(deleted)

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Re: Focus Regen/Maintaining Focus as a BM Hunter?

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Wowpedia has a nice little tidbit about focus and the different ways we hunters can regenerate it on our own (so excluding haste):
http://www.wowpedia.org/Focus

Also, Jess, Invigoration was the talent I was referring to, not Focus Fire as FF gives us ranged haste (which is great for CS).

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

im guessing your character is Jezpalimu? your mastery looks high, and your haste is pretty low. for all three specs its pretty much crit > haste > mastery. it doesnt look like you raid, so you only need 7% hit (840-841 hit rating) for 5man dungeons. give wowreforge.com a try, i use it every time i get a new piece of gear.

the passive focus regen of haste is minimal, where it impacts focus regen is how fast you can cast your cobra/steady shots. i use target dummies to test out my "shot rotations". SV and BM have less of a rotation than MM does, and are more priority based. SV and BM's signature abilities both have a 6 sec cd. Both focus dump with arcane shot, and regen focus with cobra shot. SV has Black Arrow to worry about, BM has Focus Fire procs.

reforge some of your mastery to haste, goto a target dummy and practice your "rotation" reforge some more mastery to haste, test some more, etc. you said your cobra shots are around 1.7-1.8s in your first post, i would definitely recommend getting it back down to around 1.5-1.6s. you should notice a difference. also looking at your spec, i would recommend taking the 2 pts out of imp mend pet and putting them into pathing.

you also mentioned using multi shot a lot. the only way to effectively use multi shot would be MSx2 CSx2 MS CSx2, same with SV. with MM you get bombardment, which allows you to go MSx4 SS MS SS MS. generally when soloing, using two AS, a KC, and an auto shot or two would be enough to kill a lvl 85 mob.

for 5mans and raids, i have a focus macro and an assist focus macro. at the start of the dungeon, i focus the tank. i also have a md focus macro. its usually best to single target each mob down. i click my assist macro as the tank pulls, md multi shot till oof, then single target dps the initial mob. then move to next mob.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Actually the hit cap is 8%, not 7%. That goes for ALL DPS classes. Dungeons and Raiding.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Jessibelle wrote:Actually the hit cap is 8%, not 7%. That goes for ALL DPS classes. Dungeons and Raiding.
Actually the hit cap for 5 mans is not the same as raiding. ;) Raiding hit cap is 8% because you're fighting level 88 mobs; the highest boss mob you'll likely fight in a 5 man is ~86 and therefore your hit rating does not need to be as high. And this information is shown in game when you hover over your hit rating.

Also: I personally like to use http://askmrrobot.com for my gearing and reforging needs (just a personal preference as I haven't tried wowreforge.com) in combination with femaledwarf.com to get my appropriate stat weightings and simulate my DPS for my gear.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:Actually the hit cap is 8%, not 7%. That goes for ALL DPS classes. Dungeons and Raiding.
Actually the hit cap for 5 mans is not the same as raiding. ;) Raiding hit cap is 8% because you're fighting level 88 mobs; the highest boss mob you'll likely fight in a 5 man is ~86 and therefore your hit rating does not need to be as high. And this information is shown in game when you hover over your hit rating.

Also: I personally like to use http://askmrrobot.com for my gearing and reforging needs (just a personal preference as I haven't tried wowreforge.com) in combination with femaledwarf.com to get my appropriate stat weightings and simulate my DPS for my gear.
That's not what I get told in 5 mans at all. :(

If you're under 8%, I've seen people get scolded, made fun of, and ultimately kicked.

So yeah...8% is the safer number.

LisaaraPokefarm

Poesje
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill

Unread post by Poesje »

Jessibelle wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:

That's not what I get told in 5 mans at all. :(

If you're under 8%, I've seen people get scolded, made fun of, and ultimately kicked.

So yeah...8% is the safer number.
Then youre believing false information. Look things up yourself, the features to do so are QUITE easy to use. Hit cap for five man content is lower than it it for raids, it's as simple as that. In a five man heroic you don't need 8%, you only need that for raids.
"O, si vile, si ergo, fortibus es inero! O nobile, demis trux. Vadis indem? Causem dux."
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Just because someone tells you something in a 5 man doesn't make it true. :roll: 8% is the cap you need for raids and is why guides tell you to get to that cap.

In PvP you only need 5% hit cap. Why? Not because "lol it's PvP it's different" but because you're going against other players that are also level 85 and 5% is all it takes not to miss them.

So taking off one piece of hit gear for the purpose of this shows on my hunter that, at 6% hit, I have a 0% chance to miss all targets up to level 87, and a 1% chance to miss level 88 targets. Even though dungeon bosses show as skulls, they're only 2 levels above player levels and not 3 like raid bosses. So if you never plan on progressing past heroics, you actually only need 6%.

And btw, my warlock raided actively at 15% and I still kicked butt on the meter and hardly ever missed. ;) Being under the hit cap in a dungeon won't kill you, and if people harrass you about it, they're pathetic and need to find better ways to spend their time.

[/center]
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah people have made me super paranoid. I don't raid often but I have sometimes(I kick ass on my druid and hunter).

I always consider PvP a different playing field, granted.

LisaaraPokefarm

Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

Tyger is correct, i had to log in and check my character stats, it is 6% (721 hit rating) for 5mans lvl 87 boss.

from wowpedia: 120.109 hit rating = 1% hit
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Hey, could I suggest - if you're not great at timing your cooldowns - perhaps you could macro, say, your Beastial Wrath and Kill Command button together? It's not ideal, but it's considerably better to cast a cooldown more often (and in less optimal times) than less often. You'd also have to put up with the "it's not ready yet!" protestations from your character, but it could be a really great way to improve your damage output. Same said for any on-use trinkets or whatnot.

Everyone else covered everything I was thinking (reforge your mastery to get your cobra shots back down to 1.6 seconds). The only other thing I could really suggest is to get a UI modifier such as Dominoes which allows you to display all the bars on your screen and resize them. That way you could do what I do, which is place two actionbars in the bottom middle of your screen, and use them thus:

1 cobra shot, 2 arcane, 3 kill command, 4 hunter's mark, 5 serpent sting, 6 kill shot, 7 multi shot, 8 beastial wrath, 9 focus fire

(or something similar that suits you, I'm sure you get the gist!)
That way my general "rotation" is 45322111 and I can manually click the other cooldowns as required. The other useful utilities, such as Rapid Fire, Camo, Deterrence, Disengage etc are spread out on the other bar (which is just on top of the main action castbar) so you only have to focus on a small section of your screen.

Just my two cents, in case you aren't doing something similar already. :D

Zaphoed
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Trollbane

Unread post by Zaphoed »

askmrrobot it optimized my gear very differently from what i was doing and i gained about 3k dps. I was reforging everything to crit although it had me change priorities a tad bit with some more haste.
Aotona - Trillian : Uhk'loc - Zarnywoop : Arcturis - Bandit / Loque'nahak - Ipos / Skoll - Raiju / Karoma - IkiUrufu / Ghostcrawler - Ocypode / Ghondria - Naberius : King Krush - Verin : Sambas - Valafar / Ashtail - Kitsune / Nuramoc - Euynome