more fire turtles in 4.2

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: more fire turtles in 4.2

Unread post by Ijomi »

Please tell me this isn't Bronze Madexx Debate 2.0. :s I have Terrorpene, and honestly, I could give two figs if there is a "common" counterpart. Then again, I didn't get him so OTHERS could like him, I got him because I liked him. I frankly think doing it the other way around is the problem here, not Blizzard making a "common" skin.

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

so long as people have the pet that they like, it doesnt really matter to me whether its common or rare.

Common fire turtles or just the one rare. I'll still keep mine because I like the model. And as for him being rare, well, I will always have my memories of what I went through to tame him, and thats what make mine more special (to me) then any other hunter that has a fire turtle.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

*stares at the DA link*

...That DA name is really, really familiar. Were you on GaiaOnline?

*stares some more*
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

Ages ago, yep. And not missing it a bit. :p

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Ijomi wrote:Please tell me this isn't Bronze Madexx Debate 2.0. :s I have Terrorpene, and honestly, I could give two figs if there is a "common" counterpart. Then again, I didn't get him so OTHERS could like him, I got him because I liked him. I frankly think doing it the other way around is the problem here, not Blizzard making a "common" skin.
Heh, it's much older than Madexx, but I'm afraid so. Witty comic, btw.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Hah, just a shock to see a familiar face! /scoots to PM instead of derailing
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

MajorThor wrote:Honestly. They'll be level 87+ and unless they tag em the same way they have Chromaggus tagged for tame, you won't be seeing them tamed.
That's if they're actually in the raid area. The Firelands is a new zone with a raid in it, I believe. Everything outside the raid will most likely be 84-85.

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I found Terrorpene because I tripped over him. I don't even really use him (he doesn't fit my character). Meanwhile the only Madexx I've EVER found has been (you guessed it) bronze.

I don't know, I really don't see a problem. Lots of rares are only 'rare' in that they're the first evidence of that skin available at a lower level. (Anyone remember the Rake? Or Dishu? Or Ripscale? Or Barnabas? Or....)

Anyway. I also have to agree, Terrorpene is NOT rare. I think three fourths of my server must have him. Oh, sure, he's got a silver dragon in the wild, but for as many people that have him, you'd think there was a whole field of fire turkles somewhere already. If you want something no one else has... go tame a plain green old-style windserpent. Or how about a non-hunched cheetah. What about a green Serpent? Didn't we scream about how bad we wanted them back in Wrath when they were only found in Gun'drak and untamable? Now we have them and does anyone want them? Oh no. Pffft.

Hell... I've picked up using Ironjaw. Yeah, he was all over the place back in the BC-day, but now? I've not seen another one in months. And he's my absolute fave worg skin.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Nachtwulf wrote:What about a green Serpent? Didn't we scream about how bad we wanted them back in Wrath when they were only found in Gun'drak and untamable? Now we have them and does anyone want them? Oh no. Pffft.
I loved that skin so much in Wrath (still do). Soon as I found out they were tamable and Cata came out, my troll booked it out to Thousand Needles to get one to complete her little ICC trio. :D

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I admit... I have one alt who's theme is things that are pink (or purple). I immediately went out and got him one of those hot pink and gold serpents as soon as I was able. (The ones that look like the grown-up cobra hatchlings.) Such a -pretty- skin.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Aye, it's beautiful.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I agree that if you love the pet, you love it. Doesn't matter if its Terrorpene or a brown cat you tripped over getting off the elevator from Thunder Bluff. So, I don't care if they make it common. It will still be a gorgeous, detailed, wonderful turtle. Same goes for poor, hated brown Maddexx. I think he and all his many children are cute.
Bairde
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Exodar

Unread post by Bairde »

I'll admit that I get many pets because they are rare-unique skins, but I don't get them if I don't find the love the skin too. I've got couple that aren't unique skins (although they are rare) just because I know what I did to get them and that they are special. Will I be upset if they make the fire turtle skin a common model? I'll admit that yes, I will be a little upset, because unlike many others, my server isn't crawling with them. but either way, I'm not going to get rid of Napalm just because he looks like other turtles out there. I don't ditch Timber because he is a common model, and it won't be any different for my fireturtle. Still, i'm with the op. I don't like it, but i'm not gonna raise hell about it.

Epic luck charm by the amazingly talented Vephriel

My Stable

Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Ooh, interesting!

I love the idea of an azure/blue recolour. I'd be all over that in an instant, rare or not :D

As for common versions of Terrorpene being available - I sort of wouldn't mind. Why? Because my boyfriend, despite adamantly never wanting to play a hunter, not liking hunters, not knowing how I can stand being one, etc etc etc, has quite a few pets whom he likes. And guess whose stable space they fill ;-;' I mean I don't mind Terrorpene, Arcturis and the Molten Core corehounds and Chromaggus, but given my way I probably wouldn't have them all... I put my foot down at Chromy and the corehounds (too noisy) but still... hahaha. If there were common versions, when I got around to levelling him his own hunter I could pop over and tame one of those for him and he would be happy >)

Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

I wouldn't mind a common version of Terrorpene either. Just like other rares; he is not a rare sight as pet and other classes couldn't care less what you have as a pet. They see Sambas in every turn they take in HC's. (I mean.. I do on my main.) But what I do agree on is that we have a neat opportunity here for more lava turtle colours! Arcane lava turtle? Hells yeah man. Or some kind of.. fel fire turtle. Think about a quest mob such as the unique yellow corehound in Blasted Lands!

