Looking for a wolf....

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Looking for a wolf....

Unread post by Pent »

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I currently have Ironjaw (http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/mobs/mob_ironjaw.html) but leveling him form 75 to 80 has shown me that he is an alright looking wolf, but he looks very rigid standing... almost like a wolf mount just standing there.

Is he considered to be an old wolf model? Do other wolves stand like that?

I am looking for another wolf and I am asking this community to show me what wolves they have so I can get a general consensus on what others have.

I wanted a "different" looking wolf model when I asked about Ironjaw and I still want a wolf, but I think I may choose a different look before I end up with one I like enough to keep.

I am interested in seeing any wolf/worg model that any of you really like. I almost ran out and just tamed a white worg because I use to have one when WotLK hit, but I ran around Dalaran and I would have to say that the wolf models I saw the most were the white wolf and white worg models...

I asked someone about a greyish worg that they had and they replied back saying it was the color changing worg... they said it could changed to black, white, or grey after a summon/call/revive... There is a worg that does this? I only knew of the color changing raptor in ZD.

Any comments/opinions is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Looking for a wolf....

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm not a fan of the Worg model of wolves, which is what Ironjaw is. They have very gimpy legs, and their run bothers me.

I prefer the old world wolf, which is the simple coyote-type one. It has great run animations in my opinion, plus they randomly howl. :)

Check here to view all the types of Wolf model in game:
http://wow-petopia.com/html/families/family_wolf.html
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

http://wow-petopia.com/html/mobs/mob_va ... hound.html
I not-so-normal wolf model. An "oopsie!" on Blizz's part. But harmless enough for them to let it slide.

http://wow-petopia.com/html/mobs/mob_se ... _gray.html
Is the one that can change from any of the four NR worg colors.

Kamalia
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

Unfortunately, the model that Ironjaw uses is very common in the wolf family. The Northrend wolves have a similar stance and run, but they're a little bit more active, as they occasionally make a howling animation.
If you're looking for a wolf with a lot of animations, the "thin wolf" model is for you. While idle, they bounce around, scratch, sniff at the ground, and sometimes howl. An especially unique addition to the thin wolves is the "barking wolf", AKA this guy. When you click on him, he'll bark for you! :D I haven't heard another barking wolf on my server aside from my own, for some reason... I guess that they just aren't as well known?
The wolves that I own on my hunters is the black "thin wolf" model, and the barking coyote. The skins I've seen the least on my main server is the coyote, and the grey-furred thin models.

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Kamalia wrote:An especially unique addition to the thin wolves is the "barking wolf", AKA this guy. When you click on him, he'll bark for you! :D I haven't heard another barking wolf on my server aside from my own, for some reason... I guess that they just aren't as well known?
I suggest this wolf myself. The blighthounds are overused, while the adorable little bark these guys do is lovely.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I tamed one of these wolves in the first instance you go to on hellfire peninsula.
The one that looks like a mount, with saddle and all.
I did this for a laugh, because I wrote a macro that put me on or off my mount and giving out the emote "Karathyriel jumps out of Logrims of saddle" or "Karathyriel swings his leg over Logrims back." Clicking the button that tells the pet to stay and walking away from it just made the illusion perfect!
As the mount appeared, the pet disappeared and vice versa but both using the same model, people kept whispering me how I'd managed to keep my mount visible when I got off of it or how I'd manage to ride my pet.
Hilarious!

But now I'm thinking I'm gonna get that color-changer, even if I don't like the worg model very much.
Vephriel

Wow, that's such a great idea Karathyriel! :D I love it. ^^
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Hehe, very nice Karathyriel. Very creative. ;)

http://wow-petopia.com/html/skins/skin_ ... black.html
Is a link to the skin he's talking about.

Nikrosnil
Haiku Master
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Nikrosnil »

Karathyriel, that's brilliant. I wonder if you can do the same with any other mounts?

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Raptors come to mind, but that's not an exact match.

