Devilsaur Kings - Questions on How to Best Tame.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Ysera

Devilsaur Kings - Questions on How to Best Tame.

Unread post by Phyra »

First and foremost, big congrats to Tyuriwen who got her King Mosh!

Her post: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2100

---------

I had to give her props, as her post prompted me to post my own. I'm dying to tame either King Mosh or King Krush. There is something about the Devilsaurs that I absolutely hate (namely being low level and going 'oh why is my screen shaking OH GOD NO!).. and absolutely love (IE: When they finally were tamable.)

The problem with wanting to tame a King, is I worry about that fear. I'm trying to figure if I can solo-tame one of these bad boys, or I should try and keep a friend around in the area. Ideally, because sometimes the time is right, and the people on are wrong, I'd like to prep for a solo-tame. I'm trying to construct a King Survival Pack.

I keep worrying I may be under thinking something, and over thinking another thing.

King Survival Pack (so far):
40 Manta Filet things (The Haste/Stamina)
Luck (Chock full. Let me tell you.)

I know I should probably obtain Haste Potions. It is on the list to get. However what I need to do is know how to use them properly and if they can be tied to any sort of macro. Since I'm an Herbalist, and guildies are Alchs, I can get a fair amount of them. How many should you keep on you? A stack? Is that over kill? Do they really help or is it just something else to micro-manage?

The timing of everything seems to be problematic. I worry that I'll misclick and precious seconds will be wasted. I was fortunate to get the Ghost Wolf on my other hunter, but this was due to sweet talking a Shadow Priest and a pair of Shamans into helping me get the timing perfect. I'm hoping that it does not require as much micro managing. I'm also assuming BOTH Kings are similar in their attacks/abilities.

A Few Questions:
* Are there any good macros out there to help streamline all the minor micromanagement of taming a King?

* What other classes are best as King helpers if you manage to find one?
Does healing or shielding you affect the tame?
Paladin's "Hammer of Justice" is rumored to actually stun a King. True/False?

* What items are critical to keeping around if you're taming a King solo?

* Any Macro suggestions/builds?

* Advice of any sort is appreciated hugely!

----
Theoretic Taming Process:

* Have Trash Pet.
* Use Bestial Wrath
* Dismiss/Abandon (is there a way to dismiss/abandon faster than just right click on he pet port?)

*Use Haste Potion???

* Taming Process

--- Does concussive shot or any ice slicks help slow his progress to you?

Thank you in advance!
Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: Devilsaur Kings - Questions on How to Best Tame.

Unread post by Phyra »

EDIT:

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=32485/king-krush#comments:80

Does a Tallstrider trash pet really help in taming King Krush?
Does Dustcloud actually work?
Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Terenas (EU)

Unread post by Tyuriwen »

Thanks again for the props, and I'm sure there are hunters here who have actually tamed Krush that can tell you more than I can, but since I've been looking for him for a while now...

Food's good. =) Everytime I know I'm going to Sholazar, I have the Haste buff up, since it lasts 60 minutes and is so easily to replace.

I use Haste Potions (Potion of Speed) for raids, so I always have a stack on me off my Alchy. =)

I use Elixir of Lightning Speed/Elixir of Mighty Fortitude, in contrast to some people using a Flask of Stoneblood for survivability. And a Scroll of Stamina VII =)

http://huntsmanslodge.com/841/gather-round-children.htm <---It's a lil' old, but everything still stands. On this page you'll find a BM spec based solely on survivability. I used it to tame Mosh/attempt Krush, in my normal raid gear I have 24k HP, if I put on my 'King Krush gear' (more on this in a minute) I'm up to 25.5k.

My King Krush gear consists of a balance of Haste and HP. Everything from my raid gear with haste on it, I keep, and other pieces I switch out for PvP equivalents for the Stamina. I didn't have any of the trinkets the guide suggested, so I bought Shard of The Crystal Heart with some emblems, and put the haste enchant on my gloves (I'm an engineer). I can't tell you exactly if ANY of these stack but, I have a few macros to pop 'em all, and it gets my tame down to 15 seconds.

I use my Medallion of the Alliance to quickly get out of the fears so I can go back to casting.

