Something I'd like to see...

Read-only since Patch 4.3 is now live.
Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring//Twisting Nether

Something I'd like to see...

Unread post by Striv »

Maybe not necessarily this patch but maybe a future patch?

I'd like us to be able to choose what Talent Tree our pet is. Meaning, if I were to tame a warpstalker, his talents would show all three trees and I'd pick one. Personally I'd make him Ferocity. I love the warpstalkers so much but they're tank pets and I can't take that to a raid to max my dps :(

So my main reason as to why I think this would be a good idea it that, like I said above, I want to pick my pet based on what he looks like, not what talent tree he has.

Anyone else agree? Or have a reason why this would be a bad idea?
Darven
Realm: Undermine - US

Re: Something I'd like to see...

Unread post by Darven »

I would love this, or atleast something similar. Since Cata, all pets do baseline damage so only your telents and their talents change that. Granted you should take cunning or felrocity into Raids/Dungeons but if you want to ake a tenacity you wont see a major difference.
Maby give pets the option to have an off spec. Such as a tenacity having a cunning off spec, or a felrocity having a tenacity off spec.
You also have to realize that certin pets don't exactly match with other trees; Like a sporebat, tallstider, moth, or bird of prey being tenacity, or a beatle, turtle or shale spider being felrocity.
Though I can easily see a ravager, silithid, devilsaur,nether ray, crocolisk, or boar as felrocity. Just like I can see a cat, bear, gorilla, or foxes being cunning.
Aritria
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H/A)

Unread post by Aritria »

Darven wrote:foxes being cunning.
You know, I never got Blizz's desicion on why they were ferocity in the first place if this is what springs to eveyone's mind when someone says "Fox".
Aritria's Adventures in Azeroth or Otherwise

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." - Lou Holtz

Sigs by the beautiful, talented Serenith, Kurenio, and Nili. Rock on, guys!
Avatars by Serenith, Sarah of Soaked, and other avatar artists.

The Pride of Nesingwary
Aritria, the Mother
Killasandra, the Daughter | Alessira, the Sister Adopted | Filomena, the Lover

Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Striv »

Though I understand about the whole... tallstrider not being a tank. If we were to look at WoW like real life, a hunters pet would always be distracting the enemy he/she is fighting. There wouldn't be a "tank" pet or a "dps" pet. So in a way, I don't see making all the pets having the talent trees a problem. You'd just pick.

And I agree, why aren't foxes cunning?
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

I put this idea up on the forums before.... not too many liked it but you have my full support ive wanted this for a long time, so there would be no more bais on pets, that being BM with my bear or worm wouldnt make people laugh at me
\

signature thanks to Kurieno
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I want this just so I can make my worm ferocity and my chimaera tenacity. :)
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I'd definitely use my boar more often if he were ferocity, but I know there were some very good counter-arguments posted when this topic cropped up last time.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Unread post by Lazurianis »

I agree fully, I love this idea. I don't like how some of my pets are cunning though sense I don't PVP Anymore so in all respect i'd switch them to Ferocity. And I have no need for Tenacity sense I have my trusty turtle :D, but you have my full support on this. Where do I sign? :lol:

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
Raloth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Khadgar

Unread post by Raloth »

I like the idea of choosing a pets tree. My lion has protected me many a times quite well, almost better than my bear or shale spider. I'd love to test him out as a tenacity pet, for the fun of it and all that :)
Ebonrook
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US)

Unread post by Ebonrook »

I'm all for choosing a pet's spec since I'd absolutely love to have my warp stalker as ferocity, but I do agree that one of the counter-arguements is that Blizzard likely wants people to see something and know it's a <insert type here>. I suppose one can argue that you can't usually tell what sort of spec a player is unless it's glaringly obvious (Shadowform, cat form, a dual-wielding DK), but I just have a hard time seeing it actually happen.

That doesn't mean I can't dream, though... Blizzard has been wanting to diversify pets and no matter what they've done, we as a class get pigeon-holed into using the same handful of pets: Wolves/D-Saur, Cats/Spirit Beasts, and Ravagers (to name a few). Yet even if we were able to choose our pet specs, that still doesn't solve the problem about having preferred pets in PvP and PvE. If there was a way to do away with pet family skills entirely (don't kill me yet) and have "simplified" versions choosable from the pet talent tree, I'd love that. That way, you could have, say, a ferocity spider who gives a 5% damage buff instead of a root, or something.

