Vanity Pets (World of... Pokemon?)

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Vanity Pets (World of... Pokemon?)

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I think they are trying to ad more flavor to the game, then just questing, leveling, go kill boss in xyz dungeon/raid. Honestly though, you can only do the same dungeon or raid before your sick of it. I don't even do heroics anymore. I'm simply sick of them and how long they take, the fail groups lately don't help things either.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Kalliope wrote:
Moonlost wrote:Don't take it seriously, it's a ludicrous little minigame to help alleviate some of the boredom some players face at max level.
Fixed. And it makes it understandable. :)
Double fixed; casual players aren't the only ones who get bored in WoW, nor do all casuals get bored. I raid, and outside of those few nights I raid, I have to struggle to think of something fun and interesting to do with my friends.
I shouldn't have used the word 'you' though, you're right there.

Point still stands. This is looking to be a fun (if silly) little diversion for those who wish to join in.

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

Mildly irritated at having to find the wild pet, defeat it (or lose and hope no one else wins before I'm ready to roll again). As a vanity pet collector (#165 is inc), I'm not a fan of pets like this (sup Baradin Fox Kit?). If I can't get it myself in a reasonable time frame, I'd rather buy it. Hopefully these are included in the "most pets tradeable" function.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I just like the idea of naming companions. :D I don't know if I'll actually want to do the combat part. We'll see.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

peanutbuttercup wrote:I just like the idea of naming companions. :D
Where am I going to find 180+ names? Mania, maybe we ought to keep the Name that Pet sub-forum for now! :)
Kerafirewing
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune (Used to be Uldaman)
Location: Grooming my pets by the stable master in the Tauren District.

Unread post by Kerafirewing »

Hmmmm....Not sure what to make of this yet. I'm a pokemon fan for sure but don't like the idea in my WoW. Vanity pets are just for looks and collecting. They do not level or do anything other than look cute. And the thought of them being "traded" like this stupid new guardian cub just makes me sick. Definitely something I will not be taking part in. If I want to play pokemon, I'll turn on my 3ds and play White.
My precious guardians
Other hunters: Tobias, Roxie, Kynsia, Jaystus, Kegtapper, Noriana, Cleo, Lakota, Romulus, Roxie, Solari, Sahkura, Syren, Ladywolf
FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

Wonder if Mountain Dew will start making the Battlebot fuel again? I'm all out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Zuilu

Unread post by Zuilu »

I..don't like it. Maybe it'll surprise me and be fun, but right now this is the one thing I absolutely hate about the x-pac. It just seems so..silly, and not in a good way. Collecting is one thing, but making your mini pets..battle?

20 bucks says the "wild minipets" are catchable with warcraft-pokeballs.
Ikutai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Ikutai »

Moonlost wrote:The more I think about it, the more I am both baffled and awestuck with this idea.
It is completely and utterly stupid and ridiculous. Which is why it's awesome. Don't take it seriously, it's a ludicrous little minigame to help alleviate some of the boredom you face at max level. I know that I am going to be turning off my brain and running around with a huge derpy look on my face as I go out and battle my Pocket Minipets ((Or Pokémin for short ;) )). And so long as it's a well crafted system, I'm going to have tons of fun doing it. Because that's what I play games for; to have fun and sometimes having fun means beating up a baby dragons with a balloon.
Oh Light, please allow me to use my balloon in these things...

Anyway, even if you're not into the minipet battling thing, minipets are still looking to be made account wide. That's still an awesome addition. (And I hope they do the same with mounts too.) And you'll be able to name them too. Also an awesome addition.
Best quote ever! Also, I will gladly pit my beloved Archimedes the Rabbot against your Balloon! xD

"The days are short, and are too soon over. The nights, for good or bad, can seem endless." - Neil Gaiman

Signature by the illustrious Saturo

"Steps 3 through 47: Profit!" - Steampunk of Nesingwary

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Heray, something to do other than Peggle and Bejeweled while waiting for a que pop. :mrgreen:

Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

You and your friends can pit your pets against each other in fun, friendly duels.
Why I lurv this statement. Never have I had a fun and friendly duel when playing any game against my friends. Sure they start out fun, but then turn into either howling ragefests or cursefests depending on whose winning or losing.
Harvoc
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank

Unread post by Harvoc »

Yeah, I'm not really liking this idea. It seems as if they're jumping the shark with this. The other features look great (though it overwhelms me when I think of all the options I'll have to get valor points at max level) but this just seems meh.
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

I've played Pokemon since original Red, and I'm really looking forward to the concept of mon collecting and battling being applied to WoW. I already name almost all my mini pets, so just making it official will be icing on the cake for me. I'm so happy my mini pets (or as Moonlost put it, Pokemin -- I love that term!) will be doing something besides sitting besides me and looking pretty.

Besides, it's just a mini game. It's like archeology, or fishing or cooking -- something fun to do in off-times, but not necessary to do on every character. If you personally don't want to take part, then don't. Nobody's forcing you.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I'm with Moonlost. It's ridiculous, even the devs were laughing, but it will be awesome.

Pokemon sells, WoW sells but can be boring later on. A combination will keep people going and having fun in their downtime, and it will sell. It will sell well. You will see people reactivating it, and it will be a huge part of keeping people occupied and subscribed.

Also, WoW players will need a website to catalogue the pets--yes, there'll be an in-game function, but where's the forums to talk about them? Offers to trade, camping info, show-off images and so forth? My strong bet is, Mania willing, Petopia could easily (as an already-established pet site) be at the forefront of the new craze.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Acherontia wrote:Also, WoW players will need a website to catalogue the pets--yes, there'll be an in-game function, but where's the forums to talk about them? Offers to trade, camping info, show-off images and so forth? My strong bet is, Mania willing, Petopia could easily (as an already-established pet site) be at the forefront of the new craze.
Though Petopia would be a fun place, I think the minipet niche of WoW is already very thoroughly covered by WarcraftPets. They seem to be eager to keep up their database for the future changes and continue to provide extensive information on all companion pet related things.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Vephriel wrote:
Acherontia wrote:Also, WoW players will need a website to catalogue the pets--yes, there'll be an in-game function, but where's the forums to talk about them? Offers to trade, camping info, show-off images and so forth? My strong bet is, Mania willing, Petopia could easily (as an already-established pet site) be at the forefront of the new craze.
Though Petopia would be a fun place, I think the minipet niche of WoW is already very thoroughly covered by WarcraftPets. They seem to be eager to keep up their database for the future changes and continue to provide extensive information on all companion pet related things.
Yes, I imagine WarcraftPets will continue to be the go-to info site for mini-pets. However, as WarcraftPets doesn't have a forum, I imagine our slightly dusty Petopia mini-pet subforum will be seeing more action!
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

I know nothing about Pokemon and even though I've been very disappointed with what we know about the expansion so far this part seems fun to me. I just hope they don't use this to gloss over half assed raids and the lack of a centralized conflict theme because "Hey look we can fight our mini pets"! I hope I'm wrong but it seems Blizz is using a bunch of new shiny toys to distract from the lack of actual content in the new teddy bear expansion.
Marintha
Realm: Gorgonnash

Unread post by Marintha »

Definitely calling them PokeMin from now on. That's awesomesauce.

...... Gotta catch 'em all. :P
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

We were joking in my guild today about this, and I linked "my team" which consists of Magic Lamp, Onyxian Whelpling, and Murkablo.
This is a pretty nice idea for a minigame, speaking my guild will get some amusement out of it. Ah well, that's just my opinion.

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

Rubywashere
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Rubywashere »

I actually want to buy a lil' ragnaros just to test this out......
panderan monk is a must see for this <3

I wonder if the feline familiar will be using its broomstick in battle, maybe it can summon mini skeletons of sorts. I dunno it has green glowing eyes and witch hat who knows what it could do