What does WoW mean to you?

pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

What does WoW mean to you?

Unread post by pengupuff »

That's a super terrible/cheesy title, but I couldn't think of a better one.

People are quick to demonize video games for their destructive qualities and, sure enough, as with anything else, too much of WoW can certainly be a bad thing. However, I think being a part of this community certainly has its positive side. I, for one, was going through a very rough patch a couple of years ago. Thankfully I distracted myself with work and gearing up for raids rather than turning to more destructive things, and the upbeat attitude of my guildies and even you guys on Petopia only served to keep me optimistic.

While escapism isn't always the answer when things fall apart, I firmly believe that getting more involved with this silly game helped keep me from turning to more destructive vices. That and the plethora of awesome people I've encountered along the way helped me to let go of shit that happened in the past.

So my question is:
How has this game/community affected you in a positive way?

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: What does WoW mean to you?

Unread post by Makoes »

For me it's many things. For one, its a social outlet for me. I've been in the same guild for years, and many of the people in that guild are from the old guild that I was in, so I've been playing with the same people for 5-7yrs. I don't have the money to travel the world where these people live, but through guild, vent and playing we socialize. Heck two of our guildies just got married and did a live stream of it so that we their guild mates could be there to celebrate as well :D
For another, its an escape when things get to stressful. I can cast of the "house wife and mother" for just a bit and become a powerful Hunter stalking the wilderness and triumphing over evils. Or be the gentle healer and support others in their endeavors to rid Pandaria of the great evils.
Other times I am the rare hunter, seeking out the rarest creatures of the land and claiming my trophies.
It has also taught me a lot about myself. From the choices I make, how I deal with difficult people, the types of people who I attract as friends in the game, I've really learned who the "real me" is. The person I am inside, and I treasure that.
And then communities like Petopia, where I am able to find so many people who share the same kind of interests as me, and be able to interact with them in wow, FR, DA, through pokemon, among others. I cherish everything that Wow has done for me.

Not to mention that going on a slaughter spree is a GREAT de-stresser to RL issues ^^

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

WoW brought me here! Okay, cheesiest thing to say ever, but seriously- WoW indirectly introduced me to some of the most important friends I've ever had. It frustrates me to no end when people scoff at 'internet friends' like they're not 'real friends'. WoW's social aspect is incredibly important, it's basically why I play. (played, I guess. I haven't played in a while due to it not being able to download on my new computer.)

But then, I was introduced to WoW when I was very young. I started playing at 10, when I was the n00biest n00b to ever roam Azeroth. But that was okay, because I was in a guild with my dad and brother, and their guild was a tight-knit family. They all knew I was a kid, but they were cool with that. They still dragged me along when they wanted to do dungeon runs, still did quests with me. Looking back I'm sure I was a huge nuisance, but if I drove them crazy, they hid it well. And because I'm me, I wasn't exactly the most popular kid in school (though I partially just imagined that because my brain is dumb), so that guild and those people were super important. Plus, I was young, and WoW was big. It dazzled me.

Then came the few years where I roleplayed on WrA, which took all the amazement of WoW and made it into something I could dive into and live in. Don't get me wrong, I sucked at roleplaying, but apparently I was good enough and I made some great friends in a roleplaying guild there. Talk about sparking my imagination- great lore or not, WoW totally reshaped me creatively. I still try to recapture that feeling sometimes- the wonder of a huge world and all the digital lives in it. Some of the most fun I have in that game is when I just let go of all the numbers and exp bars and just embrace even the most mundane quest.

tl;dr, WoW has made a huge impact on my social wellbeing and creativity, and even though I don't play much anymore, it still holds a very important place in my mind as the game that got me to where I am in many ways.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

WoW is sort of a theraphy for me sometimes. I have ADHD and Aspergers, and when I have had a stressfull day, the best thing I can do it sit down and play WoW, and only concentrate on that.
On the downside, I can't do hardcore raiding. That stresses me too much. I can barely do raid finder, but luckily I do other things in the game that I find very enjoyable. :)

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

For me, its been a way to stay in touch with family and friends.

My best friend moved to a different state years ago, and every night since she has moved we've been playing WoW for 3-4 hours every night, our way to hang out and keep our friendship over such a long distance. Also my sister and nieces all live far enough away that I hardly ever see them except for in the game.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Well...for starters...

1. WoW brought me here to Petopia! An amazing community that even with a rough start, I've found lasting friends.
2. WoW has brought me to my true love...my fiance, Edmund(Teddy). I met him through WoW on my NE druid and his Draenei warrior.
3. WoW has taught me how to work in teams with all sorts of people. There's always going to be people you don't like but you will be forced to work with them in a dungeon or in a raid to make the team progress through whatever needs your attention.
4. WoW has also given me leadership skills as I've been promoted to Officer on several occasions and now I'm a GM of my own guild. I take great pride in my guild and everyone that comes under my wing. I've learned that I cannot just make a decision on my own. I need to hear everyones two cents. I also listen to the concerns of my guildies, officers or not, and try my best to resolve them if it's within my power but also remind them if it's minor and doesn't involve the guild, it's not my place to step in.
5. I've made many new friends through WoW, some have lasted, some haven't. Either way, enjoyable experiences all around.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine