5.4 Bestiary

For discussion of the upcoming 5.4 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
ViridianOrder
Realm: Gilneas

Re: 5.4 Bestiary

Unread post by ViridianOrder »

So whats the point now in looking for the trackable beasts if you can now find most of them on the timeless isle?
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

ViridianOrder wrote:So whats the point now in looking for the trackable beasts if you can now find most of them on the timeless isle?
Personal challenge? Sometimes I feel like going out of my way to tame a rare version of a skin that would also be readily available, just because it's something different to do while I'm online. Also it makes me roam zones in a different way which can sometimes lead to unplanned adventures. :)
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yoruko wrote:
ViridianOrder wrote:So whats the point now in looking for the trackable beasts if you can now find most of them on the timeless isle?
Personal challenge? Sometimes I feel like going out of my way to tame a rare version of a skin that would also be readily available, just because it's something different to do while I'm online. Also it makes me roam zones in a different way which can sometimes lead to unplanned adventures. :)
^ This, basically.

I do it all the time. If I can find a rare version of the skin, I go for the rare if it's within reason.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Another new tameable entry in Wowhead's database, but not sure where it is (if it's even been added yet): Saltbite Crocolisk.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

Yoruko wrote:

Exactly... I'd understand if one spent months, half a year, years for x-pet then oh there's a normal model of it & getting that to suffice... but yep I agree.
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []
Sar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Sar »

Junrei wrote:
Yoruko wrote:
^ This, basically.

I do it all the time. If I can find a rare version of the skin, I go for the rare if it's within reason.
Same here. However if the rare is a right pain, or involves a long camp, I'll go for the non-rare version instead.
Social Media: YouTube | Twitter | Nerd Rooted
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Got Devlore to respond that no, no "new" pets in 5.4.

So while we get some of the above, what's really clear is that no new resources are being applied to pet development. We are only going to get what Noah can do with existing assets, and even then where they are needed to fill out a zone.

I'll rant more about this someplace else.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slapperfish

Unread post by Slapperfish »

So, from what I understand, the only new and unique tame on the Isle at this time is Furyshell? Who we'll likely have to camp for weeks on end because he's a requirement for a new rare-killing meta-achievement?

Meh, I'll take what I can get, I guess.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Slickrock wrote:Got Devlore to respond that no, no "new" pets in 5.4.

So while we get some of the above, what's really clear is that no new resources are being applied to pet development. We are only going to get what Noah can do with existing assets, and even then where they are needed to fill out a zone.

I'll rant more about this someplace else.

Yep.. this seems to be it.

Sigh.. just sigh.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, every patch we get our hopes up, which makes things a bit disappointing when there's nothing very exciting as far as pets go.

But, that really is our own fault (and I admit I'm guilty of it too). Since the Cataclysm beta we have been incredibly spoiled with the number of beasts added specifically for us to tame and we've come to expect it. Not necessarily consciously expecting it, just that it's something we've come to look out for.

There's no class in the game that gets special goodies added to it every patch just for their own fun. So we really can't expect that for us either. We probably still do far better in that respect than any other. But, yeah, it's impossible not to get your hopes up :)

Personally, I think it'll be hard for anything to top direhorns for sheer awesomeness. They were completely unexpected and pretty amazing!
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I try not to get my hopes up cause it only leads to a huge disappointment.

Think of it like this: If we get something new? Awesome! If we don't, cest la vi.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:Since the Cataclysm beta we have been incredibly spoiled with the number of beasts added specifically for us to tame and we've come to expect it.
It may even stem farther back than that to Wrath, with a new Spirit beast with like every patch...
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Quivering wrote:
Wain wrote:Since the Cataclysm beta we have been incredibly spoiled with the number of beasts added specifically for us to tame and we've come to expect it.
It may even stem farther back than that to Wrath, with a new Spirit beast with like every patch...
Well, it's part of both.

I'd much rather have the Wrath method (and for the most part Cata) where we got a few new things to tame with each patch along the way.

This time? We got the usual expansion set, and then a ton of old/resused/reskined/recolored models in old content (which was fine) and then the Dinos. But it's been silent since 5.2.

I tweeted at GC and Mumper, but no response from them, just the confirmation from Devlore.

I still think that Kunchongs should be available, and Yaks certainly would be nice.

