Two GC hunter tweets that got me tingly

For discussion of the upcoming 5.4 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Two GC hunter tweets that got me tingly

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Again, I LIKE THIS IDEA! I was just wondering if there was a good solution for it that was not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring, you know, trying to encourage creative thinking, or discussion, that’s all. :?

I'm not saying I don’t like it or don’t want it, just trying to discuss, see if anyone clever than I could come up with an intuitive idea to make it work around some issues that many be an excuse for it not to happen. Anyways, keep forgetting people take things really personally and don’t read what people type before diving in. I should have just typed "Oh Great Idea!" and just left it at that, my bad. :|

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

SpiritBinder wrote:Again, I LIKE THIS IDEA! I was just wondering if there was a good solution for it that was not too much work/looks silly/or is nondescript/boring, you know, trying to encourage creative thinking, or discussion, that’s all. :?

I'm not saying I don’t like it or don’t want it, just trying to discuss, see if anyone clever than I could come up with an intuitive idea to make it work around some issues that many be an excuse for it not to happen. Anyways, keep forgetting people take things really personally and don’t read what people type before diving in. I should have just typed "Oh Great Idea!" and just left it at that, my bad. :|
I like it too and i think you're right in saying it could become boring. I can just see every hunter with Loque lol which would be very meh and there would be no reason for some to even collect pets.

I think it would be awesome to be able to use whatever pet you wanted and be able to buff/solo or do w/e you wanted with a pet but yeah some spells could look ....silly. Maybe rename them or repurpose? Like how the direhorns sorta have a sheild but its like a frontal cone thing like their natural frill. Something like that.

So for a bear to have shell sheild would be: "Bear Curl" - the bear crouches into a protective stance, sheilding all damage for x time.

Or for a cat "Fury Claw" - the cat claws furiously in all directions sheilding it from all damage for x time.

Doesn't have to a sheild per say just the effect of being sheilded. Well thats me thinking outside the box anyway.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I agree, while the idea is...neat....it would get old very quick. I like the fact I have to switch my pets out and use them for different situations. That was one of the reasons why I tamed some of em.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Hmmm...
A full sloth of bears/bear spirits for all ocasions for my dwarfette...?
/gimme! :D

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Junrei wrote:I agree, while the idea is...neat....it would get old very quick. I like the fact I have to switch my pets out and use them for different situations. That was one of the reasons why I tamed some of em.
Good news is you can still do this if you enjoy it. The option wouldn't be taken away, just allows you to decide what pets are used for different situations, instead of devs choosing which pet is used for different situations.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Too much of a good thing(in this case too many options) becomes a bad thing, as they say. There needs to be some restriction. We can't always have everything of everything. The game becomes no fun for many.

Plus knowing Blizzard, if we go this route, the way I'd like to do it would be taken away somehow. They won't let ya bake a cake and eat it. Never have.

LisaaraPokefarm

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Junrei wrote:Too much of a good thing(in this case too many options) becomes a bad thing, as they say. There needs to be some restriction.
Concerning the bolded part.. In the context of letting us choose pet buffs: Why does there need to be restriction?
We can't always have everything of everything. The game becomes no fun for many.
Well the idea isn't to have everything of everything, the context is simply choosing pet buffs. So how does shifting a decision from the dev to the player make it no fun for the player? I can think of good that comes from this (allowing players to truly use the family/skin they want without restriction). I am failing to see how such liberty is bad.

Just trying to understand your reasoning/point of view. Looking for evidence of how this could be bad. :)
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'll just leave this here to make a point on what it'd be like if fans got to make decisions for WoW

[quote=Mae West]Too much of a good thing can be taxing.[/quote]

Letting us choose buffs is letting us have everything. To get this thing, we'd probably take a HUGE nerf. I don't know about you but I'd rather just stick with what we have. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd rather them do something a bit more worth their time like....fix MM, for example....or separate pvp from pve....

LisaaraPokefarm

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

The ONLY unbalance I can see to having hunter choose which buffs their pets have is in regards to exotic abilities. How would exotic abilities be balances out if hunter could choose which pets got which buff?

