End of the Golden Age of hunter rare pets?...

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

End of the Golden Age of hunter rare pets?...

Unread post by Slickrock »

Just hear me out on this....

Been thinking about this as I considered how to prune my stable, and with the changes coming to how rares show up, how we tame them, and what I imagine will be used for the coming Spirit Beasts... it feels like the golden age of rare pets is past us, at least from a rare hunter's point of view. Now the new pets are great, and I'm glad we have them, and I like the new "hunting" mechanic, but it just feels like a bit of something has passed us by. Perhaps it's because there are so many (especially the basilisks 0.o) and perhaps it's because the new rares are protected from other players, but a bit of the thrill is gone. Might also be because there have been just so many that you just can't get excited about new Spirit Beasts in the same way now.

Again, I'm not complaining about what we have coming in the next two patches (Tues and the 25th), and I certainly appreciate Noah's work.

But I do feel that perhaps we've passed an era where things just quite aren't the same anymore.

I do however, intend to track down Portent until I get the color I like... 8-)
Account has been closed at user's request.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: End of the Golden Age of hunter rare pets?...

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I seem to be a bit out of the loop... what are these changes to rares and spirit beasts?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

You mean it's the End Beginning of the Golden Age of hunter pets and the End of the Silver Age right? ;)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Sure, the thrill of beating another player to a creature that has a loot benefit is gone now, but i think its going to be select minds who feel its the end of a golden age. The other select half such as myself see it as a dawning to a new age where yes, everything is a little more protected (no loot, elite, can only be flared out by hunters) but we're getting the thrill of the hunt instead. Well, a different type of hunt. A hunt that is more like real life. The hunt that is currently live is actually more like a countdown mashed with a race of speed. It's like the olympics when your desperately trying to get the tame off before someone swoops in. The new mechanics we're getting create probably the most realistic hunt environment we can possibly have with WoW.

I do agree that i sort of feel we have -too- many creatures to choose from. Im not speaking of any family specifically, but i am finding it harder to bond with a pet because of the variety. I start picking them like a child grabbing candy from two dozen bulk containers and throw each candy into a big bag and mix em all up. I just cant decide what to 'eat' first :P I was lucky with my main hunter though, i had her personality and background set perfectly and knew what pets to get her. Then i started getting armor that went beautifully with her background as an ice troll and then i started getting matching mounts, oh its so perfect. I just love her to death. But like, my worgen? forget about it. I cant even decide on a transmog so i cant even bond with my pets, i keep cycling through desperate to click.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

I have to disagree with the thought that it is the end of a Golden Age. First off I don't think we've really had a Golden age per say. Unless you are talking about having a rare pet being rare. In that case that ended with cata probably. I honestly don't view hoping someone doesn't kill something before you can tame it as a Golden Age...

Before MoP it was basically camping the spawn points and dealing with griefers. I hate to say it but there isn't much involved in that except patience and having time to sit around. I will admit I get a thrill up mine spin and it gets my heart pumping when I find the pet I've been camping. I don't think that's going to change for me in MoP. Admittedly so far in MoP none of the rares really grab me as much have, but I'm really looking forward to the mechanic.

So, I guess what I really got to ask is why do you think we are in a Golden Age why is it ending cause I don't see it.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

I think this new mechanic just makes it more interesting. sure we dont need to compete with the other classes for the rare pet. (aka them trolling us and killing it for fun)

but now we need to compete with other hunters instead. I already had a couple of nerve breaking moments on beta already while me and a other hunter we were running around and following tracks :P.

i do hope some tames of Molten front do come back they where interesting as well.
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

I agree and disagree. Having King Krush as my main pet back in WotLK was a bigger status symbol the Loque'nahk. Solo taming him back then was near impossible due to the 20sec cast, reduced armor while taming, him hitting like a truck and his short fear cd.

By the end of Wrath there were maybe 2 other hunters aside from myself who had him. It felt good to have earned him. However, recalling the 9 month grief stricken camp process does not appeal to me. I never want to camp any pet again like I did King Krush. I had to stack haste gems/enchants on my PvP gear (resil actually helped somewhat against npc's back then), have a trash pet for my Bestial Wrath/abandon pet/ haste potion macro, pray a pocket priest was online, and hope no other player interfered.

No, no I never want to be so stressed over a pet again. Having other hunters to compete against is enough.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Spiritbinder wrote:You mean it's the End Beginning of the Golden Age of hunter pets and the End of the Silver Age right? ;)
I actually think, for me, this is what we're looking at.

I'm a partial comic book geek, so I know about the general idea of the 'ages' of comics and the utterly different 'feel' of how things went. *And* I'm old enough to remember most of the 'ages' of comics because I actually lived through them. Golden Age and Silver Age were both awesome, but completely different feels. Bronze age, same. And... well, we don't discuss the 'Dark Age'.

The point is, for me it's the end of an era. ... and the beginning of a new one. We had our 'camp for eons' age, we had the 'challenge pets' age, and now we're looking at the 'tracking pets'. Is it going to be good or bad where this is going? It's not eve n*here* yet, so no way to tell!
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Spiritbinder and Kurasu pretty much sum it up for me. Things are changing...for the better, I feel.

But it is yet too soon to tell!
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Aside from all that mentioned above, I love it how now we'll have to actually, you know, HUNT the pet - find it's tracks, follow them and eventualy flare the beast out of it's hiding.
Love it <3

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

Some of the "rarity" might be lost but only in the large number we're getting and the potentially shorter timers on them but otherwise they could be even more exclusive/difficult to aquire than ever before.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kurasu wrote:
Spiritbinder wrote:You mean it's the End Beginning of the Golden Age of hunter pets and the End of the Silver Age right? ;)
I actually think, for me, this is what we're looking at.

I'm a partial comic book geek, so I know about the general idea of the 'ages' of comics and the utterly different 'feel' of how things went. *And* I'm old enough to remember most of the 'ages' of comics because I actually lived through them. Golden Age and Silver Age were both awesome, but completely different feels. Bronze age, same. And... well, we don't discuss the 'Dark Age'.

The point is, for me it's the end of an era. ... and the beginning of a new one. We had our 'camp for eons' age, we had the 'challenge pets' age, and now we're looking at the 'tracking pets'. Is it going to be good or bad where this is going? It's not eve n*here* yet, so no way to tell!
You sum it up perfectly for me. :3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Sukurachi wrote:I seem to be a bit out of the loop... what are these changes to rares and spirit beasts?
Kalli's nice lil thread here should answer your questions if you haven't found out since you posted this:

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 39&t=18527

Short answer: Mists of Pandaria Rares are spotted with tracks that show up only for hunters. Hunters have to use the "flare" ability where the hidden rares are pathing (you guess by following the tracks) and then when flared out, you tame said beast.
Last edited by Royi on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Royi wrote:
Sukurachi wrote:I seem to be a bit out of the loop... what are these changes to rares and spirit beasts?
Kalli's nice lil thread here should answer your questions if you haven't found out since you posted this:

Short answer: Rares are spotted with tracks that show up only for hunters. Hunters have to use the "flare" ability where the hidden rares are pathing (you guess by following the tracks) and then when flared out, you tame said beast.
I didn't know that applied to ALL rares. I thought it was just the pandaria ones cause Loque, Krush, and Aotona are needed for Frostbitten.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Jessibelle wrote:
Royi wrote:
Short answer: Rares are spotted with tracks that show up only for hunters. Hunters have to use the "flare" ability where the hidden rares are pathing (you guess by following the tracks) and then when flared out, you tame said beast.
I didn't know that applied to ALL rares. I thought it was just the pandaria ones cause Loque, Krush, and Aotona are needed for Frostbitten.
It's only the new ones. None of the old ones are being changed.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Wain wrote:It's only the new ones. None of the old ones are being changed.

ahhhh!! that explains it then.

I was finally able to find the right combination of words in google to get some of the info, but thanks for summarizing it here.

I wonder... I'm colourblind. do you think it will make finding these tracks difficult?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Wain wrote: It's only the new ones. None of the old ones are being changed.
I'll update it to say Pandaria Rares
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sukurachi wrote:
Wain wrote:It's only the new ones. None of the old ones are being changed.
ahhhh!! that explains it then.
I was finally able to find the right combination of words in google to get some of the info, but thanks for summarizing it here.
I wonder... I'm colourblind. do you think it will make finding these tracks difficult?
If anything I expect it may be easier. It's more about contrast than colour. I'm not sure if that's true of all of them or not. Check Kalli's rare hunting thread as she has pics of all the prints at the top.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I hope some more challenge tames are implemented. I'm loving the actual "tracking rares" mechanics, but I still like the various strategies of the challenge tames. Just make them like Ghostcrawler where they're impossible to kill.
Maybe... challenge tames that you have to track! Truly elite pets for only the toughest hunters!
Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

Jessibelle wrote:
Royi wrote:

You are correct it just applies to the MoP rare tames.