Come to think of it, one of the Saber mounts, for those elves, is available for taming too, and that's a perfect match, except for the saddle of course.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

saturo wrote:Come to think of it, one of the Saber mounts, for those elves, is available for taming too, and that's a perfect match, except for the saddle of course.
Yeah, that's the only one I could think of too, hehe.

With that though, there's one combo for alliance and one combo for horde, hehe.

Unless, of course, you don't mind using the Temple of Qir'aji mounts with a silithid...
Oh yeah, and the dragonhawk for horde... (http://www.warcraftmounts.com/mounts/reddragonhawk.php)
There is one unobtainable mount (http://www.warcraftmounts.com/mounts/sp ... tsaber.php) that would match (http://wow-petopia.com/html/skins/skin_ ... addle.html).
Last edited by Ryno on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Except the wolf keeps his sadlle on. :(

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Elroch
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Elroch »

Hi there, new forum user, long time site lurker!

I went a tamed a barking prairie wolf. It is true that you do not see many of the old wolf styles.

Prolly because everybody went out and tamed the lvl 78-80 doggies for quick raiding after the patch buff.

Frankly, I love my cat of 40+ levels, but I understand the imperative for being the best raider you can be for dps. The faster the boss goes down the better.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Elroch wrote:The faster the boss goes down the better.
This is true, but that shouldn't dissuade you from using a pet that you love. So long as it's ferocity, any pet should be allowed in a raid. But that's just my opinion.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

That's to true. The difference between cats and wolfs dps-wise is not so big.

Why I'm using the wolf then although I have a cat at my side since level10?

Because the wolf still boosts my dps with every howl, even if I keep him from fighting because of AoE-damage.

The little tyke might be frustrated not to go to combat but I prefer him alive and boosting me. A cat can't do that.

And about the mount / pet combo:
The Shattered Hand Warhound pet and the Black War Wolf share the absolute same model and skin. That's what makes it so funny.
peloquin
Realm: area 52

Unread post by peloquin »

Big fan of wolves since i started. I prefer old world model. The best part is everyone can pick any type of skin to use for there companion. My advice try taming each type fight alittle with each one.Watch there animations in combat or passive runnin beside you. You'll know when ya get right one. I use http://www.wow-petopia.com/images/skin_ ... nblack.jpg and http://www.wow-petopia.com/images/skin_ ... nartic.jpg
Love there idle animations love when the howl my daughter uses http://www.wow-petopia.com/images/skin_ ... coyote.jpg the barker only pet i ever see her runnin with. good luck picking one
better to burnout, then to fade away!
Sokujo
Realm: Borean Tundra

Unread post by Sokujo »

I use the dark gray or black old world wolf model, like Snarler in Feralas.

I don't like the Northrend Worg models.

The old world worg models, I used to have the red and gray one like Ironjaw or Halycon, because I did the quest to get the Worg Pup. So that was kind of cool.

But anyway, I ultimately chose the old world wolf simply because of it's howling sound. They are the only one's that actually howl, plus I like their static animations, like scratching and sniffing.
Last edited by Sokujo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vephriel

Sokujo wrote: plus I like their static animations, like scratching and sniffing.
Do they come in grape?
bloodysam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Scryers!

Unread post by bloodysam »

or u could tame the hell hound thats the one i had before the mount look :P just a suggestion
:P

Born a lonewolf...choosen to be with pets!
Thanks for the awwsome signature Pooksie!!
Frostfox
Realm: Cenarion Circle

Unread post by Frostfox »

I was like so many other hunters... I had the same wolf that everyone else had... This got a little crazy with 4 hunters in the 25-man raid not knowing whose wolf was where... So, like you, I decided I wanted a wolf that looked different from the others... I started off taming a brown wolf from Utgarde Keep and named him "Chocolate", only to find he changed colors like the rest... Anyway, I researched on here and found that the rarest model of wolf in the game is from the Hinterlands... "Old Cliff Jumper" is the only tamable pet with his particular color scheme... Not to mention I had not seen anyone else with him... I camped him for over a month off and on until I finally got him... To this day, I have yet to see another one on my server and he stands out in the raids... He is a beautiful looking pet and I named him "Stormm"... I believe he was worth the effort... Good Luck....