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

One exotic, one regular. Example I would like Old Blue (my Devilsaur) to have Horn Toss and Dust Cloud. :mrgreen:

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Rawr wrote:One exotic, one regular. Example I would like Old Blue (my Devilsaur) to have Horn Toss and Dust Cloud. :mrgreen:
Sounds like an OP PVP thing to me. They'd nerf pets into utter uselessness.

but eh, I've said my piece on this and that's my stance. I'd rather not my class nerfed to the ground twice as hard cause we get convenience in pets(moreso than we already do).

LisaaraPokefarm

Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Not really, Exotics already have one regular and one exotic ability. Changing them around won't do much if anything to help or hinder PvP anymore than they already are. Pet abilities are already nerfed in PvP so I'm not sure what you are worried about. :mrgreen:

HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

a spirit beast with a Battle rez can actaully be pic in my mind.

:spirit beast brings the spirit of the dead back.

and for quilens sense they are gaurdains.

sheild:quilen goes into a stone phase to ender damage being done to them.

this is just some stuff i pic in my mind.
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Junrei wrote:
Rawr wrote:One exotic, one regular. Example I would like Old Blue (my Devilsaur) to have Horn Toss and Dust Cloud. :mrgreen:
Sounds like an OP PVP thing to me. They'd nerf pets into utter uselessness.

but eh, I've said my piece on this and that's my stance. I'd rather not my class nerfed to the ground twice as hard cause we get convenience in pets(moreso than we already do).
It'd definitely be considered OP in PVP possibly in PVE too given the circumstances.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

So letting players use a choose a buff for a normal ability wont hurt the game. A wolf providing armor reduction isnt going to break anything, since a wolf and raptor are just graphics. Giving us that bit of control is the next logical step past letting us choose pet specs, which did the exact same thing of moving the decision from the dev to the player. They had to consider all the possible combinations of spec bonuses plus abilities. Blood of the rhino/last stand and spirit mend doesnt seem to concern them.

However the mix-n-match with BM could present some interesting combinations that they may not like. i imagine the worst offenders would be the combinations that double dip in stats. They may not like a pet that bring Stamina and +5 crit at the same time, although in arena you can bring a "pre-pot" pet buffs to have for the first 30-60 seconds of the fight.

Ancient Hysteria may be problematic with a CC. Stealth and a CC, idk. Then again, a hunter could team up with a rogue/druid or a shaman/mage/hunter and do the same thing and thats not considered nerfworthy now. they dont balance around 1v1 so I dont concern myself with that if they dont. I would need to see evidence that 1v1 hunter with say bloodlust/stun becoming king of the duels before I believed this change was what broke the camels back anyway.

The Rhino example above is likely harmless. Consider... Currently Rhino has knockback + increased physical damage. Rhino with Dust Cloud means knockback + reduced armor. That wouldnt be going from kosher to "nerf the class" OP, thats more or less a lateral move since both result in a slight increase to physical dmg. knockback and a snare could be an issue, but unlikely since we can do that now with concussive shot. Knockback and a stun/root... we can technically do that now if were exceptional at aiming trap launcher lol. i can barely scatter/trap so not me.

If anything stops this in its tracks, its gonna be those handful of combinations that get out of hand, which is the equivalent of one bad kid ruining everything for the whole class. They could just make BM abilities only eligible to pair with certain normal abilities if they are worried about those handful of unbalance combinations. thats what beta/PTR is for.
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

maybe the exotics stay on the family they already are but the other ones they can be changed untill they figure out what to do with the exotic abilitys.1 thing at atime.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Quivering wrote:So letting players use a choose a buff for a normal ability wont hurt the game. A wolf providing armor reduction isnt going to break anything, since a wolf and raptor are just graphics. Giving us that bit of control is the next logical step past letting us choose pet specs, which did the exact same thing of moving the decision from the dev to the player. They had to consider all the possible combinations of spec bonuses plus abilities. Blood of the rhino/last stand and spirit mend doesnt seem to concern them.

However the mix-n-match with BM could present some interesting combinations that they may not like. i imagine the worst offenders would be the combinations that double dip in stats. They may not like a pet that bring Stamina and +5 crit at the same time, although in arena you can bring a "pre-pot" pet buffs to have for the first 30-60 seconds of the fight.