If this was all we were going to get, it would have been better if the special-tame ones had been scattered across all the patches, so there would be something new to look for in each. This way is pretty dull.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Slickrock wrote:
Quivering wrote:
Well, it's part of both.

I'd much rather have the Wrath method (and for the most part Cata) where we got a few new things to tame with each patch along the way.

This time? We got the usual expansion set, and then a ton of old/resused/reskined/recolored models in old content (which was fine) and then the Dinos. But it's been silent since 5.2.

I tweeted at GC and Mumper, but no response from them, just the confirmation from Devlore.

I still think that Kunchongs should be available, and Yaks certainly would be nice.

If this was all we were going to get, it would have been better if the special-tame ones had been scattered across all the patches, so there would be something new to look for in each. This way is pretty dull.

You forgot Pterrorwings. A lot of people want those, and for a good reason. Because they are awesome. Same for Kunchong, but in comparison, a relatively small amount of people want them. Oh, and Mushan. These are all pets that should, and could have EASILY been tameable.

To be honest, I hope for Mists of Pandaria to be over asap. As a hunter, it was a super-disappointing expansion.

(inb4 people pounce on me for being spoiled)

About that. Since I joined here, my most hated, most detested word has become 'spoiled'. So many people misusing it here. I do not wish to attack anyone, but I'm just so damn tired of the word 'spoiled' being thrown around like that.

But oh well, what are you going to do about it? It has become like a petopia forum meme here, like 'Horde Bias' became a meme on the Scrolls of Lore forums.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Sar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Sar »

Make Yaks tameable. That would make quite a lot of ppl happy :)
Social Media: YouTube | Twitter | Nerd Rooted
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Qraljar wrote:You forgot Pterrorwings. A lot of people want those, and for a good reason. Because they are awesome. Same for Kunchong, but in comparison, a relatively small amount of people want them. Oh, and Mushan. These are all pets that should, and could have EASILY been tameable.

To be honest, I hope for Mists of Pandaria to be over asap. As a hunter, it was a super-disappointing expansion.

(inb4 people pounce on me for being spoiled)

About that. Since I joined here, my most hated, most detested word has become 'spoiled'. So many people misusing it here. I do not wish to attack anyone, but I'm just so damn tired of the word 'spoiled' being thrown around like that.

But oh well, what are you going to do about it? It has become like a petopia forum meme here, like 'Horde Bias' became a meme on the Scrolls of Lore forums.
I completely agree. And while there is the argument of "other classes don't always get cool stuff every patch!" That partially isn't true. It looks like in this patch alone, at least 5 other classes got really cool cosmetic glyphs while we are stuck with the (in my opinion, of course) lame fireworks and temporary companion-aspects which just look like regular minipets.

New pets (and I'm talking about unused skins here) seem to be extraordinary easy to implement to an outsider. Unused cat skin? Replace a non-unique type of cat in some zone with it. Rares seem harder to create, as they would require a brand new NPC with a new spawnpoint and loot table. Even still, do the developers who create NPCs have some sort of "template?"

Level 52 Rare - Level 46-55 Rare Loot Table + Winterspring Zone Drops Image

Level 19 Rare - Level 15-25 Rare Loot Table Image

I'm probably way oversimplifying this, but... you get the point.

New pet species would obviously be more complicated to implement with balancing required, but it's always possible to just look at existing NPCs of that type, pick a commonly-used ability, and tweak the numbers to fit other pets.

Kunchong - Pheromones - Functions like a worm's spit.
Pterrorwing - Silencing Shriek - Functions like a moth's silence.

You get the idea. All the animations and functionality are already there, the only thing preventing it from being a hunter pet is the lack of a default family ability.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The topic has diverted enough. Whether or not you think Blizzard isn't doing enough for hunters, the discussion can move elsewhere now.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

True. However, one topic worth bringing up again is that our only unique rare of the patch is required for an achievement...
I thought we were past the days of Wrath-pet-hunting-for-months? :o
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Equeon wrote:True. However, one topic worth bringing up again is that our only unique rare of the patch is required for an achievement...
I thought we were past the days of Wrath-pet-hunting-for-months? :o
No, it's not worth bringing up again here. It's already been discussed on this thread. If you want to discuss further take it to another thread please, as I have already requested.
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

I can't wait for MoP to over, too. I shelved all my hunters because of all the uninteresting pets and boring specs.