New Character Models Discussion - Update! Fem Gnome Faces

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: New Character Models confirmed as well as new Expansion!

Unread post by Lisaara »

Shalyth wrote:All I can say is DEM HORNS

Like, can we please have horns that long and maybe while they're at it, a similar hairstyle to that? I've never seen such a sexy draenei before till now. (big fan of the long tails too but I have a personal preference to bestial and semi-bestial species from every corner of lore and imagination with long tails so I admit to being biased in that regard xD)
You and me both. The more exotic looking, the better. :D

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

PatchouliKnowledge

Unread post by PatchouliKnowledge »

Nachtwulf wrote:]It's terrible. It isn't good for anything! What's more, they altered their stance so they're more 'vertical' than the males, so in real practice, their tail makes even less sense since their balance would be absolutely abysmal. Digitigrade legs need a counterbalance. That ridiculous little afterthought is NOT a valid tail.

I've been mad about this since BC came out and I complained about it then. I'm STILL going to complain about it because it makes no sense. Hell, look at ALL THE OFFICIAL ART and they have at least decently-long tails. I don't know what moron decided to make it that..... thing... instead. Only the fanart shows them with stubby tails and that's because it's based on the game models.

Edit to include what I mean:
From a CG Modeler's POV, that sort of act would require not only a buggy, but actually rather moot and excruciating attention to unneeded detail to the race that would be pretty much on par with making Naga a playable race. It would make the body model too long, and thus cause clickbloxes to be too broad, and thus cause players to cry about being too easily targeted in PVP, and healers cry about female draenei being too hard to click around (see tyrials [spelling?] charger) and then cause them to require to shorten a click box which would cause bugs, which would cause extensive work which would cause other players to complain when the change is made, or the error is too significant, or they just don't like it. There's a pretty big list of why adding ridiculously long appendages to any body model and let them sway like the default way would. And "Well they could just have it sway to the sides!" you will say. And what, have the cape do the same? The cape links to the tail end of the skeletal model as it is. You wouldn't want to have your cool cape sit there at such an oblong angle 99% of the time you stand still, let alone move. Then comes square one, moving, the click box would be extended regardless, because as it is, the tail reaches outward a bit when they walk, but not enough to extend the clickbox past the default tauren model's range. Then comes another issue, Hitbox. Hitbox is based on model size, we see it today in the game's model size, mind you its more cylindrical based, (See half of Throne of Thunder's bosses. Too lazy to name specifics) subject to change, but on a player basis, its rather limited to a set "Where the model ends" box, a variable hitbox would be not only disastrous to the rendering medium, but CPUs as well. a variable always being adjusted is taxing, sometimes little, sometimes greatly (see Physics engines), if you move, or just shimmy shimmy shimmy.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Junrei wrote:
Shalyth wrote:All I can say is DEM HORNS

Like, can we please have horns that long and maybe while they're at it, a similar hairstyle to that? I've never seen such a sexy draenei before till now. (big fan of the long tails too but I have a personal preference to bestial and semi-bestial species from every corner of lore and imagination with long tails so I admit to being biased in that regard xD)
You and me both. The more exotic looking, the better. :D
I've said this for years. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. (Yes, I've even linked that art time and time again. The face and horns can just be options, and I do want a more exotic, more mature and experienced face, and larger horns like that. The tail would obviously not be, because that'd be a bit too hard, unless they add one more customization category for every race, and for draenei, that'd be the tail. (longer tail, diffferent kinds of jewelry)

PatchouliKnowledge wrote:
Nachtwulf wrote:]It's terrible. It isn't good for anything! What's more, they altered their stance so they're more 'vertical' than the males, so in real practice, their tail makes even less sense since their balance would be absolutely abysmal. Digitigrade legs need a counterbalance. That ridiculous little afterthought is NOT a valid tail.

I've been mad about this since BC came out and I complained about it then. I'm STILL going to complain about it because it makes no sense. Hell, look at ALL THE OFFICIAL ART and they have at least decently-long tails. I don't know what moron decided to make it that..... thing... instead. Only the fanart shows them with stubby tails and that's because it's based on the game models.