Ancient Hysteria may be problematic with a CC. Stealth and a CC, idk. Then again, a hunter could team up with a rogue/druid or a shaman/mage/hunter and do the same thing and thats not considered nerfworthy now. they dont balance around 1v1 so I dont concern myself with that if they dont. I would need to see evidence that 1v1 hunter with say bloodlust/stun becoming king of the duels before I believed this change was what broke the camels back anyway.

The Rhino example above is likely harmless. Consider... Currently Rhino has knockback + increased physical damage. Rhino with Dust Cloud means knockback + reduced armor. That wouldnt be going from kosher to "nerf the class" OP, thats more or less a lateral move since both result in a slight increase to physical dmg. knockback and a snare could be an issue, but unlikely since we can do that now with concussive shot. Knockback and a stun/root... we can technically do that now if were exceptional at aiming trap launcher lol. i can barely scatter/trap so not me.

If anything stops this in its tracks, its gonna be those handful of combinations that get out of hand, which is the equivalent of one bad kid ruining everything for the whole class. They could just make BM abilities only eligible to pair with certain normal abilities if they are worried about those handful of unbalance combinations. thats what beta/PTR is for.
That's kinda what I was getting at. There's several combos that would be way too OP. The Rhino/Dust Cloud thing would be OP in pvp, especially considering Hunters already have a lot they can do in pvp as is. Or the dustcloud/snare and you pointed out the exotic stuff too.

And you all know people WILL abuse it to damnation. That's why we always get neat stuff taken from us, like the buff pets. They were abused. Now we cant have em.

LisaaraPokefarm

Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

I don't see how a Devilsaur with Horn Toss and Dust Could is OP when Rhinos have Horn Toss and Stampede, one weakens armor by 4% the other increases physical damage by 4% if you bring in the "but Dust Cloud is an AoE" I say how many times do you see people on the same team standing next to each other. Really guys if you can't give good examples of what you are talking about you don't have an argument. And if you start talking about CC I will remind you that they increased the CD on all pet CC and reduced its up time not to mention the diminishing returns. :mrgreen:

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Rawr wrote:I don't see how a Devilsaur with Horn Toss and Dust Could is OP when Rhinos have Horn Toss and Stampede, one weakens armor by 4% the other increases physical damage by 4% if you bring in the "but Dust Cloud is an AoE" I say how many times do you see people on the same team standing next to each other. Really guys if you can't give good examples of what you are talking about you don't have an argument. And if you start talking about CC I will remind you that they increased the CD on all pet CC and reduced its up time not to mention the diminishing returns. :mrgreen:
That was VERY rude what you just said. People WERE giving examples. To tell someone that "If you cant give good examples of what you're talking about you don't have an argument."

Anywho back on topic. I can see how some skills combined could be good like the Quilen's Rez and the Spirit Beast's Heal but when you put those together even that's a little OP to be honest not to mention those are two skills from two exotics. Useful? Yes. It could be considered OP though.

Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Dirty-Claws wrote:
Rawr wrote:I don't see how a Devilsaur with Horn Toss and Dust Could is OP when Rhinos have Horn Toss and Stampede, one weakens armor by 4% the other increases physical damage by 4% if you bring in the "but Dust Cloud is an AoE" I say how many times do you see people on the same team standing next to each other. Really guys if you can't give good examples of what you are talking about you don't have an argument. And if you start talking about CC I will remind you that they increased the CD on all pet CC and reduced its up time not to mention the diminishing returns. :mrgreen:
That was VERY rude what you just said. People WERE giving examples. To tell someone that "If you cant give good examples of what you're talking about you don't have an argument."

Anywho back on topic. I can see how some skills combined could be good like the Quilen's Rez and the Spirit Beast's Heal but when you put those together even that's a little OP to be honest not to mention those are two skills from two exotics. Useful? Yes. It could be considered OP though.
I'm sorry if you found it rude but no one save Quivering has said anything but "its op" and even Quivering gave examples of how you can already do most of the pet buffs and whatnot. And last time I checked you can't b-rez in an arena and doing it in a BG would be a waste of a buff you could bring when druids and DKs can also b-rez and the SB heal is laughable. :mrgreen: