Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Exodar

Greener Pastures...

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 1 :

Perhaps I was never meant to be here. Sometimes that’s exactly what I think when my tribe stare at me. They think I cannot see their side ways glances, but I always do. In my heart I actually agree with them, yet could not fathom living anywhere else in the world.

I am so frail compared to all my kin here. They all tower above me and I must always be aware of their great strength. Still, I love my home as fiercely as anyone and would not think twice to protect it with my life. I am Roonorra Grimhoof. Daughter of Grallorn Grimhoof. When I was younger I would beg my father to tell me the story over and over. To his credit and vast patience he would never fail to do so. I would gleefully bound into his lap around the roaring fire of our tiny camp while his deep voice transported me away into the dim past.

A terrible battle took place long ago above the peaceful skies of Mulgore. Great flying beast with their riders warred above the swaying grass of my fathers homeland. The skies grew dark as foul energies were unleashed in the titanic struggle far above and the tribe took shelter. All save my father who braved the maelstrom’s fury. He spoke of the distant shapes colliding and of combat most vicious. It was then that a lone figure broke away from all the rest and spiraled down towards the tribes scattered dwellings upon the plain. Not afraid my father rushed forth to meet it as is always been his way, but this was no demon or enemy that he now faced.

My father’s face would always grow pained when he spoke next. His deep voice would become hushed as he told of what awaited him next. A powerful creature part lion and part eagle lay dying on the field before him. He hesitated only a moment before running over to where it slowly struggled to breath. It’s great eyes looked up into his and seemed satisfied to let him pass unhindered to it’s side. It was there the true surprise lay waiting.

The great creature lifted a protective wing to reveal a thin and mortally wounded Blood Elf female. She wore the robes of royalty and my father knelt down beside her to offer aid. He says she peered deeply into his eyes for what seemed a lifetime and then smiled weakly. The Blood Elf slowly opened her arms and with trembling hands handed my father her most guarded secret. The dying woman asked my father to swear an oath to always protect the child. An oath my father agreed upon the minute he looked into my face.

I do not remember my mother, but my father tells me she was beautiful beyond measure and that I favor her the older I get. I always kiss my father’s hairy chin just to hear his rumble of laughter seconds later. Yet, that is not the end of his old story, but he always pauses at this point to rub my head making my long ears wave back and forth. The fire has grown dim and he stirs it’s glowing embers rekindling it’s warm light. It is then his voice again rumbles with what came next...
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Re: Greener Pastures...

Unread post by Nevar »

Awww I love it! Keep going with it imo - very beautiful :)

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Saydeflower
Realm: Uther, Emerald Dream

Unread post by Saydeflower »

Yay! Very sweet and intriguing! Hope you share some more with us :)
Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 2 :

My father now stood out in the howling winds and rain sheltering me from their wrath with powerful arms. The battle far above was now over, but shadowy figures still rode upon the winds searching for something lost. Father says he sensed danger in those dark shapes and did something he had never done before or since. He ran...

Returning to the tribes camp he found it in disarray. The winds tore at our dwellings and the dozen there worked feverishly to secure it against the unnatural storm battering the plain that night. The old female of our tribe never questioned my father when he handed me to her. She simply nodded and ducked back into the main tent. There she guarded over my step sister and I while my father stood watch outside. He tells of how the dark shapes then descended upon our tiny camp and how the storm only grew worse.

I always sense the fear in my father’s voice when he speaks of this encounter and it sends chills up my spine for I have never witnessed fear in him before. I sometimes think it was not fear for himself, but for his children. As I have grown up over the years he has never failed to quiet my own fears no matter what they were. Many times my sister and I would awaken during the night to howls from the plains wolves. As children those howls sent terrors through our minds and we would slip out of our beds to where father slept. He would always start a fire and hush our fears away with laughter and the occasional piece of spice bread. My sister and I would sit upon his lap listening to his ancient tales of adventure until all our fears had evaporated. Soon we would be fast asleep with his thundering heartbeat as a lullaby.

