Direhorn skin changes?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Direhorn skin changes?

Unread post by Wain »

I should add that the original skin files were removed and replaced with these. It seems odd that perfectly lovely skin files were removed entirely, rather than retained for use elsewhere. If it's deliberate than it's a real shame.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

After seeing Veph's comparrison, I defiantly like the old green dire horn much better. :(. The new color scheme almos looks evil. I might even just get the red instead of the green now.

The blue one looks sharper now though IMO.
Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I never thought I'd say that I prefer a pastel shade to a darker one, but it has happened now. These changes are really disappointing, and I think the green dire horn most of all. While I like the new skin, and it's certainly not a dealbreaker, the entire wow-factor just disappeared, and I'm sad that the red eyes are no longer so bright and eye-popping as they were on the bright green skin. Also, the black stripes look very artifical.

The devilsaur is also a little depressing. The blue was eye-catching enough to make me want it, despite all the pastel shades, but I admit that this is not a bad colour either.

I just hope against hope they don't touch the red dire horn.
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

Mozag wrote:I never thought I'd say that I prefer a pastel shade to a darker one, but it has happened now. These changes are really disappointing, and I think the green dire horn most of all. While I like the new skin, and it's certainly not a dealbreaker, the entire wow-factor just disappeared, and I'm sad that the red eyes are no longer so bright and eye-popping as they were on the bright green skin. Also, the black stripes look very artifical.

I just hope against hope they don't touch the red dire horn.
You captured my sentiments verbatim. :-(
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

It's not just the Dire Horns that were affected. *All* the creatures on the island are darker than they were. The flying ones, the Devilsaurs, the Dire Horns. And I think it's across the board. I actually wondered if it was an accidental filter that had been added or something. But if skins had to be manually replaced, it was probably intended. Which is a pity. :( I *loved* the old blue and green.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

It's an ALLY DIREHORN! /hug :D

Come, sweetheart, let's go shoot some belfs.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

I'mma say that I'm disappointed as well on the blue devil, but overall, I'm still going to tame it. :3 It's not as eyecatching as it was and I see no reason to have changed it if it was 'too bright'. We have a BRIGHT WHITE one for Thrall's sake. Glad I got some pics with it on the PTR before the change! I have very mingled feelings about it right now.

[Still waiting on a blood red devilsaur with black stripes and a new model white with purple. Haha.]

On the other hand, the darker skin on the direhorn is a deal breaker with the blue for me...I wasn't fond of the yellow stripes on it to begin with, but I really liked the overall skintone and the stripes weren't very BAM. THERE. HOWEVER, OMG THAT GREEN AND BLACK. I absolutely love the idea of 'warpaint' even though I know it's not intended to be warpaint at all. It gives it a little extra personality to me.

I would like to hope that these aren't completely finished yet if the details have been lost, but....why would they upload them if they weren't? That seems....odd.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

I wasn't a fan of the green dire horn, but with this change, I think that's the one I'd tame! It looks much less technicolor, and much more like an actual animal.

Though I agree, all versions should be kept in the files, in case we need more skins in the future, like all the new basilisk combinations we got in 5.1 (IIRC).
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Looking at the compare, I really don't like the new ones. Originally I was debating between the red, green and blue, but now it looks like it'll be the red...the stripes don't look quite natural anymore to me...
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

I don't mind the darker colors but they don't look right. I really hated the yellow stripes on the old blue direhorn and i think the green one has a potential to look better this way it just comes out off.

Dark blue devilsaur is nice in theory but the way it came out i think the old one looks better.

(Blue/green are the only two colors I generally like too! Damnit XD)
ImageImage
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

I think honestly they're trying to make the dinosaurs look more "primal" than they originally were. I admit the brightness of some of the skins before looked way too silly to appeal to me, though the Green Direhorn and Black Devilsaur called to me. In which case, I like the green Direhorn much more now.

Also, I think they should've went a different route and made the darker skins more of another "rare tracking" on the Isle. As these Direhorns are more darker and therefor deeper in the "Dinosaur jungle" I guess you could say. Then everyone is happy.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Yeah... Looking at the comparison image I'd really rather they had just left everything alone. The dark stripes and darker green are cool with the direhorn but the red eyes just don't look good with it. Branko will be green either way but I'm a little disappointed.
I do also have to agree with the stripes looking somewhat artificial. Perhaps if it were a darker shade of green it'd look better. =/
But if anything, I really wish the eye color would change now. The red is just really weird with the new green.

I hope that maybe they'll bring back the old ones bit still keep the new ones so that everyone is happy, though.

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

TheDoomcookie wrote: I hope that maybe they'll bring back the old ones bit still keep the new ones so that everyone is happy, though.
Agreed 100%.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

My impression from looking at these is that they are a work-in-progress, like they are experimenting with different things right now. Reminds me of all the changes to the Quilen skellie in beta :)
Fafnir
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Fafnir »

Huh, looking at the before/now comparisons is looks like texture dudes just did a global desaturate/darken job on the skin aside from the stripes. Unfortunately that sort of photoshop job will kill the nice contrasts since WoW models don't use bump map tech or even spec maps.

Probably though, they're just messing with different color combinations to make their colors a bit more naturalistic. That ugly dark green on grape tricky especially looks like an error by the texture artist saving the stripe layer as no-filter rather than as a Hue filter (hue with that dark green would recreate that original aqua blue stripes of the original).
Last edited by Fafnir on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Wain wrote:I should add that the original skin files were removed and replaced with these. It seems odd that perfectly lovely skin files were removed entirely, rather than retained for use elsewhere. If it's deliberate than it's a real shame.
^ This. I have this gut feeling that somewhere, someone accidentally overwrote some files that they weren't supposed to, or made an error while saving the new skin files.

I agree about the darker blue devilsaur looking like it has some kind of filter over it. The eyes and over all contrast doesn't look right. (Even if I do prefer the over all darker colour, the previous one looked more finished or "proper" or suchlike.)
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I kind of like the black stripes on the green body. It almost looks like you put camo paint on your pet.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Oohhh... my future direhorn was just improved! The green one looks so much better with those darker stripes. :D

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

TheDoomcookie wrote:Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it would seem Branko's blue stripes have been replaced with black stripes. O.o (I gotta say I kind of like it)
This cements it for me. My dire horn will be green!
SetsunaChan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by SetsunaChan »

I kinda like the darker Blue Devilsaur compared to the original pastel color :oops: because it looks now like polished lapis lazuli. Same goes for the Direhorns I much prefer the darker shades. But at the same time not happy we'll lose the lighter/pastels that others want too.