Arcanite ripper found on black market!

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Arcanite ripper found on black market!

Unread post by Slickrock »

Sesamee wrote:
Shade wrote:I find it really hard to imagine people having the kind of money the black market is demanding. I play a great deal-about 3 hours every day at least, and I cannot make that kind of money unless I do NOTHING but mine and herb all day. Bah.
This would be your problem. Gathering professions are only good while your lvl'ing and if you're starting fresh on a new server. The real money is made on the AH. I use JC, Inscription, Transmute Alchemy, and Enchanting to make the bulk of my gold. The professions (except Inscription, it can ususally stand on its own, esp early on in an Expansion) work in tandem via ore shuffling. Prospect, create green items, sell them or DE, cut profitable gems, sell the others as is, use the DE mats to make scrolls. Or you can just find what items sell for the highest profit, buy the mats, craft, earn. You can also buy low sell high on the AH but that is more difficult, it's more of a supplement to your gold making really.

Every profession, even Tailoring, can make a ton of gold in the early days of MoP. Hundreds of thousands of gold in the first week is not unrealistic at all.
This.

The key is, gathering makes money EARLY in an expansion, but crafting is where the money usually is later on.

And for time... you don't need to spend a lot of time doing it, once you have the professions. For most of Cata, I made 300-500G a day for 5 min of work. How? Two alchemists doing the V Life transmute. Buy V Life, transmute it (x2) to V Air, list in on the AH and forget it. 5 min work tops, and it would always sell out in a few days.

Of course, I did other things too, buying ore and doing the JC shuffle. When LFR hit, there was HUGE money in selling gems.

But with the new xpac, anyone who is willing to mine and herb could easily make 100k or more in the first few weeks.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Shade wrote:I'm maxed Mining/Engineering on my main, Herb/Alch on my shaman-but then I don't get the time to gather materials and craft things to sell as much as I would, most of my time is spent running witht he guild. But thank you for the tips, I'll see what else I can add to my daily rotation of things to help increase my funds.

Its just, wow, high prices are more then a little daunting for an average player. I used to get ill thinking about spending 50k on a sandstone drake on my server before I decided to just level another toon, profession her alch and herb and make one myself. I need to focus on doing herbing while I am working on that toon's archaeology to get the Vial.
Both your profession combos are good ones. I hope your Alch is transmute spec. Assuming there is still a gathering bonus from Engineering, that can be very very good at the start of an expansion. I made a lot just from the extra Volatiles I gained in Uldum.

The Vial is a huge time and money sink. Much worse with the time. Personally, I still haven't bought one yet.
Masquerain
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Masquerain »

Right now, there is a lot of gold in the WoW economy. This is Blizzard's way of trying to increase the worth of gold - it's not meant to be for every player, this is another aspect of the game's increasing amount of meta-game.

The biggest complaint in Cataclysm was that there is a horrible lack of anything to do at 85. RBGs gave the PVPers something new to do for a while and LFR (although introduced very late) gave the PVErs something to do. Other than that, there's not a lot to do at 85 unless you enjoy grinding achievements, PVPing, or raiding. Even then, those things become rather monotonous after a time.

MOP is Blizzard trying to give us a LOT more to do at 90. Many, many quests aren't available until level 90 - from faction dailies, cloud serpent dailies, fishing faction dailies, cooking/farm dailies, pet collection/battles, account-bound achievements that many of them are collective across characters, scenarios that auto-tune with gear sets to collect for transmog... just ... wow. There is SO much to do at 90 now, it should take quite a while for your average player to get bored.

And what, then? After you're exalted with all the factions, have all of the pets, have all of the achievements, have all of the gear. What is there left to do? There is one meta-game that your average player doesn't get tremendously involved in - the auction house and making gold. It's heavily dominated by gold farmers and bots. Blizzard is trying to get you more involved in it, to edge out the bots controlling the AH. They'll always be there, but if you encourage more people to take part in the AH, you'll wind up making things cheaper for your Average Joe, and the Black Market does well with sucking that gold back out of the economy.

The items in the Black Market are RARE. These are retired, TCG, or very low-drop items. TBH, you're lucky to even see an Arcanite Ripper ever again, much less even be remotely able to obtain it. I'm beyond thankful that they're making these items difficult (expensive) to obtain, because now it's an incentive to have more people saving gold to get them.

tl;dr, the Black Market is a great idea and these items are rare for a reason, of course they're not going to be cheap.
Slickrock

Qraljar wrote:200k per item? You can give me any ridiculous statement, but that's not nearly a realistic amount for anyone that casually gains his gold.
Look at the prices for TCG mounts right now. 150k-900k. People are spending the money on those.

No, you aren't going to get that amount of gold farming dailies. And frankly, I'd never spend that much either, I'm not that rich in game.

The interesting side note here is that Blizz has created the current gold glut with the DS raid. In FL, there were a lot of BOEs, so money flowed around. In DS, there are VERY few worthwile, BOEs, so money is staying in pockets.

Also, look again at the BMAH. Prices are starting at 20k. That's not unreasonable at all given the current 15k-40k gold sinks that Blizz already has in the game. Think about these as luxury items. If you can't afford them, you can't afford them.

And if you think gold sinks are terrible, and how every play should have access to those items for the amount of effort they want to put in, why aren't you upset about the JC mounts? Unless Blizz changes the pricing, it will cost 500k to make the final one. That is a lot, even for me.
Slickrock

Bonita wrote:I kinda read it as Wain calling the people who buy and repost the parasites and read Slick as saying they werent one of the people who does that (Maybe I misinterpreted, just woke up) So I dont see anything to get offended over. I make a lot of gold from the AH buy selling the things I craft/farm.

OT: I think the prices are a little crazy, and Im not going to spend 200k on something. Regardless of if I have the gold because that is an insane amount lol. Its nice they have a way for people to get rare things, but most people cant make that quickly.
I've heard the excuse that Wain put forth a lot before, thus my ire. It's basically the idea that anyone making money in the AH is jacking up prices, which is normally the opposite of the truth. The biggest money makers in the AH are usually undercutting everyone else, and making their gold on volume. Problem is, that takes a lot of work. I stay away from those markets myself, as there is too much AH camping required (posting and reposting of gems, glyphs, whatever). VERY few times are the AH Barons jacking up prices as Wain suggested. Instead, they are driving others out of the market on volume.

As far as spending, there are very few items that I would spend 200k on. A few of the TCG mounts is about it. I doubt the Arcanite Reaper will go for more than 70k or so on a live server.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Ahh, so T3, Arcanite Ripper and Ashes of Al'ar were all originally put in the game on the Black Market Auction House?

Good to know.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

I think you read into Wains statement too much, I also dislike the people that mass buy up mats/gems that everyone needs and up the price by 50g. People on my server do/did it and I don't like it.

There is one thing to sell mats/crafted things you got yourself etc but to mass buy up all of something on the AH to either put it up in single stacks (IE 1 dust) or just jack the price up outright is assholish.

I believe you need to calm yo titties. ;)
ImageImage
Slickrock

Masquerain wrote:Right now, there is a lot of gold in the WoW economy. This is Blizzard's way of trying to increase the worth of gold - it's not meant to be for every player, this is another aspect of the game's increasing amount of meta-game.

The biggest complaint in Cataclysm was that there is a horrible lack of anything to do at 85. RBGs gave the PVPers something new to do for a while and LFR (although introduced very late) gave the PVErs something to do. Other than that, there's not a lot to do at 85 unless you enjoy grinding achievements, PVPing, or raiding. Even then, those things become rather monotonous after a time.

MOP is Blizzard trying to give us a LOT more to do at 90. Many, many quests aren't available until level 90 - from faction dailies, cloud serpent dailies, fishing faction dailies, cooking/farm dailies, pet collection/battles, account-bound achievements that many of them are collective across characters, scenarios that auto-tune with gear sets to collect for transmog... just ... wow. There is SO much to do at 90 now, it should take quite a while for your average player to get bored.

And what, then? After you're exalted with all the factions, have all of the pets, have all of the achievements, have all of the gear. What is there left to do? There is one meta-game that your average player doesn't get tremendously involved in - the auction house and making gold. It's heavily dominated by gold farmers and bots. Blizzard is trying to get you more involved in it, to edge out the bots controlling the AH. They'll always be there, but if you encourage more people to take part in the AH, you'll wind up making things cheaper for your Average Joe, and the Black Market does well with sucking that gold back out of the economy.

The items in the Black Market are RARE. These are retired, TCG, or very low-drop items. TBH, you're lucky to even see an Arcanite Ripper ever again, much less even be remotely able to obtain it. I'm beyond thankful that they're making these items difficult (expensive) to obtain, because now it's an incentive to have more people saving gold to get them.

tl;dr, the Black Market is a great idea and these items are rare for a reason, of course they're not going to be cheap.
Well said.
Slickrock

Meggers wrote:I also dislike the people that mass buy up mats/gems that everyone needs and up the price by 50g.
That is uncommon, at best. If someone was doing that on my server, I'd just undercut them, and force them to loose on the purchase. Usually, bots are pushing down the mat prices.
Slickrock

Qraljar wrote:Ahh, so T3, Arcanite Ripper and Ashes of Al'ar were all originally put in the game on the Black Market Auction House?

Good to know.
You can still go farm for the Ashes if you so choose.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

That leaves T3 and the Ripper. A very dignified way to bring items back, by giving them to gold buyers or AH barons.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I feel a little conflicted about the black market. I have no problem with using this as another way of getting rare items, but am not so sure about using it to get otherwise unobtainable ones. It's not that I mind the prices, but I'm worried that Blizzard will decide that this is the only way to reintroduce retired items. If it is the only way to get retired items, then it will be limited to players who enjoy the AH game, which is a small percentage. I prefer when Blizzard gives us multiple ways to get to the same goal.

And I know it takes a little more effort, but if we could discuss this without name-calling and derogatory speech, it would be much more productive.
Slickrock

Qraljar wrote:That leaves T3 and the Ripper. A very dignified way to bring items back, by giving them to gold buyers or AH barons.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, gold barons really care about standing in fountain outside the AH in SW dancing as an undead for hours on end. Dignified. Yeah. :roll: :roll: :roll:

T3? Yeah, that should be available the same as any other set. I'll agree there, problem is the raid is not there anymore, and every other old raid is trivial. Perhaps make it rare BOE world drops. Let the players sell them.
Slickrock

GormanGhaste wrote: I have no problem with using this as another way of getting rare items, but am not so sure about using it to get otherwise unobtainable ones. It's not that I mind the prices, but I'm worried that Blizzard will decide that this is the only way to reintroduce retired items. If it is the only way to get retired items, then it will be limited to players who enjoy the AH game, which is a small percentage.
Well, if you remove T3 from the equation.. Let's see what other items Blizz puts back in via the BMAH. Frankly, I'll be very dissapointed if the TCG mounts don't show up in there, as that is what I want most.
Slapperfish

Unread post by Slapperfish »

The good news: Arcanite Ripper is back in MoP!
The bad news: My hunter can't equip it anymore. >_<
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I like the idea of the Black Market Auction House. I doubt I'll catch anything on it myself, but I'm not overly concerned. I'm not poor, but I don't have a 6 digit balance either. I'm also a bit stingy on large purchases, I like to sit on my gold.

So far it seems that all auctions listed on it have a certain ending time with no buyout price, correct? That certainly seems to leave the bidding in the hands of the wealthiest players on realms, since they'll have the means to continue increasing the price.

I think it would be nice to have occasional auctions listed that come with a buyout price (not cheap of course, but something reasonable). This wouldn't happen frequently, but more of a 'rarespawn' so that even if you don't have the money to participate in a bidding war, if you have enough gold for a flat buyout you might get lucky and catch something.
Slickrock

Vephriel wrote:I think it would be nice to have occasional auctions listed that come with a buyout price (not cheap of course, but something reasonable). This wouldn't happen frequently, but more of a 'rarespawn' so that even if you don't have the money to participate in a bidding war, if you have enough gold for a flat buyout you might get lucky and catch something.
I like that idea, but ONLY if those items are BOP. If they are BOE, then you are just going to have folks camping to resell the items. And there are some that will camp 24/7 to do that.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh of course. I'm assuming all these items will be BoP. They should be, there's no point if people just buy to resell.
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Wain wrote:Yep. It'll be the domain of parasites who buy up everything on the AH and then inflate it dramatically. Nice class of person to reward.
I thought Black Market items couldn't be resold?

Slickrock

Ellaran wrote:
Wain wrote:Yep. It'll be the domain of parasites who buy up everything on the AH and then inflate it dramatically. Nice class of person to reward.
I thought Black Market items couldn't be resold?
That hasn't been comfirmed either way yet. And I think Wain was referring to how people get their gold in the first place.