A Question from someone somewhat new to taming rares.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jacuzzi
Realm: Dalaran

A Question from someone somewhat new to taming rares.

Unread post by Jacuzzi »

Hello,

I have a question about taming some pets. A pet will say its tamable, but when you go to tame it you get an error message saying something like "You are not high enough of a level to tame this pet". I was trying to tame that boss spider in Gu-Lai (91 reg), I also tried to tame that blue crab on the timeless isle. I am at the highest level as far as I know..This might be a stupid question, but is there a way to be able to tame these pets, or others like them (these were just two examples)..

Please let me know either way, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer this..

Have a nice day!
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Re: A Question from someone somewhat new to taming rares.

Unread post by Dewclaw »

It won't let you tame stuff higher than you are, so you'd have to wait until you're level 91 (next expansion).
Jacuzzi

Unread post by Jacuzzi »

Thank you for your quick response... I wasn't sure if there was something like the dagger or gloves that increased your skinning by +30...

Thanks again.
Snowwalker
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Suramar

Unread post by Snowwalker »

Nupe, it's just that:
you cannot tame anything that is higher level than you
You cannot tame most creatures already someone's npc pet. It'll say already controlled
Some beasts are Beast Master spec only. These are known as exotics. See petopia's pet listing for clarification
'Most' boss type beasts. There are a few exceptions, like Chrommagus and Black stalker. Again, check the list

You probably already know that some beasts are rares, and have the silver dragon portrait. Soemtimes these can be a real challenge to get ahold of. They take patience.

Some beasts are challenge tames. They have a special gimmick to taming them. Some you have to track and flare out.

Don't forget to take your rareluck along when you go hunting, and here's some more good luck!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm curious how you got all the way to level 90 without knowing that there is a level restriction on pet tames.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Jacuzzi

Unread post by Jacuzzi »

I really didn't pay attention..I tamed one pet and kept it all the way to 90...When I started raiding, the raid leader said for me to tame certain pets for raid buffs...so I just went and did that...I knew you couldn't tame some things, but I would always use Beast Lore to see information about the pet. I recently started looking for rares, I tamed Degu, Terrorpine, Arcturis, and Karoma..and ones with certain rarer skin types, like Ashtail, Chiaa, and the black dragonhawk in Burning Steppes. I just looked at Beast Lore, and if it said it was tamable, I would try to tame it..Since I was already high level, it never occurred to me that I couldn't tame anything higher..

Sorry if that makes me sound like a noob, but I liked my pet I originally had, and just kept it all the way through. Now I found that searching for, and catching rares is a different challenge, I'm doing more and more of that.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

It's okay not knowing something. Some people don't become pet lovers til much much later. It's not something a hunter is absolutely required to know before hitting 90(believe me, you have a lot of other priorities. Pet level taming is near the bottom).

Snowwalker is correct is everything she said. :3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Jacuzzi

Unread post by Jacuzzi »

Thank you..I appreciate all the assistance and kind words..I only play this hunter..though I recently made a Pandaren monk, but i stopped at level 31..I just like playing a hunter...There's so much diversity in being a hunter, and I love not having to stand still to shoot...Right now, I use my Terrorpene to tank and do dalies..I wish i had had a turtle when I was l leveling..shell shield is so awesome...

Right now, I've been trying for one of the hardest (at least I think so) to find..Loque...I go there everyday, sometimes 2-3 times a day, but with different servers sharing, he never seems to be up...I'll get him someday...just have to be patient..I did tame Aeotona the colored bird over there...

As I said before, thanks for the kind words...and good luck with your stable of pets..
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Aotona is a beautiful find! Grats on getting her! :3 You'll love having her I bet.

Loque is extremely elusive. You may need to camp for him with CRZ in place. Luckily the area isn't as populated as it once was.

LisaaraPokefarm

Demonicow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Echo Isles

Unread post by Demonicow »

a few pro tips about loque

1. there are seven spots it is wise to camp one spot and wait for many days on end if your lucky u will get him in a single day if you are unlucky it could be a year
2. loque is easy to spot and generally has a 10 minute life span(considering crz+ ppl wanting to tame + ppl wanting to get the frost bitten achiev
3. Gimme LOQUE! er i mean loque will spawn every hour or every half hour and sometime at ??:50 and spawns every 3/6 hours so keep track of time and ask around but whatever u do dont tell anybody if ya find him ppl will just try to get a killsteal or tamesteal and would be disappointed either way
4. when a server restart is going to occur take the time u have to position urself in a spawn spot and wait till it restarts
5. be calm whenever a rare spawn appears some hunters get too exited and make mistakes (like i did when i got skoll) and remember to have an empty pet slot available and have your pet dismissed at all times while waiting otherwise you could accidentally kill your tame without knowing

and thats all from my many years of hunter experience

ps. Gimme loque!

pss. srsly guys gimme loque /cry
"Y’know, Taurens are born hunters. You ever see a Tauren catch a salmon out of a stream? It really is quite exciting. You ever see a Tauren stalk a python? 'Course you haven't. That's because Tauren are so adept at blending in with their surroundings."

"Five curses and spite live in each gnome this truth cant be ignored, the best way to get rid of a gnome is to throw that Gnome Overboard.""

