Other animals like goats

Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Other animals like goats

Unread post by Cerele »

I understand the dwarves have a long running relationship with the giant goats around the mountains of ironforge, but why not
add other animals similar? I mean goats out of no where seemed kind of random, but why not horses, bulls and stags? Horses serve
their masters to the death, most notably Invincible, who followed Arthas to the grave and beyond. Bulls could be a lovely addition
and maybe have a joke cow (referencing the cow levels in diablo) strong and hearty animals would make a nice pet for hunters. The
Druids with the night elves have had a close bond with nature, the dryads are even half stag, I'm sure a hunter could hold a bond
even if for combat reasons it was restricted to bucks.

Just a thought,

signature thanks to Kurieno
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Other animals like goats

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Rams, stags, and talbuks all seem like good additions to the Goat family to me.
Oswen
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Pozzo dell'Eternità (EU)

Unread post by Oswen »

GormanGhaste wrote:Rams, stags, and talbuks all seem like good additions to the Goat family to me.
I would toss Shoveltusks in there aswell but the family would then make more sense as "Horned Beast".
Trample could still work as special ability or they could go with something like "Head Butt"....but i think i'm just dreaming now anyway :lol:
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

Oswen wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:Rams, stags, and talbuks all seem like good additions to the Goat family to me.
I would toss Shoveltusks in there aswell but the family would then make more sense as "Horned Beast".
Trample could still work as special ability or they could go with something like "Head Butt"....but i think i'm just dreaming now anyway :lol:
I thought the same thing. It could work similar to a warriors throw down.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Oswen wrote:
I would toss Shoveltusks in there as well.
You're right, they would make sense. The omission must have been unconscious prejudice on my part; I'm not particularly fond of the model or sounds.
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

Oswen wrote:

YES YES YES!!!!! I'd love any of these. And I just love the shoveltusks.
Head butt would be perfect for that family :)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The rams really do seem like a shoe-in for Goats. I sincerely hope they add them to flesh out the family a bit. I'd also go crazy for Talbuks. They may not be goats, but I think they're similar enough that they could be tossed in with the others. Their models are so gorgeous.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Vephriel wrote:The rams really do seem like a shoe-in for Goats. I sincerely hope they add them to flesh out the family a bit. I'd also go crazy for Talbuks. They may not be goats, but I think they're similar enough that they could be tossed in with the others. Their models are so gorgeous.

Welcome to the Domino Effect.

Rams certainly look similar Goats, similar enough to be in the same family for sure....

But then if they are added, Talbuk certainly look similar Rams, similar enough to be in the same family?..

But then if they are added, Stags certainly look similar Talbuk, similar enough to be in the same family?..

But then if they are added, Shovel Tusks certainly look similar Stags, similar enough to be in the same family?..

But then if they are added, Kodo certainly look similar Shovel Tusk, similar enough to be in the same family?..

But then if they are added, Clefthoof certainly look similar Kodo, similar enough to be in the same family?..

(Though personally I draw the line at kodos and clefthooves (I think Clefthooves should be in the Rhino Family, but thats just my opinion))

But that's just it, where do you draw the line...?
With the introduction of goats being made available, it opens a whole new can of "but what about...?"

In all honestly, I think it simply boils down to one thing...
What models do they have, that have full attack, swimming, special, etc, animations. And do these require bugger all work to implement and we are happy with the look of said animations.
If it's a yes sure... hey presto! New Tamable Family!

They will no doubt be also releasing these old "untamable beast families" with a gated approach so hunters do just get everything they want all at once. They want to leave us wanting/waiting for more, the anticipation and the joy of it all.... Right? ( /waves at hydras ;) )

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

She swallowed the shoveltusk to catch the stag. She swallowed the stag to catch the talbuk. She swallowed the..

Seriously though, it would have been nice if they'd created a "herdbeast", or "hoofbeast", or some other snazzily-named family (butt-heads? ;) ) of horned and antlered ruminants. All these creatures are actually related and all would use pretty much an identical attack. If any of the others are ever made tameable (and I dare say it's inevitable with time) then it'd make far more sense to group them like this than create individual families.

The most similar, of course, is the ram model. There's already a goat in the game that uses this old model (Billy Goat in the Badlands). It'll be interesting to see if they change it to the new goat model, make it tameable as a ram, or just ignore it :) (Noah is aware of it)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Talbuks should be in the antelope family, while stags should be in their own family.
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

I don't think horses ever should but the other animals seem fitting enough.
ImageImage
Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

Talbuks already have an icon (from the mounts), swimming animations (from the mounts), the same skeleton and combat animations as the goat model (so if they are satisfied with the goat model's attacks the talbuk will also be fine), and quite a few skins. So they could literally copy and paste the goat family, rename it Talbuk, change the icon, the ability tooltip, and then go and flag a handful of things tameable.

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I want a Girrafe. It's the closest thing to the mythological Kirin.
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Spiritbinder wrote:
Vephriel wrote:The rams really do seem like a shoe-in for Goats. I sincerely hope they add them to flesh out the family a bit. I'd also go crazy for Talbuks. They may not be goats, but I think they're similar enough that they could be tossed in with the others. Their models are so gorgeous.

Welcome to the Domino Effect.

Rams certainly look similar Goats, similar enough to be in the same family for sure....

But then if they are added, Talbuk certainly look similar Rams, similar enough to be in the same family?..

But then if they are added, Stags certainly look similar Talbuk, similar enough to be in the same family?..

But then if they are added, Shovel Tusks certainly look similar Stags, similar enough to be in the same family?..

But then if they are added, Kodo certainly look similar Shovel Tusk, similar enough to be in the same family?..

But then if they are added, Clefthoof certainly look similar Kodo, similar enough to be in the same family?..

(Though personally I draw the line at kodos and clefthooves (I think Clefthooves should be in the Rhino Family, but thats just my opinion))

But that's just it, where do you draw the line...?
With the introduction of goats being made available, it opens a whole new can of "but what about...?"

In all honestly, I think it simply boils down to one thing...
What models do they have, that have full attack, swimming, special, etc, animations. And do these require bugger all work to implement and we are happy with the look of said animations.
If it's a yes sure... hey presto! New Tamable Family!

They will no doubt be also releasing these old "untamable beast families" with a gated approach so hunters do just get everything they want all at once. They want to leave us wanting/waiting for more, the anticipation and the joy of it all.... Right? ( /waves at hydras ;) )
Let's not get silly here. Everyone (hopefully) knows the differences between goats, deer, antelope, horses, and giant lizard things, so I doubt it would snowball like that if they made Talbuks part of the goat family. Besides, it would be really dumb for Blizzard to make a new pet family that has representatives in the older content but the only tamable ones are the new ones in the new content.

It's been a bit since the last pet pass, here's to hoping Blizzard was working on getting rams and talbuks into the Goat family.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Ellaran wrote:I doubt it would snowball
That's not how things work here - or most places, for that matter. :lol:

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Kalliope wrote:
Ellaran wrote:I doubt it would snowball
That's not how things work here - or most places, for that matter. :lol:
Well, it never hurts to think positively :lol:

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

How about Andrewsarchus? :lol: He was related to sheep and goats and even had hoofed toes!
For size because the pic above makes him look huge
Image :mrgreen:

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I am surprised they went specific on some families (porcupine) but broad on others (birds of prey)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rawr wrote:How about Andrewsarchus? :lol: He was related to sheep and goats and even had hoofed toes!
Oh god, the "wolf in sheep's clothing" is real! That thing is terrifying. At least a flock of them wouldn't need a guard dog.
Quivering wrote:I am surprised they went specific on some families (porcupine) but broad on others (birds of prey)
I don't think there's necessarily any rule to it, just whatever makes/made sense at the time.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Wain wrote:
Quivering wrote:I am surprised they went specific on some families (porcupine) but broad on others (birds of prey)
I don't think there's necessarily any rule to it, just whatever makes/made sense at the time.
Unique family abilities probably factor in too. How many different buffs/debuffs can you get out of birds, anyway?

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!