What pet do you hate(dislike)? Why? (Rare or common)

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Meggers
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sargeras US

What pet do you hate(dislike)? Why? (Rare or common)

Unread post by Meggers »

I'm just curious how some of you feel about the various critters we can tame.

I personally dislike loque. Wark's post actually made me think about it and the fact that for some reason I just really don't like the cat at all.

Okay I have reasons. Too loud (I love my Krush but his ROAWRRRR kills my ears, same with Corehounds...TOO LOUD!) The skinny little waist and the hind legs...bother me so much. I like the general idea of the white cat with blue spirit like spots but I just...can't like it enough to tame...ever.

Same with Gondria, the purple color always made me go "BLEH" yet I really appreciate Ankha and Magria. I'm a sucker for blue + green.

As for general families I'd likely never tame...basic worms/boars/ravagers/beetles/basic carrion birds (I like the two headers though)/Hyenas/Lynx Cats (Unless they get updated)/Basic felines(I like saber cats, regular maned lions are still kinda eh and I'm not a huge fan of Sambas either)

How about you guys? what don't you like? Why? what will never find its way into your stables?
Last edited by Meggers on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: What pet do you hate? Why? (Rare or common)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Dragonhawks. too pretty and take up too much screen real estate.
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

Honestly....I hate spirit beasts. They are fairly the same as the class they come out of (ignoring Ghost.C. and Arcturis)...and only two of them are really "beasty". I also see so MANY OF THEM around.
And Deth'tilac. I always see him up or tamed.......always...

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I tried with Loque, I really did. I tamed him once, abandoned him, restored him, renamed him, tried coming up with a personality for him, ran dungeons with him, and he's just too damn ugly. He doesn't suit Veeka at all. He doesn't look powerful or intelligent, the sort of companions she wants - he looks like a scrawny, malnourished cat with a giant head, something she'd have left where she found it. He makes cool noises, I guess, but I could never keep him. He was the first of my spirit beasts to go, and I don't regret it a bit. I know he's BM's poster child, the very first spirit beast...but it doesn't mean he's the best. :P

I thought I'd never like bears, either. I always tried to tame white ones, thinking they'd match my main more(she's a white-skinned draenei) - I didn't really come around to one until I did Merri's common pet project and tamed Stella, a plain ol' black bear from Loch Modan. I ended up 'adopting' her on Veeka after I stopped playing Merri, but she's the only bear I've ever been able to stand.

As for families I really can't stand...Devilsaurs, Shale Spiders and Spirit Beasts, for me. Devilsaurs are just too loud, and I've never been able to bond with one. Shale Spiders are shrieking hellbeasts and I can't stand the noise, and spirit beasts just all look weird to me. I keep one who I bonded with on a whim(Skoll) just in case I decide to go BM again, but I've never really been able to 'collect' them simply because they all seem so...empty to me. They never end up with much of a personality, so I let them go.

I do my best not to let the popularity of a pet lessen the value of it, but I'm really tired of Skarr and the rare spiders, too, to the point that I'm considering letting my Skarr go and use my plain old lynx instead. My only spider is a common red one from the front, and while he doesn't set off any NPCscans he's special to me in his own weird way.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

Sambas. Big goofy looking cotton ball.
Humar. I hated every hunter who had him that strutted around like their poo wasn't smelly.
Wolves (all of 'em). Ty Wrath for forcing them on us. At least we had options in BC (ravager, anyone?)

Bats. Ugly and awkward.
Chimeras. Way too big.
Wind Serpents. That over-exaggerated tail movement drives me nuts.

Gorillas. BUTT. SCRATCHING.
Crabs (and by extension, dogs). Channeled ability = pets doing nothing else for the duration. Poor design.
Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

Nubhorns - I seem to be disliking some of the overdone rares myself as well. I want a blue Madexx because I think the new scorpion skin is nifty and I love the coloring...I got bronze and didn't like it (though Its probably the color I like second most...the pinkish on green irritates the shit out of me and the eyes don't seem to fit at all)...have red + green and will probably drop both as neither makes me want to keep them. Even the "rare" factor. I have Deth but I like the coloring and I've never liked any of the spiders before...but I will likely drop my Kirix. -dumps rare things- I feel bad, grabbed a Karkin on a whim too but I just can't click with it. :(
ImageImage
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Spirit beasts. Every thing about them I can't stand. They have done more bad than good to hunters quite frankly.
Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

What harm do you think they have done? o:
ImageImage
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

There aren't many pets I truly *hate* but there are a lot I don't like.

Most bears. Just ew. Their model is so… bumbly. If they had a better running animation, maybe, but for now the "Big bear butt" thing gets to me too much. Every once in a blue moon I can stand them.

Almost all normal birds. As in, owls and carrion birds. The super fast flapflapflap makes it so I can't really see their detail as much, and it really bugs me. Eagles and other sorts of carrion birds are much better, as their slow flaps let me look at the wing details.

Mastiffs. I can't stand how they run and move.

MONKEYS. The only pet family I truly HATE. Everything about them is badly animated. Their bodies break in half when they run!

Shale spiders, only because of their noise. Well, that and the fact that they look so "not alive" that I can't bond with them..

Most wind serpents, for some reason. I think it's the flying animation, it doesn't make sense and that really bugs me.

…And, I admit, almost all of the "OMGRARE" pets. I feel like my face is molding into a blank slate when I run around with them. (This is NOT SAYING THAT ALL HUNTERS ARE LIKE THIS. Just me! Because I'm weird!)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Carrion Birds(one headed ones) are just...ugly.

Birds of Prey are useless.

Sporebats are ugly.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Jessibelle wrote:Birds of Prey are useless.
You don't PvP often, do ya. :P

Their usefulness is situational, really - I massively prefer my spider, but there's something amazing about pissing the geared-to-the-teeth warrior off with a seagull.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nubhorns wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:Birds of Prey are useless.
You don't PvP often, do ya. :P

Their usefulness is situational, really - I massively prefer my spider, but there's something amazing about pissing the geared-to-the-teeth warrior off with a seagull.
Nope. When I do, it's my spider out. I tried a bird of prey. He died...all.the.time!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Well let's see.

First off the entire cunning tree - oh plenty of the pets look cool, that's not what bothers me; it's the fact that even though they look like something I should be able to pug with... they inevitably seem to do less dmg. Maybe things are different in raids, but every time I've taken them into dungeons, or done target dummy tests - ferocity > cunning, without fail. Now maybe feeding frenzy 2/2 would make the difference... if the boss spent a LONG time in the bottom 1/3 of its HP bar... but I haven't run into that scenario in pugs / hpugs yet, so that would have to be a raid thing if at all... at least if they gave cunning pets charge they'd *feel* a lot more usable, but honestly I'd rather just see the ferocity and cunning trees merged (so that playing just pve or just pvp doesn't kind of wall you off from most or all of an entire family).

Bears. The reason so many people report the "big bear butt" is not so much that bears have such a disproportionately large posterior, as that their back legs are straight whilst the fore legs stay in a permanent crouch - this is why when riding a bear mount it looks like you're about to go sliding forward down the slope of its back and tumble over its head. Could have been one of the most impressive pets in the game if they'd simply let it stand normally, instead it became one of the goofiest (looking).

Bats. Not sure what it is I dislike about these, but they just come off as too shrieky and too flappy. Might not be avoidable, dunno, but I've tried to bond with them a few times but it never works. Again, might be different if cunning was a little more pve friendly. Also, might benefit from being smaller via scroll of pet reduction.

Carrion Birds. There are some I like, but what I *don't* like are the ones with the white ring around their neck that looks like they got their head stuck through a toilet seat and flew off with it still there.

Devilsaur. Without monstrous growth they just look like awkward mutant raptors. Blizzard took what was the signature BM creature and let it be truncated by short term thinking - yeah the new pet system (in re: removal of imbalancing DD abilities) is cool, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have added the effect back in as a bonus ability. Come on now.

Dog. Channeled? Really? And slobberchops scooby doo look - w/e.

Fox. Suffers from opposite problem devilsaurs have - this one is too big. They need a scroll of pet reduction - the glyph is too broadscale.

Gorilla. Yeah, scratching... couldn't they have just scratched their armpits or something less eyyeehhhh...?

Monkey. Just don't like these guys, don't know if it's anything that could be fixed either. Scroll of pet reduction would help but...

Nether Ray. Boring, clunky, weird looking - could have been cool as tenacity; they are heavy enough and it would finally bring a flying pet to the tank family, but otherwise I can't see myself bothering with one.

Shale Spider. Too small.

Warp Stalker. Another victim of the REALLY BIG GLOBAL PET PLAN - they look so goofy when they run, can't their warp possibly be restored as maybe a pet bonus ability which simply changes the animation of charge?

Spirit Beasts. Not because of aesthetics - I like all of their looks (though some more than others) - but because they are like crack for hunters, causing more and yet more new pets to be added to the point where things just start to feel bland; hunters are encouraged to run out and tame stuff just for the trophy value, and meanwhile the few that would actually use it as their main pet have to wait that much longer. That's why I like things such as common skin rares with challenging tames, and/or cool looking rares belonging to non-exotic families, e.g. spread it around - more dethtilac / terrorpene, less gondria / arcturis.
Last edited by Worba on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sarantha »

Arcturis. Camped him for weeks, and when I finally got him and used him for a bit, I realized how ugly he was and that I had just wasted a couple weeks trying to get fugly bear. I kept him until today, when I finally dumped his ass. I just never used him and my stable slot would be better filled by a pet I liked more and used more.

I just think Arcturis is ugly, tbh. If all of him was colored like his front, he'd be nicer looking, but the sharp blue of his front does not go well with the nearly transparent ass.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Number one for me: Loque. Only thing I like about him is his roars. They are awesome... in small amounts. They really get annoying hearing them throughout an entire raid/dungeon. Otherwise, his completely unproportionate body just... why? The vanilla cats have a more realistic body shape than he does and Loque was made two expansions later. Plus... that jaw. D= Sambas also has unproportionate mane compared to his body, but he's ok besides that. A beautiful model, but Blizzard needs to trim his mane. I can't see how that cat can run around without dragging his head on the ground.

