so, valor upgrades...

For discussion of the upcoming 5.3 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

so, valor upgrades...

Unread post by Slickrock »

So, now the question is, what pieces to valor upgrade, and when? Factoring in potential thunderforged items, I don't have any BiS items, but am sitting on 3000 valor, with no desirable valor items to buy.

Hmmm.. Blow all the valor on the best items for the greatest performance boost now? Or sit on 1k for potential raid drops?
Account has been closed at user's request.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: so, valor upgrades...

Unread post by Maizou »

3000 valor would upgrade 6 items.

All you really need ASAP is Weapon and trinkets.
Slickrock

Not sure I want to upgrade any 502 items.. Probably better to upgrade 522 items first, that might not be replaced as soon..

ShadowPan trinket might not be worth it either since itks not BiS, and our best trinkets drop early in ToT.
Wamo
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Wamo »

I've been wondering what to do too. I completely missed out on item upgrades previously so I'm still new to the whole idea.
Slickrock

Saw a suggestion on another forum that I like...

For any non-bis items, spread out the upgrades over more items, thus reducing the risk that you spend valor on something that gets replaced by a raid drop soon after. So upgrade a bunch of things 1/2 instead of 2/2.

If you aren't actively raiding other than LFR (or are raiding T14 or lower), upgrade all your 522s first.

If you are raiding ToT, look at the loot tables of bosses you are likely to kill in the next few weeks, and avoid those slots that you might see upgrades from.

For me that means that I may upgrade my 502 weapon at least once after all, as I'm not likely to see a weapon upgrade soon, since that's at least Tortos but I won't touch trinkets, since those drop from Jink and Council.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Since I only raid LFR, I will be upgrading my 502 weapon first, and then my 522's, trinkets etc. I also plan on upgrading the ilvl 600 legendary cloak if eligible, but im not holding my breath. After that, if I have any valor left over, I will spread them out like Slickrock explained.

I think its possible to upgrade every slot easier now. Just at 7500 valor for every slot. I dont valor cap often though, so I upgrade my highest ilvl stuff to extend their longevity into the next tier (like I did with the 496 dominance offensive ring upgraded twice to 504).
Slickrock

A few notes here that I found from other places when researching this and doing some planning...

The general priority for upgrading is 2H>MH>Trinkets>Tier slots> the rest.

Items with 2 gems sockets are in many cases worse than an item of the same ilvl for the same slot but with only one (or no) gem sockets, since the gem socket is part of the item budget, but isn't effected by the upgrade. This could change what item you want to be the offset with the rest of your tier, and could make the valor items stronger.

AskMrRobot has some good tools for evaluating upgrades, but you need to factor in the likelyhood of drops.
Slickrock

The loot gods, they are a tease...

So, AFTER I upgrade my 502 Voice of the Quillen, the 502 Drumu xbow drops, which would help, since I'm way over on hit, and can't get rid of it all.

THEN, I do the heroic scenario, and I get the 516 Panderan Xbow of the Stormblast (hit/crit), which at that point, I say screw it and update that xbow. So 1000 total valor blown, but a weapon upgrade. It's not ideal as in it's upgrade form it provides ~750 weapon dps over the upgraded Voice, but is ~20 Agi less. I think that's still an upgrade. (I can't check MrRobot or FemaleDwarf yet, as they don't have those weapons listed yet). With either weapon I'm way over the hitcap and can't do a thing about it. I could upgrade the Drumu bow which has no hit, but that would be yet another 500 valor, and that could be better spend on another upgrade.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Slickrock wrote:The loot gods, they are a tease...

So, AFTER I upgrade my 502 Voice of the Quillen, the 502 Drumu xbow drops, which would help, since I'm way over on hit, and can't get rid of it all.

THEN, I do the heroic scenario, and I get the 516 Panderan Xbow of the Stormblast (hit/crit), which at that point, I say screw it and update that xbow. So 1000 total valor blown, but a weapon upgrade. It's not ideal as in it's upgrade form it provides ~750 weapon dps over the upgraded Voice, but is ~20 Agi less. I think that's still an upgrade. (I can't check MrRobot or FemaleDwarf yet, as they don't have those weapons listed yet). With either weapon I'm way over the hitcap and can't do a thing about it. I could upgrade the Drumu bow which has no hit, but that would be yet another 500 valor, and that could be better spend on another upgrade.
Lucky.. I'm still trying to upgrade my stupid blue bow.. 2 patches later still no upgrade..
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Slickrock

Still blue? yikes. I know I ran ToES about 30 times to get that gun. If you can queue for ToT4, at least the gun drops from the first boss, as well as with ToT3, and the xbow.

With the new loot protection, you should be able to get an upgrade soon.
Hatari
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Hatari »

AdamSavage wrote:
Lucky.. I'm still trying to upgrade my stupid blue bow.. 2 patches later still no upgrade..

I feel your pain. I ran MV and TotES for months and months and had no drops. I had gotten nearly twice as many sigils of power and wisdom that I needed for the +500 agility piece to put into the sha weapon. It never dropped.

My luck changed with the newer raids. My first LFR against Tortos? I got the shell bow.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Well I have some extra bonus rolls I can use up. So I can just keep running Tortos till he gives me what I want, or I run out of bonus rolls to use. He is easier to do, then having to kill two bosses to get to the boss that drops what you need.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!