My father’s voice would go on for the story was not over. The shadows from on high falling upon my tribe. My father daring them entry with only his bare hands as weapons. He says the riders were Blood Elves themselves, but strangely different. They radiated an air of evil he would not let touch his people. Terrible energies seemed to dance about the six strangers and he was, but a lowly Hunter of the plains. He says he had made his peace with the Earth Mother and was determined to take as many with him to the spirit world as possible when salvation arrived with a mighty gust of wind.

From the depths of the night rode forth the might of Mulgore itself. Cairne Bloodhoof and the warriors from the Bluff . Although I have seen him many times on our visits to Thunderbluff, Cairne has never failed to fill me with overwhelming pride. He wears simple attire that is the hallmark of the Tauren people, but he commands a power that demands respect from allies and enemies alike. My father’s voice fills with pride telling how Cairne came down upon the enemy that night when it seemed all was lost.

Father says Cairne was not concerned with their magical powers and strode before them unafraid demanding they give ground and depart his lands. Father says there will never be a leader of his like in this world ever again. That the strangers for all their vast power were struck mute by his benign presence and did give ground before him. Father says that the winds fury stole away much of what was said between our mighty leader and those dark forces, but minutes later they took flight as Cairne held the field and did not yield it until they were at last gone from Mulgore’s skies.

My father’s eyes to this day fill with gushing pride knowing that Cairne would defend even our lowly tribe from such threats. I myself marvel at him. He seems such a plain and humble being, yet I know he would gladly give his life for any of his people. Surely we have the greatest leader in all the world, but my father is hewn from the same stuff. My sister as well has never failed to be there for me. My step sister is the bravest woman I know.

As I feel the blood running down my arm I can think of no one else, but her. She would not yield to such petty thing’s as this and nor will I. I struggle back to my feet daring my enemies to step forward. My bow is broken, but my staff is unbent. “ Come! I swear by the Earth Mother you will join me on my journey to her! I am Roonorra Grimhoof! Daughter of Grallorn Grimhoof and I will not go quietly from this world..! "
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nevar »

Ooooo this is nice!

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 3 :

My head swims from the terrible blows and blood loss, but I will not give in to it. My hand tightens on my staff as I look each of my attackers in the eye. They will pay the ultimate price for what has happened here this day. Not for myself, but for my father lying not three steps behind me!

I want to go to him. Hold him, but the enemy refuses to allow me that quarter so I will make them pay. My eyes want to turn, to see if he still breaths, but again I must hold the line now that he has fallen. Their wicked smiles sicken me and I will wipe them off if it is the last thing I ever do.

I can plainly see they are Blood Elves. They say that is what I am, but they do not know me. They do not know the Tauren lying behind me is my father, but they will quickly learn their error. I may look like them on the outside, but inside I am Tauren and always will be. “ You will suffer for felling my father in this cowardly attack! “

Their faces seem to contort with barely masked disgust, but again they don’t know me. The smirks on their vile faces soon return and they only incense me further. The world begins spinning more violently as my right hand becomes slick with my own blood, but I focus on staying conscious. I don’t know why they attacked us, but I will not abandon my father. Father!? A part of me cries out to see to him. I cannot hear his ever present heartbeat behind me and fear wells up inside my chest making it impossible to breath. Thoughts race through my mind and once more I can hear his deep voice continuing the old story.

Around the fire my father tells how Cairne sighed heavily and returned to our small camp after warning off the strangers. With fondness he remembers Cairne taking him by the shoulder and speaking in hushed tones. That our great chief knew hints of what had taken place in the skies of our home. My father tells how he showed him the child and of his promise to her mother. He said Cairne only smiled and spoke well of my father’s new daughter. Cairne stayed with our tiny tribe that night while his warriors stood watch around our camp. Father never speaks of what they spoke of only that our leader supported his oath and the matter was closed.

I grew up in the Grimhoof tribe and was taught the Tauren way along with my step sister. Our grandmother was a tough taskmaster, but always loving. She told us of the Earth Mother and how the spirits lived around us. As for my father, he never hid the facts of my birth into the tribe from me and I never questioned him. I was his daughter and never treated any differently. As a small girl I would play on my father’s massive horns always asking when I would get my own. His laughter would thunder across our camp every time I asked. I realized I was different from everyone else, but that never mattered. My tribe loved me and I loved them.

The fog inside my head refuses to go away and it’s hard to focus on the six Blood Elves closing in around me. I can smell the evil drifting off of them in waves. It’s insidious stench assaults my sense of smell. It is a harsh contrast to the fresh air of my homeland and I almost gag. Why do these foul men attack us? They move ever closer and I raise my staff with my good left hand trying to keep them at bay, but my strength wanes. If only I had brought Nyya with me. She would tear these vile creatures apart, but I left my faithful Tigress at home sadly. I tamed her so long ago when my trials ended and I became a Hunter of the tribe. I mourn not being able to see my Nyya again before the end. I grip my staff tight as the shadows move in. I know all is lost. A fury fills my heart and I release it at the tormentors around me. “ Father I will soon be with you..!!! “
Last edited by Roonok on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nevar »

This is really very impressive and touching at the same time and I really do love it :)

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yup. Is awesome.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 4 :

As my world tumbles out of control and evil closes in around me I am truly alone for the first time in my life. A terrible despair slowly begins to gnaw at my soul and I falter. My strength is fading and I begin my prayer to the Earth Mother. As I quiet my mind it is then that I hear it. Faint, but steady. I no longer hear the sliding footfalls from the six Blood Elves and suddenly I recognize the other sound. “ Father??? “

Towering behind me, a wall of muscle and will power. In one quick glance behind me I see him rise to his full height. His gray, blue fur is marred with his own blood, yet he shows no hint of weakness. A terrible rage dances in his blue eyes and I know instantly this fight will be to the death. He pushes passed me faster than he should be able to move becoming a living barrier between the enemy and me. Emotions erupt within me seeing him alive, but fear still burns in my mind that even he will not be able to withstand these sinister beings. “ Father!!! “

” Run my child! The Crossroads are not far to the North! “ I hear my father’s words echo in my head, but for the first time in my life I cannot obey him. I can see the horrible wounds he bears from the earlier ambush. I do not know how he even stands. I watch him unable to move, frozen in place. Although old his great arms swing around sending a Blood Elf hurtling through the air to land yards away. I again hear his pleas. “ Please daughter flee this place! “ Another Blood Elf sends arcane energies that encircle my father, but with sheer determination he breaks the magical bonds and lifts the offender bodily from the ground. The Blood Elf’s eyes blaze with building power, but my father’s voice rises above the crackle of raw energy. “ Roonorra ! RUN!!! “

I stumble finally pulling free of my stupor. My legs heed my father’s demands, but I begin to cry knowing in my heart he cannot withstand these deadly assassins. As my throat tightens with coming grief I hear my father’s horn sound. It was passed down from his father and his father’s father. It is used to summon the tribes during our annual gatherings and times of dire emergencies, but we are far into the Barrens and no one will ever hear it’s plaintiff song.

My legs stop moving on their own accord as the horns echos reverberate from the distant mountains. I turn to see my Father alight with an eerie glow. His arms are before him as if to shield him from the awful power that now assails him. Nothing on Mulgore’s plains have prepared him for this, yet he somehow remains standing. None of that is why my legs stopped working. No... A strange presence is calling to me. One that is familiar, but lost in the dim past. Suddenly the world seems to stop. The air becomes still and quiet. There’s no sounds, no movement. Even the dust from the road appears to hang suspended in flight. I can see my father’s face. Dogged determination fills every part of it and my heart aches. It is at that exact moment I sense her.

A blinding light explodes silently beside my father sending the remaining four attackers flying backward. For a long moment I cannot see, but soon my eyes adjust and I can make out the glimmering figure standing beside my father’s frame. I begin to run back to him trying to understand what was now happening. It is dawning upon me that this was no ordinary attack. As I reach my father I can now see the figure beside him in greater detail. To my horror it is a female demon. From behind I can see her horns and bat like wings trembling with some terrible fury, but something long buried inside me begs for attention yet my father needs me now!

The four remaining Blood Elves are rising once more, but they seem dazed by this new comer. My father does not seem concerned with her and I struggle to comprehend what is taking place around me. As the nearest attacker takes a step forward the demon woman’s wings open as if to shield all those behind her. In the blink of an eye a whip crosses the gap between the demon and her target. It encircles the recovered Blood Elf’s neck just as it begins to glow with a savage intensity. Then I hear a ghostly voice burst to life and I fall to my knees with it’s words still ringing in my ears. “ Leave my daughter alone! “ My mind reels. My lower lip trembles and I fight for my sanity in this world gone suddenly mad, but I hear my cracking voice ask... “ Mother??? “
Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 5 :

I sit in the dust of the Barrens road. My world has turned upside down in only minutes. My father and I were ambushed and I thought him dead. The attackers are not bandits, but something far worse and mere seconds ago a demon appeared. A demon that claims to be my mother... How can this be? I fear my mind cannot bear anymore. Even though I physically reel from the sight of her a part of me knows that this thing truly is my mother.

My father coughs violently and I see the dark blood drip down onto his broad chest. Assassins or no I cannot remain still any longer. I go to my father trying my best to support his massive frame. He hazards a look down at me. The ever present smile he gives only me dances at the corners of his mouth as he pushes me behind him. I clutch the gray, white hair of his thick mane trying weakly to hold him back. I grew up on the plains of Mulgore. It’s a harsh living, but worth every hardship. It is from my experiences there in those beautiful wild lands that I now know my father’s fate. I can sense his faltering strength, he should have been dead from the first attack, but he is my father. I know his will alone is what is keeping him upright and again I pull his mane attempting to stall his departure from me. “ Father please... “ My eyes squeeze tightly shut as I feel his huge hand rub my head gently making my ears wave back and forth. I suddenly feel like I am five years old again. I want my father to stay with me, but then he is gone...

I open my eyes and the world has slowed down. I can see my father’s fury unleashed on these would be assassins. Mortally wounded and quickly dying he wades amongst them like a force of nature. This is a father protecting his child with no remorse for the enemy. His blows rain down upon the Blood Elf’s mercilessly. His wrath will not be halted by the magic’s wielded by such as these. They try in vain to subdue his vengeance, but he bellows and stomps the ground so hard I feel it tremble beneath me. I should be proud of such a display, the warriors of the bluff would be humbled, but I can only weep for my father...

On the left my demon mother fights the one remaining there. Magic lances back and forth between the two like a thunderstorm come to earth. I see the flashes even with my eyes closed. After several long minutes the Blood Elf she fought drops to the ground smoking and lifeless. I see her spin around ready for the next only to find the rest still and silent. My father’s retribution has been swift and complete. He relaxes his powerful hand releasing the last assassin. The dead Blood Elf drops to the dusty ground no longer a threat. He turns back to face me wearing that old smile and drops to his knees. I can see the iron resolve slowly fading from his eyes.

I suddenly find myself beside him as he tips backward onto the ground. I cradle his head in my lap and brush the thick hair away from his eyes. “ Father I... I... “ His smile returns and I can no longer speak. His large hand takes hold of mine. Even though he cannot speak I sense he is trying to comfort me even now. A shadow crosses over my father and the demon kneels down opposite me. She no longer wears the anger on her face. It has softened into forlorn grief as she gently takes my father’s other hand with her own. The fire in her eyes dims as she peers into my father’s. Her words are barely above a whisper, but I hear them.

“ Noble Grallorn. My debt to you is one that can never be repaid. No words could ever express my gratitude for your sacrifice this day or your oath so long ago. “ A green tear runs down her check. “ It was your call that broke the spell holding me enthralled and now I am free from my curse. “ Her head falls to her chest. “ The world is lessened by your passing. “

I watch her gently place my father’s hand upon his chest, but I can not let him go. The corners of his eyes wrinkle as he smiles once more at me and squeezes my hand. Drawing forth some hidden reserve of strength I hear his weak voice. “ I love my daughters. Do not grieve for me, soon I will walk with the Earth Mother. “ His great chest convulses as he fights back deaths icy embrace one last time. “ You are part of the Grimhoof tribe my child. Always remember that and be brave my dear Roonorra... “

I want my father to stay with me, but for the second time this terrible day, I have to let him go...
Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 6 :

I do not know how long I held my father’s lifeless hand, but sometime later the sound of Wyverns pulled me back to reality. I closed my father’s eyes and looked up to see a dozen figures descending from the sky. I no longer cared who or what they were. My grief now consumed me.

The dust from their landing blew around me, but I paid it no heed and could not tear my gaze from my father. It wasn’t until I felt a powerful hand softly touch my shoulder minutes later that I found the strength to look up. Standing above me mirroring my own woe was Cairne Bloodhoof. His gentle voice urged me to stand. Not thinking I found myself burying my face into his chest. The tears would not stop.

Cairne’s body guard moved towards me, but the Tauren leader held up a restraining hand. His massive arms encircled my slight frame as his voice again comforted my sundered soul. “ I know your grief child for I have tasted it many times. I to mourn the passing of my kin as keenly as I would a brother for he was as close to me. “ His great chest heaved a long sigh and I knew he truly meant every word. " I heard your father's call, but see I was too late this time... " Again the great leader sighed in profound sadness.

A shaman stepped passed us inspecting the battle field now sown with my father’s blood. Urgency filled his voice. “ High chief! Dark energies still lay upon the field! You should make haste away! “

Cairne’s sharp eyes scanned the area and came to rest upon my father. Don’t ask me how he knew, but he did. His booming voice was directed at nothing visible. “ Do not fear me Annorra. I have no quarrel with you. Come forth. I would speak with you. “

From the ether my mother appeared. The shaman spat out a curse and stumbled backward, but Cairne never flinched. His powerful voice dropped to a calming tone. “ There is no need for timidness Annorra. I will not see you mistreated in my presence. “ Cairne’s keen eyes peered at the frightened shaman standing just behind him. “ If she is grounded you will answer to me. “ The shaman seemed to want to say something, but held his tongue.

I watched my demon mother bow before Cairne Bloodhoof. Her voice quaked with restrained fear. “ I thank you great leader of the Tauren for allowing me to speak. I do not wish to offend you with my unnatural presence. I am only here to defend my daughter. Please accept my humble apology. “

Cairne chuckled under his breath and suddenly grasp my mother in his right arm. The shaman standing behind the Tauren chief almost swallowed his tongue. A sly mirth seemed to slip into his ancient voice. “ I am a simple Tauren Annorra and I know of how you came to be as you are. Your outward appearance matters not to me. I sense the spirit within those demonic wrappings and rejoice at it’s return. “

For a long moment no one uttered a sound as the leader of the Tauren people embraced a demon and a Blood Elf in the middle of the Barrens. Far to quickly Cairne’s good humor evaporated and an air of seriousness again took hold. He softly patted my back and moved towards my father. Somehow when he walked away he left my mother holding my hand.
Last edited by Roonok on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 7 :

I stood there. Watching Cairne Bloodhoof saying a silent prayer over my father’s body. Why the Tauren leader showed my father such care was unknown to me, yet I appreciated it beyond words. I wanted to take my father home to the tribe for the proper rituals and hoped Cairne would assist in such matters.

As I watched I could feel my mother’s hand tightly holding my own. I told myself to push it away, but found myself not letting go. How could this demon be my mother? Why would Cairne Bloodhoof embrace her like a friend? How did he know her name? It all went against what I was taught as a child and could not fathom what to do, but if Cairne accepted her perhaps I could try to do as much. Could I?

I watched an old warrior walk slowly up beside Cairne. The warriors armor was worn, but still in good shape. He spoke to the Tauren leader in hushed tones, but my sensitive ears had no trouble hearing them. “ Great chief I will take responsibility for Grallorn until we reach his tribe. “

The great chief waved the old warrior away. “ No. That will not be necessary. I will bear him from the field. “ Cairne placed his hand over my father’s. “ I owe him far more. Far more... “ He lifted my father into his arms and walked back toward the waiting Wyvern. He paused beside of me. “ You will accompany us back to Thunderbluff where your father will await your tribe. The Bloodhoof and Grimhoof will mourn together this day. “

I turned and followed my father and my chief to the restless Wyvern nearby. I could see they had thought to bring a spare flyer. So caught up in everything that had happened, I forgot that I still held my mother’s hand. She had followed along behind me. I turned to send her away and found myself staring into her anguished face. Suddenly I no longer had the heart or strength for anger just now and simply nodded for her to join me on the Wyvern.

The beast that was to be our mount was unnerved by my mother’s demonic presence, but soon quieted under my gentle soothing. The same could not be said for Cairne’s shaman. As I watched Cairne secure my father’s body onto his own Wyvern the shaman could hold his tongue no longer. “ High chief I must protest! This! This thing cannot be allowed into Mulgore! “

Cairne finished his solemn task and fixed the shaman with a withering glare. His voice was a whisper, but carried such force it was easily heard by all. “ You are a fine Shaman, but far to young to make such demands. “ The look that Cairne directed towards the wayward shaman would have made mountains tremble. “ In this matter you will heed my wishes. If you question me on this again you will find yourself my new ambassador to the Undercity. “ Cairne waited for any objections, but none were forthcoming and he climbed upon his Wyvern. “ To Thunderbluff! “

Our party slowly rose skyward and I felt my mother struggle to keep her balance. Funny that a demon with wings would feel uncomfortable in the sky, but as I glanced back I could plainly see her disquiet. After a moment I reached back taking her arms wrapping them around my waist. “ Just relax. Wyverns are perfectly safe. “ She nodded, but I could see the fear in her glowing eyes. To my left I heard a soft chuckle and turned to see the old warrior smiling at my mother’s discomfort.

I quickly forgot about him as we passed over Camp Taurajo. Just ahead I could make out my home. Grass fields stretched out as far as the eye could see and off in the distance loomed the great plateau itself. Rising from an ocean of green stood Thunderbluff..!
Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 8 :

I am Roonorra Grimhoof daughter of Grallorn Grimhoof. I am a Blood Elf raised as Tauren. Today my father and I were attacked by assassins. My father now lies forever at rest atop Thunderbluff awaiting my tribes arrival, but still there is more I must tell you. In my hour of greatest woe yet another trial was thrust upon me. My dead mother returned to me this day, but in the form of a demonic Succubus.

My ideology says I should not trust the words or deeds of demons yet my chief, by example, accepts this creature as he would any old friend. I am torn. I thought my mother dead long before I could remember, now I am faced with a reality where she confronts me as a demon. Surely I have displeased the Earth Mother in some way for such a thing to happen.

I have strived long and hard to be a good Tauren. I always preformed my tasks with great care just as my grandmother taught me. I trained hard under my father’s instruction becoming a Hunter of our tribe at the age of ten. A year later I faced the trial of the wilderness taming my Tigress, Nyya. Now at age twenty I am considered an adult and full member of my tribe. No one can take those thing’s from me and I am proud to call myself Grimhoof.

How then can I embrace a mother that is now a demon? I find myself wanting to ask her questions. I have so many I scarcely know where to even begin, but I hesitate. Do I truly want to know the answers? I sit here struggling with myself only making thing’s more complicated.

I get up determined to clear my aching head. One of the last thing’s my father asked of me, was to be brave and that’s exactly what I am trying to do. I am not crying my eyes out although I feel like doing nothing else. I wear my stoic mask whenever someone walks up offering words of comfort to me. Today I allowed fear to weaken me when my father needed me the most. I will never allow such a thing to happen ever again.

I suddenly find myself standing within sight of our great chiefs lodge and pause. The guards standing to each side of the main entrance watch me, but show no sign of acknowledgment. It’s then I see Cairne sitting peacefully on the wooden steps that lead into the large dwelling. He’s looking directly at me and I immediately feel foolish for being so weak, but just as I decide to turn around his hand motions for me to come closer.

I walk up in front of him and he smiles indicating for me to sit down beside him on the steps. From nowhere he produces a loaf of fresh bread and pulls it in half passing one part to me. He speaks softly, yet his voice is so deep I feel it’s vibrations in the air around us. “ What troubles you daughter of the Grimhoof? “
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

You seem to be on a writing spree...

Are you insane?

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Aye,

Just a bit bored. I write, a lot... Nothing worth reading, but figured I'd throw it out there for kicks. I draw, paint, write, pretty much all the time. Most ends up collecting dust in my closet.

If it's to much just let me know. Don't want to rock the boat, so to speak... Just tired of WoW today, so I was writing. When I do, I tend to just go on and on till the story runs out in my head...
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Nonono! Keep writing! I love it, great story.

Looking forward to the rest. Besides, the forum is pretty big. I don't think it'll run out of space.

Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 9 :

I sit talking with Cairne Bloodhoof. Leader of all the Tauren people. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought such a thing possible, yet here we sit quietly chatting away while eating warm bread. He is such a mild mannered and down to earth being I sometimes forget just who it is I am speak too. How could this be the same Tauren that fought so many horrific battles in the past?

I look at him closely. His features clearly show his age. His horns are worn. His thick fur hide has more gray and white than anything else, yet I sense a formidable presence that stirs just beneath this plain facade. His face is wrinkled, but his eyes are sharp and alight with emotion when I make him laugh. Yes... The longer I sit with him the more I can see it. His spirit is as strong as it ever was and woe to anyone daring to test it. How a leader could endure what he has and still remain so attuned to the world around him speaks volumes about that indomitable spirit residing within him. I could sit here for years and not learn half of what he has to teach.

As we laugh about a past misadventure he suddenly stops and looks to his left. Those keen eyes narrow gazing just in front of where I sit beside him. He orders his guards to take a break. They protest weakly, but then march off to the nearest food merchants. As they finally disappear from sight his voice drops to a whisper. “ Alright Annorra. I know you are here. Please do not hide on my bluff. “

My mother again seems to melt right out of thin air into existence in front of me. Her glowing eyes dart back and forth searching for some unseen enemy, but Cairne draws her attention back to him. “ I promise you Annorra I will not allow anyone here to harm you. “

I watch my mother at last seem to settle down, but a loud noise from across the bluff makes her tense once more. Cairne clears his throat getting her attention and points to an empty spot directly beside him. My mother nods weaving between Cairne and myself bending down almost hiding behind the big Tauren. “ I am sorry great chief, but I do know how your people feel about demons. Although my soul is no longer under the thrall spell my body remains unchanged. “

Cairne chuckles mildly watching a cloud drift lazily overhead. “ Dear Annorra. Pay no heed to such thing’s. I myself follow the teachings of the Earth Mother, but not blindly. I’m far to old for such nonsense. A person must always see thing’s for themselves and not simply condemn out of hand.” He looks up as an eagle soars high above calling for it’s mate. “ I think even the Earth Mother has room in her heart for former demons. “

He rises from the steps and I clearly hear several of his joints pop loudly. Yet as he turns back towards my mother, his lopsided grin has returned. “ My guards have their orders concerning you. I have said you may walk freely here and it will be so. I dislike shadows wandering my bluff. “ Cairne reaches passed my mother pulling a tall staff from inside the great lodge. “ Now I feel the need for a stroll. You two sit here and catch up. “ He takes three massive strides, but stops. His deep voice comes to life again, but this time he doesn’t turn to look at us. Instead he seems to see something far away. “ A storm is coming. “
Last edited by Roonok on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nevar »

I really like this...keep it up its very good!

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Greener Pastures

Part 10 :

I sit now beside my mother. So many questions boil beneath the surface I do not know where to even begin. Thankfully she speaks allowing me a respite from the turmoil in my mind. “ Cairne is truly a marvel. I can see why my father respected him so and sent me to seek his aid. “ She looks over at me and hesitates. “ I know my appearance is frightening to you, but I would never do anything to ever bring harm to you or your family. “ Her voice begins to crack. “ I may look like a demon, but my soul is my own once more. “ The strange green tears race down her flawless checks.

I smile despite myself at her statement. “ Yes he is. “ My hand seems to have a mind of it’s own reaching out to take hers. I feel her take hold of it as if it might be an anchor to this world. I finally find my voice once more. “ Cairne says that you can’t see demons on the outside. He says you have to look inside to find the real demons. “ Her hand clenches mine tight and I can feel her arm begin to tremble. “ Cairne says he’s looked inside of you and there’s no demon there. “ I finally turn around to face her. For a long moment we look at one another and then fall into each others arms. Her head pushes into my shoulder as her sobs worsen. Her leathery wings wrap around me tightly, but I don’t mind anymore. This is my mother.

As time passes we start to talk again. I find out a great many thing’s from her past. She had been trying to flee from her husband ,my father, all those years ago. He had once been a powerful mage, but over time became corrupt. Her father had contacted Cairne for help and he had promised my mother safe haven. Everything had gone horribly wrong then. She had gone into labor with me and then her husband had discovered the plot shortly there after ,and cast a terrible spell over my mother binding her soul with a demons so even death would not allow her an escape. One of my mother’s servants helped her break free anyway and she fled to Mulgore, but her husbands minions followed her. My grandfather sent his own agents to protect her, but they were not strong enough. My mother died on the plains of Mulgore that night and awoke inside the demon to be tortured and enslaved. Somehow when my father sounded the horn in distress it shattered the spell keeping her enthralled to that beast.

My father. My father will always be Grallorn Grimhoof. Not the demon that sired me. I will never call him anything, but monster... I could never have dared dream for a better father than the one fate gave me. Truly the Earth Mother had been watching over me that night.

As my mother and I sat talking away the hours the guards came forward. I immediately recognized the Tauren walking between them. It was Brackkon. A young warrior from my tribe. He rushed up to me wary of my mothers appearance. “ Roonorra! We only had the one Wyvern so I came since I’m the fastest flyer! “ I calmed him down trying to get exactly what was going on from his rolling babble. He took a breath and continued. “ It’s Nyya! She tore out of our camp earlier! No one could stop her! “ He drew in a another deep breath. “ I saw here as I flew here! She heading for Thunderbluff! “ He coughed loudly. “ The tribe won’t be here until tomorrow morning, so you need to catch her! “

As I tried to settle poor Brackkon down a loud commotion suddenly caught all of our attention. It was my mother’s keen sight that alerted us to what was happening. “ Would Nyya be a very agitated Tiger? About three hundred pounds and making a bee line this way? “

I could now see merchants gathering their wares to their chests as Nyya burst through the crowd on the bluff. As my mother had said, she was coming straight for me. All three hundred pounds running headlong and not worrying about being polite. As her green eyes found mine she seemed to explode into full speed and even the guards fell back as she thundered into me. She knocked the wind out of me sending me hurtling backwards into the grass. Before I can even catch my breath she is on top of me. Her warm tongue plastering my face with a hail of slobber.
Last edited by Roonok on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roonok
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Roonok »

Well,

You all realize, this is as rough as it gets... I usually polish these thing's up a lot before I let people read them, but ehhh. I'm in a writing mood and not so much polishing at the moment, so apologizes all round for the rough nature of the story and it's little hiccups...