trying the free trial of Rift

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Re: trying the free trial of Rift

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Oh my god yes on the elites thing! So much yes to that. XD

I've come and watched level 35's run up to a level 20 or so elite and still get their ass handed to them if they're not careful. Some elites are duo-able if you're careful, but man does it feel good to fear elites again. :D

And Rift events? Personally, I love them. I've never played a game that gives you public quests and has the public event system. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It gives a nice break between the grinds of questing and the epicness you feel of coordinating with people through general chat on how to get these public events completed and working together with raid groups running about the zones is just awesome to me.

My level 15 rogue is already rocking a pair of epic pants from her participation in a couple of public events. :D Earned me an epic sourcestone and a couple hundred planarite and got a nice set of pants. :headbang:

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Got myself trying the free trial also.
Things look quite stunning in the game but I've never been the one to fall for eye candy easily and I played on medium setting but it turned on low everytime I logged out. Guess my comp just ain't up to the bar with the graf settings.

I quite like the story it has and that the intro screens for both factions has voice acting. I kind of laugh how the vendors kind of maybe are making hidden wow-references "I buy and sell" or something along these lines.

The talent system thought has me confused! Maybe I just understand if I'm a cleric, I am a druid/shaman/justicar...and I think I am almost like a tank. Maybe I really need to calm down and read all the information about these classes.
...thought being a bard is fun. FEAR MY AMAZING LUTE AND FLUTE.

I could maybe start playing maybe, it's not wow...but to be honest the thing I really want to try would be Aion, which doens't have a free trial.
Last edited by Sonata on Fri May 20, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary(A/H), Wyrmrest Accord(H)

Unread post by Felidire »

Well I was in the middle of questing on my shaman this morning and I got disconnected, tried to log back in but turns out blizz closed my account! (So i'll take a bash at this RIFT trial, while my WoW-future lies at the mercy of Blizzard's vile Game Masters!) I doubt this new game will top out over WoW, but if they want to push me away after 6.5 years then so be it - one less tank and one less willing to pay for their cross-realm LFG BS. </3

I'll post my opinions on the game after it finishes installing *shakes fist at capped internet* I'm really hoping the character & gameplay doesn't feel as disconnected as the other 99% of non-WoW mmorpgs.

|Felidire| - |Harkoa| - dA - |Kibblepaws| - |Tiril|
B/W: Feli // 0347 2599 7931

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I'm not all that sure what you mean by disconnected, but the talent system is REALLY fun, and you can customize your character way much through it. Three classes at once = love.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

Does Rift have pvp? If so what's it like? D:

Also is the world all connected like WoW or is it more heavily phased like Guild Wars?

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

It's got PvP like the battlegrounds in WoW, as far as I can tell. So far I've only done a capture the flag thingie, where the goal seemed to be to keep the flag in your team to get points, and having the flag for longer made you take more damage. Pretty fun.

It's all connected, like WoW.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

So is there world pvp? I mean can you attack another guy on the other faction? o.o

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Well, there's PvP servers, at least. I haven't actually seen any opposite faction players yet, but I'd assume it's like WoW, where you can go fight them.

Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Moore wrote:So is there world pvp? I mean can you attack another guy on the other faction? o.o

There is on a normal server on if your flagged. Attacking an opposing base gets you flagged just like in WoW. Or a flagged person the pvp is fun though I like it. :)

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I've been sort of third party involved on world PvP on Galena, if you will. We were doing a big public event and some flagged Guardians came running through and our raid killed them, netting all of us lowbies the achievement. XD

There's world PvP and Warfronts. I'm pretty sure the warfronts are like BGs, but I haven't done one so I'm not real sure.

[/center]
twilightsky
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Auchindoun, Terenas

Unread post by twilightsky »

Personally for me, i haven't tried it, as soon as i saw the advert and its quote "You're not in Azeroth anymore!" made me think... i smell a rip off. If they hadn't said that and tried to make it seem better than WoW then yes i most likely would have tried it
Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Saturo wrote:I'm not all that sure what you mean by disconnected, but the talent system is REALLY fun, and you can customize your character way much through it. Three classes at once = love.
I can't explain it very well, but the first thing that i'll usually test in a new game is how sharp/responsive the character is to the movement functions, and I check if I can strafe left, right, left, right multiple times while jumping/falling. (I'm really into PvP, so I guess it's only natural that I hate the games with sluggish movement.)

Do they let you multi-class? Yeah if they do, multi-classing is something i've always found fun in games. I always made Rogue/Ranger/Druids on games like IWD, NWN and all those older d&d-styled games. (It's also incredibly easy to screw up, the end result being something completely laughable.)
twilightsky wrote:Personally for me, i haven't tried it, as soon as i saw the advert and its quote "You're not in Azeroth anymore!" made me think... i smell a rip off. If they hadn't said that and tried to make it seem better than WoW then yes i most likely would have tried it
Well they didn't say that so people would go "OMG it must be better than WoW, I have to get it!" They said it because it's a tagline that most of us will remember and associate with that game, it also gets people talking and increases their publicity; seeing as how the first time I ever heard of this game was in the wow /2 trade channel, I think their marketing campaign was fairly successful. It was clever.

Anyway, the RIFT patch screwed up for me @ around about 80% and then started from scratch, and I don't really much like the idea of having to download an 8.78GB patch twice (or more), so they lose major points straight off the bat. Wow's patching system has never screwed me over, not in 6-something years.

Got my WoW account unbanned for the 3rd or 4th time, but i'm still gonna keep trying to get that rift patch downloaded so that I can try it out.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Not real sure what you mean by multi-classing since there's technically only 4 classes in Rift (warrior, cleric, mage, and rogue), and then it branches off into a bunch of different souls. You can only pick one class, but then you can have up to four different specs within that class.

For example, my mage's first spec is chloromancer/necromancer/warlock, and her second spec is elementalist/pyromancer/archon.

IMO, the easiest way to get a feel for how the classes work outside of the game is to use the two sites I linked a few posts ago (I'll relink them here for ease).

http://rift.zam.com/ <---This is just like WoWhead (same company owns em all), and even has a soul builder and most popular builds for each class and spec.

And then the main website: http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/index.php

[/center]
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Felidire wrote:Got my WoW account unbanned for the 3rd or 4th time, but i'm still gonna keep trying to get that rift patch downloaded so that I can try it out.
Do you mean that you get the message that there is "unusual log in pattern" or something, which forces you to reset your passwords?

If that is it, you need to CALL Blizzard over the phone and have them deactivate that function for a while, until the game can record a sequence of login patterns (in other words, your dynamic IP needs to get recorded by the game).

For some strange reason, whenever my IP changes, it often ALSO seems to place me in a different town! Which is either a problem with the IP-search programs or a problem with my ISP. A call to Blizz. should straighten it out.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Sukurachi wrote:Do you mean that you get the message that there is "unusual log in pattern" or something, which forces you to reset your passwords?

If that is it, you need to CALL Blizzard over the phone and have them deactivate that function for a while, until the game can record a sequence of login patterns (in other words, your dynamic IP needs to get recorded by the game).
Nah, it's the: "This World of Warcraft account has been closed and is no longer available for use" message. They were even kind enough to link me an image of the "Penalty Volcano." http://us.blizzard.com/support/image.html?id=265 :D

I've had one 72 hour suspension, months and months ago. Followed by a volley of account closures.. I violate their ToA to pieces though, so I probably deserve what I get.

However, I do get a lot of those "unusual login patterns" from using WoWTunnels, cuts my latency down from 600ms to around about 240. Sometimes one of their servers is down and I need to use a different one, or I'll forget to turn it on before logging on (meaning it'll display my Aussie IP instead of their ones in LA.)

On a sidenote, still haven't been able to get the RIFT patch, would continually crash less than 1 minute into each download attempt, so I had to reinstall the entire game. Anti-Virus had nothing to do with it either, talk about annoying..

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Rhyela wrote:I find my dwarf has a lot of personality, actually. She's cute and spunky! She's a tank, so she runs sword-first into an enemy, any enemy. Oh, which reminds me, elites are freaking ELITE in this game. There is no paladin soloing a group of four same-level elites. Elites will chew you up and spit you out. I love it!!!
That sounds promising. But, are they integrated into quests at all or just kinda... nearby? (a la Velskar, Whale Shark, etc)

What I'm especially wondering, is solo'ing more challenging than in wow or about the same?
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I find soloing in Rift to be enjoyable. You won't get a quest with elites that requires a group until you hit the level 20 zone. There aren't elites wandering around the world in the starting zone unless your server has a bad cleanup group after a big public event, or unless there's a major Rift/invasion/foothold around.

The questing flow is pleasant though, and the Rift events offer a nice break in between them.

[/center]
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

How about the challenge level though, for solo'ing? Specifically I mean the combat.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

After discussing it with my boyfriend, it's relatable to Vanilla/BC. If you're careful and very skilled depending on your class and chosen souls, you can handle between 2-5 mobs. My bf pulled off a pretty neat pull last night where he had his pet tank one mob, he sheeped one mob, feared the other, and then nuked em all down one by one.

I consider myself an average/doofy player. Some of the mobs are pretty densely packed in areas, and if it's high traffic time, they respawn fast. I make quite a few trips to the graveyard for taking on two mobs and not being careful about what I'm doing or accidentally aggroing more as I kite.

Personally, I find it at a good level; I die for doing stupid shit, and sometimes I live for pulling something miraculous out of my ass.

[/center]