Alani <The Stormborn>

Snowy
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Alani <The Stormborn>

Unread post by Snowy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVzz1Jtit_o&feature=plcp

I know this isn't everyone's piece of cake, but I adore Baron's videos. I've been following his stuff for years. This video shows off the zone (and Alani!) really nicely. It made me think that it's good Baron was able to film all this on beta, because if he'd filmed it when it became live, it would probably be so hard to get Alani in the shots. She'd never be there! It's a shame it's almost impossible to create this kind of video for the Storm Peaks, featuring Time Lost, and Deepholm, featuring Aeonaxx. (Although I do believe there was once a Blizzard-created video showing off the new zones and Aeonaxx was visable in Deepholm... But I can't remember what video it was for the life of me. I'll try to find it!)

Anyway, the reason I posted this was mainly so I could show off Alani's beauty in this video, there's a good chunk of her in there!

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Well I’m no fan of zone/world drops. (I don’t even bother with the black tabby and was lucky enough to get my sprite darter before the change) but I can’t argue with a good method. Ten shards seem like a reasonable farm and if that’s the price I have to pay to noob-proof rare mounts then so be it. After all the times I lost time-lost to a questers who didn’t know what he was doing or some half hearted Aeonaxx camper who came by just in time to ninja- this it refreshing news.
It drives me crazy on mount hunts when people kill it and don’t know what it is. Or just people who halfheartedly camp for ten minutes and complain its taking too long then have the mount spawn right on top of them while you have been waiting for months. (Not that I’m opposed to people getting the mount so soon. I just hate it when it goes to someone who flat out tells you they don’t have the resolve to camp and that he better show up right now because they are bored.)
With this new method we can all rest relatively easy knowing that anyone who gets this mount worked just as hard as you to earn it.

P.S unless…is this a consumed on use item? If you can use it again after you got the mount then I can see people selling mount kills.

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'jaeden-A (US)

Unread post by Shadow »

In the videos, it's destroyed on use. What I'm worried about is if two people use it on the same time, trying to rush for a kill, and only one person gets it, the other loses their crystal :/ Situations like that...

Always be kind to your pets... or else.
When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning
And the future has passed without even a last desperate warning

Blog

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Shade ღ wrote:In the videos, it's destroyed on use. What I'm worried about is if two people use it on the same time, trying to rush for a kill, and only one person gets it, the other loses their crystal :/ Situations like that...
I think it'll literally be a 'first come, first serve' situation. Yes, two people can use them at the same time, but there will be milliseconds of difference, not to mention how much lag they have. It'll be like how Aeonaxx works I suppose. Only one person can mount him no matter what. Someone else can get there milliseconds later and still get the message to kill the whelps before they overwhelm you, but only one person can ever actually mount him and get the mount. At least I hope this is how it will work. I would be so pissed off if my crystal was consumed just because I clicked around the same time as someone else but they managed to tag it properly first. It'd probably be easy to do as well, since, judging by the videos, you can use the crystal from quite a distance away from Alani.

I honestly doubt this situation would be common though. The amount of people getting their crystals ready at the exact same time seems rather unlikely to me.

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shadow »

Yeah xD I wonder if I'll be one of those people who just gets drops for days and gets my crystal in a couple of days. I plan on grinding a lot of quests and scenarios on my hunter (Oh how I want those mounts...). It's all up to luck, of course.

It's the people who are working at it and get their crystals later on that makes me wonder, is all. Hopefully the tag is instant so that there's no server lag or things... about it.

Blog

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Everdeen wrote:
I honestly doubt this situation would be common though. The amount of people getting their crystals ready at the exact same time seems rather unlikely to me.
That depends on how often Alani spawns, honestly. if this is an every eight hours spawn? I can see people being OK and having enough time to 'get in there' without having to do a lot of camping. But if it's every, say, three or four days? Try and imagine how many people camp Time-Lost and Aeonaxx. Now imagine that group of people camping Alani. The longer she takes to spawn, the more time people will have to get crystals together.

It's definitely not as likely as, say, if it was a single bag-based drop, but with the shards being farmable objects (if incredibly rare spawns) I foresee a lot of people collecting their pieces to try and be the first. And if the spawn is every few days, they're not going to want to 'wait for the next one'.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Hrm. :/ We'll just have to wait and see what happens really. Some realms could be better than others. I know that some realms have a bunch of mount hoarders on them, and some others, almost no one really cares about mounts. And the only people who'll properly farm the shards are the mount hunters who are after Alani. It's not just a case of any random person can get it, which makes me happy.

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shadow »

I'm sure some random person will get shards, go "wtf?" then look up the mount on wowhead and figure it out. xD I'm sure there will be lots of people who "just get lucky" and kill it. I can also imagine, somehow, that they die during the encounter, lose their crystal... o.o Ugly stuff.

If one can assume that the current pets will get extended to a regular 12-72 hour spawn timer or somewhere in there... Alani's spawn timer is currently set to... 2 hours I think? So she should spawn much more often than the hunter pets do, in theory. Or around as often. And she's not a rare spawn of a rare spawn. When she's up, she's up, and I'm sure that she's going to give me a heart attack every time I fly around her with NPCScan... xD

Blog

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

I know this isn't the pet thread but I would honestly hate to see the timers get bumped up to 12+ hours. I kinda hope it has a Skarr/Karkin type of timer - 5+ hours. I say that because, not only are we waiting for the rare to spawn, but you have to find the damn thing too and flare it out before anyone else! But I suppose all we can do now is wait and see. (:

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shadow »

Eh. Me, I don't care that much xD About the timers. I'm going to camp it either way. And I'm going to be farming the hell out of rep so I feel as if I have a decent shot at Alani. Not to mention when I run heroics. I just hope that they don't DMF the crystals in instances and make people roll. It should just be a random one-person drop. :/

Blog

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I hope that once you tag Alani it will remain tagged even if you die. Since you have to land before you can tag the rare it will make you vulnerable to other players. It would be a shame if you farmed your shards on a pvp server and used the crystal only to have the apposing faction gank you and make it all reset.

It is nice to know they put a little more thought into it unlike the uldum camel and Aeonaxx. I have heard so many stories from friends about finding the lucky figurine and falling to their death, or having Aeonaxx despawn when they mounted and not being able to do anything about it but re-camp.
It sounds like a good idea and im pretty happy with it but players have a knack for finding ways to mess things up for each other. I’m sure someone will find a loophole sooner or later. /worried

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shadow »

Hah xD I didn't even think about that. I think I'll have to wait til some guildmates are online just to make sure I don't get griefed.

Blog

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

SylviaDragon wrote:I hope that once you tag Alani it will remain tagged even if you die. Since you have to land before you can tag the rare it will make you vulnerable to other players. It would be a shame if you farmed your shards on a pvp server and used the crystal only to have the apposing faction gank you and make it all reset.
The problem with that is if someone dies and isn't aware that the mob is still tagged as theirs, so they fly off thinking they missed their chance and they don't have a crystal so they can't try again anyway. It would remain as tagged and there would be nothing anyone else could do to reset it. :/ I know it sounds far fetched, but believe me, it would happen at *some* point!

I really can't think of anything that would be perfect for everyone in this situation. No matter what, there will always be griefers. They'll find their way around things one way or another.

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shadow »

I wonder how many people will attack the tagger and put a small dot on the mob and kite it around til it becomes their mob after killing the tagger...

Blog

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Shh! Don't give them ideas. (;

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shadow »

>.> I'm sorry! Dx

Blog