Odd one to dislike, but I hate King Bangalash. This goes back to vanilla when every hunter had a cat, most having him because of his fast run speed and he wasn't a rare like Brokentooth and Humar. Actually, I hate a lot of cats because that was all hunters had in vanilla. Only cats I really love are lynxes as they were my old night elf's cat form that I still miss.

I don't hate them, but only pets families I will never tame are gorillas and monkeys. I just don't like using primates as pets.

Whatever rare is popular at the time will bug me. I can't walk through Orgimmar now without tripping over Madexxs, Sambas, and tons of lava spiders. However, it's not because they are so rare that they are common, but because some hunters that only tame FotM rares think they are so special having a stable full of only rares. I had a hunter that whispered me telling me I was bad because I used a red lynx and didn't have Sambas because Sambas, being a rare, is so much better. No thank you. Your rare only stable is boring. I rather find a hunter with "common" pets because those stables truly are unique and interesting.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

"You're all individuals!"

"We're all individuals..."

"I'm not!"

"Right - not the man in the back there. But the rest of you are all individuals!"
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Wassa wrote:Whatever rare is popular at the time will bug me. I can't walk through Orgimmar now without tripping over Madexxs, Sambas, and tons of lava spiders. However, it's not because they are so rare that they are common, but because some hunters that only tame FotM rares think they are so special having a stable full of only rares. I had a hunter that whispered me telling me I was bad because I used a red lynx and didn't have Sambas because Sambas, being a rare, is so much better. No thank you. Your rare only stable is boring. I rather find a hunter with "common" pets because those stables truly are unique and interesting.
I know this feeling exactly. :/ I get it pretty frequently in dungeons for some reason. Skarr is the exact same as my lynx, but apparently he's better because he's shiny and unique.

I have not met a single 'rare collector' in game who I actually like. I'm not talking about a few spirit beasts and Skarr + Sambas + some spiders - I'm talking about the gibbering idiots with overflowing stables with four Loques and a serious case of unwarranted self-importance who pooh-pooh anything that doesn't have a silver dragon and 'OMGAH YOUNEEK' plastered on its ass. I have issues with the 'Pokemon trainers' too who stockpile the spiders/Madexxes, never use them and then go 'I HAVE NO MORE ROOM', but most of them are nice people. :P

Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sarantha »

Wassa wrote:Whatever rare is popular at the time will bug me. I can't walk through Orgimmar now without tripping over Madexxs, Sambas, and tons of lava spiders. However, it's not because they are so rare that they are common, but because some hunters that only tame FotM rares think they are so special having a stable full of only rares. I had a hunter that whispered me telling me I was bad because I used a red lynx and didn't have Sambas because Sambas, being a rare, is so much better. No thank you. Your rare only stable is boring. I rather find a hunter with "common" pets because those stables truly are unique and interesting.
I am starting to feel that way. My stable is STILL full of a lot of "rares", but I also have "commons" in there too that I actually like almost better than the rares. The spirit beasts and lava spiders were tamed because I actually LIKE the way they look, not because they're "rare and better", and blue Madexx is the only one I actually love and have an attachment to. Green and red were tamed out of pity for the pet because Madexx gets no love on my server. I actually see someone with Madexx for a pet VERY rarely, and no one wants him when I announce he's up, even if its a rarer color like green or red. As of right now, I am using a common black windserpent as my questing pet, and occasionally a red one. I <3 my Temeraire and Iskierka. I also have a vanilla worm in my pet call list that I really like. I only tamed these recently and am finding that I use and like them much more than my "rares".

As for Sambas, I dislike him. A LOT. I only had him in my stables for a short while before releasing him because I just couldn't stand him. He looks like a mildly retarded lion with a genetic defect. I tamed him just to see what all the hooplah was about (everyone was, and still does, want Sambas on my server), and was quite disappointed.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Ya I'm not saying rares are bad. Some rares I love their look, such as Banny and Terrorpene. Just don't call out hunters with "common" pet skins. Just because I didn't camp for hours to get most of my pets doesn't make them bad. They do the exact same dps, plus I didn't waste hours camping for them. =P

Thumbs up for a vanilla worm Sarantha. They need more love. My teal old world worm Dziko is my favorite tanking pet. I use him way more than I use Terrorpene. He may not be flashy but he's got so much personality.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Madexx is kind of weird for me. He's very pretty no matter what color he is, but he's just so...middle-of-the-road as an actual pet. Scorpids were and still are very situational pets, which is why they're still so 'rare' now - people collect the colors because they're rare and pretty, and they kind of forget that they're not nearly as useful as a cat or a wolf or whatever else you normally use - there's nothing wrong with using them, of course, but I think they don't see much outside of someone's stables because they're a pet family that has a very specific niche. Same with the MF spiders - awesome if you PvP, but even then you only really need one.