I just don't know how it'd work on a balance and execution level... Barring that hypothetical musing, just being able to pick your pet talent type would be incredible.
Förster
Realm: Kargath

Unread post by Förster »

Striv wrote:Maybe not necessarily this patch but maybe a future patch?

I'd like us to be able to choose what Talent Tree our pet is. Meaning, if I were to tame a warpstalker, his talents would show all three trees and I'd pick one. Personally I'd make him Ferocity. I love the warpstalkers so much but they're tank pets and I can't take that to a raid to max my dps
thats a nice idea, and it would make for more personal pets, because the pets special abilities (ie roar of courage) would be the same for the pet no matter which tree you went down, so you could have a cat tanking but still get the agi and str. or to have the wolf with crit, the raptor with the debuff it gives etc
Evolet
Realm: Blood Furnace

Unread post by Evolet »

I'd love to have a ferocious turtle. :3

Wasn't there a rumour floating around pre-Cata that this would be implemented with the new expansion? It sounds like a reasonable enough change. Maybe someday!

The extraordinary is in what we do - not who we are.

Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Striv »

Theyve already made hunter easy enough, taking away the loyalty levels and happiness (i kinda miss the loyalty levels,) mine as well give us this if not now, in the future.

Just my two cents. I dislike having to take my wolf/devilsaur when I'm much more attracted to the way my warpstalker looks.
Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstraza

Unread post by Loffter »

I dunno, I kind of like getting into a group, looking at the makup, and then dashing to my stables to grab the 5 most likely needed pets. Turtle for wipe saving usually comes. I usually also bring Ghostcrawler because awesome.. Then I bring two pets who are high on priority (Almost always need a silithid, preists are rare!), then lastly my worm for AoE pulls. I love constantly switching through my pets based on the given situation. It feels to go have my silithid out for the health buff, then we do a 5 mob no CC pull so I dismiss and bring out my worm, drop an earthquake, look up and notice a cat has escaped the pack and is attacking a dps, so i dismiss the worm for my turtle, taunt, and it's just...so thrilling. I feel like I'm doing something. I have a couple of prefered pets, but I love that most of my pets get some usage.

Except Rhinos. Poor, poor rhinos..
Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Striv »

Well let's look at it this way. I'm going to use the worm as example.

The worm gets two abilities right away, those being: Acid Spit and Burrow Attack.

Your pet would keep those abilities, because those are "racials" but you'd be able to choose which spec your pet is. So the warpstalker, by default, would have: Time Warp, BUT i'd be able to choose if he was Cunning, Tenacity, or Ferocity.

Seems like a good deal to me. You'd still pick your pet based off of what abilities he has, but you'd get to choose his spec.

edit: spelling
Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sarantha »

I'd love this. I love my Galladon (Karkin) but can't use him in raids because he's tenacity and does not do well for my dps. I have to use a kitty or a wolf.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
Lotusii
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary/Argent Dawn

Unread post by Lotusii »

I would like this as I am a fan of warp stalkers and several other tenacity and cunning pets.
Sig by the AMAZING Sookie.
Ryannie
Realm: Quel'dorei- Alliance

Unread post by Ryannie »

Well some hunters do remember how we would go out and raise loyalty of a pet then getting the ability to teach them talents. I honestly think that system should bring back.
Hey if you are wondering about the guild "Petopians" on Anasterian, well it got disbanded but a few of us decided to make a new guild called Protectors of Hyjal. Message anyone in-game to ask for an invite. Hope to see you guys again soon!
Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

i've been thinking about the pet trees also. just like ours, where we can choose which tree our pets will be. if it were possible, i would most likely release all the pets in my stable, and just keep 3-4 active pets, since i hardly ever use any of the stabled pets.

the pet loyalty wasnt too bad, but leveling a low level pet was a chore. but kinda let you bond with them. back then it was only 3 pets, then 5, and now 25.
Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sarantha »

I remember having to tame certain pets just to learn an ability, fighting mob after mob, then FINALLY learning the ability. The I could abandon my only-tamed-for the ability pet, and get my real pet back. I honestly thought that was more trouble than it was worth. Sure it'd bring back some of the things people liked about vanilla, but I wouldn't like it. I didn't like it at first, and I don't like it now. I WOULD like my pets to somehow be able to learn abilities from others though, and would like to see a system implemented where we can do that, but without the taming random pets for certain abilities thing.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)