Looking for help in my choices.....

Sticks

Looking for help in my choices.....

Unread post by Sticks »

Hey all,

As I mentioned other in the other forum I'm new to WoW and after experimenting have decided to role a hunter as my main when I return home from my work trip. This toon will be my one and only until I reach level cap with it so at least I've done it once :)

I'm looking for help choosing my race. Racials don't effect me too much as I'm not a perfectionist looking for that little extra DPS I'm just a casual gamer in it for fun.

I'm sticking with Alliance as I've saved up quite abit of gold on that side and don't want to waste it.

With that in mind my choices have been narrowed down to nelf, worgen or draenei and am looking for your help.

I would like to see screenshots of the different races at high level (both male and female) and things like on mounts etc as I will need to be happy with my toons looks if I'm to play for a long time. So if you could rake your ss archives I would love the help and your opinions.

Thanks all

Sticks
KutiePi

Re: Looking for help in my choices.....

Unread post by KutiePi »

I prefer the classic Dwarf. But god no more NE and Worgen hunters, I mean if you want to go for it but soooo many of them, bleargh.

But yea Dwarves look pretty sweet as hunters and they have Beards of Power! O_O The questing zone isn't too bad, they've got awesome voices and a sweet dance. Also being drunk doesn't effect their aim lol and they're always drunk! haha Or go Draenei, you can use your tentacles to help aim lol.
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

Well just pick the race you like they can all get the same mounts. Pick the race that is most like your body type maybe.

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Sticks

Unread post by Sticks »

Yeah I know they all can have any mounts just wanted to see how they looked straddled on one lol.

I'd like to try draenei as I've never played one and have done all other starting zones but just not sure I can deal with hooves and tenticals lol.

The commoness of nelfs is off putting and the male worgen walk puts me off too so I'm at an impass. I do like dwarfs but want to use a bow or cross bow really as the gun sound is annoying and I've heard that there aren't any really good pve guns.

I know I can mod sound so they are still and option, are engineering guns any good as I could always just level that as my prof?
Aritria
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H/A)

Unread post by Aritria »

<flightattendant>Welcome to the World of Azeroth. We would like to tell you that you can leave at any time, with an emergency exit here, here, and here on the craft. All your needs about your race and class will be met by questing and external sources found on the internet. Food and drink will be served for your Avatar at any time they need. Please look at your pamphlet, found in the pocket in the seat in front of you, for your basic how-to's, do's, and don'ts of an internet MMORPG. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the World of Warcraft! </flightattendant>

In other words: Welcome!

Picking a race is different in everyone's eyes, as the aesthetics are that in which beauty is the eye of the beholder. I'd say roll one of each race (male or female, up to you), and walk through the starting zones (maybe level 10 or 12ish), just to give a sense of where each of the races are coming from, their motives and goals, and their racial ablilities. You get to see the physicality of the races and you can play around and see what the animations are. Then you get to decide which is right for you.

Or, you can choose your race based on your own history. Personally, I chose my race (a Blood Elf) because of the lore and their ability to find themselves stronger after a back-to-back fight with adversity. I saw myself in them because of that, which is why I have a Blood Elf main.

But it is ultimately up to you. You get enough flack from people about gear and item levels, attack rotation tweaking, and just your race and class in general (like being a Blood Elf Hunter). Play around, and if you like what you see in a certain race, keep playing it!

You can find more information on mounts, classes, races, and items on The Official World of Warcraft Site, WoWWiki, WoWhead.com, and WoWPedia. These are some sites that can help get you started and can hopefully make the decision easier. Hope this all helps!

Happy Hunting!
-A.
Aritria's Adventures in Azeroth or Otherwise

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." - Lou Holtz

Sigs by the beautiful, talented Serenith, Kurenio, and Nili. Rock on, guys!
Avatars by Serenith, Sarah of Soaked, and other avatar artists.

The Pride of Nesingwary
Aritria, the Mother
Killasandra, the Daughter | Alessira, the Sister Adopted | Filomena, the Lover

Sticks

Unread post by Sticks »

Thanks again for the welcome.

Anyone have input regarding the gun situation?

I've decided that Worgen and Night Elf are now out of the running and it's between Dwarf and Draenei. Which one looks most badass in level 85 gear and weapons though? :p
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I would say go hang out on portal island--an easy way for low levels to ogle 85s. :)
CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Unread post by CrystalKitten »

I don't believe you HAVE to use a gun as a dwarf. Just at the starting zone, but once you start doing quests and dungeons you can always choose to just keep to bows. Not stereotypically dwarf-like... but it's an option. I think this new patch seems to be more bow-centric than wrath was (I remember being all sad that all my upgrades were guns... My night elf doesn't WANT a gun.. guns are noisy.. they scare away all the fluffies!) as well, so you really don't NEED to stick with guns just cause you pick a dwarf, unless you want to for lore/story reasons.
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Aye, you don't NEED a gun as a dwarf unless you're looking to min/max--which you said you aren't. That said, who cares how many night elf and worgen hunters exist? If that's the race that's most appealing to you, then that's what you should play. This game is HUGE, with millions of players, of course there's going to be lots of clones of certain race/class combos. (For the record, night elves have a pretty handy racial for PvP and worgen get an inherent 1% crit; not too shabby of racials and their looks are decent.)

My worgen isn't a super high level yet, but here's an idea of what she looks like on a mount:

Not the most fantastic shot, but a female draenei on a mount:

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Sticks wrote:I do like dwarfs but want to use a bow or cross bow really as the gun sound is annoying.
I dislike guns for the same reason. My dwarf alt prefers bows; she's a Wildhammer that hasn't been corrupted by all that Gnomish engineering like the Bronzebeards. :)
Sticks

Unread post by Sticks »

Yeah your right I don't need a gun to be a dwarf. I'm still un decided I keep thinking I've made my decision then next time I think about it I'm deciding on something else lol. Well I still have a week till I get home and have to decide.

Right now it's back to nelf but I'm sure it will change again before I get home lol

Thanks for the screenies!!
Sticks

Unread post by Sticks »

Oh and wheres portal island?
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Sticks wrote:Oh and wheres portal island?
It's in the lake in the NE corner of Stormwind. The easiest way to get there if you can't fly is to jump off Stormwind Keep into the lake.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unfortunately my only high level hunters are Horde, however, I went ahead and took a couple of screenshots of my worgen and night elf hunters, both of them just standing in gear and doing their shooting animations.

Night Elf:

Worgen:

I'll see about getting you some shots from my baby draenei as well.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Serendipity82
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

My level 85 Draenei in ZG:
WoWScrnShot_070411_170055.jpg
WoWScrnShot_070411_170055.jpg (380.07 KiB) Viewed 2871 times

Hope this helps! Though I gotta say, any of the races you have it narrowed down to are pretty awesome.

WTB Tyger's ability to take screenshots.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Psh, Veph's are better. I tend to over think mine too much.

[/center]
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

I got an addon awhile ago, that turned the gun sound into the bow sound, it's the only way I can tolerate using a gun.

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Sticks

Unread post by Sticks »

Thought I'd let you all know I've made my decision...

I'm going in completely the opposite direction to my original thoughts and starting a blood elf hunter lol

Going horde after all as I've read the warcraft history and the blood elf appeals to me in looks and in lore.

Shame to waste my gold though so I will post my sever when I get home and first member of this community to approch me gets it, about 1000 gold I think in total.

Sticks
Raederle
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Nesignwary

Unread post by Raederle »

Congrats! I love my belf hunter.
What we choose to fight is so tiny!
What fights us is so great!
-- Rilke