Varethyn's Sketchpad

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Varethyn's Sketchpad

Unread post by Varethyn »

It's been a long time in coming, and I know some here were quite interested in seeing more of my art after the failed PetEmote Illustrations attempt. Again, ironically, I am suffering artblock so updates will be slow. Hopefully in posting a few things here I'll regain some inspiration :3

First of all my elven mains.
My sweet, shy hunter, Varethyn Swiftrunner (left) and my rather more outgoing and cocky paladin, Kithren Dawnweaver (right).

Old work is old but I am still happy with some of them. Such as my very first WoW drawing for one Azunara

This is Kethtaz, a worgen death knight for the lovely TygerDarkstorm

A lot of my work is based off an RP I'm part of elsewhere, so expect a lot of that :P First a very random piece inspired by random OOC comments for the WoW RP that used to go on here

And another, less random one

Kith's in love with a human warlock. The irony. He don't care though

A young orc by the name of Kinsy got mixed up in the wrong kind of action and sought solace from Var

Followed by a dip in the nearby river (dat hair, Var!)

And some random stuff for your admiration/amusement

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Re: Varethyn's Sketchpad

Unread post by Rhyela »

Varethyn wrote:And some random stuff for your admiration/amusement
This one cracked me up! :D

Your art looks great! I really love your style. :3

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Hee, I love seeing your work, Vare. :) Kethtaz looks like a badass and the pieces with Kinsy and Vare together are so cute. <3

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

Cool stuff. That's the kind of style I'm shooting at when I try my hand at drawing, but I either overdo the details or miss the mark on general feel of the piece.
Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

oh wow-- love your work; the chibi are sooooo kawaii! :D

If you ever do comissions when I am again employed, I may lay down in the middle of the road to wait for a slot ::grin:: The way you draw their faces-- the expressions are lovely.
Nefretiti
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

I still have the drawing you did of Neffie and her worm Ay :D I lovelove your style, so talented
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

Snowbird
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill (Horde)Ravencrest (Ally)

Unread post by Snowbird »

i like ur style! looks good!! i love that Belf character!

Signature Made By Senenith

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thanks all for the positive comments! :D

Rhyela: Kithren is a bit of a twit who aims to please, so it only felt right that he'd attempt Gangnam Style xD Glad you found it as humorous as I'd hoped it to be :3

Tyger: Totally not biased, right? ;) Thanks <3

Zhinru: That's awesome, it is a lovely style. It is hard to get the details right sometimes, depending on what you're drawing. I'm terrible at armour, for instance, which is why Kith is in casual clothes most of the time. There's no need to go overboard if it ends up looking crowded, and sometimes empty gaps work. Try to keep things as simple as possible without losing the general idea, perhaps only suggesting detail here and there.

Arisia: Aww thanks! Believe it or not that was my first time attempting the chibi style. Good to know it came out well. As for commissions... much as I appreciate your love for my work (please don't lie in the road for me!) I've learned the hard way that I cannot keep up with requests D: Sorry :(

Moila: Thank you! Which one? They're both BElves :P The one with the long, straight ponytail and human-like eyes is my hunter, Varethyn, and the one with the wild foxtail and (supposed to be, at least) glowing eyes is my paladin, Kithren.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

The way you draw chibi-Kith really makes me think of a WoW comic and the pose/way they depict their characters like that. :lol: Its spot on! Really good though!
Last edited by Silivren on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

Varethyn wrote:Zhinru: That's awesome, it is a lovely style. It is hard to get the details right sometimes, depending on what you're drawing. I'm terrible at armour, for instance, which is why Kith is in casual clothes most of the time. There's no need to go overboard if it ends up looking crowded, and sometimes empty gaps work. Try to keep things as simple as possible without losing the general idea, perhaps only suggesting detail here and there.
Easier said than done! :P
Magli
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonrunner

Unread post by Magli »

I like your art, Varethyn--it's a very even line, almost Herge-like, but with Japanese influences as well. Very cool.

Although I have to admit that your hunter is probably the first "sweet, shy" belf I've ever seen described. They tend to be arrogant bastards.

Thanks to Kurenio for the signature!

It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

Varethyn wrote: Arisia: Aww thanks! Believe it or not that was my first time attempting the chibi style. Good to know it came out well. As for commissions... much as I appreciate your love for my work (please don't lie in the road for me!) I've learned the hard way that I cannot keep up with requests D: Sorry :(
Trust me, I understand-- and right now, no way in heck could I ever afford to commission you even if you were given the gift of all the time you needed. LOL

I've just collected small art of my hunter, Arisia, and her relationships with her pets since she was made; I figure if, in the far, far future you ever DO open commissions, I'll be there waiting. ::grin:: I just like your clean lines and the way you capture emotion in their faces - the glee on the drae and the fox as a really GOOD example, if I might :D

So its not a request, per se, more of me hoping, in the future, for it to happen -- never ever think it is me poking anxiously, or being an irritant. ;D

And I get the happy of seeing your work when you post it, no matter what!
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Magli wrote:I like your art, Varethyn--it's a very even line, almost Herge-like, but with Japanese influences as well. Very cool.

Although I have to admit that your hunter is probably the first "sweet, shy" belf I've ever seen described. They tend to be arrogant bastards.
Thanks! I was inspired by various animes and, believe it or not, the artwork in the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time instruction booklet xD

True enough. I just can't stand the stereotypical personality of the male BElf and figured, hey they can't all be like that. There's bound to be some who don't act the same way. Plus I like to be different.
Arisia wrote:Trust me, I understand-- and right now, no way in heck could I ever afford to commission you even if you were given the gift of all the time you needed. LOL

I've just collected small art of my hunter, Arisia, and her relationships with her pets since she was made; I figure if, in the far, far future you ever DO open commissions, I'll be there waiting. ::grin:: I just like your clean lines and the way you capture emotion in their faces - the glee on the drae and the fox as a really GOOD example, if I might

So its not a request, per se, more of me hoping, in the future, for it to happen -- never ever think it is me poking anxiously, or being an irritant. ;D

And I get the happy of seeing your work when you post it, no matter what!
Maybe one day :)

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Rose isn't that arrogant or conceited. >_> :P

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Sort-of reference piece to show the height difference between my two elves. And me. Who stands at a staggering 5'1" \o/

Nahale
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Nahale »

Last edited by Nahale on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Allow me to say that your shirt is awesome!!! :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Nahale wrote:I can't really speak eloquently about art. So, suffice to say that I love your style! You do such a great job showing how the characters are feeling.
Thanks! I love drawing expressions, they're so fun and add so much feeling to the piece.
Rhyela wrote:Allow me to say that your shirt is awesome!!! :D
You and everyone else! :lol: Thanks Rhy :3 If anyone else is interested I happened upon it randomly while surfing Amazon xD

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Phew it's been a while. I haven't been able to get much in the way of art done due to fickle mood swings and minor bouts of depression. That said, I've finally been able to pick up my pencil and get something done! This one's for you Pokémon fans. Partly. It's fan art for a YouTuber I'm currently following :)

Anyone who follows Marriland might recognise these guys from his Emerald Nuzlocke and HeartGold Wedlocke challenges. If you don't follow him but know what these challenges are, these are the survivors of said challenges, those original team members that stuck it out to the end.

If you don't know what a Nuzlocke or Wedlocke challenge is and are interested to know, have a look at Marriland's Nuzlocke and Wedlocke rules videos. Be aware that there are many other variants - these are simply the "basic" rules of the challenge :)

Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

I really like this Vare. I've used Marriland's guides a lot of the time, but I never really watched his videos. Going to have to start now I think.