Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: [Blizzcon] Possible new hunter pets

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Wain wrote:It's probably unlikely to be a dragonhawk, since as far as I know there aren't any native to Draenor. There were plenty in Outland but that was only because they came with the Blood Elves.

For Draenor, a spirit spiny raptor might work well, or spirit two-headed vulture (if the model was updated). A spirit new-model chimaera might be pretty cool, though. We also know from the trailers that the new bat model occurs in Draenor and a spirit bat of that style would be pretty cool too.

I was thinking about the Vultures also.

So when Draenor was destroyed and the energies were enough to twist the Arroka from their beautiful winged forms into what we know them as now. Could that be the reason as to why a lot of the fauna of outland evolved/mutated from what we know them as now? (Outland Hydras, Chimaeras, Vultures and Raptors models?)
Now with us traveling to the pre shattered Draenor and already seeing a "Savage" primal version of a Chimaera, would that lead us to believe that there will be other non-evolved/mutated versions of these very distinctly outland flavoured Beasts... Will we see the return of the missing Cataclysm designed “Spiny” Raptors?... or maybe a new "Savage" form of Vultures, that lived on Draenor prior to the sundering? The mind… it boggles.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I know right? so many possibilities! :D
I was just thinking about talbuk, nether ray, revenger and wind serpent possibilities. both in new colors and spirit beasts. I'm not particularly fond of any of those pets but I know there are hunters who would really love new skins or spirit beasts in that department. As for myself I always loved the outland chimeras so I'm really interested in finding out what will happen to them and the warp stalkers. (waprie spirit beast? yes please!) I also really whant to see what the hydras will look like now. *crossing fingers.*

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

Hmm... lot of good thinking there. Hopefully they will be able to put more time into the rares this go around. MoP was dissapointing in that regard.

If you look at the new boar and compare to the current hellboar, you can extrapolate what their thinking might be for other beasts, to have a savage but uncorrupted versions.

Will be very interesting to watch and see what they decide to make.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I hope they stay true to the previous trends of adding one-three new tamable families that existed before (Beetles and Dogs, Basilisks and Water Striders...) Personally hoping most for Kunchongs and Mushan/Yaks!

Can I get a screenie of the new bat model in that dungeon? I haven't been able to find it myself :(
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

You can't really see the bats clearly, they were in the background in one quick pan through an orgre area, but just from the movements I gathered they were the newer models (and even without that I'm sure they wouldn't use the old blocky vanilla ones in such a new zone). So I'm 99.9% they're the new bats, and it feels pretty likely we'd be able to tame them. :)
Sherbe
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor-EU, Korgall-EU. Bloodhoof-EU

Unread post by Sherbe »

Ever since I came to know about WOD, I've actually been thinking about the species in Outland, species in Azeroth and possible species of Draenor. I'd like to know which animals are from which place. I'm thinking that cats are only native to Azeroth, since there are so few of them in Outland that they can have been brought and escaped. Wolves, however seem to be native to both places, since orcs have always had wolves but then again Night elves have their own freaking wolf-demigod. It bugs me a little since they are not different like Azeroth/outland hydras are, or even the two-headed carrion birds are.
I like place-specific species, like clefthooves&elekks&talbuks only in Draenor/Outland, yaks&mushan only in Pandaria, kodos in central Kalimdor, etc.

I'm really really excited about more sporebats to be honest :) and this would be a perfect time to do something to make the "untamable" lose its title....

Hydra sig by Vephriel, may this hydra soon befriend Sherbe!

Slickrock

One thing that I'm curious about that I hope to hear the story on is those Bubbles in Netherstorm, and see if we get any back story on those, and why the Ethereals are protecting flora and fauna, when they don't seem to be the type to care that much about those things.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Slickrock wrote:One thing that I'm curious about that I hope to hear the story on is those Bubbles in Netherstorm, and see if we get any back story on those, and why the Ethereals are protecting flora and fauna, when they don't seem to be the type to care that much about those things.
They do care. They did have a world before our own. Theirs was destroyed by the voidlords. They're not as heartless as you think and care a lot more about nature tan goblins do.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Slickrock

Hmm... well I hope we see some of that story then.. are they there on Dreanor now?
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Slickrock wrote:Hmm... well I hope we see some of that story then.. are they there on Dreanor now?
I don't believe so. They didn't show up until after Draenor got smashed.

LisaaraPokefarm

Lycanthea
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Lycanthea »

I don't like the dragonfly concept art (save for the fact it has 4 wings it does NOT look like a dragonfly to me at all), but the idea of a dragonfly mount/pet is cool. Would prefer it to look a little more realistically like a dragonfly, and I hope they don't give it the wasp flying animation - it needs a proper dragonfly hover.

The riverbeast looks interesting, I like that they've added a new family, I hope it has a unique ability.

New wolf is a bit meh (we already have 3 wolf models... do we need more?), but I do like the new hellboar model - is it going to replace the original hellboars?

I love the toucan and the new mammoths (oh PLEASE give us a toucan pet PLEASE!? xD) maybe there will be a new jungle / rainforest environment on draenor somewhere for the toucans to live?

Not sure about the tallstrider concept art... maybe it will grow on me...
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Lycanthea wrote:I don't like the dragonfly concept art (save for the fact it has 4 wings it does NOT look like a dragonfly to me at all), but the idea of a dragonfly mount/pet is cool. Would prefer it to look a little more realistically like a dragonfly.
I feel the same way; it looks more like some kind of amalgam than a proper insect. Still, it's just the concept art, so the in-game model may end up looking much different. Gah, I've wanted a flying insect mount for so long, I don't want to sound ungrateful!
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

If you recall, it's supposed to me an ancient dragonfly like a dinosaur. Not an actual one like we know IRL.

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Really ancient dragonflies looked very much like modern ones, though much larger. Probably due to the much higher oxygen levels at the time.

But I figured the artist was more re-interpreting the words "dragon - fly" rather than depicting anything like an actual "dragonfly". But anyway, it's concept art, so who knows what we may end up with, if anything. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wain wrote:Really ancient dragonflies looked very much like modern ones, though much larger. Probably due to the much higher oxygen levels at the time.

But I figured the artist was more re-interpreting the words "dragon - fly" rather than depicting anything like an actual "dragonfly". But anyway, it's concept art, so who knows what we may end up with, if anything. :)
Well you know what I meant. They were going with a prehistoric look which it definitely looks prehistoric. And yeah, I agree with the dragon fly bit.

LisaaraPokefarm

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Don’t forget it that we aren't in Kansas anymore, we are visiting… a whole new world (Insert monkey with fez and flying rug here)
This might well be exactly what a dragonfly looks like on Draenor, in fact they might see what we know to be a dragonfly and think...
"save for the fact it has 4 wings it does NOT look like a dragonfly to me at all"

And again, sometime what we see in concept can turn out exactly the same in game,

and other times, it might not even appear/resemble it's original.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I love the Dragonfly concept. No, it doesn't look like a Dragonfly, but it's insectoid, and it has this savage, primal look to it that says "prehistoric", and I love that. I hope it makes it in almost exactly like it is on the art, because I really - really think it's awesome.

About the Mantaxx.. do realize that those might still come to exist in someway somehow. Not giving it a high chance, but Nerubians presumably evolved from spiders, Qiraji are ascended (by C'Thun) versions of Silithids, and Mantids could still be the evolved versions of the Mantaxx. Both could still exist, and Mantids existing does not have to rule out the Mantaxx.

About the Sporebat art: on the right.. have I just always looked at it wrong, or is that a different design? If so -- can it make its way into WoW, along with Spiritbinders's sporebat designs? xP
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I just want to clarify that I like the feel of it, I want my dragonfly to look badass! I'm just saying that I'd prefer a design that is ancient, savage, primal And is still a insect. I do like how the tail seems inspired by clubtail dragonflies.

My main objection is the "mouth".
Slickrock

Dragonfly... don't get me started... too late....

I have no problems with the artwork itself, but the naming thing is a hot button for me. Blizz needs a science officer. They have a LONG history of using names that we know for things that look completely different, and then turning around and making something that looks like that first name, but giving it an entirely different name. Fish icons in Wrath were really bad for this (salmon and trout icons should have been swapped), and a whole bunch of the mineral nodes don't make sense. I have enough of a science background to know what they used as source material, and it always irks me when I see that artists looked at pretty pictures and then grabbed a different name.

Seriously.. they need a science officer. Where do I apply?
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

GormanGhaste wrote:I just want to clarify that I like the feel of it, I want my dragonfly to look badass! I'm just saying that I'd prefer a design that is ancient, savage, primal And is still a insect. I do like how the tail seems inspired by clubtail dragonflies.

My main objection is the "mouth".

The main charm is the mouth for me*. A mix between bestial and insectoid. Or well -- the entire head. I guess it's not Dragonfly-ish, but I'm sure Blizzard will just say/think:

And don't kill me, but I hope they do keep the head, tail and legs as it is myself.

EDIT: Forgot 'for me'*.
Slickrock wrote:Dragonfly... don't get me started... too late....

I have no problems with the artwork itself, but the naming thing is a hot button for me. Blizz needs a science officer. They have a LONG history of using names that we know for things that look completely different, and then turning around and making something that looks like that first name, but giving it an entirely different name. Fish icons in Wrath were really bad for this (salmon and trout icons should have been swapped), and a whole bunch of the mineral nodes don't make sense. I have enough of a science background to know what they used as source material, and it always irks me when I see that artists looked at pretty pictures and then grabbed a different name.

Seriously.. they need a science officer. Where do I apply?

Well, Azeroth and Draenor are different places from Earth, you know. Technically, they are allowed to call all their creatures after sexual acts, and people would have to deal with it. :P

(I'm sure it'd hike the ESRB rating up by quite a bit, though. )
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!