My Macros:

/use Scroll of Stamina VIII
/use Elixir of Lightning Speed
/use Elixir of Mighty Fortitude

/use Potion of Speed
/use Shard of the Crystal Heart
/use Deadly Gladiator's Chain Gauntlets

And on that guide there is one for abandoning your pet and casting Tame Beast, all in one. =)

Hope this helped, even though I haven't yet tamed Krush, which is harder with all the other people trying to kill him, Mosh is lovely practice. <3

Beast of luck!!! xD

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Phyra »

You know I had not considered using Scrolls, but that is an absolutely fantastic idea!

I've only recently started re-reading Krush tips on Wowhead. It isn't often easy to see which tips actually work or not.

My first instinct was to try and re-find a Mystical Skyfire Diamond. If I remember, when it procs, cuts the tame time down by half right off the bat. This is how the Ghost Wolf was able to be tamed back in the day. The problem is finding someone with the cut. My Jewelcrafter doesn't have it, and not many farm the instances in which it drops from. :/

Also. Thank you. Thank you so much in all the tips! Those are a great starting point in prepping for my (hopeful) solo tame of the big bad green machine!
Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

As for your Tallstrider question:

Dust Cloud: Your tallstrider kicks up an obscuring cloud of dust, causing all enemies within 10 yards to miss their next attack. Lasts for 8 sec.

This means MELEE attack, I don't think it works on spells, which is what the fear is. =s I think that person might be pulling your tail with false information, or they might not even know it had no effect. There's no real way to test this unless you find another non-rare that fears and test it out for yourself! But my guess is no, it doesn't work. =(

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

*sorry for the double post*

Don't mention it, I found a lot of help on these forums when I was trying for him the first time, what goes around comes around. =)

I never thought of using that gem...and it's never been mentioned. 0.0 Which is surprising, since it could give a lot of haste..maybe someone else would be able to help you with this. =)

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

A melee attack that doesn't hit is a melee attack that doesn't do damage... It would seem like a great ability to me.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Unread post by Pawtrack »

Just some advice,
If any of king krush/mosh's fears are considered spells, deterrence gives you a few seconds of being immune to ranged attacks and spells (you can tame w/ it on, I've tried)

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Phyra »

@Saturo
Very good line of thought. Though, honestly would hope that I could avoid him touching me at all. I've been told he charges/knock backs at a distance, and it is important to not cast Tame Beast until he's in range of you ...

But thank you :)

@Pawtrack:
Y'know. I completely forgot about that little (nearly unused unless PvPing) ability! I'll try and incorporate it into the mix. Does it effect tame-beast?

@Tyuriwen

Yep! That gem is. .well a gem. I used it back in the day and coupled it with Bloodlust and Drums (forget which one) in order to be able to cast/use Tame Beast in under 7-8 seconds. That was the hitch with taming a Ghost Wolf. They died after 8 seconds.

However, since it has been over a year (maybe two??) since I last handled the gem, I'm unsure how many new adaptions and tweaks it has had since its conception.

Just picked up the trinket you mentioned, too! :)
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

You won't be able to tame him from range.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Saturo wrote:You won't be able to tame him from range.
And you'd waste precious seconds of TBW staying at range. The best thing you can also do incase of TBW failing before tame and or haste not being enough is to get a priest and use Fear ward/power word shield. Ofc having some threat before this helps your priest buddy out too.

Edit: King Mosh is far different from King Krush. He can fear harsh, fast and multiple times. IE when Ryai tamed Mosh, he had feared and killed a lv 70 ench shammy and its wolves. The fears came hard and fast, going off every 3 seconds the more Mosh started to lose health. And as I went through 4 attempts to tame him, without extra haste, trash pet or TBW, it seemed -any- attack, negative or beneficial would set off the fear count down ticket. The best I managed was when it came down to the line, I did absolutely nothing before taming Mosh, not even scorpid sting. Granted it came down to luck that he didn't fear during the 20 seconds but it could help if there's no trash pet readily available.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

I believe that gem is no longer available from what I read, well it doesnt proc like it used to. Ive actually tamed King Mosh a few times as practice runs for King Krush (actually went yesterday to try and tame a red devilsaur to see what my tame cast would be, and King Mosh was up staring at me lol). For me King Krush is harder because you have the tendency to forget using potions and stuff and just run in blindly because of how camped Shola is lol. Un'goro is pretty quiet on my server so thats always nice. With the haste I had, I could get it down to 15 seconds, and didnt get feared once with King Mosh so I think its mostly all about luck. I went and got more haste gear today though. I am using some haste gear I bought from badges (triumph badges), and drums of forgotton kings and wild. So ive got 600 haste unbuffed, and probably around 1700 fully buffed, so I am hoping that I'll be able to get the tame down to around 13 seconds.

