Why doesn't Blizzard shut these people down?

Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Why doesn't Blizzard shut these people down?

Unread post by Loki »

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/216-od ... s-from-wow

Check this out. Massive blatent theft of WoW models for their characters, mobs and mounts, and it's not the first game I've seen this happen in. It's not a fan game or a parody or anything, so how are they allowed to continue? Can't Blizzard sue them or something?

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Why doesn't Blizzard shut these people down?

Unread post by Lisaara »

Possibly. You might wanna post it on the forums or something.

EDIT: Woooow....my fiance and I just looked through all of that and holy crap they blatantly ripped off of WoW's models. Like almost completely minus a horn or recolor. That's just....wow...and reading the commentary by the owner of Odin Quest just makes me wanna slap him.
Last edited by Lisaara on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Sar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Sar »

I dare say Blizz will take some form of action, if they haven't already.
Social Media: YouTube | Twitter | Nerd Rooted
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Zhinru »

Wow, that's really blatant. They're probably in for a process in about ten seconds. Unless they're Chinese, there's some weird copyright laws there.
Sar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Sar »

Weird as in none? :P
Social Media: YouTube | Twitter | Nerd Rooted
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

http://oq.youjoy.com/

I just watched the vid....HOLY CRAP they stole A LOT. They even stole from an anime game I've seen before(I forget it's name) and warhammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... R7sj9FKt_I

Enjoy ripping it to shreds.

LisaaraPokefarm

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

omfg you can see the Alliance lion on one of those swords ahahahahha you tried.

Really though, it's kind of distressing how blatant it is. If you're going to steal I dunno, EVERYTHING from a game, at least try to be subtle?
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Azunara wrote:omfg you can see the Alliance lion on one of those swords ahahahahha you tried.

Really though, it's kind of distressing how blatant it is. If you're going to steal I dunno, EVERYTHING from a game, at least try to be subtle?
Seriously. This is beyond bad. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

I remember playing an MMO recently where some of their icons (particularly mount ones) were definitely the WoW icons, but I figured Blizzard probably doesn't care too much about some icons in a free MMO.

This might be different... eesh.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

This MMO isn't 100% free. You have to buy mounts and stuff from them.

LisaaraPokefarm

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Neilaren wrote:I remember playing an MMO recently where some of their icons (particularly mount ones) were definitely the WoW icons, but I figured Blizzard probably doesn't care too much about some icons in a free MMO.

I like how the turtle mount and lady bug one both have horses as their icons. Hey, if you're going to steal icons, you should at least snatch that turtle one!

Wow, I'm real critical about these people sucking at stealing, aren't I?
Edanna
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bored of all gaming, what else is new XD

Unread post by Edanna »

There's an iPad app game that I have called blade of darkness shadow land which totally stole the tarantula model from wow... Not sure if they stole anything else as I'm like level 5.

Has nothing to do with the topic just remembered and felt like mentioning.
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

Azunara wrote:
Neilaren wrote:I remember playing an MMO recently where some of their icons (particularly mount ones) were definitely the WoW icons, but I figured Blizzard probably doesn't care too much about some icons in a free MMO.

I like how the turtle mount and lady bug one both have horses as their icons. Hey, if you're going to steal icons, you should at least snatch that turtle one!

Wow, I'm real critical about these people sucking at stealing, aren't I?
Oh man, it's all kinds of wrong on those icons. The Steam Racer I honestly don't remember in terms of looks but it most certainly was not an elephant. :lol:
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Omg One of the character models was a blood elf bwhahaha! All of the maps look like those from Warcraft too 0.o

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

This is hilarious the warlock demons are even on their website. I don't think they will be able to get away with this. I think they took char models from other games too.
Thorka
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Thorka »

The same thing happened awhile ago with Team Fortress 2. It got ripped off by 'Final Combat'. While I don't recall if it ever got shut down or sued by Valve, I do know that the whole hullabaloo over it already dwindled.
If 'Odin Quest' is to follow the same fate, I'm guessing we could see the last of it in a few months or so, depending on whether or not Blizzard decides to take action. As far as MMOs go, this one looks pretty mediocre. The video in particular did nothing at all to capture my attention in the slightest.

Icon by Seilahyn! Signature by Vephriel.

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I like their complete inability to correctly spell "registration".

So pro. Really. /deadpan

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

*giggles* I saw that too. I wouldn't pay a dime to these people....hehe!

LisaaraPokefarm

Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Unread post by Lazurianis »

This is copyright infringement, piracy, AND theft all in a nutshell. They didn't change the models enough, there for, it is copyright, for more information on copyright infringement, see here: Link - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement).

Long wall of text inc:
(I do not own this content, and have no intentions of plagiarism, -- http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/504)

17 USC § 504 - Remedies for Infringement: Damages and Profits - states:

(a) In General.— Except as otherwise provided by this title, an infringer of copyright is liable for either—
(1) the copyright owner’s actual damages and any additional profits of the infringer, as provided by subsection (b); or
(2) statutory damages, as provided by subsection (c).
(b) Actual Damages and Profits.— The copyright owner is entitled to recover the actual damages suffered by him or her as a result of the infringement, and any profits of the infringer that are attributable to the infringement and are not taken into account in computing the actual damages. In establishing the infringer’s profits, the copyright owner is required to present proof only of the infringer’s gross revenue, and the infringer is required to prove his or her deductible expenses and the elements of profit attributable to factors other than the copyrighted work.
(c) Statutory Damages.—
(1) Except as provided by clause (2) of this subsection, the copyright owner may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of actual damages and profits, an award of statutory damages for all infringements involved in the action, with respect to any one work, for which any one infringer is liable individually, or for which any two or more infringers are liable jointly and severally, in a sum of not less than $750 or more than $30,000 as the court considers just. For the purposes of this subsection, all the parts of a compilation or derivative work constitute one work.
(2) In a case where the copyright owner sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that infringement was committed willfully, the court in its discretion may increase the award of statutory damages to a sum of not more than $150,000. In a case where the infringer sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that such infringer was not aware and had no reason to believe that his or her acts constituted an infringement of copyright, the court in its discretion may reduce the award of statutory damages to a sum of not less than $200. The court shall remit statutory damages in any case where an infringer believed and had reasonable grounds for believing that his or her use of the copyrighted work was a fair use under section 107, if the infringer was:
(i) an employee or agent of a nonprofit educational institution, library, or archives acting within the scope of his or her employment who, or such institution, library, or archives itself, which infringed by reproducing the work in copies or phonorecords; or
(ii) a public broadcasting entity which or a person who, as a regular part of the nonprofit activities of a public broadcasting entity (as defined in section 118 (f)) infringed by performing a published nondramatic literary work or by reproducing a transmission program embodying a performance of such a work.
(3)
(A) In a case of infringement, it shall be a rebuttable presumption that the infringement was committed willfully for purposes of determining relief if the violator, or a person acting in concert with the violator, knowingly provided or knowingly caused to be provided materially false contact information to a domain name registrar, domain name registry, or other domain name registration authority in registering, maintaining, or renewing a domain name used in connection with the infringement.
(B) Nothing in this paragraph limits what may be considered willful infringement under this subsection.
(C) For purposes of this paragraph, the term “domain name” has the meaning given that term in section 45 of the Act entitled “An Act to provide for the registration and protection of trademarks used in commerce, to carry out the provisions of certain international conventions, and for other purposes” approved July 5, 1946 (commonly referred to as the “Trademark Act of 1946”; 15 U.S.C. 1127).
(d) Additional Damages in Certain Cases.— In any case in which the court finds that a defendant proprietor of an establishment who claims as a defense that its activities were exempt under section 110 (5) did not have reasonable grounds to believe that its use of a copyrighted work was exempt under such section, the plaintiff shall be entitled to, in addition to any award of damages under this section, an additional award of two times the amount of the license fee that the proprietor of the establishment concerned should have paid the plaintiff for such use during the preceding period of up to 3 years.

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by leaponover »

There is something dreadfully wrong...... Watch this video?!?!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqtZhAQuWjY

The bosses name is Ragnaros in the video with the hell hounds!!!!!