On a side rail: I dislike the sort of trend Blizz now has that new model + skin monsters will almost always be a rare spawn. I mean.. for example: The commonly found lion skin is starting to look REALLY old and I can't say having one on a worgen hunter does make it look any better in contrast. :| I did camp Sambas for my main hunter because I really like the model and skin and how smooth it looks but I wouldn't hate on a common Sambas. I don't hate on bronze/brown Madexx either; I actually think it was a very good decision to put one common colour in for those who want a new scorpid skin/model but don't want to waste hours of their life just to glimpse one in the wild.

Those people who like to camp rares WILL still camp rares because it matters to themselves if the beast was a named rare or not. Such as I: I camped out Arash-ethis even though there's plenty of white windserpents available. Why? Because I wanted to challenge myself. I could feel good about the pet I camped for myself.

I'm not saying we should remove unique rares entirely though. There is a desire for those to be in game because for some people it's a major appeal in the game. BUT, please stop making upgrading a hunters pet graphics take weeks or months please! :lol:

Whoa, I went really TL;DR with the whole thing. Sorry!
Last edited by Yoruko on Tue May 03, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Aye, I agree that we should not remove unique skinned rares (or unique skinned mobs in general), but the mindset that comes with "OMG ALL RARES SHOULD BE SPESHUL" baffles me. I won't lie and say I don't go hunt down rares just because they're rare, however, I don't hunt them down so that other people around me can know it's rare--I do it because I know it is and because that was the identity I wanted for that pet. Hell, finding a rare is mostly based on luck anyway, and with most of the old world ones you can practically just stumble into them.

Anyway, I also agree with some of the others that this would be a neat chance to see a chance for more fire turtle colors, but even if they don't, I won't be angry if they make Terrorpene's skin a common mob. :)

[/center]
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

A certain amount of annoyance is natural when you feel like you've worked hard to get something Blizzard explicitly marketed to the player community as a rare.

That being said it's also important for everyone to carefully consider how much "hard work" they actually went through to get said rare.

In most cases it's nothing more than reading about the creature here or at wowhead, and then haunting its spawn points until it finally turns up - usually including following recommended taming strategies.

Case in point Skoll and Nuramoc - I got them, but certainly not through any innovation or "struggle" on my part. So, were those models to become non-rare, I don't really think I'd (personally) have any cause to complain.

Then we have things like The Beast and Terrorpene.

TB: easy to find, so no camping issues. However back when I tamed him Tame Beast had a 15 second cast time, and there were no real "guides" or at least none that I found. When I finally got him at lvl 77 it was by the skin of my teeth - I don't care what anyone says, that tame was hard. So when they removed TB's tags I was justifiably annoyed - but I also understood the alternative would have been to allow every Tom Dick and Harry to have a corehound with the same "special" tags the minute the tame case was dropped to 10 seconds, so I let it go.

Terrorpene: 3/4 may have him but at least on my servers (Uther, Shu-Halo, Zangarmarsh, Quel'Thalas, etc) I don't see him out hardly ever; that being said, I'd read countless accounts of people struggling to tame him (even the person who claimed "a caveman could tame TP" turned out to have died on the first attempt lol); not having trouble was the extreme exception back then. So I bet everything on fire resist, collected FR gear from the AH, all green and most of which was level 67-75ish, had my set after a week or so and finally went after TP; ofc I was simply going off the spell description that stated FR was 4x effective vs burning hatred and so in hindsight it seems obvious but at least back then virtually everyone stuck to the "MORE HP" approach... so when I got him at 81 yeah I was kinda proud. But looking back, I think it was more a matter of me just following the carefully posted signs Blizzard put up than anything else. So - I don't think I have much right to gripe about TP becoming non-unique, from a personal standpoint.

Not to say no one has the right to gripe - what took me a week (not even) of logging, checking and camping in my FR set, may have taken a more dedicated camper days at a time of staying logged on... and/or the special hell of fighting off competitors on a PVP server. Those players really suffered to get their rare, unlike me, and I won't take anything away from their claims.

TLDR: Explicitly marking a mob as "special" and "rare" on Blizzard's part, does create a certain reasonable expectation on players' part that it is a collector's item and should remain such... but that by itself is not a huge deal; before anyone gets mad at Blizzard for reversing course and making said pet "mundane", they should first ask themself just what exactly they personally did to "earn" the rare in the first place...
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Worba wrote:TB: easy to find, so no camping issues. However back when I tamed him Tame Beast had a 15 second cast time, and there were no real "guides" or at least none that I found. When I finally got him at lvl 77 it was by the skin of my teeth - I don't care what anyone says, that tame was hard. So when they removed TB's tags I was justifiably annoyed - but I also understood the alternative would have been to allow every Tom Dick and Harry to have a corehound with the same "special" tags the minute the tame case was dropped to 10 seconds, so I let it go.
Hmm, wasn't Tame Beast a a baseline 20 second channel, affected by spell haste? Anyways, that's a nice summary of that incident.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Yeah think you're right - the 15 second thing was probably a broad (and extremely optimistic, given my gear at the time) estimate factoring in haste, now that you mention it.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Worba wrote:Yeah think you're right - the 15 second thing was probably a broad (and extremely optimistic, given my gear at the time) estimate factoring in haste, now that you mention it.
The tame was actually 20 seconds unless you had looooots of haste. But The Beast? I totally agree. He's still my hardest tame, Terrorpene couldn't compare. Terrorpene comes second because of how hard he hits but the Beast? He took me, a priest, and a shaman to pull it off and I was Lvl 80.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine