The tough choice.

Macha
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

The tough choice.

Unread post by Macha »

I haven't been posting here as much as I'd like, but perhaps my fellow Petopians remember when my elderly dachshund wandered away from home because she was too blind and old to remember her surroundings properly.

After weighing in our opinions, Mom and I decided to have her euthanized. Her health and sense of awareness had been plummeting after her little adventure, and after every meal she was making horrible coughing sounds. She couldn't go a few inches without bumping into something and sometimes, she'd just stand, confused as to where she was.

She is my Mom's dog and I'll admit it, Pickles hadn't been to the vet in near 6 years. Even if we did know what was wrong with her, Mom wouldn't be able to afford correction procedures, if there were any to be had.

We had Pickles for 15 years and she was a real member of the family. She taught me so much about having a pet, and in turn, is shaping the way I raise and take care of my dachshund, Moxie (who is still a puppy).

Thank you for everything, Pickles. You were a blessing to my family. You will be missed most dearly. I only hope that, wherever you are, you have regained your youth and watch over your family now without suffering.

Thanks to Serenith for the awesome avatar and signature! Team Kirix all the way!
Calixte
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight

Re: The tough choice.

Unread post by Calixte »

My heart goes out to you and your mom during this rough time.

My family finally made the decision to let our very first dog go this summer, after a quick and aggressive bone cancer diagnosis. We could not afford the chemo, but beyond that he would have been so unhappy, being dragged back and forth to the vet's office every month. Sometimes, even forgetting finances for a minute, it's just too hard on the elderly pets to justify trying to continue their lives.

You made the right choice for Pickles, however sad it may be at the moment. I'm sure she is thrilled to have her youth and eyesight back and she'll always be watching over you. She and my Jack can frolic together. :)

:hug: for you. Think of the fondest memories and the best lessons. Our little pets can teach us so much and I'm so grateful we have had the chance to experience that.

Lovely sig and avatar by the talented Kuraine!

Macha
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Macha »

Thank you very much for your kind words, Calixte.

Today, the vet office sent us a card which had Pickles' paw print on it with words of encouragement and soothing. I broke down into tears when I opened the envelope, though mostly knowing that my dog was even cared for in her last moments by the vets.

We've since framed the card and put it on the mantle. I wanted to get Pickles cremated, but it was too costly for us to do. So now the card with her last paw print is atop our mantle, next to my graduation picture. It's soothing, in a way.

Thanks to Serenith for the awesome avatar and signature! Team Kirix all the way!
Calixte
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight

Unread post by Calixte »

It's great to have that little paw print to help you remember her. It's really rough but I know a lot of us Petopians are real-life pet lovers and have lost our animals. We're all here for you! You are welcome to PM me if you ever need anything. Grief is a weird thing, especially with pets. Allow yourself some time every day to be sad if you need to, and think of your fond memories as much as possible to get through it. For me the first week was the worst, and it slowly gets better after that!

Lovely sig and avatar by the talented Kuraine!