares due to the rare spawn cap. Because there are a lot fewer people roaming about, the average time that a rare remains undiscovered is much longer now, which has two consequences. Firstly, you do not need to be at the spawn point ASAP to catch it, and so the payoff of continuous camping versus patrolling at intervals diminishes. Secondly, due to the rare spawn cap, the existing, unfound rares could be holding the your rare spawn back by a significant length of time. Of course, this isn't to say that you won't run into other people who want the same rare you do, and thus creating much much more competition and putting timely presence at more of a premium. However, if you consider that camping continuously without regard of the other rares could cause you to wait several times the usual respawn timer, I think if you weigh by probability, total time spent per rare is likely to be lower if you do quick patrols at intervals, and if you were able to get someone to help you or get on a second account and start killing/rehoming other rares in the meanwhile, it could significantly shorten your wait-time.

In short, my advice to anyone looking for a Northrend rare currently is to just check at random intervals (I usually check every hour or so) instead of going full-out search-and-destroy mode (well not so much destroy obviously but you know what I mean). This is a purely probabilistic approach to minimizing total time spent, and obviously your actual time spent could vary wildly depending on conditions and luck, and of course if you just absolutely had to have the next spawn, the only way to ensure that is still continuous monitoring. I hope this is helpful to people setting out on their search, and best of luck to everyone :)