Question on pet taming etiquette

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Livio
Realm: Hyjal

Re: Question on pet taming etiquette

Unread post by Livio »

[quote="neosmies"]Yes, very pissed off hunter here. I managed to protect her for over two hours,
my friend was just behind the corner to finally arrive ( she definitely was not on a raid,
or anything silly of that sort. )

Well, if she wasn't in a raid, or anything "silly" of that sort, what was so important that it took her such an ungodly amount of time to reach this pet which was un-apparently so sought after? I'm sorry, but I've also held pets for people, but only against non-hunters roaming by who think phat lootz are still involved with the silver dragons. If another interested hunter comes by while I am "holding" it, I immediately back off and tell my friend they are sadly out of luck.

And saying that "/care" was uncalled for after being told "f%$# you", in my opinion, isn't the case. Whenever another hunter got the tame off on the rare I was babysitting, I would congratulate them and go about my business. Sucks for the hunter en route, but they didn't invest the time to camp, and/or simply couldn't get there quick enough to make it happen.

My two cents. I am sorry for the losing party involved here, but think it could have been handled more maturely and politely.
neosmies

Unread post by neosmies »

"You didn't explain"

Well I told her I'm waiting for a friend. They didn't ask why.

My friend wasn't on the computer. She couldn't get online due to personal reasons.

And what happened to all the support on the heroic stories where a guild keeps a rare mob for half a day,
killing every player that gets too close? Waiting for their hunter to get online so they can come tame.
I didn't see a single negative comment on those stories.

I admit my reaction was rather strong, but I still stand by it.
Especially when she just rubbed it in my face and acted equally rude.
Quoting her; spirit beasts are too easy to get, and she has not had to camp any of them.
And me camping spirit beasts is stupid and I shouldn't do it.
Sadly not all of us were born under those stars, and have had to camp every one of their pets.

And there was at least three hunters before her, all agreeing that my friend should come tame her.
Britany
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Kargath (US)

Unread post by Britany »

neosmies wrote:"You didn't explain"

My friend wasn't on the computer. She couldn't get online due to personal reasons.

And what happened to all the support on the heroic stories where a guild keeps a rare mob for half a day,
killing every player that gets too close? Waiting for their hunter to get online so they can come tame.

Quoting her; spirit beasts are too easy to get, and she has not had to camp any of them.
Sadly not all of us were born under those stars, and have had to camp every one of their pets.

And there was at least three hunters before her, all agreeing that my friend should come tame her.
I'm going to be honest with you - I understand that you really wanted to help your friend tame Ankha. I'm also very surprised that at least 3 hunters were nice enough to back off and wait for her to log on so she could tame. A friend of mine was actually holding Aeonaxx for me several weeks ago. Aeonaxx is probably the rarest mob in the game. He was waiting and waiting for me to log on, but I was just not going to be able to get to the computer for at least another 5 hours. Nobody was going to say "oh your friend has been camping Aeo for 2 months but she's not online? okay, I'll back off and leave him alone." So, eventually he tagged and killed Aeonaxx.

Now, Ankha isn't nearly as rare as him and Ankha will spawn again this week. Possibly today. If she didn't log on after two hours, you're just going to have to accept that you were given an hour and not everyone's going to be generous and let your friend come and tame him. In fact, a lot of people will interrupt the tame and get the pet for themself, or kill it. Your reaction was uncalled for. Seriously? You hope he gets hit by a bus? The guy who tamed Ankha wasn't terribly nice about it either, if what you're saying is true. I camped for every single one of my spirit beasts as well - I camped Karoma for approximately 36 hours, in three 12 hour sessions. It took me 2 years to get Loque'nahak. I could keep rambling about how long it took to get each of my spirit beasts, but I doubt anyone wants to hear that.

TLDR; Camping sucks and almost everyone is a jerk. You were lucky to cover Ankha for more than 15 minutes. I apologize for being rude, but you need to get over it.
Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

I'm sorry you lost your friends tame but after you decided to stoop to using foul language your lucky all she did was a /care. That language was immature and uncalled for, especially after the 2 hrs of giving you time.

meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

Britany wrote:

I'm going to be honest with you - I understand that you really wanted to help your friend tame Ankha. I'm also very surprised that at least 3 hunters were nice enough to back off and wait for her to log on so she could tame. A friend of mine was actually holding Aeonaxx for me several weeks ago. Aeonaxx is probably the rarest mob in the game. He was waiting and waiting for me to log on, but I was just not going to be able to get to the computer for at least another 5 hours. Nobody was going to say "oh your friend has been camping Aeo for 2 months but she's not online? okay, I'll back off and leave him alone." So, eventually he tagged and killed Aeonaxx.

Now, Ankha isn't nearly as rare as him and Ankha will spawn again this week. Possibly today. If she didn't log on after two hours, you're just going to have to accept that you were given an hour and not everyone's going to be generous and let your friend come and tame him. In fact, a lot of people will interrupt the tame and get the pet for themself, or kill it. Your reaction was uncalled for. Seriously? You hope he gets hit by a bus? The guy who tamed Ankha wasn't terribly nice about it either, if what you're saying is true. I camped for every single one of my spirit beasts as well - I camped Karoma for approximately 36 hours, in three 12 hour sessions. It took me 2 years to get Loque'nahak. I could keep rambling about how long it took to get each of my spirit beasts, but I doubt anyone wants to hear that.

TLDR; Camping sucks and almost everyone is a jerk. You were lucky to cover Ankha for more than 15 minutes. I apologize for being rude, but you need to get over it.
^This, really.

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

Zuilu

Unread post by Zuilu »

neosmies wrote:And what happened to all the support on the heroic stories where a guild keeps a rare mob for half a day,
Can I just ask where you've heard these stories? 'Cause the -vast- majority of people here seem to think that all rares are fair game and that holding rares for people not even in the zone is wrong.

If someone came on here and said that their guild held Deth'tilac for half a day waiting for a single hunter, whilst killing anyone too close, I'm pretty sure it would start a -huge- flame war.
Emophia
Realm: Chromaggus

Unread post by Emophia »

I never said camping was stupid he;s putting words in my mouth.

I did say however I did not need to camp for most of my pets and instead patrolled around all the time, like the time I was doing the northrend spirit beasts I would fly between each spawn point of all the beasts untill I found one, unless it was being camped by someone else. The two I did camp for for days where arcturius (2 days never got her but a nice guildie hunter found her a couple days later and I tamed here asap) and Terropane and which I camped for almost 48 hours before she spawned because of something to do with the server reset in the middle because there were the last ones I needed on their respective continents. There was also King Krush, I camped him for a very long time before I realised he wasn;t even in my NPC scanner.

Maybe he misunderstood it was probably my fault english is not my first language.
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Emophia wrote:So I;m flying across Hyjal and I see Anka, the last spirit beast I need to complete my collection but then there's another hunter following him around.

So I ask him isn;t he going to tame it?

And he says that he;s following it for a friend, been doing it for an hour.

So what should I do in this situation?

I;m in a bg right now as I write this, if the friend hasn;t tamed it by the time I;m out I;m thinking about taming it anyways.
Tame it. No question. If he feels like following the mob around he's free to do so, but he certainly has no claim on it of any kind.

Move it or lose it.
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

Two hours is beyond too long.

Now I will honestly admit, I have protected a rare myself for a friend. But I have -never- protected ANY rare for longer then 10 to 15 minutes. And yeah, in that 10 to 15 minute time frame I do see that rare as being mine, and I will shoo off anyone who comes near it. My same faction or not. But if I can not get someone to come tame said rare in that small time frame...specially if its a pretty big wanted rare spawn, Im not going to lose my cool over it. Get hit by car? You need some help.

Only time I have -ever- got "pissed" at another hunter, is when they were deliberately trying to mess up a friend of mine's tame WHILE she was trying to tame just so they could get it. But after I told them privately that it was a really un-cool move, and asked them to "please" stop, they did. (After throwing a little hissy fit, but still.)

I am very protective when it comes to helping my friends. But two hours is MORE then just a little extreme. Im usually the one sitting there spamming phone / IM / Whispers / Email ect going -

"GETONRIGHTNOWIMEANITNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWHEYIMTALKINGTOYOUGETONNOW."

Until they do, specially if I know its something they've wanted forever. Hell, I know a friend of mine actually completely dropped out of a raid JUST to come tame Arcturis once I found him alive for her.

Two hours though? Personal reasons or not. Thats just WAY too long.
Roxhunt
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade

Unread post by Roxhunt »

OMG! you waited for nearly two hours to tame it! If he wasn't the hunter going to tame it, I'm not sure I would have given his friend but about 5 more minutes to show up and then I would have tamed it. Those NPC's don't wear hunter's name tags until after they are tamed for a reason. I applaude you for waiting as long as you did Emophia!

Now, as far as the /care. After the language you received, they crossed the line and nothing says you have to pay another hunter or player with respect when they are clearly verbally abusing you when they start cussing at you. The other hunter should have told you gratz on your lovely tame and asked you nicely if you were out in the area and spotted Ankha again, would you please message them because they would still be hunting for it for their friend. I often help others find pets but I never get ugly with another hunter over them coming in and taming it. After all, if my hunter friends wanted it bad enough, they would be there themselves camping it and if they couldn't be there whatever reasons, then the NPC is fair game.

