Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Re: Avatar the Last Airbender - Movie Discussion

Unread post by Nevar »

LOL Harpier!!!!!

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Dragonpuff
Haiku Master
Realm: Duskwood (US)
Location: On an undisclosed island that is being shredded by giant boss fights

Unread post by Dragonpuff »

Torachi wrote:
Dragonpuff wrote:The people they have look alright, yes, but they don't feel right to me.
Dragonpuff pretty much summed up all my feelings. I know I'll probably either love the movie, or despise it, after I've seen it. There have been a few where I went into the theater thinking they'd be terrible, and I ended up liking them... but there's also been some that I was looking forward to, saw in theaters, and hated how they came out.

As it stands at the moment, I'm feeling quite skeptical about it, but I'll still at least give it a chance.
We is two peas Torachi. I'm not as excited about this movie as when I first heard about it, but I'll give it a try.
But mind you Shamalan, this is your last chance! Screw this up, and that's all you get from me!
/shakes fist

Taz'dingu of the Petopians Guild, Nesingwary Server

Here there be Dragons (and Eggs)

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

I keep going back and forth on it personally. They have what...three previews out now? Each time I see one, I see something awesome, and then something that makes me cringe...and then the process repeats. I honestly don't know what to think of it. But Avatar is one of my favorite cartoons, and I'm just...I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm not even sure if I'll go see it, I still haven't decided.

A few things about image do bug me though. Not the casting; I'm kinda iffy on the casting too, but that's already been talked to death in this topic. No, the things that bug me are changes to ICONIC aspects of the characters. Katara's hair loopies are barely visible for example. Zuko's scar doesn't take up half his face, and he has an Important Haircut that won't happen now since he has a full head of hair. Iroh has dreads. Iroh has DREADS. WTF?

These are huge aspects to the characters! I understand that some of them have to be translated to real life, but come on...you only need a little extra time in makeup to get the full scar or a topknot or looser hair fringes. Srsly.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Nevar »

I think the scar thing is that Zuko's scar is so huge that they can only do so much before they make it look fake I suppose. I cant wait to see it though, I wont diss it because of who they picked for some of the characters. :)

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Dragonpuff
Haiku Master
Realm: Duskwood (US)
Location: On an undisclosed island that is being shredded by giant boss fights

Unread post by Dragonpuff »

VelkynKarma wrote:Zuko's scar doesn't take up half his face, and he has an Important Haircut that won't happen now since he has a full head of hair.
These are huge aspects to the characters!
The exact same thing I thought when I finally got a good look at Zuko. The hair thing was personally a big disappointment for me, because him cutting it symbolizing a big change in his character, but I didn't post anything about it specifically because I thought it was me just having one of my nit-picky moments... Glad I'm not alone on that, at least. ^o^
Plus, if a human can gradually be changed to look like a giant insect-humanoid creature in things like District 9, I fully believe that with the right makeup artists, Zuko could have a reasonable half-face scar.

Taz'dingu of the Petopians Guild, Nesingwary Server

Here there be Dragons (and Eggs)

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Oh gods no .. you linked TV Tropes! No! Must .. resist .. reading tropes for the next three hours! Aigh!