Bill S.978 Will SHUT DOWN Gaming Videos and Streams EVERYWHE

Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Bill S.978 Will SHUT DOWN Gaming Videos and Streams EVER

Unread post by Ijomi »

That was Senator Amy Klobuchar in the quote. As I said, I agree that there is much that needs clarification here, but the keyword is "profit". The courts would be hard-pressed to find you were trying to make money off sharing a goofy time with friends on the internet. People who sell "remixes" or outright charge for pirated works are another matter altogether. :)

This bill does need work, but the furor I'm seeing in the video comments, oaths to move to other countries or calling for terrorist acts or revolution, is hardly logical either.

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I know who it was in the quote, I've been to the website where you got it before.

And while she may say that, the bill itself still does not. A quote from her does not change the bill she wrote/supports/whatever.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Ijomi »

:p Hence the "needs work" we agree on. But hopefully, that is the intention of the proposal. I don't see it passing otherwise.

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I guarantee this bill will not go through. This bill is just as ridiculous as the bill that was supposed to turn all airsoft guns bright orange and pretty. Fucking government loves trying to ruin the majority due to an incident that happened to a single or few people. I can understand the need for this in Movies and TV (and even music), but it's strongly upheld already as far as youtube goes. Making videogame content online illegal will destroy the communities backbone, and basically turn us to the dark.

I agree with one of the earlier posts in here, saying that without these types of videos, we will not know what a game will be like, and it will destroy sales. I can't even see most video game companies agreeing to this bill. Especially with all the extremely awful games coming out, which in commercials look amazing. No one will know just how good a game is until they spend their $60 (Or hell, if a new console comes out $80+) on it and test it themselves. Not only that, but video game buyback stores such as Gamers or Gamestop will give even less cash/credit back for games b/c they will have so many awful games being sold to them that they can't offer anything more than probably 15%, if that.

This is such a horrible idea. I'll be astounded if this passes. And even more so if it's b/c of videogame companies that it's passed.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

Aeladrine wrote:This bill is poorly written and poorly thought out.
Couldn't have said it better then I could. The way it is now is just atrocious, I guess what I should have said in my first post was I approve of why they want the bill passed but the way its written now will natively effect a major part of the gaming community. Hell I can tell you that most of my games that I bought where from watching let plays and reviews on youtube. I would go "Oohhh! That game is awesome! Whats it called and where do I buy it?!" If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have any games unless they go back to making magazines like Nintendo Power and tell you all the cheats and reviews of the game.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Stupidest bill ever. Good gods, the people who designed this don't understand the internet. I highly doubt this will go anywhere, because someone is going to realize how idiotic this is.
QFT.

Mistashred
Realm: Magtheridon

Unread post by Mistashred »

Kinda tired of hearing about this. This will NOT hurt the video game streaming community. pretty much every game company would change their TOS to make it fine to stream. they would be losing BIG money if they didn't. who wouldn't want free advertising?

Movies and such doesn't bother me.
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

You know this is the kinda bill that pisses me off. You want to make it illegal to make a review, an AMV, or a Machinima, but then the Law is ok with assholes protesting Military funerals and yelling at greiving parents "Im glad your son is dead He deserved to die"