But for sure attempt to tame him when your in melee range, wait for your pet to get feared first then run in, hit your BW/tame macro and
the rest is up to luck. Having alot of health is necessary too because omg he hits like a truck. Motrin pain I am talking about lol. I got one tame down to 4 seconds before I got feared, and he had me down to 4k health from 20k. Having a priest who can help you will make a world of difference. But sometimes priests can be hard to find, and just staring at your beauty hoping that someone else doesnt come down to kill him is hard enough as it is.

But in the end he's worth all the trouble :) so its your decision which one you want to tame. King Mosh is a beauty as well, I called mine Mosh Pit and if you wanted another challenge there is also King Dred, hes a boss you can tame and it's quite the thrill to tame a boss thats for sure!

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Phyra »

Edit as of 5/22/10 - 7:30 PM

OH bleh. Frankly I'm still angry at what happened....

Nutshell: Taming King Krush with my husband, and someone comes along and kills him despite having no right to the kill / not their tag.

--------

I'm taking this time to both ask for suggestions in streamlining my taming process, as well as fixing errors to correct any bungles that happened due to my part.

My current Macro:

/cast bestial wrath
/script PetAbandon()
/use shard of the crystal heart
/use potion of speed
/use 8
/cast deterrence

Separate button for /Cast Tame Beast -- I kept it parted due to the fact I feared the Global Cooldown for the macro would interfere with the Tame Beast. I would have had him on my first attempt if not for the fact that I gained aggro and accidentally mouse clicked away/moved to break my first tame process the second time. The FIRST time I double clicked the dang Tame Beast button because my NPCSCAN's box was over my tame bar.

I had hoped that I could recover, and hit tame again. No dice.

By this time my husband was able to scoot in on his Shaman to help. He layed down the tremor / healing totems. I tamed a quick trash pet. Unfortunately we aggroed, admittedly messy, several packs of mobs. We were dealing with them, entertaining Krush, and getting organized. My trash pet dies. I start taming another trash pet and a Priest decides to kill it while I'm taming him. I guess he thought he was being helpful. At this point, we're paranoid to lose the tag since there is this other guy, and who knows who else around.

Long story short. Middle of our attempts to retame a trash pet, someone decides to be "helpful" and kill Krush. A few attempts were tempered by the fact I was on Cool Down of my Engineering 'use' of gloves, pots, and other things.

Any aid in fixing/tweaking my macros to help better my chances is greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to use Deterrence AND the Tame Beast or should I hit them separately?

Thank you
Kastarakovski
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Saurfang, Icecrown, Ysera, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kastarakovski »

*cracks knuckles*
Alrighty, babe, let's see what I can do to help:

Spec 51/5/15 - stamina specific build - this gives you some added insurance against Krush's critical hits
http://huntsmanslodge.com/images/king_k ... t_spec.jpg

Recommended haste in the past was 1500. These days, 1000 is a more viable level. 800 if you get impatient, like I did XD
Stamina at least 24k (Kas did it with 22k, others have done it with 20k, but it's recommended at least 23/24k. 25k if you're ICC25 geared).
Heavy Borean Armor Kits. Every bit of stamina helps regardless of the enchants you override. Don't go in thinking the beast won't crit you on the first strike. The mo'fo WILL do it just for that reason alone >_>;

Kas is a Troll, so Berserking did wonders to smash the casting time.
For those races not Trollish by nature, Potions of Speed are epicawesome. Stock up on 'em. Don't go in with just 5 like I did.

Have Baked Manta Ray up on you at all times.
Aspect Mastery - Aspect of the Dragonhawk (no brainer I know, but some people have done it with Viper on the first few attempts without realising *coughs*)

If you still have them, Fezzik's Pocketwatch and Thorny Rose Brooch are excellent examples of extra haste trinkets.
If not, any trinkets that have haste/can be haste-gemmed will do. Stained-Glass Shard Ring is also a nice little ring to have equipped.

Engineering items I have no experience with, hon. However if they have a long cooldown (over 5 minutes) they should be avoided.
As you outlined above, some smartass who thinks he's being "of service" is not going to bloody well hesitate because you're "on cooldown". They're not going to give a turkey, lovey. I'd use them if you think you're going to nail him on the first try, but I would veto their usage otherwise if the first attempt fails. Back-up plans are essential <3

Pet abandon should be its own separate macro. As long as it's separate, you won't have an issue retaming another trash pet if your attempts fail. Believe me on that one. Bestial wrath should also be its own macro. Yes, I realise it helps to put it within another one when your action bars are full, but if you want a smooth taming, you won't make the mistake of doing that again. If you can manage it on Phyra and the separate macros work, on an alt that goes for Krush you can then bank the macros inside one another. But since Phyra's going for it, you want a steady sequence of macros that are all in a row. The panic you get into when there's only two macros WILL make you click something else entirely and ruin your attempt/s.

Situation wise, track Krush into an area where no mobs will bother you, at least for 20 seconds. Taking him on in a high-risk area lessens your chances of getting him tamed successfully and will attract attention of the entirely wrong kind if you fail. Try to get him in an area that has neutral trash pets about. I would recommend a Gorilla just to spec them into Thunderstomp to buy you a few precious seconds of getting ready to pop everything. Plus he'll be tracking the Gorilla immediately after the first fear, so when you hit pet abandon, you'll get a few more seconds of precious taming bar time down. I've also heard a Tallstrider will make Krush's first attack miss, but if he doesn't fear you straight off the bat, you might find he'll fear you midway. Do try the Tallstrider option though, I'm interested to see whether or not it'd be a viable trash pet for Laz in her attempt.

Okay, now that all that rambling is out of the way, your icons/macros as they should line up on your action bars situated right in front of you, as follows:

Baked Manta Ray (this is vital when you're out looking for the bastard - two stacks minimum - prior to finding him and sizing him up, EAT)

(After sizing him up, tag him with a Scorpid Sting, then...)

/cast Scroll of Stamina VIII
/cast Elixir of Mighty Fortitude

(Send trash pet in to give Krush what for for a few moments or until Dust Cloud/Thunderstomp is cast. Wait for Krush's first fear to go off, then...)

/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Rabid
/cast Kill Command

/script PetAbandon()

Deterrence

#showtooltip Tame Beast
/use Potion of Speed
/use 13
/use 14
/cast !Tame Beast

(Hopefully one flash of light and a resized green dino, but if not, Feign Death, and...)

Trash pet tame macro:
#showtooltip Tame Beast
/cast !Tame Beast

(Lather, rinse, repeat and pray for no douchebaggery from outside jerkwads, take two!)

Make sure every macro has its own special icon to identify it, so that when pressed in a sequence in a moment of sheer bloody panic, everything goes smooth as silk and the only things you should be watching out for are other douchebags, the taming bar and his bastard way of fearing.

Note, this is solo tame, no fear ward, no tremor totems, no healing method.
If you have any of those, go in knowing you have the backup I didn't have. GOOD LUCK BABE!

Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Phyra »

You are a darling and I love you <3

With all her stuff popped (not including' Ty's Shaman, as he may or may not be around) I can push 1700 Haste. That part at least is not a problem! :D I definitely will look at tweaking my build to ensure Phyra has the stamina required for Krush. I was doing ok if not for that dang dreadsaber -- in fact had over 7k left at two tame attempts.

I neglected to mention in my prior post I do have the following use items:

Potion of Speed
Elixir of Fortitude
Elixir of Lightning
Accelerator Gloves - Engineering Thing
The haste on use trinket (forget the name)
Scroll of Fortitude (the big one... )
Baked Manta Ray

So at the very least, I think I'm covered by the basics. I'm usually 21-23k health..depending. I really need to redo some of my gear for more stam, I suppose, but at least I'm not attempting it with lv76 gear :D

On some of the scripting stuff, can it be in a 1 button thing, or advisable to be a 2-3 button thing?

I also usually buff the scrolls / elixirs before starting.. but definitely will look at starting off with Scorpid sting..

Thank you so much for the input n' the like so far! I'll definitely let you know how my other new attempts go... and I'll be reviewing this for macro-making.

Also, and this is a nub question, is Tame Beast and Deterrence on the same CD? Can they be used in a macro together?

IE:

/cast deterrence
/cast tame beast
Kastarakovski
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I haven't tried Deterrence and Tame Beast together. I'd test it on a trash pet to be sure that the GCD isn't shared. I've only heard that if Deterrence is Cast first and then Tame Beast immediately after buys you a few precious seconds of misses from Krush. I didn't try it myself with Kas, but I'm gearing up for Laz's solo tame when the stable slots go live, so I'd like to gain some confirmation that it works as a one click/one click sequence in the taming procedure.

Scorpid sting's tick doesn't always ensure a first strike miss, but it helps for additional safety. I used it on Kas for the first two times but luck wasn't with me. Hopefully it'll be with you. Krush has an uncanny habit of launching fear either once straight off the bat, or twice in a row when you're picking yourself up from a failed tame. Scorpid Sting, Deterrence and Bestial Wrath only provide a tiny window of protection against the first strike, but I'd tag him with an auto-shot first and then a Scorpid Sting just before clicking BW and Abandoning the trash pet.

It's advisable to have 2 -3 button macros in a sequence, especially if you're a first-timer against Krush. It trains you to follow a sequence, accounting for panic. If you've got Krush's tame down perfectly on your main, any susequent alt can have one-button macros. But I'm a bit of a stickler myself and I've learned panic and one-button taming doesn't mix with Krush...you tend to go looking for the next button in sequence and can screw up nicely and get y'self killed XD

It helps that Ty's there with you - an extra set of eyes against potential douchebags. I'd bring more of your guildies along if they're online for a bit more "keep the eff away!" protection. Something I tend to do to healthfully ensure any idiot who tries anything doesn't get screw all is take him down to half health before starting a tame (which also increases the danger of an unsuccessful tame - I don't recommend anyone doing this unless you like feeling your hands sweat, your heart pound and your brain fling curses at your conscience XD). It's also wise that, when finding Krush, to do a /who in Sholazar. You'll get a vague idea of how vulnerable he really is given the population milling about. Be a night owl however - on weekends if you have a bit of time, fly about the Basin on an alliance/horde main and note the periods of heavy traffic. Better taming chances happen late at night or very early in the AM (however, that requires a more proper in-depth look at the spawn timer and if you don't have that sort of energy or time to do so, it's pretty much pick a rare and hope for the best!)

I think I've rambled enough though XD

Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Phyra »

So just to have everything confirmed and ready to be cut-and-pasted into my Macro buttons

---------------------------------------
MACRO1

/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Rabid
/cast Kill Command

MACRO2

/script PetAbandon()
/use shard of the crystal heart
/use potion of speed
/use 8
/cast deterrence

(*NOTE - Should Pet Abandon be its own macro or is it alright to loop into either 1 or 2? )

MACRO3

/cast Tame Beast
Kastarakovski
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Pet Abandon can be grouped into another macro, but I play it safe and make it is own little clickable button because I panic far, far too much XD
If you're a panicker like me, make it is own macro. If not, grouped with Macro 2 should work just fine.

Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Phyra »

Aaaand just learned something that tosses a wrench in my gears...

On use items, IE the trinket I have and my Accelerator gloves from engineering, have an internal cooldown which forbids them to be used in sequence of one another.

Poo.

Guess need to find a trinket that is just a ton of haste on 'equip' and not use.

EDIT:

I've now found and gotten Battlemaster's Vivacity in replacement of the on use gloves.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=42135/battl ... s-vivacity

This should help the Health issues that KK usually has, as well as it can have EQUIPPED haste stats that do not counter the internal cooldown of other enchants/trinkets/use haste items. There is no conflict using this trinket with the potions and other items.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

I'll have to admit, when I tamed Krush, I just yelled in guild for a priest to get over to me nownownownownow and give me fear ward..

But my tame was complicated by a druid that kept trying to "help" and almost wound up killing him. On 3 prior sightings, I either got killed and he was dead before I came back, or he was killed while I was trying to regroup from a failed attempt.

So, when I finally saw him again, I wasn't going to take a chance, and screamed for the priest. :-)

A pocket-priest will do you wonders.. :D
Account has been closed at user's request.