Hunter Talent Updates

For discussion of the upcoming 5.3 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Re: Hunter Talent Updates

Unread post by Aggannor »

I think I just realized the reason of this change.

Let's look what Blizz has done to hunters:
1)Made all specks more or less viable.
2)Gave us cool pets.
3)Stampede. Doesn't need to be explained.
4)Increased stable space.
5)etc. etc.

So clearly, Blizzard is trying to make it so that we don't run out of things to complain!

But seriously, more I think these new changes, less I like them. Who picks stun with 1 minute cooldown over interrupt with 24 second cooldown?
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Aggannor wrote:I think I just realized the reason of this change.

Let's look what Blizz has done to hunters:
1)Made all specks more or less viable.
2)Gave us cool pets.
3)Stampede. Doesn't need to be explained.
4)Increased stable space.
5)etc. etc.

So clearly, Blizzard is trying to make it so that we don't run out of things to complain!

But seriously, more I think these new changes, less I like them. Who picks stun with 1 minute cooldown over interrupt with 24 second cooldown?
Seems legit.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

Notice an interesting Blue Tweet from MMO-Champion:
just want to say stupid move on the hunter changes in 5.3. even more stuns for any spec. not fun when you get perma stunlock
They have to give up Silencing Shot to take the stun. Not sure you'll see that many take that trade.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Aggannor wrote:Notice an interesting Blue Tweet from MMO-Champion:
just want to say stupid move on the hunter changes in 5.3. even more stuns for any spec. not fun when you get perma stunlock
They have to give up Silencing Shot to take the stun. Not sure you'll see that many take that trade.
Except MM gets the binding shot stun too....I detect incoming PvP screaming. Possibly.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

Which puts into doubt why would they do it at all. Last I heard they wanted to do more alternatives to silencing shot, not less.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

"Don't complain! We just made an 'alternative' that no one will take!"
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

This whole change and the ideas behind it are just not making any sense... Hunter's hate it cause we think it's bad for us, outsiders hate it bc they think it'll be OP giving us an all-spec stun... I don't get what's happening, Just revert the changes blizz. -_-

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

This outcry over the Intimidation change has been an interesting read for me because I cannot understand the "cannot solo rares" angle.

Losing a skill you like and have come to love and now have to choose, I get why that is frustrating. I don't like that change, doesn't make much sense to me, and I rarely go BM. I get this angle.

But this change making things unsoloable? I haven't played BM on either of the hunter I leveled and I have solo'd all the rares in Pandaria without much issue. Farmed the ones in Dread Waste and Vale over and over to get their (supposed) item to drop. I'm not trying to be "that guy" (and I don't think its an issue of skill at all), but I really can't understand this angle. If Survival can, since 5.0, solo all these rares in all manner of gear, then BM with this change should be able to as well. Honestly, I thought the rares were cake due to how the hunter class is set up. The "devastating" AOE they do is laughable on pets (5.2 exception below), and the only spells I interrupt are the Jinyu torrent and Pandaren heal. Rain dance on Jinyu is the only other thing I watch for, otherwise tank spec, mend pet and dps.

Also, this is assuming the rares haven't changed in 5.2. The only rares I still want stuff from is Sahn in Vale and that mogu with the 500stat item in Valley, so I haven't been doing the circuit on them like I was in 5.0 and 5.1. Have they changed? I just don't understand why this makes them unsoloable when other specs do it.

That being said, I don't know if its a bug with avoidance, but the Panderen spinning kick that deals full damage to pets is insanely annoying now, but still doable (just did Skymirror on my ilvl 445 hunter). I think this started in 5.2, but idk. (but this is off topic)
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

So.. if no one will take then why the heck change it? Like really.. I don't understand blizz sometimes... its more like they just try and think of ways to tick off people lol

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

The Pandaren rares in the Vale and Dread Wastes were impossible for me to solo as BM. any interrupt other than Silencing Shot was useless against the heal as they would instantly do the heal as soon as Intimidation or Scatter Shot wore off. I couldn't get the cooldowns to match up and needed help from a bear Druid to kill either one of them. These changes will make such things even harder.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Against the Pandaren rares, I found myself needing to macro my Shale spider's stun into a button of mine and turn it's autocast off, even with SS and Inti. and Scatter. I did not have the capabilities to burn down the Vale Pandaren until I manually cast my THIRD interrupt (Scatter on first kick, then SS to stop heal, Inti on 2nd Kick then SS, Web Wrap on 3rd, then SS, rinse wash repeat.) Losing one will certainly make this not an easy task.

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

FYI, Intimidation was helpful for Pandaren rares not for the heal - for that you better bring Silencing Shot AND a pet with interrupt. It's about stopping the spinning crane kick once it goes into channel phase. Stunning the mob during the channel (not the cast) will cause it to not repeat. If you don't stop the kick from executing, your pet will die to the AoE (and no, it won't get out of its range in time).

Just thought that may explain some things.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I must be missing something. How has Survival been dealing with DW/Vale races of Panda race without Intimidation all this time?

Edit: Saw Zhinru's explanation of how Intim is used. Still begs the question how specs without Intim have been killing Pandaren race rares in DW/Vale without the extra stun since the change to Spinning Kick that makes it kill pets.

Have y'all tried kiting with concussive shot? That can be done regardless of spec (granted BM may take a tad longer due to losing its signature "shot") and makes the spinning kick no threat since you stay ahead of it. And kiting can be done on both the Panderen race rares in DW/Vale. By no means impossible though. Non BM have to kite the Pandaren race rares in 5.2 anyway, can't pet tank due to the spinning kick.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Quivering wrote:I must be missing something. How has Survival been dealing with DW/Vale races of Panda race without Intimidation all this time?
You did not really need Intimidation to kill them before the latest patch. It's only now you kinda need it. It really is that damn spinning kick change :lol: Have no clue why they changed that.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

My view is BM has had it for like forever and a half, and now its being taken away so some other spec can have a slow/stun built in. If they had just made SS mainstream for all specs and replaced Intimidation with it as a talent option I would be OK with that for a change, but what they have done is just plain stupid. :mrgreen:

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Gimlion wrote:Against the Pandaren rares, I found myself needing to macro my Shale spider's stun into a button of mine and turn it's autocast off, even with SS and Inti. and Scatter. I did not have the capabilities to burn down the Vale Pandaren until I manually cast my THIRD interrupt (Scatter on first kick, then SS to stop heal, Inti on 2nd Kick then SS, Web Wrap on 3rd, then SS, rinse wash repeat.) Losing one will certainly make this not an easy task.
My problem was I couldn't tell what they preparing to cast and kept using Silencing and/or my stuns at the wrong time and not having them available when they were actually needed. Coupled with the fact that due to nonexistent keyboard skills making only 6 or 7 key binds possible (no combination key presses and none of the key binds set to stuns or interrupts) made those rares impossible to solo.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Danielfboone wrote:
Gimlion wrote:Against the Pandaren rares, I found myself needing to macro my Shale spider's stun into a button of mine and turn it's autocast off, even with SS and Inti. and Scatter. I did not have the capabilities to burn down the Vale Pandaren until I manually cast my THIRD interrupt (Scatter on first kick, then SS to stop heal, Inti on 2nd Kick then SS, Web Wrap on 3rd, then SS, rinse wash repeat.) Losing one will certainly make this not an easy task.
My problem was I couldn't tell what they preparing to cast and kept using Silencing and/or my stuns at the wrong time and not having them available when they were actually needed. Coupled with the fact that due to nonexistent keyboard skills making only 6 or 7 key binds possible (no combination key presses and none of the key binds set to stuns or interrupts) made those rares impossible to solo.
Oh, well I have PvP addons that show target enemies casting, and what they're casting, so I know exactly when to cast what. That said, I still have a hard time picturing this being done without intim.

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

So... people were complaining warlocks and hunters could solo the Pandaren rares without trouble.

...so they nerfed Avoidance, making it impossible to solo unless you were BM. (Warlocks can't solo on live. I've tried everyway I can think of, the lack of a native interrupt stops it)

Now they do this. Making it essentially impossible as any spec. Awesome.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Warlocks CAN solo Pandaren on live. I've done it as Destro with felhound GoSac. Set up Demonic Gateway so that you can pop away for Spinning Crane Kick (or stun them out of it if you have Shadowfury) and go to town, using Command Demon to interrupt.

As a hunter, it mostly relies on seeing that Spinning Crane Kick cast wind up and smashing Passive immediately.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

IT's still tough for locks to do it, regardless. It's a lot of coordination.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine