Need to Vent About Hydras

Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Need to Vent About Hydras

Unread post by Lazurianis »

So. Being a long time Hunter, I was very excited when Blizzard had announced they'd made a Hydra pet class and what not. So I just kinda prep'd for it, waiting to tame the Red Unique Skinned Hydra. But as timed passed, they still were not Tameable, and its already coming up to Mists of Pandaria, and once again, still not tameable. Blizzard should either say "They are tameable" or not. Because having us wait THIS long for a pet is ridiculous. Considering they've already made the new pets (Basilisks, Water Striders, Porcupines, Quilen, Ect). That just kinda told me that they wont be tameable because of that. I dont mean to kill anyone's dreams and what not but still, im being literal at the moment.

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Need to Vent About Hydras

Unread post by Wain »

Actually, I don't remember them ever announcing a Hydra family. I believe it just showed up one day for the one tamed hydra a few hunters have. I actually believe hydras were strongly considered but then rejected for some reason.

My suspicion, and this is PURELY speculation, I don't have ANY inside info, is that they wanted to - or were required to - or had some weird company political reasons to - only choose families that had a presence on the new continent. And I suspect hydras weren't a candidate for that reason. Much as people love them they aren't the most graceful, or best designed of models and I doubt they wanted to add them to Pandaria. Basilisks probably barely pipped it in. They are very old, but there's still something about them that they don't look too clunky.

That's just my guess, anyway.

I debated moving this to the pets forum, but I may leave it here for now since the discussion may pertain to Pandaria.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Unread post by Lazurianis »

Yea, I think Basilisks made a great addition to Pandaria, but I dunno, there is plenty of areas in Pandaria to give Hydras a home, like the ponds in Jade Forest, those would be some nice areas to fit in Hydras. But I dunno, I thought I heard them saying something about how Hydras were intended to be tameable. But i'm not sure now that you mention it.

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Lazurianis wrote:Yea, I think Basilisks made a great addition to Pandaria, but I dunno, there is plenty of areas in Pandaria to give Hydras a home, like the ponds in Jade Forest, those would be some nice areas to fit in Hydras. But I dunno, I thought I heard them saying something about how Hydras were intended to be tameable. But i'm not sure now that you mention it.
Oh there are certainly habitats there they could be added to. I just don't think they wanted the model there for aesthetic reasons. I know people love them but it is rather clunky. Just my suspicions.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Blizz never announced the Hydra family EVER. I want hydras too but I'm willing to be patient. The hydra family thing was just something we petopians noticed and Petopia announced it, not Blizzard.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

It was never "announced," the closest we got was when Hydras got abilities in 4.1
http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/02/24/patch ... r-hunters/

I know they'll be made tameable eventually. Basilisks were in vanilla, too: they just got luckier and made it into this expansion.
Poearia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank

Unread post by Poearia »

I would love to see Hydras as well. I agree with Wain they feel clunky, but it hasn't been so bad when I've raided with hunter's who had them or been in dungeons.

Hydras are extremely rare, and I would like to see them kept rare. I'm kinda feeling.......

Hydra Sprit Beast

Just sayin...
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Poearia wrote:I would love to see Hydras as well. I agree with Wain they feel clunky, but it hasn't been so bad when I've raided with hunter's who had them or been in dungeons.

Hydras are extremely rare, and I would like to see them kept rare. I'm kinda feeling.......

Hydra Sprit Beast

Just sayin...
Keeping them rare is one thing.

Keeping them unique to players who used a glitch to get them, not quite as fair. :P Not everyone was high enough level to get them on their hunter. ;)
Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

Um... I like that they grandfather stuff. Even when I was a few level short of taming the spirit wolf. I never wished them to lose them so things could be fair..... :(
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I was only one level away from getting a hydra...I've always hated that the ability to tame that one was removed, that people still got to keep the hydra, that hydra's were given their own family later on but no hydra's have been made tamable...and bitter because Garwal was not grandfathered to (yes I understand why!! I still hate it)...but with so many hunters wanting hydras...why NOT? I mean we got the accidental grub, which has crappy blown up graphics, yet we get that as a pet (not that there's anything wrong with that...) so why not one of, if not THEE, most wanted beast to be tamable?

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I'm going to be really honest here. I too had hoped Hydras would be making their debut in MoP and am still saddened that they didn't make the cut. There wasn't really anything else I was looking forward to tame with what was added and so I kept holding on ... holding on to the hope of an impossible possibility.

To be quite frank, I'm finding myself becoming more and more detached from the game. I'm all for exploring new lands and junk but the glue that has kept me playing WoW was, and always will be, the experiences I have had playing my hunters with their pets. I'm totally grateful for all the love and attention we received since Cataclysm and understand full-heartedly that such grand generosity couldn't and wouldn't be given indefinitely. I just, I don't know how else to say it, I guess I'm growing restless. Which is really sad for me to say because I do love playing the game so much. In a way, I was counting on the idea of taming Hydras as a means to reignite the passion that has now slowly started to ebb away.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I still cling to the notion that it might still happen ... someday ... sometime. I just feel like a kid at Christmas time, who wished and pleaded for a puppy from Santa Claus, only to open a box filled with socks and underwear instead. Practical and useful, yes ... but still not what I had hoped for in the end.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Very well said Niabi, admittedly I'm not a die-hard hunter. But...I honestly have been looking foreward to those for a while. I'm not super vocal about it, but each time they don't come without an explanation..it sucks! Esp since that one "the untamable" was added to the DMF...sorta shitty. I totally get joking around with players/showing their humanity but that's still kinda mean. :(
ImageImage