Of taxies and NPCscan

Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Of taxies and NPCscan

Unread post by Yaone »

Interesting lil things while on a taxi. Last night I was taking one from HFP to Netherstorm, didn't think anything of it until npcscan alerted me to Marticar's spawning. I was able to target him and everything so quickly logged to cancel the rest of my trip. Landing at the little broken settlement I quickly flew back to the trail I know he walks and nothing. Mind you I was only away from where I had seen him walking by about 20 seconds (including the logout/in to cancel the flight). I thought meh whatever, another hunter grabbed him OR killed/skinned him.

I wrote it off as that...

So after running back and forth making sure he just didn't load due to lag I hopped back on the flight path to netherstorm and ended up flying over Nuramoc. Figured I would go say hi to him and again... nothing. Figured once again, tamed or killed/skinned. That one took a lil longer to get back where it was after the cross realm load.. so yea, I figured I missed him too.

Well today I was doing my archeology stuff again that took me to Zul'drak. Npcscan blares at me again showing the Zul'drak Sentinel was walking right up to the Argent stand there and as soon as I touched down with it still targeted I had the normal freeze up for a second and poof, gone. Now at this point I can say with all certainty, it was Not killed and body mined. Can't be tamed so definitely not that. But it has to be that when you do the little "switch" for cross server that the rare is in that copy and you are not once you land.

Basically, can you imagine flying to SB or Storm Peaks to see some crazy rare pet OR mount only to have it despawn when you land and do that switch? Yuck... I am just glad I have the rares there and tlpd or I would be really upset by this.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Re: Of taxies and NPCscan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

this happened to my friend. he saw Aeonaxx spawn and tried to mount him but he flat out despawned for no reason. As if xrealm campers didnt make finding rares hard enough. =/

Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

I've seen several false positives of rares and I do blame cross realm servers for it.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

I've seen this happen too...more than once! What seems to happen is you start on your taxi flight in a zone that is NOT cross-realm. Therefore, any zones you pass through aren't shown as cross-realm--this only happens when the taxi finishes, and you land. Upon being 'shifted' into the cross-realm zone, you're suddenly on a different server than the rare you saw.

Latest example: Old Crystalbark. I saw him on the taxi, targeted him, and everything...and then as I landed and shifted into cross-realm, he remained behind, thus 'disappearing' as far as I was concerned.

...I really hope this is only an issue if you start in a non-cross-realm zone, because it would be annoying to never be able to trust what you saw on a flight path. I started in Dalaran which is sometimes cross-realm for Suramar, so I sadly can't say for sure.

It's not so much a false positive as much as it is you're pulled onto a different server.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

Yes, found out by many people that this is also happening to them. Very annoying and not sure there can actually be a fix for this aside from making the zone change load in to the proper realm while on the taxi. This includes a friend who was flying to storm peaks now and before they landed at Ulduar flew right over TLPD.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

This isn't intended behavior and Blizz will try to fix it. It's buried somewhere in this link (http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/zq ... loper_ama/), though I can't find it offhand.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

This along with buggy fishing extravagenzas and Tol Barad/Wintergrasp control are supposedly fixed in the patch or will be hotfixed shortly. If only they'd gotten it sooner.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Bristlenose wrote:This along with buggy fishing extravagenzas and Tol Barad/Wintergrasp control are supposedly fixed in the patch or will be hotfixed shortly. If only they'd gotten it sooner.
This is a pretty quick turnaround, actually. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Unread post by Lazurianis »

Yeah, this is indeed a glitch that blizzard needs to fix. I like Cross Realm Zones and all, but this is going to get annoying. I would enjoy seeing Blizzard cut off Cross-Realm Zones unless you are in party with someone from a different realm. Because this is getting out of hand.

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark