Maybe new Tame Gimmick? Maybe a New Rare?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.4 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Re: Maybe new Tame Gimmick? Maybe a New Rare?

Unread post by Castile »

Don't want to fan the flames or anything but the points made about us having gotten alot in terms of tamables are pretty accurate. Ofcourse we all love new pets every patch but thats probably not feasable from blizzards pov. For now lets be happy with what we did get :)

Also i would rather they spent more time improving our classes dps overall than a fancy new pet but thats just my opinion :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Castile wrote:Don't want to fan the flames or anything but the points made about us having gotten alot in terms of tamables are pretty accurate. Ofcourse we all love new pets every patch but thats probably not feasable from blizzards pov. For now lets be happy with what we did get :)

Also i would rather they spent more time improving our classes dps overall than a fancy new pet but thats just my opinion :)

Neither of those are happening though! x)

Haha, just kidding. Either way, I disagree, but that's based on viewpoints. If you look at it from a vanilla perspective, you would've thought that we had enough in TBC.

And I think it wouldn't be too big a deal to make a new family per patch. If they wanted to do so, they could do so - I bet. Now I'm not saying it should happen, but I really don't think we should be saying "poor Blizzard. They would not be able to deal with all the work overload.". I don't think I am wrong to desire more pets either. Like I said: you can say that you don't want new pets, just as I can say I do want new pets.

The problem is when either of the sides starts forcing their view/opinion down the other's throats, which happens a whole lot, surprisingly.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

i would like that to be a new pet/challenge to give me something to do while the nerfs are happening this patch.i don't think i'll stick around if theres nothing but nerfs for me.but maybe if there is something for me to work tords which is mainly the hunter pets for me then i will stay just for those.but most likely i may have to take else where cause i am not happy with most of the changes say silence shot.thats just my veiw my opion.if you try to shove down my throat then there is no point to these free of thoughts threads now is there?

as for the celestrails i find it werid that its ok as a mini pet that is pretty much fighting still but its wrong to have a hunter pet modle for it.again my veiw on it not trying to throat anyone.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

The class is being adjusted, but I think we are going to come out overall buffed more than nerfed. It all depends on how they handle the dps loss from losing Readiness, but from what I gather, that is pretty much the last nerf to account for. We are getting Stampede significantly boosted in PVE, a large buff from live. Were now getting an interrupt+specs lock for all specs and Intimidation available to all specs, a combination we don't have on live. Mending glyph is getting an insane buff once it is fixed on PTR. Taunts are getting an interesting rework.

This is PTR, anything can change, but overall as a class, I think we will come out different, but definitely stronger.

Edit: Changed "classes" to "specs"
Last edited by Quiv on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

I'll just say that a few new tames would be nice. yaks? mushan? a new spirit beast?

And I still will say that the amount of mini-pets is to our detriment. Example: Kovok. Available as a mini-pet, not as a hunter pet. The models are available, the animations are there, not much work would be required to make a hunter pet as well.

I just hope all these minipets are cageable, so I can at least sell them...
Account has been closed at user's request.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Wain wrote:This thread turned ridiculously hostile. I hope it's calmed down now. Anyone else who feels the need for heated arguments can take it to PMs.

Companion pets are handled by a wide range of devs. Hunter tameables tend to be a by-product of area design and whoever is nice enough to add a few more interesting tames. Noah has been involved with battle pets from the start but it didn't stop him creating the most complex tames weve ever had, in our current expansion. Originally we just got whatever was added to the area by devs who weren't really thinking about hunters. So we've actually done really well.
Quoting this for emphasis. Everyone's falling into the age-old logic trap that resources can just be swapped from thing 1 to thing 2 at will, when that's simply not the case. Creating battle pets does not take resources away from hunter pets--as Wain pointed out, we're actually getting more resources devoted to hunter pets than ever before. Granted, this is more 'a few people specifically thinking of us' rather than 'afterthought,' but it just goes to show that there's no 'hunter pet team' for a 'battle pet team' to poach from.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Quivering wrote:The class is being adjusted, but I think we are going to come out overall buffed more than nerfed. It all depends on how they handle the dps loss from losing Readiness, but from what I gather, that is pretty much the last nerf to account for. We are getting Stampede significantly boosted in PVE, a large buff from live. Were now getting an interrupt+specs lock for all specs and Intimidation available to all specs, a combination we don't have on live. Mending glyph is getting an insane buff once it is fixed on PTR. Taunts are getting an interesting rework.

This is PTR, anything can change, but overall as a class, I think we will come out different, but definitely stronger.

I'm so glad to read that! We really do need a buff and I think I demonstrated this for the Moon Guard peeps in lfr when me in 517ilvl could be matched by a rogue in 497ilvl >.> (I don't think I'm that horrible a player either lol!). Roll on the next patch then!!

Shadowlands

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

evil950510 you were right, in that it IS a trick item!

But sadly not a tame.

The corpse you mentioned suggests there's a ravenous beast that likes to eat Fishgorged Cranes.

If you go and aggro a live one from the coast and bring it back to the corpse then a rare tiger spawns: Cranegnasher. She's a level 90 rare, but also not flagged tameable.

She's the regular orange Pandaren tiger with the pink nose, which is pretty common anyway.

Anyway, well spotted. If you hadn't posted this I wouldn't have thought to check it out today :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Does the corpse of the fishgorger despawn? I bet you did this on Anasterian just now cuz I can't find the corpse :P
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yep, it despawns when you summon the rare.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Quivering wrote:The class is being adjusted, but I think we are going to come out overall buffed more than nerfed. It all depends on how they handle the dps loss from losing Readiness, but from what I gather, that is pretty much the last nerf to account for. We are getting Stampede significantly boosted in PVE, a large buff from live. Were now getting an interrupt+specs lock for all specs and Intimidation available to all specs, a combination we don't have on live. Mending glyph is getting an insane buff once it is fixed on PTR. Taunts are getting an interesting rework.

Playing around with the sims on femaledwarf.com, I'm seeing a 4.5 k increase in DPS with all the current PTR changes applied. Even with Readiness removed. That's about a 4% increase for a PvE BM Hunter in my current gear.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

Quivering while eagle eyeing the island before it was open saw some other mysterious object, like a grave stone and empty turtle shell just take a look at their post, so there are more possible rares on the island that require some form of bait to make them spawn.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

evil950510 wrote:Quivering while eagle eyeing the island before it was open saw some other mysterious object, like a grave stone and empty turtle shell just take a look at their post, so there are more possible rares on the island that require some form of bait to make them spawn.
the turtle shell spawns the rare turtle Chelen. However, now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing the gravestones anymore...
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Chelon itself hasn't been added to Wowhead yet, but a couple of other things related to it have been, and suggest it's part of a daily:

Daily quest tracker for Chelon: http://ptr.wowhead.com/quest=32966
"Chelon Stalker" NPC: http://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=73304 (a frost dwarf! I hope he has good air con)
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

In other words Blizzard is introducing dailys without calling them as such, but worst of all this means people will be camping these rares inorder to complete their quests.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

evil950510 wrote:In other words Blizzard is introducing dailys without calling them as such, but worst of all this means people will be camping these rares inorder to complete their quests.
I wouldn't get too worked up till we have more info. Cranegnasher and other things also have a tracking quest that is flagged "daily" by Wowhead. It might just signify they don't want you to be able to receive loot from any one rare more than once a day and are tracking if you've already done so. There are also a bunch for specific treasure chests that are marked 'weekly', possibly for the same reason. But even if there was a daily to kill it, it won't matter how many people camp as it's taggable by everyone.
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Wain wrote:
evil950510 wrote:In other words Blizzard is introducing dailys without calling them as such, but worst of all this means people will be camping these rares inorder to complete their quests.
I wouldn't get too worked up till we have more info. Cranegnasher and other things also have a tracking quest that is flagged "daily" by Wowhead. It might just signify they don't want you to be able to receive loot from any one rare more than once a day and are tracking if you've already done so. There are also a bunch for specific treasure chests that are marked 'weekly', possibly for the same reason. But even if there was a daily to kill it, it won't matter how many people camp as it's taggable by everyone.
If everyone has to kill them, they might make it like the Barren's mobs that anyone of any faction can tag and help kill. I like that concept very much!

Shadowlands

Hazzal
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Hazzal »

Anyone know ilvl a hunter should have to survive in 5.4? Curious because work has kept me out of the game for most of 5.3/5.2 and my gear is not super great, but I'd like to see all this.
More on topic: I would love to see "hidden" creatures like this in the future that hunters could tame. Something about pet hunts that bring the entire class community together makes me smile.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Castile wrote: If everyone has to kill them, they might make it like the Barren's mobs that anyone of any faction can tag and help kill. I like that concept very much!
That's actually how rares on the island work :)
Bodhran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstrasza

Unread post by Bodhran »

Albain wrote:has anyone heard if Ghostcrawler changed his stance on hydras yet?
Soon™

ImageImage
ImageImage

Hunter:
-Hunters now earn Valor Points when they are effectively Vote Kicked from a Dungeon Finder group.
-Ettin’s Grip (new talent) allows the hunter to equip two ranged weapons simultaneously.

Dream skins to tame:
Fandral Staghelm Fire Cat Form. Kor'kron War/Veteran/Warbringer of the Horde PVP wolf mount. Xuen/Litter of Xuen! Legion Wolf Boss.