Does anyone else here solo Valithria in ICC?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Does anyone else here solo Valithria in ICC?

Unread post by Quiv »

There is a change in the latest patch (http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/313 ... ly-Roundup) that I think could possibly break hunter soloing this encounter.
Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)

Dismiss Pet now has a 3 sec cast time (up from 2 sec). This is to discourage swapping pets in the middle of PvP to get a different form of CC.
I have done it but it seems like a very tight fight as is, adding a second onto every second dismiss pet (and theres something in the neighborhood of 50 required I think?) will just prolong the fight that much more, and the "enrage" of adds. Not trying to scream "sky is falling" but this annoys me lol

I understand why they do it though. sigh
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Does anyone else here solo Valithria in ICC?

Unread post by Slickrock »

Quivering wrote:I understand why they do it though. sigh
And I really disagree with them doing it. Far too many things get screwed because of PVP tears.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Well, Quiv, you'll be getting better gear in the new patch as well, which means the actual killing part will take less time, so in theory, it should even out in the end, no? Or save a haste buff for that, on top of the added damage.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

I really hate how they screw pve over cause of pvp. The 2 sec dismiss pet is annoying enough in raid where you have to dismiss your pet to take out your quilen for brez. In 25 mans you can have the luxiary of having whatever pet you want out but in 10 mans most times you have to bring what is needed and not every class can brez. Taking 3 secs to stop all dps and then work on finding the body to rez sucks.. I really hope they increase the range of quilens cause it is not even close to as far as it should be.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Kalliope wrote:Well, Quiv, you'll be getting better gear in the new patch as well, which means the actual killing part will take less time, so in theory, it should even out in the end, no? Or save a haste buff for that, on top of the added damage.
I didn't realize spirit mend scaled with gear, I thought it was static based on level. That will make quite a difference too. Whether or not itll even out, i guess we will see.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Quivering wrote:
Kalliope wrote:Well, Quiv, you'll be getting better gear in the new patch as well, which means the actual killing part will take less time, so in theory, it should even out in the end, no? Or save a haste buff for that, on top of the added damage.
I didn't realize spirit mend scaled with gear, I thought it was static based on level. That will make quite a difference too. Whether or not itll even out, i guess we will see.
Well, it's that and physically doing more damage to her, which shortens the fight. Plus you get more hp to help with the ambient damage.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Sasrei wrote:I really hate how they screw pve over cause of pvp. The 2 sec dismiss pet is annoying enough in raid where you have to dismiss your pet to take out your quilen for brez. In 25 mans you can have the luxiary of having whatever pet you want out but in 10 mans most times you have to bring what is needed and not every class can brez. Taking 3 secs to stop all dps and then work on finding the body to rez sucks.. I really hope they increase the range of quilens cause it is not even close to as far as it should be.
Ugh I can agree with you there. The quilen B-rez is so buggy that I have considered just getting rid of mine. I can easily spend a good two minutes trying to get him to use the stupid thing and in the end I just let the dk or druid do it.
“Out of range. Out of range. Out of range.”
“Get over here!” *sets pet to passive*
“Out of range. Not in line of sight. Out of range. Not in line of sight”
* runs over to the body*
“out of range.”
"Oh come on you are practically humping the corpse!"
“…invalid target.”

As for the nerf, it’s stupid. It’s more of an annoyance to pve than a discouragement to pvp and I say this as someone who loves a good raid between arenas and rbgs. In arenas I take an extra spirit beast with me so I can switch out for an extra emergency heal.
Two seconds is a bigger cast time than you would think when you have two intelligent players wailing on you. Out of the few hundred arenas I have done, I can only recall about ten where I actually had time to safely switch pets. I probably only won a grand total of two games thanks to such a switch, it’s a lot of hassle. It will take luck and skills to switch out pets mid fight as it is and I doubt an extra second will do much more than annoy hunters in a pve environment. Pvpers will still switch pets if they want to.
Make it a pvp only nerf if it is really such a big dea, but I don’t see resto druids getting a shapehft nerf and they jump between cat and bear all the time. This just seems…overdramatic.

Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Tsuki »

Eugh.
I saw that, and I was actually groaned. PvP is ruining a lot of PvE and RP stuff. I just wish they could make the abilities different if in or out of PvP (but then again, PvP servers would break that... maybe just for Arenas and BGs?) Or at least make out of combat dismiss pet normal/shorter/instant.

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

Aggietallboy
Realm: Drak'Thul

Unread post by Aggietallboy »

This is my first week trying to solo ICC...

I've managed all up to Valithria, watching Durendil and Caribald -- coming to the conclusion that they're a lot faster twitch than me :)

To make up for that I had thought of trying a macro:

/castsequence [@focus,exists,help] reset=15 Call Pet 1, Spirit Mend, Dismiss Pet, Call Pet 2, Spirit Mend, Dismiss Pet, Call Pet 3, Spirit Mend, Dismiss Pet, Call Pet 4, Spirit Mend, Dismiss Pet, Call Pet 5, Spirit Mend, Dismiss Pet

Keeps getting stuck ... if Spirit Mend is on CD then it won't do anything, if pet is out it will just get stuck trying to summon pet....

Any thoughts/feedback would be awesome!! :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

It took me a while to get it right, and its only been a handful of successful times, its a challenge still. And I always hit the add enrage, and im ilvl 489.

Only macros I used are one that target sappers and use arcane shot, and one that targets Val and casts spirit mend. I also use thrill of the hunt for cheap arcane/multi shots.

I hope with the gear inflation, itll be as Kali suggests: Quicker add kills will negate the addition ~50 seconds from this nerf.

The vid I watched was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZE7z3XP4g
leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by leaponover »

Sasrei wrote:I really hate how they screw pve over cause of pvp. The 2 sec dismiss pet is annoying enough in raid where you have to dismiss your pet to take out your quilen for brez. In 25 mans you can have the luxiary of having whatever pet you want out but in 10 mans most times you have to bring what is needed and not every class can brez. Taking 3 secs to stop all dps and then work on finding the body to rez sucks.. I really hope they increase the range of quilens cause it is not even close to as far as it should be.
I don't understand why you aren't just rolling with the Quilen? I just use it in all my raiding...what are you using that is so much more valuable and worth the trouble of pulling out the quilen only for brez's????
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

leaponover wrote:
I don't understand why you aren't just rolling with the Quilen? I just use it in all my raiding...what are you using that is so much more valuable and worth the trouble of pulling out the quilen only for brez's????
Hunter pets are meant to be a choice. We're supposed to be allowed to use the pet we like. :P

That, and most raids do not carry all of the buffs, and rely on hunters to fill in the void.
leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by leaponover »

Myzou wrote:
leaponover wrote:
Hunter pets are meant to be a choice. We're supposed to be allowed to use the pet we like. :P

That, and most raids do not carry all of the buffs, and rely on hunters to fill in the void.
Yeah, was kind of hoping to hear what he/she is using...my raid group hasn't asked me to provide any buffs yet and don't seem to need the Quilen but I think it's the most valuable ability out of any as it is. Our group is new though so maybe they will ask me to roll with something more useful in the future. I could truly care less what pet I use, as long as it matches my transmog colors lol!!!