So I agree with this comment:
Syleye wrote:I'm sorry you lost your friends tame but after you decided to stoop to using foul language your lucky all she did was a /care. That language was immature and uncalled for, especially after the 2 hrs of giving you time.
And this made me laugh because if /care was thought of as rude, then this would be too:
Worba wrote:Move it or lose it.
but I agree and think it is right on 'target' ;)
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Honestly, I think it was rude of the person not to at least ask if 'hey, could I tame that since no one's showing up', but I appear to be in the minority. Yes, I would have a hard time gratsing someone who took something I was watching over. But eh.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Britany wrote:

You said this well. *nod*
Zuilu wrote:
neosmies wrote:And what happened to all the support on the heroic stories where a guild keeps a rare mob for half a day,
Can I just ask where you've heard these stories? 'Cause the -vast- majority of people here seem to think that all rares are fair game and that holding rares for people not even in the zone is wrong.

If someone came on here and said that their guild held Deth'tilac for half a day waiting for a single hunter, whilst killing anyone too close, I'm pretty sure it would start a -huge- flame war.
I think they confused it with that story about Gondria being held AWAY from Zul'drak by a guild. They dragged her to Grizzly I think and held her. But that wasn't anyone here I don't believe. That was just a story we ended up hearing about.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Novikova

It was. While I admire people who will do things like that, I can understand competition being frustrated with it. Miscommunication happened and someone took a go. I hope everyone gets their ghost kitties.

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Roxhunt wrote:And this made me laugh because if /care was thought of as rude, then this would be too:
Worba wrote:Move it or lose it.
but I agree and think it is right on 'target' ;)
Heh.

If I could think of a way to say it with fewer words, I would.

You get to it first, and it's unengaged? Go for it - it's your big moment. Carpe diem as Robin Williams would say.

Or don't, and the moment passes. :)
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Novikova wrote:It was. While I admire people who will do things like that, I can understand competition being frustrated with it. Miscommunication happened and someone took a go. I hope everyone gets their ghost kitties.
Yeah. Wasnt it you that posted about it or somethin?

LisaaraPokefarm

Novikova

Jessibelle wrote:
Novikova wrote:It was. While I admire people who will do things like that, I can understand competition being frustrated with it. Miscommunication happened and someone took a go. I hope everyone gets their ghost kitties.
Yeah. Wasnt it you that posted about it or somethin?
Hrm, nope. I commented that yeah, it's awesome for the person who tamed it but on the other hand if my NPCscan went off and I wanted Gondria, hoo boy. Although to those who wish to hold a rare, your best bet is generally to let kitty beat on you awhile and tag it. Granted, two hours+ seems a bit much. :/ I usually give someone up to half an hour then FD and reset it or wander off.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Oh alright. I don't remember who posted it then.

Yeah...2 hrs + is way too long. I've held something for 15mins but that was more just to find someone.

LisaaraPokefarm

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Jessibelle wrote:Oh alright. I don't remember who posted it then.

Yeah...2 hrs + is way too long. I've held something for 15mins but that was more just to find someone.
Bearing in mind you are only blocking it from being killed for loot* - for anything else you are completely at the mercy of passers-by who may or may not choose to buy into the arrangement as they see fit.

*On a PVE server that is - if you're doing that on a PVP server then it's purely a matter of how long you can survive...
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

Two hours?? You're lucky the poor cat was tamed and not slaughtered, quite honestly. :|

I mean, yeah, your friend must've been super excited to hear that you had the cat waiting for her, and I fully understand not being able to get on the computer at the time, but you can't really expect people to just let you be and be civilized like any normal human being should be?

Sadly, the world is not full of those people. The world is full of people who are douchebags, bastards, liars, and general scum of the earth. Hence my first sentence. *points up to it metaphorically* I'm quite amazed nobody swooped in and was all "RAWR, I AR DUCHEBAG, HEAR ME KILL" to the poor thing. I can ramble off so many stories of finds and attempted tames that ended like that.

Its not a pretty sight.
But life has never been fair, has it?

(and tbh, you're lucky that the OP has the patience and mouth of a saint. Tell me to go die or "fuck off" and you'd be getting a LOT more than a simple "/care" out of me.)

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Worba wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:Oh alright. I don't remember who posted it then.

Bearing in mind you are only blocking it from being killed for loot* - for anything else you are completely at the mercy of passers-by who may or may not choose to buy into the arrangement as they see fit.

*On a PVE server that is - if you're doing that on a PVP server then it's purely a matter of how long you can survive...
Yeah but usually if a passerby is a hunter, I'd let them have it instead cause they're there and ready to tame. First come, first serve.

LisaaraPokefarm