Armory
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Demonicow wrote:a few pro tips about loque

1. there are seven spots it is wise to camp one spot and wait for many days on end if your lucky u will get him in a single day if you are unlucky it could be a year
2. loque is easy to spot and generally has a 10 minute life span(considering crz+ ppl wanting to tame + ppl wanting to get the frost bitten achiev
3. Gimme LOQUE! er i mean loque will spawn every hour or every half hour and sometime at ??:50 and spawns every 3/6 hours so keep track of time and ask around but whatever u do dont tell anybody if ya find him ppl will just try to get a killsteal or tamesteal and would be disappointed either way
4. when a server restart is going to occur take the time u have to position urself in a spawn spot and wait till it restarts
5. be calm whenever a rare spawn appears some hunters get too exited and make mistakes (like i did when i got skoll) and remember to have an empty pet slot available and have your pet dismissed at all times while waiting otherwise you could accidentally kill your tame without knowing

and thats all from my many years of hunter experience

ps. Gimme loque!

pss. srsly guys gimme loque /cry
Number 3 is not actually true. I've had loque spawn at all sorts of times. and Server restarts are not a guarantree that he will be up.

LisaaraPokefarm

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

As stated Loque is one of the most elusive pets ever to roam these lands and to tame her she has to want to be tamed I have only seen this beautiful beast four times since I started way back in Wrath the first was on my 90 DK and I got the achievement out of the way that was way back when I first traveled there years ago. The second was when my hunter was 75 I saw her wanted to tame so bad but helped a fellow hunter at least get her, this third time was my time I flew to all her spawns and the last one under Skyreach was where she was and I got her, fourth and final I helped again another hunter. I am not really looking now for her since she is in my stable but if you need help I am on Blackwater Raiders and can look for you or anyone who wishes to find her.
Jacuzzi

Unread post by Jacuzzi »

Crestonwolf73 wrote:As stated Loque is one of the most elusive pets ever to roam these lands and to tame her she has to want to be tamed I have only seen this beautiful beast four times since I started way back in Wrath the first was on my 90 DK and I got the achievement out of the way that was way back when I first traveled there years ago. The second was when my hunter was 75 I saw her wanted to tame so bad but helped a fellow hunter at least get her, this third time was my time I flew to all her spawns and the last one under Skyreach was where she was and I got her, fourth and final I helped again another hunter. I am not really looking now for her since she is in my stable but if you need help I am on Blackwater Raiders and can look for you or anyone who wishes to find her.
I appreciate the offer...I have a couple people in my guild who are leveling alts, and are in that area a lot, keeping an eye out for me. I started playing right around Wrath, and have never saw her, and I only ever saw King Krush once..Unfortunately, I couldn't tame him, because just when I started my tame, a horde killed him just to spite me. He was walking on the path right by the camp, so there were others around. But a good friend back in the day was farming and she knew I was looking for Arcturis, she saw him, and thank goodness we had "Have Group Will Travel" at that time..and I got my elusive bear.

I messed up though yesterday. I was getting ready to do Firelands 25 man to help out some friends for achievements, and i saw Banth'alos..I got lucky, landed pretty quick on the treetop, set my freeze trap..mounted up..hit him with concussive shot, but I forgot to hit deterrence, and he killed me as he froze...I came back quick, he was still frozen, but for the life of me I couldn't land back on that spot and he got away, only to be killed by a horde again a few minutes later.

But I did get an easy tame, of a unique creature..I won't use him for anything but show...but I tamed Gib the Banana Hoarder..I think that fez he wears is so cool...I think he's now my 2nd favorite pet. (My favorite is my Lynx named appropriately..HotTub (Jacuzzi).I had forgotten about him, but I was doing some archaeology, NPC scan went off and I got him...I also got a companion to Ashtail in Bushtail in Elywnn Forest. I'm sitting at about 18 pets right now..I think, besides Loque and King Krush, I'm going to look for Skoll, and keep trying for Ban'thalos.

I know to most of you that have been doing pet collecting this doesn't sound like much, but I'm slowly getting a pretty nice group of rarer skin pets. Since I already have Degu, which I did only getting killed one time (I read up on how to tame him and watched a video), I'm not going after the other two Spectral Porcupines. I'm no good at tracking, so I had a friend help me find a Quillen for raiding, she found him in like 2 min, I flared and tamed it..I'm glad I did now that the beautiful Vale is now basically destroyed.

I'm glad I started collecting pets..some are really a challenge..and it can get boring just questing and farming leather..And, as Demonicow said, sometimes, its hard to be calm, when the NPC Scan alarm goes off, and a pet you've been working hard to get appears..

I'm very glad I asked my stupid question to start posting over here...You all have been so friendly and nice. It really is appreciated very much. Have a great rest of the day, and again, thank you all so much.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

The thing that makes Loque elusive is not only CRZ, he's also apart of an achievement. Frost Bitten. All of the Sholazar Trio are on it.

LisaaraPokefarm

ligewolf
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: the Underbog/ Moonrunner (H) US

Unread post by ligewolf »

dont forget to get that sporebat! No stable is complete without a sporebat!