Edit to include what I mean:
From a CG Modeler's POV, that sort of act would require not only a buggy, but actually rather moot and excruciating attention to unneeded detail to the race that would be pretty much on par with making Naga a playable race. It would make the body model too long, and thus cause clickbloxes to be too broad, and thus cause players to cry about being too easily targeted in PVP, and healers cry about female draenei being too hard to click around (see tyrials [spelling?] charger) and then cause them to require to shorten a click box which would cause bugs, which would cause extensive work which would cause other players to complain when the change is made, or the error is too significant, or they just don't like it. There's a pretty big list of why adding ridiculously long appendages to any body model and let them sway like the default way would. And "Well they could just have it sway to the sides!" you will say. And what, have the cape do the same? The cape links to the tail end of the skeletal model as it is. You wouldn't want to have your cool cape sit there at such an oblong angle 99% of the time you stand still, let alone move. Then comes square one, moving, the click box would be extended regardless, because as it is, the tail reaches outward a bit when they walk, but not enough to extend the clickbox past the default tauren model's range. Then comes another issue, Hitbox. Hitbox is based on model size, we see it today in the game's model size, mind you its more cylindrical based, (See half of Throne of Thunder's bosses. Too lazy to name specifics) subject to change, but on a player basis, its rather limited to a set "Where the model ends" box, a variable hitbox would be not only disastrous to the rendering medium, but CPUs as well. a variable always being adjusted is taxing, sometimes little, sometimes greatly (see Physics engines), if you move, or just shimmy shimmy shimmy.

Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I really think the best idea if they did add a longer tail is to have it as an option as there are a lot of people (myself included) who like the small tails. There would be a lot of really upset people if they totally changed the tails on them like that and did not have it as an option.

If they did that then it's win win for everyone!
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I'm not advocating making the tails AS long as that picture, but it sure makes more sense from an aesthetic and anatomical standpoint that they'd be longer. I'd like them to be more or less like a refined/slimmer version of what the males have, with the same carriage and a more relaxed standing posture. Therefore the argument that they 'can't be modeled' for whatever reason goes out the window because obviously they can be, since the male draenei have tails that are just fine thank you. Male draenei have long, mobile tails that work fine with their capes and fine with mounts, and fine with sitting down, and fine with everything. I just don't feel that female draenei should have tails like some immobile afterthought. (BUTTSNAKE)

Anyway. I do think we're likely to get better horns based on the new art of Y'rel (who's horns are spiffy). They aren't as busy as the concept art, but they seem like a simplified (and thus more practical from a model standpoint) version of the same idea. Personally, I want ram horns. Not just curved but a full spiral like the Sisters in Sunwell. Anyway, the old horns have some weird clipping issues with some of the hair, so I think that's something they'd be inclined to fix.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Mozag wrote:you're DYING to try that Dark Iron thing out on the female model, right? RIGHT?
And done :)

Aaaaah! Thank you, she's gorgeous. Oh my goodness she's gorgeous. I LOVE that artwork anyway, as it encompasses everything I like about Dwarf girls. She's sexy, and cute and strong and badass. I love her outfit too, and the hair! Okay, just going to go and drool over it some more. :)
Thank you so much for making it, I didn't want to impose - I just got so very excited when I saw your male version!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Qraljar wrote:Image
Awesome, Thanks Qraljar. So as I was saying,
SpiritBinder wrote: That said with the model and animation updates (and Draenei coming back to the lore forefront this coming Exp) they may also add more bones/animations to make it look more fluid and less stiff
:lol:

But as with cows, I still hope if it is added, it's added as an optional feature (eg. Horn style, Tail style, etc.)

And Mozag, my pleasure :hug:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Glad I could help, Spiritbinder and the rest.

And yeah. It's a bit iffy. My opinion is that Blizzard should add one more customization section per race. Piercings for trolls, tails for Draenei, etc.

Though, if I have to choose for one, I'd rather get a long tail for Draenei, given that they are generally, in art, shown to have long tails. Plus, they just look better with it to me.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Qraljar wrote:Glad I could help, Spiritbinder and the rest.

And yeah. It's a bit iffy. My opinion is that Blizzard should add one more customization section per race. Piercings for trolls, tails for Draenei, etc.

Though, if I have to choose for one, I'd rather get a long tail for Draenei, given that they are generally, in art, shown to have long tails. Plus, they just look better with it to me.
agreed and they should do this for the Worgen too. they look so weird without tails.

LisaaraPokefarm

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Wain wrote:The Forsaken look for other races is a pretty cool idea. The high elf looks fantastic.

I'm not sure of the lore, but I thought the Forsaken were supposed to be the citizens of Lordaeron, which were humans. They just happen to be led by the crazed undead blood elf who freed them. But maybe I got that wrong. Plus it would make sense that any undead high elves who broke free would also flock to Undercity.
No no, I think you may be right, that’s why the Alliance sends non humans into Silverpine. (as you can see when you play through the storyline there). They send dwarves and elves, because they supposedly can't be resurrected into Forsaken. However you can also see undead elven rangers too, and Sylvanas herself is a dead elf, sooooo yeah? I'm sure it would not be that far of a stretch to include it. And who knows, maybe now with the Valkyries helping out, they don’t have quite the same issue of raising different races into undeath as the plague did? Anyway, it was more just for giggles... who knows, maybe I'll try and DarkIron Dwarf next ; )
Sylvanas is different from the other Undead. She didn't die and resurrect due to the plague. She was killed and raised/cursed by Arthas himself. A similar thing is true of the Death Knights who died in battle and then were raised again. Apparently only Human plague victims can become the Forsaken. Why is that? Who knows?
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Junrei wrote:
Qraljar wrote:Glad I could help, Spiritbinder and the rest.

agreed and they should do this for the Worgen too. they look so weird without tails.
I disagree there. A Worgen with a tail just wouldn't look right to me. :D
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Not to me! :D

LisaaraPokefarm

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Although I'd love for worgen to have a tail option, I don't think there is much (if any) official art or concept art that actually has worgens with tails...Even the old vanilla worgen were tail-less.
However when it comes to worgen, I really really want them to fix the female version. (and yes I know some people like the current female) personally I hate with a venomous passion the eye bulging, emaciated, "rabid" chihuahua that blizzard shit out and called a female worgen. I had such high hopes when seeing the male version, that the females would be epic, the concept art was awesome, the alpha version was pretty good, though needed some more fur fluff and it would have been great! *grabs cup of coffee to wash down the bile rising in her throat* anyhow...some people like the current one...I am not one of them.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Makoes wrote:Although I'd love for worgen to have a tail option, I don't think there is much (if any) official art or concept art that actually has worgens with tails...Even the old vanilla worgen were tail-less.
However when it comes to worgen, I really really want them to fix the female version. (and yes I know some people like the current female) personally I hate with a venomous passion the eye bulging, emaciated, "rabid" chihuahua that blizzard shit out and called a female worgen. I had such high hopes when seeing the male version, that the females would be epic, the concept art was awesome, the alpha version was pretty good, though needed some more fur fluff and it would have been great! *grabs cup of coffee to wash down the bile rising in her throat* anyhow...some people like the current one...I am not one of them.
I just want them to get rid of the eternal snarl. Male worgen barely have one. Why do females gotta look pissed off all the time?

LisaaraPokefarm

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

The curse of the worgen gives them an eternal period. XD
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

cowmuflage wrote:The curse of the worgen gives them an eternal period. XD
LOL! Apparently! That's a fate worse than death!

LisaaraPokefarm

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Danielfboone wrote:Sylvanas is different from the other Undead. She didn't die and resurrect due to the plague. She was killed and raised/cursed by Arthas himself. A similar thing is true of the Death Knights who died in battle and then were raised again. Apparently only Human plague victims can become the Forsaken. Why is that? Who knows?
Yeah, but then the Valkyrie where helping Arthas raise the deathknights into undeath... and aren't they working for Sylvanas now? so who knows ;)
And as I said in my original post regarding this, it was actually suggested by the author of a thread over at wow insider as an idea, I just did the artwork for giggles :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

I personally was also very upset with how the female worgen came out. :/ I still get the feeling that Blizzard did it because everyone whined SO MUCH about them and they decided they'd had enough and just kept them looking as stupid as possible. They changed them so many times and settled... on that? Really? I really want a high-poly version of the original. I don't give a crap if people thought they were 'too furry', I liked them that way. >.<

I never actually realised that draenei tails were long in all the concept art but omg they look SO much better that way! Yes please!!
Makoes wrote:the concept art was awesome, the alpha version was pretty good, though needed some more fur fluff and it would have been great!
The reason the alpha version looked a bit odd was because it was a low-poly version. (: At least I assume it was! A lot of game artists will produce a low polygon model first to see whether they like it or not, if they don't, they scrap it. It saves a lot of time and money. Assuming they went ahead and made the final high-poly model look like that, it would've been a lot fluffier and smoother looking, with a bunch more texture detail too. The ears especially look odd because it's very simple, flat geometry with a quick texture plastered on. xD

... We are talking about this model, right? http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosyste ... -plate.jpg

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Yeah, that one was very nice, pretty, just needed some fluff, loved the eye glow, matched the males eyes so well. Not to mention all those different hair styles that would have looked awesome on them.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Yeeeeeeessss. Those hairstyles. >.< Now all we have are really simple variations of the front of the scruffy mane...

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)